Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Spoiler:
Dad is mirror-universe native (maybe Mum too), especially given his apparent reversed T-shirt logo (was it mirrored? Was it un-mirrored when back 'this' side? Have to rewatch to unpick that, even if no longer relevant), possibly part of the reason the daughter became blind - because of developmental incompatibility between her (half?)mirror-genes and the unmirrored word.
Spoiler:
Everything was reversed in the mirror world - take a look at the Doctor's hair parting.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:49 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
Spoiler:
Dad is mirror-universe native (maybe Mum too), especially given his apparent reversed T-shirt logo (was it mirrored? Was it un-mirrored when back 'this' side? Have to rewatch to unpick that, even if no longer relevant), possibly part of the reason the daughter became blind - because of developmental incompatibility between her (half?)mirror-genes and the unmirrored word.
Spoiler:
Everything was reversed in the mirror world - take a look at the Doctor's hair parting.

Spoiler:
I wonder if they just filmed everything as normal and then mirrored the video. That would save them making a second set or needing to worry too much about making things look right, and it would probably also add a small amount of uncanniness that would suit the situation.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

Well, "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos" was a big pile of mehhhh.

Spoiler:
Why are all these people being kept in stasis, especially considering the Stenza seem to be much more interested in killing people and harvesting their teeth? What does it matter that someone ran off with one of the planet-crystal things? Wouldn't Tim Shaw recognize that bringing too many of them together would kill himself and everything in the vicinity? How did Graham and Ryan get him into the stasis chamber in the first place, especially knowing that neither of them had the guts to shoot him? Why is Graham so hell-bent on revenge when Grace was killed by falling from a tower which she really had no business climbing in the first place?

All much too contrived. Better luck next season.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 am UTC

It was… interesting. Addy was such a similar-looking character to Dooley in ep2 that I didn't realise it wasn't him for a longer time than I ought to admit. Also thought Phyllis Logan was Penelope "Harriet Jones"/"We know!" Wilton, silly me.

Spoiler responses, and other things:
Spoiler:
Ep1 established that 'targets to collect' traditionally get stasissed back on Tim's homeworld. Though he never did get back there, it seems like something he'd do if he didn't have a need to kill them (honorably, in a weird perverted way, given the two detoothed victims in ep1 were hostile towards him, even if one only by way of projectile salad).

And better the leverage with Addy to not kill them all (I wondered how long he'd been being confuzzled by the planet, to suddenly have timely contact regarding the threat and demonstration of the threat. They'd fought their way to the 'world chamber' before, he said, but how long ago I did not pick up.

Probably matters little that he ran off with the crystal, except that it was a major slight (against Tim's assumed position of god), and thus desecration (for the two who thought him such). Maybe it just had to be retrieved, because not to do so would look bad to everyone else involved?

Tim seems to have recognised/been-handed-on-a-plate the potential utility of his usurped technogodlike powers, but I don't think he quite realised the actual limits to the limitlessness.

I wondered that. Hard to manhandle someone with flash-freezing touch. Perhaps its back to that 'weird honour' aspect to the (probably a little mixed up) Tim Shaw psychology*. Maybe it's the only way, now not given 'life support' by his all-powerful 'worshippers' to mitigate the Doctor's little 'returned gifts', he knows he could survive.

* Weird, though, that a representative of a race who would kidnap scientists to force them to produce Death Planet levels of weaponry, yet focus their behaviour into a highly-regulated 'hunt' to determine succession, only to apparently produce an unethical individual who cheats in this, only for that individual to have some form of scruple after all?

If Tim hadn't happened into their lives, Grace would not have died there. Maybe if Ryan had't 'invited' him then it wouldn't have happened, either, but firstly that was a trick/incomprehensible request he fell for and secondly he cated too much for Grace to blame her grandson. Also, you might say, if Thirteen hadn't dragged them into the adventure then it wouldn't have happened, but then if Thirteen hadn't fallen into the train they were already liable to be 'disposed of' by Tim's CGI bundle thing's implants. It sort of makes sense that it all comes down to Tim Shaw, and to think otherwise would be like blaming Grace's death on Grace herself for the strong-willed drive to do the right thing that he loved her for.

