The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Peaceful Whale

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm UTC

Unlike Superheroes

Spoiler:
I swear if I get lynched I'm going got cry XD
i feel bad for all the townies, I'm a very bad "towny". I feel like everything I do seems scummy. :P
Plan: I have no idea... I copied Boomfrogs list as a joke mainly, but I can see how this appears as scummy.

Hopefully next game I do better.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 12:08 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Really hoping I don't end up the damn D1 lynch but I'm probably just being paranoid.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
@moody (after the game): my 'resentment' of being compared to a specific chess opening was in no way real, I'm just posting without emoji-s this game.

I've discovered that I'm simply unable to muster the same energy for the game as when I'm town. Oh well.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri May 10, 2019 6:51 am UTC

USH

Spoiler:
so my trip is close enough that i'm now starting my mafia hiatus because of wanting to keep my level of distractions way down

but i'm still not reading spoilers as i want to ride in on my proverbial white horse and make everyone overjoyed that i'll be back

i hate d1 though so i have no opinions. I think the miller claim is likely legit because i don't see scum playing it.

i really want to know what the powers are they sound ridiculous.

i think we've come to the conclusion that on this forum that two mafia is weak and we need 3 so my personal opnion is that LG added dimochka to ensure that a mafia team of 3 was possible
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 10, 2019 11:43 am UTC

Superheroes

Spoiler:
so just for any watchers out there I'm the cult leader which makes being town read entertaining.

Only joking I'm town but setup to look like a cult leader. The cult of Mooooooooo
Come join us playing mafia signup here

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri May 10, 2019 2:41 pm UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
So I'm scum. I think. I'm not entirely sure. I just know that I'm not town but I don't think that I'm in the main scum faction. Which is why my 7-2-1-1 thing came up, and the people who posted that I may know more about the setup than I let on are right. Told you all I'm rusty!
My reads though are generally unbiased.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 7:01 pm UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
A two word summary of me is Towny-GF, and that's super nifty.
I appear to be scum to everyone except cops (GF) and the flip (Town)!

The tiebreaking/extra half-vote against me makes me even more secretly lynchable.

PS:
Stay strong Somitomi! Don't click yet!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
SJ is actually a Tracker/Watcher miller. He is always seen at the site of the NK. He also gets lynched in the event of a tied vote, even if he isn't being voted for.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Starting to get reaaaally paranoid about possible scum teams...

wam

Postby wam » Sun May 12, 2019 9:16 pm UTC

Unlikely superheroes

Spoiler:
are all the spectators out there laughing at how wrong I am?

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
PW and Freezeblade continue to lurk like crazy, ugh.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes (full setup, major spoilers):
Spoiler:
So... here's the deal.

The setup is 7-2-2 multiball.

The two scum teams are Vic/dimochka and Sabrar/BoomFrog. Team 1 has a vote based flavor. They only have a single one-shot NK, but have otherwise useful powers... dimochka is a bus driver, and the now-deceased Vicarin can block someone from voting for the day. They also win in any situation where it would otherwise be a draw. Losing Vicarin is a major blow to them, because with both members, they can win by force against some combinations of 3 townies. Without him, they need to get down to a 1-1 tie. This team was inspired by some musings I had in heury's Alien Warfare mafia, where I had thought there were two scum teams, one with a kill, and the other with a redirect (this turned out to be wrong, but I liked the idea).

The other team has the night kill, but nothing else going for them. Sabrar can only kill even nights, and is a reflexive doctor on odd nights; BoomFrog can only kill on odd nights and is a reflexive rolestopper on even nights. They have no other powers. I did give them a bunch of safeclaims because they don't have targetable powers (the other mafia didn't get any). Like team 1, they are severely weakened if either member dies because they lose half of their killing power.

Town is a mixed bag of powers ranging from useful to negative utility.

