2108: "Carbonated Beverage Language Map"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Socks

2108: "Carbonated Beverage Language Map"

Postby Socks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm UTC

Title Text: There's one person in Missouri who says "carbo bev" who the entire rest of the country HATES.

https://xkcd.com/2108/

As a Michigander, I think "Sugar Water" is the only unusual term I've really heard before.

DavidSh

Re: 2108: "Carbonated Beverage Language Map"

Postby DavidSh » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

The real map would be mostly "Soda" or "Pop", with small enclaves of "Coke" and "Sodapop", I would presume.

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm UTC

Who's Brad, and why can't he spell elixir correctly?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:05 pm UTC

Shame on any map, real or made up, for not recognizing New Hampshire's "tonic."

Now on to Frappes vs. Milkshakes vs. Eggcreams
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm UTC

While I'm a bit regionally insulted by "sugar oil", I think I can work with "glug", "aether", and "sparkle fluid". Though in practice I oft go with "beverage", but pronounced "beh-və-rah-gei".
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Now on to Frappes vs. Milkshakes vs. Eggcreams

Those are all different things, not different names for the same thing.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm UTC

Maybe Brad is an etymologist? From his perspective the second i is there because some Arab couldn't spell "xeron" right.

Atlanta really sticks out. They have strong opinions on coke. Also, there you don't call carbonated wine champagne, you call a stripper that.

Once in college (in upstate new York) I was selling concessions; I charged $1 for soda and $1.25 for pop.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm UTC

I like "tickle juice".

I imagine those states have free-range ticklers roaming the lands and every three months farmers herd them together and squeeze the juice out of their skin. And of course they get a new anti-fungal spray, otherwise you're harvesting liquor.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:40 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Maybe Brad is an etymologist? From his perspective the second i is there because some Arab couldn't spell "xeron" right.

Atlanta really sticks out. They have strong opinions on coke. Also, there you don't call carbonated wine champagne, you call a stripper that.

Once in college (in upstate new York) I was selling concessions; I charged $1 for soda and $1.25 for pop.

Yeah .. In Georgia its all coke. What kind of coke do you want? "sprite"

I believe that Georgia residents are legally mandated to call it coke.

SuperCow

Postby SuperCow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 pm UTC

Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that this map was completely fictional? During the split second when the comic appeared but before I started "reading" it, I got excited that maybe Randall had actually done the research to determine what the most popular regional colloquialisms for soda/pop/whatever are in the United States.

I still want to see *that* map.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 pm UTC

SuperCow wrote:Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that this map was completely fictional? During the split second when the comic appeared but before I started "reading" it, I got excited that maybe Randall had actually done the research to determine what the most popular regional colloquialisms for soda/pop/whatever are in the United States.

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

SuperCow

Postby SuperCow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:
SuperCow wrote:Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that this map was completely fictional? During the split second when the comic appeared but before I started "reading" it, I got excited that maybe Randall had actually done the research to determine what the most popular regional colloquialisms for soda/pop/whatever are in the United States.

Awesome, thanks. IMO that's way more interesting than today's comic.

I kinda want to know what the terms in the green counties are.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm UTC

SuperCow wrote:
JPatten wrote:

Right now its just "Other". It may be that only ONE person from that county responded with something different and there isn't enough data to know. Unless you can dig into the raw data somehow

Socks

Postby Socks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 pm UTC

I was actually really hoping this was going to be the map for everything besides pop, soda, and Coke - like the first word you'd come up with if you couldn't use one of the big three.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

toni2068

Postby toni2068 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:The real map would be mostly "Soda" or "Pop", with small enclaves of "Coke" and "Sodapop", I would presume.

Soft drink.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 am UTC

toni2068 wrote:
DavidSh wrote:The real map would be mostly "Soda" or "Pop", with small enclaves of "Coke" and "Sodapop", I would presume.

Soft drink.

Doesn't "soft drink" include non-carbonated drinks?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 am UTC

