The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 am UTC

wam wrote:Sorry for the delay with this life has been hectic. Will get it up and running in the next 48 hours.
:(

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 am UTC

wam wrote:
wam wrote:Having looked through setups at lunch I think I will run with the one below if i can get one more player?

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=8Matrix

Sorry for the delay with this life has been hectic. Will get it up and running in the next 48 hours.

I'll play (only) if you need me for the game to run (otherwise put me in replacements). But if I play it's going have to be as Madge's meta.

Sabrar wrote: :(
Awww. :(

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 am UTC

bessie can you please play with my meta as often as possible thanks
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:32 am UTC

Madge wrote:bessie can you please play with my meta as often as possible thanks
But then she would be forced to find herself scummy...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
@moody: please accept my sincere apologies. You were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm UTC

Golden Gun

Spoiler:
Bad News: I think based on the flavor and Sabrar's apology, I was killed in friendly fire.
Good News: I think Mark is dead also, and based on him also being at Sabrar's place he is most certainly scum.
Better News: The spoiler binge is going to be much more satisfying for this game than average.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
There was a pseudo- Mexican Standoff at Sabrar's house, involving Moody, Mark and Wam.
Sabrar resolved the issue Bolivian Army style.

Golden gun endgame analysis:
Spoiler:
Sabrar:
Needs to get Plytho killed to win since he triggered the vengeance condition. Shooting Freezeblade is a loss since the license to kill is used up, but will cause Plytho to lose as well.
Needs to either get a weapon for that since he unloaded everything last night, or convince Freeze to shoot Plytho...

Freezeblade:
Needs to get that Solex out of Bessie's safehouse and into MI6 hands as admitted.
Needs to end the Plytho/Sabrar feud so the game can end; surviving to find the solex in the epilogue will work. Boils down to just not dying first.
Guaranteed a half-win for keeping the solex out of enemy hands.

Plytho:
Needs to personally kill Sabrar for revenge. In the worst position of the three, as he doesn't have a weapon at the moment. Pretty simple situation. Somitomi's infinite pile of American dakka is the best place to look, but there could be a couple other trick options such as with the leftover poisoned objects.

Most other players depend on results of this:
Bessie gets a Win, as the Solex can no longer be used for an instant death ray.
Mark got a Loss for dying.

Moody needs Plytho to die.
Somitomi needs Sabrar to live.
Wam needs Sabrar to die.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:14 am UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
So if there is actually a Lyncher out to get me then I'm screwed. I have no bullets left and no protection. somitomi was shot D3, I was shot D5. I guess I could try to steal another gun tonight but then I'm still dead D7 before I get the chance to use it.
If there is no Lyncher then I should just out myself as Survivor and ask scum to shoot the other player. But this can also wait until tomorrow.
Or I could try to wait until plytho dies from poison and hope that there is no day-kill anymore? I can probably avoid getting shot during the night. This works if no scum is left and game didn't end because freezeblade has the claimed win-con and still has the chance of achieving it. It would be silly though to have such a scenario in the game.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:16 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Heh. Every time people make up a lie, I panic a little and have to double check that I didn't say the wrong thing in a night results PM.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:49 pm UTC

Would anyone be interested in playing another not-mafia game? I'm specifically thinking that y'all would enjoy a game of Resistance.

I'd be willing to mod if there is interest. It shouldn't require a huge time investment, and works with 5-10 players.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
wam wrote:Sorry for the delay with this life has been hectic. Will get it up and running in the next 48 hours.
:(

I have to apologise. Will try and find time tomorrow. If not I have Friday off so will setup then.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Ok. Let's try to figure this out.
- The golden gun has to be with either plytho or freezeblade. bessie and somitomi are out due to being dead when I was attacked. moody was MI6. Mark had 2 guns, I don't see him having a third one (and nobody claimed a gun to be stolen (though why didn't somitomi say anything??)). wam had a gun plus explosives plus potentially poison, so equally unlikely to have it. So we can discard the scenario where both of them are Town and game didn't end because freezeblade needs the macguffin.
- If I shoot anyone game ends for me. Either I shoot MI6 in which case I lose, or scum in which case I win. But there is no way to tell who is who. My gut says freezeblade is scum but it also says I shouldn't trust plytho, like ever. What exactly did plytho this game to prove himself? What did anyone do? I'm the only one who actually shot at people apart from scum.
- Therefore I don't need another weapon. What I need is protection. There are 2 kinds of BP in this game, protecting against shoot-out (aka Vig-shots during the night) and day-kills (which seems to be scum's nk this game). Actually it looks like Day and Night are completely reversed here. Nevermind.
- So where do I get protection and which kind do I need? If I get into shoot-out tonight then I'm dead, so getting protection against it would be too late. Getting protection against the day-kill is important. somitomi likely didn't have it (seeing he died during the night). bessie didn't complain about it being stolen and died in her own safe-house, so again unlikely. I looted Mark already, doubtful he would have it. plytho looted wam. I want to avoid freezeblade tonight. And also plytho. So I'm probably going to moody's, especially since I already know how to get into his house.