Further thought, assuming this wasn't mentioned already during a moment of distraction: Was one of the grabbed planets the Finish Line planet of ep2? As a planet used to test weapons, what better planet to grab as a test of this weapon. And imperfect recall/temporal adjustment might explain why it wasn't where the racers thought it should be (assuming that wasn't because of the scientist's self-sabotage or their captor's reprisal, already). And that planet could have been snatched and returned before Ep2 (after the last note of its supposed location, not sure whether it'd have been impossible to have had the Ghost Monument on it at the time, making it a bit like the Men In Black bauble/marble to all those concerned) in its own timeline as visited by Thirteen & Fam, even if it was them who did it later. IYSWIM.

And a good job Thirteen mentioned The Stolen Earth, because it was abnormally similar. Infringing upon whatever the plot-equivakent is of the No Two Steves Rule of characters.

Some flaws in the episode (and even where I've 'justified' flaws, in the above spoiler, I'm not saying they aren't flaws) but I think it was more solidly constructed (overall) than the average of the series. I will have to do that binge I mentioned, though, to properly reassess this set.

And we also learn today that not only is the Christmas Episode going to be a New Years Day episode (as we have known for a short while, seemingly the first Christmas Day since 2005 without its Doctor Who, even when the full serieses/seasons skipped years) but Thirteen's second run proper is going to be 2020, so making it perhaps even more significant that 2019 may only have the 1st/Jan first-broadcast of an episode.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:14 am UTC

I was in San Diego for Thanksgiving and saw this and wondered if Doctor Who was referencing that of if there's a better-known Tim Shaw? (Or if the joke is just that the alien's name sounds like a mundane Earth name?)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am UTC

There's a TV presenter from Yorkshire called Tim Shaw. I've no idea if they're referencing anyone in particular, but he seems the most likely.

On another note, this season apparently had the second highest average ratings (for a non-special) of Doctor Who in the revived era, with 7.96 million viewers on average.

Series 4 had the highest ratings weirdly, when Catherine Tate was the assistant and I switched off.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am UTC

Whichever way, I'm sure Thirteen, like Ten (who had the Raxacoricofallapatorians to refer to numerous times, and Bannakaffalatta in full as asked) knew how to say his name from the start and was entirely doing it out of mischief (put-on-the-back-foot antagonism of Tzim/T'zim/T'Zim-Sha for psychological advantage) , despite some fan resources I've seen stating that she did mishear him.

The TARDIS's translator-microbes rarely work back to first principles like "Peter, The Rock" on proper-names (and sporadically upon non-human speech peculiarities, so the Hath were completely out of luck) but the Doctor themselves tends to have an ability or knowledge of language (perhaps the babelfish mechanism is tuned down to what they needed, which makes you wonder about how jokes and puns should work between alien-native, the Doctor and any Companions (of varying origins!) present. ;)

(Also "Doctor" with meanng of "Warrior" for Lorna Bucket, and others, in his role as saviour paladin yet the name stays Doctor. Except where it's, e.g., one of the Dalek nicknames for him as adversary. Consistency? Not here, mate! ;))

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:43 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Series 4 had the highest ratings weirdly, when Catherine Tate was the assistant and I switched off.
She was the best companion of the revival. You missed out.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Mutex wrote:Series 4 had the highest ratings weirdly, when Catherine Tate was the assistant and I switched off.
She was the best companion of the revival. You missed out.

AM I BOVVERED?

I think it was the Christmas special she appeared in that turned me off, wasn't that the one with evil robot Christmas trees and snowmen? So yeah, general disenchantment with Dr Who at that point and with RTD's style pushed me away as much as finding Tate a bit obnoxious.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm UTC

The evil Christmas tree was in the first Christmas special, with Rose. The snowmen were much later, in an Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) one.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:08 pm UTC

Ah ok, I guess it was largely Tate that turned me off it then.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

Tate was a christmas bride in her first appearance. It wasn't that good of a christmas episode (except the villain looked very real and silly because it was made out of real props rather than CGI'd together). I liked her as a companion though, partly because she was rarely a "doctor help" kind of companion—instead she surpassed the doctor in some skills. And she was really disillusioned about aliens.

Anyway, I still have to watch the last two episodes of this season. Since it seems like episode 9 is received significantly better than 10, should I watch them in reverse order? Or would episode 10 spoil too much about 9?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:46 pm UTC

Episode 10 doesn't spoil anything about 9. Except they all survive, I guess.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:And she was really disillusioned about aliens.
Well, when she didn't entirely miss the alien goings-on...

Tate/Noble had her good bits, but the OTT character-acting was a turn-off for me in both pre-Who and Who material. Clever-but-too-clever. She was essentially DoctorDonna far too much (even without the knowledge to work Davros's lever-console-thing), even if Master Of The Mundane in her Super-Temp role.

