The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Oh my BoomFrog's defence is soooooo bad :lol:. Bit difficult to come up with a good explanation in any case.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes @LaserGuy:

Spoiler:
Oh yeah, can we get links to the scum chats posted in spoilers? As long as all the remaining members are ok with it, of course.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 17, 2019 4:19 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Come on Vic, you've got to be rooting for me a little. Scum pride!

Too late to build suspicion on wam I think. Jimbob is a dangerous town leader. I guess I'm stuck trying to get the actual survivor claim to work.

No way wam will let me live after the bitterness of gargoyles though.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
BoomFrog gets no sympathy seeing as his scum team decided to go after me hard D1.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 17, 2019 6:02 am UTC

Superheroes:
Spoiler:
BoomFrog had an indie safeclaim he could have used, he just kind of botched it :P I don't see a way he's escaping the lynch either way here, but stranger things have happened.

The indie role I gave them was Compulsive Bodyguard Survivor. One of my favorites for this game that I'm sad I couldn't find a way to fit it in.

Scumchat is here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Insert obligatory whine about how scum is super-weak and Town has all the cool powers.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 pm UTC

Superheroes:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that SuicideJunkie is confused regarding his "No result" because he misread his role and not because he has anything on dimochka. His power allows him to get a copy of whatever investigation result his target received. But dimochka isn't an investigator of any sort, so SJ gets no result. Would be the same if dimochka were a doctor something.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
I’m super busy. My company is going through a merger, and I’ve been working 10-11 hours a day, some Saturdays, and the usual driving my husband to his gigs. I’m not a fast or organized thinker, and I’ve been too tired to spend the 2-3 hours a night analyzing content that I usually spend on a game. So I’m not as heavily invested in this game as I usually am, and I haven’t been making my usual Gojoe laments about how I’m struggling.

Yes, I targeted dimochka last night. I have a result, but the wording is “your target” and not “dimochka”, so there is some possibility of redirector or bus driver. I think it should be obvious to anyone that follows this forum that I would choose dimochka. He is the player referred to in the small print in this post. See also here.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453491#p4453491
Vicarin wrote:In particular, the part about the role being tailored to him despite there not being a game I can remember ever reading on here where the roles weren't just randomly distributed.
Monstrous Masquerade Mafia II, which was advertised as a bastard game. The players picked their high-school stereotype and Halloween costume, and the Djehutynakht decided on the alignment groupings based on stereotype, and then wrote the roles. He was very keen to have a Nerd Mafia, but he couldn’t make it work, so he ended up with Nerd Masons. The roles were somewhat tailored to the players (note Sabrar needing to survive to D2 to win with town :lol: , and, well, Madge’s entire role could only be Madge :P ). I miss Djehutynakht. His games were very clever, and his flavor was among the best.

Sorry Vicarin I wasn’t around at the end of D1. I would have argued against your lynch. That would have been just beautiful for me.

I had a fake claim ready on D1 if someone pushed me to claim. Unfortunately with the way D2 is shaping up, I won’t have an opportunity to use it.
bessie's pretend role wrote:BoomFrog FanGirl:

O.M.G! Did the Ultimate Human Genius just add his name the sign up list?? The drought is over; your life again has meaning! I’m sooooo excited!!!!

Powers:
BoomFrog Lie Detector: Each night you may target BoomFrog. If BoomFrog has lied during the day, your lie detector will emit a loud beep. Otherwise, your lie detector will remain silent.
Medicine Cabinet: You have an unlimited supply of aspirin, to calm your headache from the constant noise.

You are Town and win when all anti-Town factions are eliminated.