Need to get scum to somehow focus on the other player, even though I am the most townie... Really depends on whether it's a Lyncher out to get me or just regular scum.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:42 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Mark had 2 guns, I don't see him having a third one

Inconceivable!
Sabrar himself only has ... <theCount>1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Five guns (ah! ah! ah!) </theCount>.
Though to be fair, most of them are empty.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Would anyone be interested in playing another not-mafia game? I'm specifically thinking that y'all would enjoy a game of Resistance.

I'd be willing to mod if there is interest. It shouldn't require a huge time investment, and works with 5-10 players.

I'd be up for Resistance or something similar.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 pm UTC

Golden Gun @Sabrar after the game
Spoiler:
Why didn't I say anything about what? When?
(Now I'm kind of glad I'm dead, because I'd still have no idea what's going on.)
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:06 pm UTC

Golden Gun

Spoiler:
"I get reprimanded if I accidentally shoot another MI6 agent."--Sabrar
Rank hath it's privileges. If I accidentally shot a MI6 agent, I would have been discharged.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:18 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Hey moody, are you talking about how I'm totally lying wrt what happened at my safehouse? :D
Lucky for me both plytho and freezeblade already claimed where they were so there is 0% chance I get contradicted here.

On other news I don't like how plytho seemingly accepts me being town without any further suspicion. He just follows my lead, reminiscent of Shakespeare III. freezeblade's frustration seems real enough. Do I pressure freezeblade into voting plytho so I can jail both of them? That won't help me avoid the day-kill, unless somehow plytho dies to poison (which is unlikely even if he didn't fake it).
I would really hate having to claim tomorrow...

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
somitomi wrote:(Now I'm kind of glad I'm dead, because I'd still have no idea what's going on.)

SuicideJunkie wrote:Golden gun
"the worst case scenario be that D3 opens at 4-1 or 3-1-1."
Moody is clearly an optimist, and not a physicist.

1-2-2-2-1 perhaps?

Depending on how you count it, everyone is an independent with some natural allies and a web of vague hostility and danger.
Every win condition is different except for Sabrar and Mark who both want to survive, but from opposite perspectives of potential allies / morality.

Before you read the extra spoilery spoiler... did anybody notice the post restriction based clues Sabrar was dropping like a boss all game?

Golden Gun extra-spoilery spoiler even for non-players
Spoiler:
Notes:
The chart below should be pretty accurate, but is not extensively verified as I'm just typing it up between meetings.
The natural ally has a goal that promotes your own goal but is not necessarily bidirectional. Targets need to be eliminated to win. Those in brackets were added to the category late due to game events (Mark's death).
Win conditions were specified by character or group, not player name, but that is decoded here.

Code: Select all

Player       Character/Org     Natural Allies | Target          Win
----------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
Moody        Generic/MI6       None           | Mark, Plytho    Eliminate Mark, Plytho
Freezeblade  Lt. Hip/MI6       Bessie         | None            Have Solex @ MI6, or Destroy it/prevent use
Sabrar       007/MI6           Somitomi       | Wam             Survive
Bessie       Dr Gibson/Ind     Freezeblade    | None            Prevent Mark from using the Solex
Wam          Ivan D/SMERSH     None (Plytho)  | Sabrar          Sabrar Dies and Somitomi Loses
Mark         Scaramanga/EE     Plytho         | Moody           Survive
Plytho       Nick Nack/EE      Mark (Wam)     | Moody (Sabrar)  Mark survives, OR kill Mark's killer
Somitomi     Sheriff Pep/Ind   Sabrar         | Wam             Wam loses (Sabrar survives)

Plytho wasn't actually hostile until Sabrar killed Mark, which makes him a pseudo ally of the late Wam.
Moody didn't actually have direct allies, since everyone else could potentially leave Scaramanga to his own devices, but as townie everyone would want to appear to be allied and helpful, and Scaramanga is the obvious target.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
So I re-read my pm and it is clear that Scaramanga is a Lyncher who is after me. That means that plytho probably knows that I'm James Bond and I need him dead tonight (if he can shoot me today then it doesn't matter).