In some stories this worked out well (the mostly Donna-only 'Turn Left' came out good) but a rest from her (mostly Donna-less 'Midnight') was a net positive, IMO. And when we see her End Of Time self, at last getting beyond the bridal-gown stage with a real suitorband becoming Mrs Noble-Temple at the end, I did not think that the former Mr Noble was going to be a lucky man. Except (especially?) with the Doctor's gift from her Dad.

IMO. And don't ask me to fully rank companions, but in nuWho I'd say Martha's probably up there, with pre-vortex Rose and certainly some of Amy's tenure. Clara, beyond her revelatory Deus Ex cameo-as-every-companion-ever got a little ruined, perhaps. Brian Williams, Astrid and Perkins were untested in the role (I think I could have stood Brian for longest, though). But I found Handles and K9 grating less than typical-Donna.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:44 pm UTC

I liked Martha too. Most of the new-Who companions blur together for me, I mean I can barely write one word to describe Clara's personality. And Amy's. They're both... "feisty"? Which seemed to be the only way the Who writers could write a female character at that time. But yeah, Martha felt like a person. I read recently that she was written out after one season because the fans didn't like her though, which I found surprising, although depressingly I think I can guess what was behind it... Reactionary, socially conservative Doctor Who fans might not be something invented in the last couple of years.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Martha felt like a person. I read recently that she was written out after one season because the fans didn't like her though, which I found surprising, although depressingly I think I can guess what was behind it... Reactionary, socially conservative Doctor Who fans might not be something invented in the last couple of years.

My assumption at the time was that it was simply having a companion not played by Billie Piper that prompted the backlash. It's entirely possible that Freema Agyeman's appearance also played a part - personally, I preferred Martha to Rose - and still give her credit for being the only nuWho Companion to just walk away rather than having to take out a metaphysical restraining order on the Doctor just to get away...

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:26 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:My assumption at the time was that it was simply having a companion not played by Billie Piper that prompted the backlash. It's entirely possible that Freema Agyeman's appearance also played a part - personally, I preferred Martha to Rose - and still give her credit for being the only nuWho Companion to just walk away rather than having to take out a metaphysical restraining order on the Doctor just to get away...

Reading the message boards at the time and fan reaction since, I didn't get that fans hated her character so much as they hated the way 10 treated her. It was like the woman who starts dating a guy who can never ever shut up about his ex-wife and how awesome she was and how the new lady in his life will never compare to her. NEVER!! Although the fact that she was another companion who was in love with the Doctor didn't help, either, especially after Rose had been so OTT about it in S2. Just remember the collective sigh of relief during Partners in Crime when Donna said she wasn't interested in 10 romantically.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:46 am UTC

Welp, today's show was okay, I suppose. Not great, but comfortingly familiar in some ways.

Needless to say there's still absolutely no resolution on that plot coupon from the second episode. What was up with that!?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:53 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Needless to say there's still absolutely no resolution on that plot coupon from the second episode. What was up with that!?

Heck there's still some Minister of War thing they never got back to from four years ago. Likely a sufficiently motivated pedant could find dozens.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:36 am UTC

I liked the subtle (fleeting) Brexit joke in there. I can imagine there'd be complaints*. But I can't imagine Thirteen wouldn't consider that call (at this level of danger, well beyond the Tim Shaw/spiders level).

edit: * - Yup! Predictably thin skins! Don't mind me. Also that URL is a major spoiler, so don't even hover over it if you're not yet ready.

Stand-alone special. With character development just to keep things interesting.

Comment from fellow watcher (not a fan, only half paying attention and humouring my viewing choice), in the first few minutes was "Is this not Doctor Who?". Though she saw the cold-opened ep1 which was similarly Doctor(/pre-existing-characters)-lite and relatively mundane. And I know that they occasionally go for narrative starts to such episodes (e.g. End Of Time, albeit less mundanely).

(Mild spoiler, in its still slightly vague form as originally written.)
Spoiler:
Obvious "Chekhov's Cardboard Box" was obvious, but no more or less than random TARDIS capabilities revealed at need.

Given the 2020 series is on the way, I imagine some of the ep2/etc breadcrumbs are still being held in reserve. Rather than having to reappropriate a prior plot-mark or reinterpret a throwaway line as having a useful meaning.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm UTC

I'm more bothered about something from this episode not getting any sort of resolution than about dangling hooks from past episodes.