Does anyone read Gojoe posts? Well, I know Vicarin and LaserGuy do, so at least they should get a laugh from this. :)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Oh boy the remaining scumchat is hilarious. And there's plenty of town barking (heh) up the wrong tree as well. Need freezeblade and wam to go down soon for either team to have any chance of getting there though.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Come on Sabrar, I'm tired I've been up since 5 am, I'm running a fever, I have management review tomorrow morning that I can't miss. Post something before I fall asleep. :(

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 21, 2019 6:03 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Best case scenario currently looks something like this (lynching BoomFrog is unavoidable unfortunately, it's hard to convince people who are afk most of the time...):
- I kill freezeblade N2
- we mislynch SJ D3
- bessie kills jimbob N3?
- we lynch bessie D4
- I kill wam N4

This leaves me with somitomi, moody, dimochka in a 3-1 where I don't have an immediate kill, so I'd need two more mislynches...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Placeholder for townie thoughts

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue May 21, 2019 6:09 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Superheroes:
Spoiler:
BoomFrog had an indie safeclaim he could have used, he just kind of botched it :P I don't see a way he's escaping the lynch either way here, but stranger things have happened.

The indie role I gave them was Compulsive Bodyguard Survivor. One of my favorites for this game that I'm sad I couldn't find a way to fit it in.

Scumchat is here

Spoiler:
Ohhhh! I missed that the given role was compulsive. I was very confused and thought it was just a joke power or weird bargaining chip with town. I didn't use it as is because I thought it wasn't a plausible role and you hadn't put enough thought into it... :p Oh well, my claimed version was pretty believable although maybe a bit too conveniently pro-town. I do think that role as written was just a little unfair. Survivor is already a difficult role to win as and you only made it worse. If I had really been a survivor I really should have claimed at least "miller" on D1. It is always a hard sell to claim indy after being caught by a cop, and it's always the right policy to lynch in that situation. That's why I was going for the moonshot of Cult leader paranoia, but wam played it too straight. Oh well. Good luck Sabrar!
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm UTC

Superheros:
Spoiler:
Welp, after yesterday, I doubt I'm living though the night. I didn't say that my power is only 2-shot, so I may as well use the remaining shot tonight, as if I don't die tonight, I'm definitely dying by tomorrow night, and my power is no use if not used. Used it on Bessie, as she seems more argumentative and hostile than usual, which I read as "kinda stressed non-town" We'll see if I live though the night!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Sabrar is probably posting "oh noes! three extra hours to night!" I suppose my last post looks like I'm a bit sure of surviving the night. Had I been asked, I would have put "If I die before I wake, SJ's life y'all should take." A possibility since I'm not commuting N2, but we'll see.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Alas, both scum teams are probably screwed now. If SJ had been the original lynch, I was planning on voteblocking FB which assuming the kill hit another town, would make it 4-2-2 overall: enough to create a really, really fragile alliance between scum teams to obfuscate BoomFrog. It seems like a really hard balancing act to keep the kill mafia alive for a bit and then get them killed off immediately afterwards, as the B mafia.

Also, I second what Sabrar's commented about in scum chat most recently, having a ton of players be effectively absent and not having them be lynchable saps my enjoyment from the game. Considering my record of being lynched D1, I'd be better off just not doing anything D1 and cruising through rather than trying to be helpful.

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes

Spoiler:
so have put into rb sj. We will see how that goes.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 22, 2019 6:47 pm UTC

Unlikely Superhero's
Spoiler:
Also, I second what Sabrar's commented about in scum chat most recently, having a ton of players be effectively absent and not having them be lynchable saps my enjoyment from the game. Considering my record of being lynched D1, I'd be better off just not doing anything D1 and cruising through rather than trying to be helpful.

Well, with a claimed cop result early in the day there's not much motivation to participate. Everyone said what they needed to, and there's not a lot of reason to post more if you might just end up NKed before the next day anyway.

Also, it's too late. If you suddenly were quiet D1 we'd lynch you for it... :P

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

BoomFrog wrote:Unlikely Superhero's
Spoiler:

Well, with a claimed cop result early in the day there's not much motivation to participate. Everyone said what they needed to, and there's not a lot of reason to post more if you might just end up NKed before the next day anyway.