From the bits of this side of the pond that I can speak of with sufficient authority:
Pop/Fizzy Drink: Carbonated (non-alcoholic) drink.
Fizz: Champagne/Sparkling wine
(FOO)ade: Carbonated clear¹ drink of FOO 'flavour' (¹ - but, except for FOO=="lemon" being totally untinted, coloured to match the FOO)
Cloudy Lemonade: As above but not clear, with expectation of flavour/colour being more likely from actual lemons and not just based upon citric acid and other elements
Pop/Juice/Cordial: still² diluted concentrate of flavours and colours. (² as in "not carbonated", not "it remains thus")
Council Pop: Water from the tap.
FOO Juice: allegedly squeezed FOO, but typically the concentrate of squeezed FOO made near the point of growing (likely oversees for most fruit of interest) later rediluted and reblended at the point(s) of national distribution. Occasionally with some 'original pulp' mixed in as bits.
Fresh FOO Juice: Joe in the kitchen has a machine that works on relatively fresh (maybe bruised too much to be cut and served in a fruit salad or even trifle) fruit. It might have a lever and work on one FOO at a time, or it might be something with a spinning drum that's like tipping a fruit-bowl into a washing machine crossed with a cheese-grater and tapping the drain.
Coke: Any cola. Coca/Pepsi/own-brand/other-brand. You may get "It's Pepsi, is that Ok?" from a barman, but occasionally "It's Coke Coke, is that alright" or similar has been heard.
Irn Bru: Irn Bru
Iron Brew: Copycat of Irn Bru, probably not made in Scotland/likely not made from Girders/definitely not from Barrs.
(D'yer Wanna) Brew: tea, beer, coffee, and you'll be expected to know which from social context, and like what you get if you said yes to it.
Bucky: Buckfast Fortified (including with caffeine) Wine.
Export: High-strength import lager, so cheap that half the cost (after freight?) is probably the aluminium tube it's in, but at least it's sterile.
Dram: A little of what you fancy does you good. No ice, thanks, I'll take it straight.

…and probably (as I've strayed well away from "Pop", along the way) loads of other terms and things I've not mentioned. But "soda" is soda-water alone (not that I've seen it dispensed from soda-fountains) that I presume is somewhat like the anti-malarial "Tonic" from Schw…YouKnowWho that ought to be used as the T in a G&T. And the closest to Peanuts/Perishers-style "lemonade stand" lemonade we get is iced water with lemon slices/segments dunked in the jug to 'seep' passively, no sugar added at all or any real attempt to force the issue except for maybe a vigorous stirring.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
toni2068 wrote:

Soft drink.

Doesn't "soft drink" include non-carbonated drinks?

As the opposite of "hard drink" (i.e. alcoholic stuff), it should. But I've never heard anyone call OJ or Kool-aid a "soft drink".

This does happen in Japan, though, where every sugar-water, carbonated or not, is "juice".

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:56 am UTC

(Indeed, I forgot to place Soft Drink in my little list. Context is all, and… How to delineate the boundaries? That was my initial aim in making the unexhaustive list, but I've skirted around the issue and I'm still not sure how to define it…)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:30 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Irn Bru: Irn Bru

I'm falling through the air...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(FOO)ade: Carbonated clear¹ drink of FOO 'flavour' (¹ - but, except for FOO=="lemon" being totally untinted, coloured to match the FOO)

Lemonade can also just be carbonated water with artificial sweetener - or at least it could a couple of decades ago - I've not bothered keeping track. The main differences from sparkling mineral water are the inclusion of the sweetener, and being 10% or less of the price.

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 am UTC

I've heard that some places call it "lemonade."

Pfhorrest wrote:

You'd think, but it's more complicated than that, apparently.

Ignoring egg creams, there are three beverages at question here:

1. Ice cream (or some facsimile of ice cream) and milk blended together, possibly with other flavors
2. Ice, milk, and other flavors blended together
3. Flavored milk

#1 is called a milkshake in the US, though Wikipedia claims it's called a frappe in New England and Canada, and a "thick" milkshake elsewhere.

#2 is a frappe in the US. No idea what it's called elsewhere. Or in New England, for that matter.

#3 is apparently called a milkshake in the UK. Again, going by Wikipedia.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:27 am UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:2. Ice, milk, and other flavors blended together

#2 is a frappe in the US. No idea what it's called elsewhere. Or in New England, for that matter.

Here in California the generic name for that I'd use is an "ice blended drink", with "frappe" being McDonalds' trademark for that, like how (and probably derived from) how "frappuccino" is Starbucks'. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf claims to have been the originator of that style of drink (and still call it an "ice blended"), for whatever that's worth.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am UTC

SuperCow wrote:
JPatten wrote:

Mostly "soft drink", "tonic" or "soda pop", but silly answers aren't filtered out: http://www.popvssoda.com/statistics/TOTAL.html

DanD

Postby DanD » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:19 pm UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:

I've heard that some places call it "lemonade."

Pfhorrest wrote:

You'd think, but it's more complicated than that, apparently.