Spoiler:
They spend the first few minutes of the episode doing the Justice League opening on a BBC budget (never mind how someone managed to travel from the UK to a Pacific island in the 9th Century), then they show the modern Custodians reacting to their charges disappearing, and then nothing. Instead, their secret knowledge that had been expunged from history is conveyed by a book that one of the archaeologists has. Why not bring them into the resolution directly - when someone asks how the Dalek was originally defeated, Ryan suggests they go back and look, the Doctor says they can't time travel without giving the Dalek the chance to get away. Yaz says it's a shame there's no-one around today who knows what happened. Graham asks how they know there isn't - Doc said there was a matter transfer so the Dalek was in pieces - who moved the other pieces? The Doctor uses the TARDIS to go to one of the locations where the Dalek was buried, and steps out asking "Anyone lost a chunk of Dalek?". Then the Custodian can explain the story and they can use the same solution, letting the Custodian(s) know that their vigil ended in the enemy's final destruction rather than in mysterious failure.

Soupspoon wrote:I liked the subtle (fleeting) Brexit joke in there. I can imagine there'd be complaints*.

edit: * - Yup! Predictably thin skins! Don't mind me. Also that URL is a major spoiler, so don't even hover over it if you're not yet ready.

And maybe don't read the comments section for that article either - my personal favourite is: "Watched the early evening news yesterday on the BBC one reporter was asking people what they wanted in the new year and the last person asked said he wanted brexit reversed. Now I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion on brexit but to have his biased opinion aired on the BBC is showing how much this organization with its over paid so called talent needs a clear out from the top to the bottom" Polling data shows that the "biased opinion" is one shared by between 40% and 50% of the country. How dare the BBC air something that represents the opinion of so many people?

Anyway, yeah, just the viewer comments reported in the article itself have left me wanting to bathe in case it turns out that sort of worldview is contagious - do people really believe that leaving the EU wouldn't mean losing EU funded projects?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'm more bothered about something from this episode not getting any sort of resolution than about dangling hooks from past episodes.

(Snipped spoiler. Using "vague mode" for an already proven incidental detail.)

I was also sympathetic to the descendants. By whatever combination of accurate knowledge or intense belief they were ensured to still be maintaining their vigil*, it's going to psychologically hurt. Unless I missed something when aforementioned "is this not Doctor Who?" co-viewer asked another distracting question of me.

(* In one case, lucky it happened before sea levels rose, right?)

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 am UTC

Spoilers for the New Year special, S11E11 Resolution.

So they finally threw a bone to the people who like callbacks and continuity.

Spoiler:
Daleks are still part of the universe. None of the Earthlings have heard of them, so I suppose it is not clear how much has changed. UNIT and Kate are still a thing, almost, so that's nice.

The manner in which the Dalek scout is introducedwas somewhat original, and lol @ him building his own suit from scrap like Iron Man.

Was The Doctor trying to kill Aaron? Cause that's how you kill Aaron.
Last edited by OP Tipping on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Spoilers for the New Year special, S11E11 Resolution.
You should use [spoiler] tags.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:07 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
OP Tipping wrote:Spoilers for the New Year special, S11E11 Resolution.
You should use [spoiler] tags.

Fair. Done.

I tried to spoilerise a few words but it seems you can't do that without generating line breaks, which looked messy.

What is the deal with Rotten Tomatoes? The Rotten Tomatoes audience appreciation scores for this series have been amazingly bad.

I mean I know it is all too easy to complain about an RT metric when it doesn't agree with your own views, but sometimes it just plain doesn't make sense. Consider:

The RT Audience Score for the series as a whole is 22%.
The RT Audience Score for the New Years episode, Resolution, was 15%, with an average rating of 1.5/5. So what does this mean? That most people hated the shit out of the series but somehow still bothered to watch Resolution, which they hated even more?

Other audience response measures, such as the Audience Appreciation Index in the UK, were pretty positive, in the 80% range. Reviews were mainly positive, and the ratings were good.

Consider further: the audience responses on RT are peppered with ½ star ratings with no comment, or a one word comment. Obv, some people are busy and just want to register their score, but most of the people who left no comment gave ½ star, and most of those who gave ½ star left no comment.

I mean heck, this wasn't my favourite season, and Resolution wasn't my favourite holiday special, but there's something awry at RT.Image
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 am UTC

Some people, I know*, will have downright detested this series like they detested the recent Ghostbusters*. And they* throw around the term meaniehead (edit: <= it seems that currently the forum 'corrects' to "meaniehead" from "Ess Jay Doubleyou", and I have no objection at all to this except insofar as clarity in this meta-case) , and more recently the "NPC" meme, quite liberally. Which is ironic in itself.