Also, it's too late. If you suddenly were quiet D1 we'd lynch you for it... :P

Spoiler:
Well, I think part of it is a reflection of the fact that this game also basically had 3-4 people in it who would really have rather replaced and may not have had as much time to commit as they would have really liked. We don't really have the numbers to run big games anymore. Maybe longer day phases, especially in the first few days, would help? Mafiascum has 2 week day phases, though that can really drag out as the game progresses and there's fewer people around (especially since unlike as MS, people here almost never hammer even when there's no reason not to). Also means that games can be a huge commitment which a lot of people aren't keen on. I don't know that there's a good option.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 pm UTC

Superheros
Spoiler:
Welp, saw that coming. Figured I'd die in the night after revealing my power and result, but I've found that with my scummy-as-a-motherfuck meta, I'm quite likely to be lynched or not believed the longer I stay alive, so it's best to just be out there in the open with any important information gleaned from night actions, or it's like to get lost before I can share it, or not believed (and I get lynched).

Go town go!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 22, 2019 10:13 pm UTC

Unlikely Superhero's
Spoiler:
I think there wasn't a unreasonable amount of lurking D1, but yeah, pulling in 3 replacements to play D1 might have been a bit greedy. The second most important principle of good Mafia game design is to have something interesting to talk about D1. The weird drawbacks did a pretty good job of it this game, although people were understandably cautious because revealing roles is dangerous. (I managed to narrow the list of possible cops down to 4, not that it helped since I was RBed.)

Losing the choice over who does the NK turned out to be a really harsh penalty. (Although I guess it saved us from Sabrar killing himself...)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Funny how much this reminds me of Crossover.

-Sabrar and BoomFrog scummates
-2 mafia groups, one of which is more focused on info (pretty easy to guess 7-2-2 when you're a scum pair without a repeatable kill)
-Town ability to force a lynch between two particular people.
-Info mafia losing a teammate to the lynch D1 and being in an awful spot.

Of course, BoomFrog got got D2 so it's somewhat different now, but oh well.

@BoomFrog: ah, but if I precommit to being silent now, you'll know it's not alignment indicative. Also, no problemo with preemptively cutting off that gambit, just find it amusing that it happened when we were both scum in seperate teams.

If people are going to seriously go after SJ today then they should have D1, I think it was pretty clear he wasn't going to become forthcoming D2.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Unlikely Superhero's
Spoiler:
I think there wasn't a unreasonable amount of lurking D1, but yeah, pulling in 3 replacements to play D1 might have been a bit greedy. The second most important principle of good Mafia game design is to have something interesting to talk about D1. The weird drawbacks did a pretty good job of it this game, although people were understandably cautious because revealing roles is dangerous. (I managed to narrow the list of possible cops down to 4, not that it helped since I was RBed.)

Losing the choice over who does the NK turned out to be a really harsh penalty. (Although I guess it saved us from Sabrar killing himself...)

Spoiler:
Two of the bumped replacements have been fine in terms of activity, so I don't think that was a huge issue in particular. Hard to have many interesting setups with a very small number of players.

I don't think it's the setup's job to give people something to talk about D1 too, seeing how many purely vanilla open setups go on online on other sites and have huge amounts of activity. I think people need to get better at starting off making some noise, and once the ball gets rolling, the discussion becomes self-sustaining.

And yeah, Sabrar performing the kill would have been way worse :lol:. dimochka had your number after that D1 end apparently.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 pm UTC

superheros
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Why would freezeblade not check SuicideJunkie though?
Because I was too busy visiting bessie. The question is why bessie was visiting SJ

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm UTC

USHIV
Spoiler:
The twin (if any) to the Quantum Cop (tracks if you move, cops if you don't) should surely be the Minister of Silly Walks (cops you if you move, watches if you don't)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat May 25, 2019 8:13 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
The way bessie and myself are avoiding each other should be a clear sign of something being wrong. Of course only BoomFrog would notice it...