Ignoring egg creams, there are three beverages at question here:

1. Ice cream (or some facsimile of ice cream) and milk blended together, possibly with other flavors
2. Ice, milk, and other flavors blended together
3. Flavored milk

#1 is called a milkshake in the US, though Wikipedia claims it's called a frappe in New England and Canada, and a "thick" milkshake elsewhere.

#3 is apparently called a milkshake in the UK. Again, going by Wikipedia.

Not quite, and I only realized the difference after living in the Boston area for some time. A milkshake typically gets all of it's flavoring from the ice cream. A Frappe (Boston Usage) may use a flavored ice cream, but it has flavored syrup in it as well.

I've never heard use 2 as you're reporting it, to me that is a smoothie. If Frappe is used for that, it is derived from the coffee beverage, which is the result of a Starbucks trademark originally created by a Boston coffee shop based on the New England usage of Frappe. (There is a greek version which is essentially just an iced coffee, but different etymology).

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:23 pm UTC

Jonathan Crowe in The Map Room:

By law, I am required to share every xkcd comic about maps.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

I don't see "Quickgravy", "Efferessence" or "Belchifacient water".

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:36 pm UTC

"Prophlogisicated Aqueous Syrup"

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm UTC

For a long time my kids called them "spicy drinks". I'm not missing that on here am I?

jgh

Postby jgh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 am UTC

Now I challenge you to map the names of a circular item of bread often sliced horizontally to make a sandwich.

After that I can teach you what a fishcake is. :D

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:23 am UTC

/me now wants a fishcake butty. Either kind. If not now then for tomorrow's dinner. Either kind.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:(FOO)ade: Carbonated clear¹ drink of FOO 'flavour' (¹ - but, except for FOO=="lemon" being totally untinted, coloured to match the FOO)

Lemonade can also just be carbonated water with artificial sweetener - or at least it could a couple of decades ago - I've not bothered keeping track. The main differences from sparkling mineral water are the inclusion of the sweetener, and being 10% or less of the price.

As an American, that whole “lemonade is carbonated” thing seems is so wrong to me. I’ve literally never thought of it as anything other than the drink made from lemon juice, sugar, and water. (Same for limeade, but subsititute limes for lemons.)

I did notice at least one thing on the map that at least meshes with stereotypes about what soda people drink in different regions: the TX/Mexico border is labeled “code red”, and Big Red is almost certainly the most popular soda in south Texas. (Though that could well be a concidience).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 am UTC

Code Red is also a flavor of Mountain Dew, which I assumed the map was referring to.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm UTC

rabidmuskrat wrote:For a long time my kids called them "spicy drinks". I'm not missing that on here am I?

Try Maine Root Ginger Beer. Spicy it is.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm UTC

I've taken to a supermarket own-brand ginger beer, a bit, these days. Likely mostly chemical (yes, all chemicals, YKWIM) but I suspect that whatever it is (natural or synthesised) that is to ginger like capsaicin is to peppers is projected out of the freshly open bottle (or immediately after poured-into tall glass) with the fizz and actually causes me to cough, like no other carbonated beverage even from the same range or even the "Jamaican Ginger" major-brand you'd pay twice the price for (but does taste very similarly ginger-hot, I think; never having taste-tested them both together, blind or otherwise).

Not sure if that's good or bad.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:31 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:This does happen in Japan, though, where every sugar-water, carbonated or not, is "juice".

Likewise in Scotland.

toni2068

Postby toni2068 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm UTC

I like the aesthetic of that colored map that was linked above.
Reading that list of "other" names, though, it's clear that the polling was easily gameable. Rigged, I say!

Like, the south doesn't say "coke" very much. I live in Alabama, and I've heard it maybe once in my life. Everyone I know says soda, except my partner who is from Michigan who says pop.

if you read the wordier responses in the "other" category it's clear people will use anything to feel superior to others

thanks,

-a communist

rick.s

Postby rick.s » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 am UTC

The map seems to be missing Slusho!

Then again it would also need a space labeled "here there be monsters"

jonat

Postby jonat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 pm UTC

In the 60s I was a kid living in Florida, and I loved milkshakes, which were universally made with ice cream. Then my family moved to Maine and I wondered why the milkshakes were so thin. One day I was in a restaurant and noticed, next to milkshake on the menu, was "Frappe". I had never heard of this and asked the waitress what it was. She replied that it was a milkshake with ice cream mixed in!

Nowadays, "frappe" has pretty much disappeared except at some traditional New England chains such as Friendly's.

I also learned, upon moving to Maine, that a "reguiar" coffee there was not an alternative to decaf, but rather coffee with cream and sugar. I've since heard that the meaning is somewhat different in other parts of the country.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”