-wam is a roleblocker, with the flavor of being a religious fanatic. Anyone he targets gets roleblocked, but also joins the Church of Moo. Any investigation will reveal who the members of the church are. wam himself cops as church of moo rather than Town or scum. He's basically a fake cult, but is Town. wam can only target each player once. wam is, IMHO, at a high risk of mislynch as the game goes on.

-SuicideJunkie is a tracker miller. If he's targeted by the tracker, he'll be seen visiting the spot of the NK. He also gets lynched if the vote is tied... regardless of whether or not he's actually being voted for. If he targets an investigator, he'll get to see their results. This role isn't as bad as it seems, and I think SJ has been a little bit melodramatic about it, but that's probably inexperience. Tied votes basically never happen, especially since people think it will go to NL. The only tracker in the game is freezeblade, and there's no watcher. So he's probably okay mostly.

-bessie is an ornithologist. She can detect birds. Unfortunately, the only bird in the game is moody who is Town, so her power isn't all that useful. I had originally planned this role to be able to detect the mason pair, but ultimately decided against including the masons. So bessie is really basically just a Visitor. She does get results on anyone that has joined the church of moo, and will get the protective effects from Sabrar/BoomFrog.

-Peaceful Whale is the tooth fairy. This is kind of a neat role. PW gets a result on someone that says if they were redirected, blocked, took an action or not. With a couple roleblocks and a redirector in play, I think this will be pretty useful.

-jimbob has two one-shot day use abilities. He can prevent a player from being lynched, or can force the lynch to only be between two chosen players. I don't expect these to get a lot of play, but with a lot of scum in the game I think these could be beneficial. He does need to be a bit careful manipulating the vote to avoid accidentally lynching SJ though.

-freezeblade has Town's strongest power. He's a two shot quantum cop. If he targets someone who is taking an action, he gets a tracker result, otherwise he gets a cop result. Mostly this ends up with tracker results since the bulk of players take actions. But if he targets either Sabrar or BoomFrog, he's always going to get a good result.

-moody is sort of bulletproof. He's the only bird, and can hide in his nest twice in the game, protecting him from the NK. If he does get killed, however, the mafia lose daychat.

On balance, powers lean toward Town, but they need to play pretty accurately because there's a lot of scum out there. Based on my very simplified simulations, all teams should have decent winning chances.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Wow, only three results in so far and already some amazing stuff happening:
-Scum is thinking about killing jimbob.
-dimochka has swapped Sabrar/jimbob, gaining NK protection for himself, and redirecting the kill to Sabrar (!).
-wam is roleblocking BoomFrog, preventing BoomFrog from killing his teammate :P

Also, dimochka has correctly nailed the other scum team as Boom/Sabrar and is basing his decision on that.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon May 13, 2019 11:01 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Well bugger. I was correct about that the other scum team was strongly gunning for me at least.

Feel bad about leaving dimochka on a limb like that but apparently couldn't be helped.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon May 13, 2019 11:19 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
I also suspect that this setup may be really town sided, seeing how hard multiball makes it for each mafia team... Part of the issue I think is that even if me and dimochka know who the other scum are, we want them alive for a bit so the NK can whittle down the numbers faster (otherwise it requires sooo many lynched to get to a winning spot), while the other team has the issue of losing half the kill with each member.

Ah well, at least BoomFrog looks kinda bad here because he only switched to me once I was already going to die. Hopefully wam takes advantage of that.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
I also suspect that this setup may be really town sided, seeing how hard multiball makes it for each mafia team...

On balance multiball tends to favor scum, especially in closed setups. It may not so much in this game since there's only one NK, though Jungle Republic setups, which are a simple 6-2-3 open setup with the NK on the small mafia, are notoriously scumsided.