I did not think this series was top-notch, and I don't think many did for a number of varied reasons, but I've a feeling there's a vocal minority who have hated it. So long as they get recognised as the lesser part of the audience (should not dictate the future direction of the series, preferably being ignored) I'm happy to let the h8ers h8, because maybe it'll let me work out who to avoid.

(I still haven't even spoken about the series with the people I know who I am positive would be the most negative about. Managed to avoid the subject, for the sake of sanity. Before that Ghostbusters even came out, I was shown the trailer by them. I started appreciative chortling at the obviously-in-deliberate-homage-to-the-original footage used in it. The intended reaction was more along the lines of being outraged at a classic movie having been desecrated in the name of Feminazism, or somesuch related travesty. I still haven't seen the femi-ghostbuster film, because it dissappeared from the box-office before I got time to see it - like far too many films have done! - but at the time of this tale it hadn't been yet released and the 'educated' opinions about the film's merits from the limited viewers who had seen significant amounts of pre-release footage were lost in the haze of speculative disliking of the gender-flipped casting alone.)

And you get a lot of people like this who can mobilise a similar sight-unseen 'campaign' of bad reviews. Not limited to just the Unreconstructed White Anglo-Saxon Male camp, either..

Also, for individual words being spoilered-out, try using the colo(u)r tag, with "transparent" inserted instead of a classic colour-name or RGB triplet/sextuplet.
For example, instead of "red" or "#00FF00" or "#00F", the word "transparent" is rendered invisible until the text is selected-over by mouse/similar. In an up-to-date regular browser, that is. It might get displayed in Lynx, spoken by screen-readers or revealed when grabbed for use by other tools. And should someone quote-for-reply and look at the quoted text.

And if you want to use this method then you do need to make it obvious because it otherwise can look a lot like nothing is there. Assuming it works in the first place.

But the spoiler-tag is the established way of (temporarily) hiding paragraphs of spoiler-material, on many varieties of forum system. The one thing that this incarnation doesn't do is allow [spoiler=This is a spoiler regarding Foo]Isn't Foo just so FUBAR, right Baz?[/spoiler] to give the spoiler-expander explanatory text. You have to manually prefix (or, if daring, postfix) the spoilered text-and-tags-themselves with the detailed justification for spoioering (or forbthe reader to wish to despoiler). But that can be lived without, if the BBS admin don't want to use the necessarily expanded tag-converter to accept the param when transforming it to the browser-ready hypertext equivalent.

* In fact: "some people I know".
Last edited by Soupspoon on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Consider further: the audience responses on RT are peppered with ½ star ratings with no comment, or a one word comment. Obv, some people are busy and just want to register their score, but most of the people who left no comment gave ½ star, and most of those who gave ½ star left no comment.

I mean heck, this wasn't my favourite season, and Resolution wasn't my favourite holiday special, but there's something awry at RT.

It is hardly beyond the realm of possibility that some individuals hated the episode enough that they made multiple accounts to leave more bad reviews. Or even that some people who actually liked the episode felt like leaving bad reviews to stir up controversy. That sort of thing.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:52 pm UTC

Finally sat down to watch the last of season 11 and the 2019 episode. They were all "okay I guess".
Mirror universe was the worst with its inconsistencies.
Spoiler:
Really, what's the point of filling half the episode with "oooh scary antizone labyrinth" if you disregard it afterwards? Those flesh moths that are attracted to sound, light and movement stopped being a threat the moment the doctor could successfully shout "Run!" and escape. Also a missed opportunity for giving Hanna Matrix-vision in the antizone so she could navigate it and lead the rest of the crew back.
Also, if mirror universe could support Erik just fine, then why did it keep crumbling when only the doctor was left? They could've easily changed the story to "doctor helps build a universe with a mind-melt, then asks frog god to be sent back, then tells the rest that she's going to miss it". Alas, one might say, if the mirrorverse isn't breaking up anymore, there's no danger of shaky cams in the antizone, and they already killed off the moths as a credible threat, so it'd become a walk in the park. Well, the antizone should've stabilized anyway the moment the doctor is sent back, unless frog god is somehow in control of it. And just keep the moths a credible threat: let them be attracted to noise and visible creatures. Don't give them the power to turn off the light, but instead have the characters turn it off out of self-preservation. And if you need safe points, like around the portals and the base of the Sicorax ripoff, have some noise or light of smell there. (Smell is a particularly nice one because it has to be mentioned, and DW loves explaining through dialogue.). Let Hanna guide everyone back with her Matrix vision ...or just more perceptive hearing/smelling because that is a real thing with blind people. Well, the doctor can do that even better since she could tell precise time and location by tasting dirt, but it's easy to separate doc and the rest, so the rest has to rely on Hanna.
Not sure how to kill off Cirque-du-Soleil-man in this version, but I'm not sure whether he should die at all. He's a sly fox but he's not a mass-murderer or anything. And he has the best survival odds in his own world.