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Note; it is a plot point in the source material that the golden bullet addressed to 007 was actually a frame job against Scaramanga to turn MI6 loose on him.
Scaramanga didn't care about Bond until he started interfering with the business, and Nick Nack ends up wanting revenge on 007 for killing Scaramanga.

Also:
Golden Gun mechanic isn't an odd-day kill, but rather choosing a single person to visit and bypassing security with the Golden Gun's canon plot armor features, then requiring the victim to monologue long enough to assemble the gun and shoot (post content size after arrival in this case). It just happened to only be successful on those days.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 am UTC

Golden Gun

Spoiler:
I think I have enough ap to survive tonight by all out evading, but that doesn't help me as it would leave me outgunned tomorrow. Unless I can somehow convince Sabrar it's because Freezeblade didn't have a gun and they end up shooting each other?

The alternative is hoping Freezeblade's shot doesn't outright kill me. Given my limited ap and no protection (kind of assuming wam had some item keeping him from being killed) this looks pretty bad.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
I'm pretty much convinced that plytho is Scaramanga. I find it unfortunate that MI6 would be able to identify themselves by the 'terminated if killing another MI6' clause which scum probably doesn't know about. Also there were a couple of mod-reveals that should not have happened (e.g. this should have been sent in pm).
I started to be suspicious of plytho because of this and it would be nice to say that I saw through him but he played a good game and PoE contributes a lot to my certainty.

I'm trying not to bring these up in the game though.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:07 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Would anyone be interested in playing another not-mafia game? I'm specifically thinking that y'all would enjoy a game of Resistance.

I do like the resistance but I can't really commit to anything right now.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 am UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
So plytho just accepting that plan is again indicative of him being scum and having something up his sleeve. I really hope it's not being untrackable because that would be stupid. He might have a 1-shot protection against being shot, which means I have to also follow and shoot him and convince freezeblade to do the same. Game should be over D7 at the latest and then we can start wam's game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: yeah, game is solved if we just read back but that is time-consuming and I didn't really want to do it before.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 pm UTC

The Mafia with the Golden Gun

Spoiler:
So cool, if I read the endgame analysis and notes correctly I have a chance at a solo full win? And I’m not even supposed to be playing!

SuicideJunkie wrote:Note; it is a plot point in the source material that the golden bullet addressed to 007 was actually a frame job against Scaramanga to turn MI6 loose on him.

I tried to tell them here.

Usually flavor knowledge isn't required to play so very likely no one would have considered researching the source material just for the game. And interestingly some of Mark's remarks regarding the source material made me suspicious of him.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Hi bessie! Are you talking about me me me?

town!plytho should be fighting against my plan, especially after I explained why it won't necessarily work. He's normally very outspoken against my plans. No, this simply must be scum!plytho who is either resigned to getting shot or who has a trick up his sleeve.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:So cool, if I read the endgame analysis and notes correctly I have a chance at a solo full win? And I’m not even supposed to be playing!

Your win is quite secure, since the Solex is buried in your lab still, and Plytho doesn't have a motive to dig it up.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
SuicideJunkie wrote:Before you read the extra spoilery spoiler... did anybody notice the post restriction based clues Sabrar was dropping like a boss all game?

I didn't, but then I didn't put too much effort into reading the game after I died. Speaking of which, dying first and somehow still having a chance to win feels odd even though it can happen in most games...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 am UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
If people are interested I decided to track plytho with all my remaining ap (6). I'm hoping to shoot him tonight, otherwise it's clear I cannot win.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Everybody has ended up at Somitomi's safehouse for the final showdown after an extended three way chase on the freeway. This is probably it.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm UTC

Golden gun
Spoiler:
I'm so happy I found a way to do something without freezeblade being able to follow me.
I wanted to go to somitomi's to grab guns/ammo. I had 4 ap, my move costs 1. If I'd gone there using 2 evasion (in order to have an action left) freezeblade would be able to shoot me if he used 2 pursuit (2 move, 2 pursuit, 1 shot). So I'd need 3 evasion to be safe but that would leave me without actions.