BoomFrog and Sabrar are both going to get townie credit for lynching you, and it may take town awhile to pick up on the fact that there are two mafia teams... the NK is being blocked by wam, so Town may look at your role PM and think it's 3 mafia with a one-shot NK. Assuming neither are lynched tomorrow (likely), it may not be until D4 before Town realizes it's multiball at all.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon May 13, 2019 11:41 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
I can't find anything about jungle republic being too scumsided, especially since it was apparently a revised version of another setup that was too town biased. Are there any stats for it?

Sabrar gets town credit, but BoomFrog gets pretty much nothing for switching to me 15 min before the deadline when I'm already doomed anyway, I think. wam was already floating the idea of BoomFrog bussing me.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
In the mafiascum wiki, if you look under the "History" tab on Jungle Republic you can see the recorded games on it. Town has 8 wins, Mafia has 12, Wolves have 7, with one draw. Actually more balanced than I remember it being.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Ah, cool. I don't think that's too bad for a multiball game, and that's with the special endgame rules and a 7-3-2 setup. Both scum factions are weaker in this and town has mostly useful powers.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Guess it also depends on whether you think 50-25-25 is town sided and/or 33-33-33 is scum sided...

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes @ Laserguy

Spoiler:
Oh I'm so excited to see what the flips are!! Being a spectator but avoiding spoilers in case of Dire Replacement Need, I don't have my own role to guess what the setup is likely to be based on.

@Laserguy: will the full role PM be revealed?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Obligatory whining how night is too long, especially with replacement.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes (Madge can read):
Spoiler:
Yes, the full role PM will be revealed.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes

Spoiler:
so I wonder what vics arguing about!

Sticking to my guns and role blocking boom tonight.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Hi Gojoe! Sorry for not posting earlier. I'm The Decider, town. I make decisions, which translates into a one shot prevent anybody voting for a player (not me) for a Day, and force votes to only be on two players (my choice, not me) for a Day. My plan is probably to use one tomorrow, and save the other for LYLO. Both are Day abilities, but can't be used in the last 24 hours of the Day. The second one is very similar to my Crossover ability, which I never used, but I think I now have a rough idea how to use it. By using either ability relatively late on during a Day, I can force everyone to re-evaluate, their lynch choices. Saving either ability to LYLO means that if I'm still alive, I can effectively become Kingmaker. Choosing the second one will mean that I can force the two remaining to vote each other, meaning I have to choose between them for the game. Choosing the second one means I need to get my decision right, and then hope that my fellow townie doesn't think I'm scum. Clean the second ability is the one to save if I can, but I might need to use it defensively at some point.

I'm not feeling too confident about D1's lynch, and I think BoomFrog might have been a better choice, but I didn't get on at the end of day, and didn't ever get a chance to read BoomFrog, so didn't ever get far enough to vote him.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:41 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Okay, looking at the confluence of my role and the chess thing I was doing, I figured I'd get a cute picture of a pigeon holding a bishop as an ending for it. I did not know it was a whole meme. Anyway, I will not be continuing it into D2. As for what I got out of it, there wasn't much reaction to it, but if I've made myself a NK prospect I used my power to be immune to the NK by returning to the nest, so maybe there won't be a death overnight.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
I think the most likely case is that SJ is a compulsive loud SK and his safe claim is compulsive loud Vig. His talk about ties hints that he is Indy. It's odd to have specific tie breaking mechanics in a town role.

Sorry Vic, SJ is more valuable. Also, thanks for spoiling my gambit, it was going to be hard to pull of convincingly. Although I still got in trouble with wam and dimochka for "playing like a normal helpful person." :p
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Going to be a bad night for scum. BoomFrog is getting copped by freezeblade, kill is blocked.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Uh, so the other scum team haven't floated the idea of multiball? Amazing.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 15, 2019 12:27 am UTC

Unlikely Superheros
Spoiler:
Ok. I have returned from a sick weekend where I essentially slept and hacked up my lungs. Having skimmed the D1 posts I still find myself hating D1 to the core. I just can't read people at all on D1. I used my power, which is kinda a tracker/cop depending on what the target does, on boomfrog, because lets face it, he's dangerous! I really don't know what's going to happen when we begin D2
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
So is the roleblock going to make FB get a cop result, or is he going to see BF visit Sabrar?