The Return of the King Living Dead Xander Cage Swamp Thing Tim Shaw had some nice moments between Ryan and Graham, though I had expected Graham to be less uneasy with being considered granddad. (They've been familiarizing constantly for, what, 2 months? If that's not enough to strengthen family bonds, then I don't know what is.) And I would've loved more world-building. Seriously, they introduce a race that can make anything out of thin air, but only let them create something in the first minutes? I really hope that race will return in a later season with more sensible use of their powers.

Regarding the New Year's episode: I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going. :mrgreen: Oh right, this is a family show. It would've taken a very different turn had it been Torchwood. (Wasn't it, like, the first episode that had the sex gas?)
Spoiler:
What I don't get is why the dalek didn't move over to the physically strongest/mentally weakest host. Yes yes, plot and love interest. But the dalek would've been more intriguing if it switched hosts. Well, not that it mattered much once it got the exterminator tube.
The fireworks display with the military felt really out of place. Sure, they want to show off that a dalek is really evil and powerful (though not powerful enough to survive a single episode), but making an infantry squad appear out of nowhere and killing them off in an open field is just silly. Especially after the doctor did not ask for reinforcements (that aren't UNIT).
That sequence with the doctor tracking/not tracking the dalek reminds me a lot of kids playing pretend. ("I'm wearing an invisibility cloak!" "I got invisibility seeing glasses!" "I got an invisibility glasses disruptor!" "I can see your footprints!" "I'm on a hoverboard!") I hope that was the intended effect, because it's really easy to follow a path of destroyed traffic cams (or destruction in general). Or use an extraterrestrial entity scanner.

TL;DR: I believe the writers/directors can do better. Better character drama—I commend their efforts of having 4 characters work together in the same story lines for a whole season, although no one forced them to do so—does not mean you can slack off on the story. Maybe it's nostalgia or recency bias, but it feels to me that only the stories/world building/consistency/whatchamacallit have detariorated while everything else has improved or at least stayed the same. (I just rewatched a bunch of the first new-who seasons and, boy, is it full of dutch angles. And real closeups because you could still do that on 2006 TVs. Also, while the music had more recognizable motifs, it was bombastic and very much on the foreground.)
That's not to say the whole season was bad: I really enjoyed Kerblam and Tsuranga, and I guess the first episode and the Punjab one too. Though I would've liked to see Kerblam ending with the evil guy imprisoned and Punjab with the older brother showing remorse.

Soupspoon wrote:and more recently the "NPC" meme

Please don't tell me that virus has entered more mainstream use. Like you say, it's very contradictory to throw it around like everybody else. And it's mostly used as "I disagree with you" instead of "wake up sheeple". And the quality of the accompanied image macros is very poor, but that has never deterred a meme from happening.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 pm UTC

I am not familiar with the "NPC" meme, unless it's just the old-timey pen-and-paper RPG slang meaning basically "unimportant person" (the likes of whom The Doctor has never met), but it sounds like there's something more to it than that?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:48 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I am not familiar with the "NPC" meme, unless it's just the old-timey pen-and-paper RPG slang meaning basically "unimportant person" (the likes of whom The Doctor has never met), but it sounds like there's something more to it than that?
It's a term right-wing people are using to refer to anyone they don't like, supposedly because such people never do anything important.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 am UTC

NPC is a term used by conservatives--particularly Trump-supporting alt-right individuals--to describe people who disagree with them as being incapable of independent thought. The idea is that if you do not support Donald Trump or alt-right ideals, you are allegedly regurgitating rehearsed rhetoric fed to you by the "leftist" mainstream media. The irony of developing a meme to describe such individuals is completely lost on the people who use the meme.

In conservative and alt-right memes, NPCs are visually represented by taking the "I know that feel bro" rage face from the early 2010s, changing its skin tone to a flat grey, and replacing the face with a blank and featureless facial expression.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”