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun May 26, 2019 12:57 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Why isn’t anyone posting? Are they all afraid of me me me?

If wam is telling the truth, why don’t I have a Moo result on mooooody?

I’m pretty sure my power is of the Visitor level of usefulness. Not useful in itself, but useful in that it targets. I was still hoping that I had some purpose, like described in this post.

Let’s see if I can get somitomi to night kill me.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Town seems to be seriously dropping the ball now with no more solid investigative powers, and any sort of buddy analysis will be restricted to looking at the first two days. Good times. sabrar is in a pickle though with how hard it is to work around his power though, and trying to have a decent claim.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 29, 2019 4:39 am UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
I hope bessie isn't too upset with her role at the end of this. She more than anyone else probably would take that role and run with it. She did correctly reason above that her role is basically a glorified visitor at least.

Probably for the best she didn't get the bird result on moody though.

Not sure if I said this already but moody and SJ were bus driven by dimochka which is the source of the confusion. This will actually look bad for dimochka if he's forced to claim since obviously he should have driven freezeblade if he were Town.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure SJ was town but for the life of me I simply can't see that role to be in the game. :?

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes (not a spoiler, but people playing probably shouldn't read)
Spoiler:
Laserguy and everyone - sorry for low activity. Been feeling extremely under the weather last 12 hours and just couldn't get myself to concentrate enough to post. Just took some meds, so hopefully will be normal starting D4.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Superheroes
Spoiler:
I hope bessie isn't too upset with her role at the end of this. She more than anyone else probably would take that role and run with it. She did correctly reason above that her role is basically a glorified visitor at least.

Probably for the best she didn't get the bird result on moody though.

Not sure if I said this already but moody and SJ were bus driven by dimochka which is the source of the confusion. This will actually look bad for dimochka if he's forced to claim since obviously he should have driven freezeblade if he were Town.

Spoiler:
Bessie is playing her role well, and I think she won't feel mislead or anything, it's clearly a low utility role, and all the talk about bad roles D1 I think put her in the right frame of mind. And yeah, dimochka has sealed his fate by both using the bus driver power in non-town ways and he is clearly planning to claim it or something similar. Unless he has a very elaborate false claim prepared I think he's done, and he's probably done anyway.

Dimochka is getting lynched D4. Hopefully he doesn't get spooked and SK Sabrar tonight. Then Sabrar needs to NK wam on N4. He should leave moody alive until endgame, he's his best patsy, JimBob is second best. Bessie will go after Sabrar before JimBob does. Probably mass claim then lynch Somitomi D5, then no lynch D6 since there's four alive. NK JimBob, and get moody to lynch Bessie. I hope Sabrar can think of a good false claim since he can't claim any kind of normal doctor. (And actually any protective role is off if people remember that he poked at me for making up evidence of another protective role.)

Just 2 more misslynches... not unwinnable. Don't give up hope Sabrar!

EDIT: Also, @LaserGuy, I really like the setup. There's a lot of fun elements, and the creative roles leave lots of room for shenanigans.
Last edited by BoomFrog on Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 pm UTC

@Suicide Junkie
Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
If you want to discuss how you could have played your role better hit me up. But one thing you should know is that two of the high power players were scum, which changes the mood of the game. If I were town I would have strongly believed your claim and fought against your lynch. Sabrar held back on pointing out the plot hole until too later, but dimochka used his power in a very untowny way and "should" have been the lynch D3.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 30, 2019 1:11 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
I am slightly confused by dimochka's targeting seeing as freezeblade wasnt a threat for him, and town bus drivers are decently common. Just being another town member would be the best thing to do here.

I'm not seeing Sabrar live through a mass claim though, his claimed role is going to stick out like a sore thumb if it's going to explain his lack of targeting. Assuming that the other scum role is anything like BoomFrog's would make his claim the least verifiable and most suspicious.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 30, 2019 1:49 am UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
moody and jimbob also do not have targeting powers. Jimbobs power is verifiable since it is day use but Moody's is basically not verifiable.