What I did instead was use 2 pursuit on freezeblade and fallback to somitomi where I hope I'll find lots of guns!

Oh and I assume spoiler readers already know but I'm team scaramanga and my wincon is to avenge Mark's death. (changed from help him survive)

It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

I wonder how I'll be able to get Sabrar, as he seems to have dummies that take shots meant for Sabrar somehow?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
So... Is there a scenario where I don't take a shot at plytho tonight? I don't think there could be one. I need to contemplate this for a bit but I don't believe he could take any action that would prove him.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:46 pm UTC

Golden gun
Spoiler:
plytho wrote:I'm so happy I found a way to do something without freezeblade being able to follow me.
I wanted to go to somitomi's to grab guns/ammo. I had 4 ap, my move costs 1. If I'd gone there using 2 evasion (in order to have an action left) freezeblade would be able to shoot me if he used 2 pursuit (2 move, 2 pursuit, 1 shot). So I'd need 3 evasion to be safe but that would leave me without actions.

What I did instead was use 2 pursuit on freezeblade and fallback to somitomi where I hope I'll find lots of guns!

Owch, I feel for you. Unfortunately both of the remaining players seem to have locked you in as scum, Freezeblade wasn't the only one following you, and a tomorrow isn't going to happen.
Just waiting on Sabrar's official order, and some time to write the epilogue this evening.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm UTC

Wams belated simple game

Spoiler:
So I'm calling a scum win. It's biased to scum anyway and scum team is sabrar laser...
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 pm UTC

wam's simple game
Spoiler:
First game since Crossover when I actually have scum-chat with someone. Watch me get lynched D1...
Key thing will be to get the Cop asap.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:36 pm UTC

Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Oh man. It seemed like plytho was following me, judging by the flavor text...I hope that plytho isn't MI6..because then I lose 20 dollars and my self respect.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

plytho

Postby plytho » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:32 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Golden Gun
Spoiler:
Hi bessie! Are you talking about me me me?

town!plytho should be fighting against my plan, especially after I explained why it won't necessarily work. He's normally very outspoken against my plans. No, this simply must be scum!plytho who is either resigned to getting shot or who has a trick up his sleeve.

Spoiler:
There wasn't really anything I could say against your plan. The point of it was that freezeblade could shoot me due to my reduced ap. I was 'reading' you as town and freezeblade as scum. So convincing freezeblade to attack you would have made no sense at all.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 am UTC

(quoted from the wam's simple game thread)
somitomi wrote:Never mind, I accidentally read a spoiler. :cry:
Surely that doesn't matter if you were accidentally left out? Because roles/teams would have to be reassigned anyway?
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:(quoted from the wam's simple game thread)
somitomi wrote:Never mind, I accidentally read a spoiler. :cry:
Surely that doesn't matter if you were accidentally left out? Because roles/teams would have to be reassigned anyway?

Well, I'd be grateful if that happened, but I wouldn't want to hold everyone else up.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm UTC

I had an idea last night, though it needs to be fleshed out a lot more with details;
More normal than Golden Gun, but still with two power phases and the vote-to-end game which I'm sure I saw elsewhere in some form.

Rogue Squadron (Star Wars theme)
Factions are Rebel Sympathizers and Loyal Imperials.

Day phase in the barracks/hangar with discussion.
- Vote for who will take point to start with on the next combat mission.
- Optional Vote to defect to the Rebel Alliance. If everyone votes to defect, then the Rebels win. If someone votes to report to their superiors, then any players who already voted to defect are eliminated.
- Players apply technical powers to help or sabotage other players' TIEs.

Night phase is on a combat mission.
- Passive/one-shot abilities and sabotage from the day mix up who is actually on point and/or vulnerable.
- Since you're all flying TIE fighters and bombers, at minimum the point pilot is likely to die, unless some power applies to switch it up.

Powers would be things along the lines of stuff like force sensitivity, blackmail, having technical skills, having a droid assistant, hiring a bounty hunter, sheer piloting skill, faking a mechanical problem, swapping out the bombs for a one-shot deflector shield, etc.

Return to “Mafia”