Also, I think I'm warming up to the setup overall, but I think something needs to exist to stop the game slowing down tremendously if the kill mafia get taken out. It'll be a hunt for what is basically a survivor, but with no cop that can help. And it needs to get down to 3 people before dimochka should consider firing off the single NK. Not sure how to solve such an issue though.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
It will be a cop result. But freezeblade will also see that BoomFrog was also converted to the fake cult, so that may give him enough cover to survive if he plays it right.

Yes, if mafia gets knocked out early then I may see if everyone is okay with shortening the day phase and/or eliminating the night. Usually by the time there's only 5 or so people left you don't need 6 days for a day phase anyway. You may be right that the balance is probably a bit off. freezeblade's role in particular might be a bit strong for this setup... was never really happy with what I ended up with for him. I originally wanted some sort of quantum superposition of results but couldn't figure out a way to make it work that wouldn't actually end up being super strong.

Everyone's scumhunting has actually be really sharp too.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Well, freezeblade's power is really strong vs the kill mafia (cause they're pretty much sunk by it), and not very useful vs mafia B. Usually need to have an investigative role that can threaten solo anti-town from just trying to survive till the end of the game, as atm the only way dimochka goes down is if people link him to me (or Sabrar/BoomFrog accidentally) based off just the D1 activity. Or people get paranoid about a bus driver, but the roles in this game have such varying strengths that would be difficult.

If you wanted a superposition of results then I guess you could try something like a list of results that depend on who BoomFrog targeted, but you'd have to limit everyone to targeting 1 person max each night. Could be interesting with redirects as well.

E.g. If BoomFrog targeted:
Sabrar: he is anti-town
bessie: he is town
freezeblade: he is town

repeat for all possible targets (and have an entry for no target). You could even slip in that Church of Moo entry when it's not relevant to the target to make the cop super paranoid :twisted:.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed May 15, 2019 12:18 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
And the spectator suddenly gets involved. I don't have much free time this week, so I'm blatantly not going to reread anything and instead ask people to sum D1 up for me. Perhaps I can extract some information from that (not likely). I owe Peaceful Whale an apology though, early D1 I was convinced he's mafia.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
The suspense is killing me. :D

Also why is Vicarin so active in Gojoe???

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
If JimBob survived because he targeted Sabrar I'll be so annoyed. 1) I lost track of that consideration when selecting NK, I would have stayed on dimochka if I'd remembered. 2) This is why I wanted Sabrar to claim PGO.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 16, 2019 12:11 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
I was hoping that there wasn't a real cop this game. I played poorly D1 but even with perfect peek BF style I don't see how I could have avoided this result. I got copped TWICE in WoT. And no one is going to believe my Indy claim.

My plan is:
Hint that I was bus driven (won't be believed, but as BoomFrog I'm expected to lie)
Claim I'm a survivor and the cult is meaningless ( won't be believed again)
Hopefully what people do believe is that I'm a cult member and the cult leader is the real threat.

It's just crazy enough to work...

I just need to get town to see through exactly 2 of my lies. Easy peasy... :roll:
Last edited by BoomFrog on Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
I believe 7-2-2 is the only explanation for this. it's good. I love the idea of two scum teams!~

@Laserguy: I targeted BoomFrog. Did Freezeblade let that roll or did he come up with it independently? If he trusted me I feel responsible for this great cop result which was based on my usual strategy of "who would benefit Madge personally the most if their alignment was known" :lol:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 am UTC

Superheroes @Madge:
Spoiler:
freezeblade chose BoomFrog as well. I did not tell him what your pick was.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am UTC

Superheroes

Spoiler:
honestly this just proves i was the perfect replacement for freezeblade, doesn't it? :lol:

Return to “Mafia”