Dimochka originally wanted jimbob and moody as his targets but couldn't target jimbob twice. Possible SJ choice was not so well thought out.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 30, 2019 2:12 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
If moody comes out and says that he's a bird before bessie full claims, that's pretty decent evidence in his favour I'd say.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 30, 2019 4:33 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Agreed, Sabrar coming up with a good false-claim will be critical. If he does he should be okay, if he doesn't he's dead. The two he's been considering aren't good enough. Too bad I didn't have more time to brainstorm with him due to RL business. The ideal claim would be something that would be normally verifiable, but isn't in the current game state. Something targetable would be safe, if he claims late enough in the order. But he's not one to change his plan on the fly like that, so he'll probably just claim something passive. Reactive doctor doesn't work, because then he shouldv'e done more to get Freezeblade to target him N2.

I can't think of anything good.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:@Suicide Junkie
Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
If you want to discuss how you could have played your role better hit me up. But one thing you should know is that two of the high power players were scum, which changes the mood of the game. If I were town I would have strongly believed your claim and fought against your lynch. Sabrar held back on pointing out the plot hole until too later, but dimochka used his power in a very untowny way and "should" have been the lynch D3.

USHIV
Spoiler:
I thought you did believe me pretty strongly, at least compared to most people, and noted that as one of the townie points. And you were critical to preventing my early lynch. I don't have a lot of time until next week, but tips are welcome. Definitely no promises about being able to use them to win :D

LaserGuy wrote:Superheroes:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that SuicideJunkie is confused regarding his "No result" because he misread his role and not because he has anything on dimochka. His power allows him to get a copy of whatever investigation result his target received. But dimochka isn't an investigator of any sort, so SJ gets no result. Would be the same if dimochka were a doctor something.

USHIV
Spoiler:
No, I did catch that. Not having an investigative power was a scumminess probability point.
I might have gone off on the wrong tangent if I'd seen my two results in reverse order due to the surrounding flavour, but I took the first result technically.
A lot of possibilities for why I'd get no result.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:That is interesting. Villain teams are well known to pull from a wide variety of sources while hero teams are generally humanoid, but frequently include mutants, aliens, gods and robots.
In this case, Apps could easily have a human hacker helping them or being their creator.
The eldritch forces team could have a human summoner. (Such as a religious fanatic)
Your focus on human/scum, not non-human/town, is interesting.

You read this wrong. Your remarks pinged me as townie, not scummy. Enough that I would have tried harder for somitomi or jimbob if we weren’t out of time. But not enough to defend you, because in your next sentence, you try to out the DNA scanner meta-cop role I’m pretending to be. Why rolefish a cop? jimbob’s doing the same thing, but he’s scum.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 pm UTC

bessie wrote:I’m disappointed that SuicideJunkie let what appears to be a negative utility role ruin the game for him right from D1, for reasons previously stated.
Don't worry; it didn't spoil the game for me! Clearly I sound far more gloomy than I feel :D

bessie wrote:Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:That is interesting. Villain teams are well known to pull from a wide variety of sources while hero teams are generally humanoid, but frequently include mutants, aliens, gods and robots.
In this case, Apps could easily have a human hacker helping them or being their creator.
The eldritch forces team could have a human summoner. (Such as a religious fanatic)
Your focus on human/scum, not non-human/town, is interesting.

You read this wrong. Your remarks pinged me as townie, not scummy. Enough that I would have tried harder for somitomi or jimbob if we weren’t out of time. But not enough to defend you, because in your next sentence, you try to out the DNA scanner meta-cop role I’m pretending to be. Why rolefish a cop? jimbob’s doing the same thing, but he’s scum.

USHIV
Spoiler:
I think we have different ideas of what rolefishing is?
I thought I was just pointing out things that are already in the thread.

Can't say I'm surprised about stepping in something without realizing it tho.

Return to “Mafia”