The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:57 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes @SJ:
Spoiler:
Please keep any commentary on the ongoing game, no matter how innocuous you may feel it is, confined to spoilers in this thread.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:43 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
Zebra wrote:Now who's the one making the assumptions?

Literally everyone :P.

How scummy does Sabrar have to be before people will go after him? My goodness.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 pm UTC

Look for potential replacement for Unlikely Superheroes. PM me if you're available.

[edit]Actually, I may need two replacements. :(

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 am UTC

Unlikely Superheros

Spoiler:
Hello, wall.

I remember bessie posting about loosing steam content-wise about this point in a previous game, and I've reached that point myself. That people are dropping out right and left is not good for motivation either, but other players are bulling through. It also doesn't help that my role actually has a real upside if I get killed in that any day chat (over 6 days) becomes night chat (1 day only). Probably too late for that to be effective seeing as the most likely setup has two one-member scum teams left.

Also it seems I've been a bit fuzzy in paying attention in detail. In doing my read of jimbob I saw his opinion of bessie slowly drop, then have a sudden turn around due to a claim she made I don't recall the specifics of. Good thing I'm planning on doing a post-by-post of her next. Regardless, vote will be on somi with highest probability.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
So we lynch somitomi today, dimochka gets modkilled, plytho replaces wam, no more inactive players.
I kill plytho tonight (hopefully), bessie will likely withhold. That leaves jimbob and moody.
It's 2-1-1, NL is a bad idea so we will vote. We need to lynch bessie D5 otherwise she kills me N5 and wins. However D6 will be a 2-1 LYLO and it doesn't look too good.
So my main hope is that bessie does the math and decides to kill someone tonight, and we'll have a 1-1-1 kingmaker situation tomorrow.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes

Spoiler:
Allright, I feel I'm off to a good start. I feel I'm in a pretty tough spot at 1v1v 5. Ideally I think I want yin to survive the lynch and kill a townie to put us at 1v1v3. (or 1v1v2 if I kill a townie too)

I'm somewhat worried about indiewam. (Maybe he has to sacrifice MOOies as a wincon?) But wam's survival seems inevitable for now.
I'm more worried about bessie's power which could detect me as nonhuman, so I might be inclined to kill her tonight. I am unblockable so that risk is gone (unless there are multiple blockers).

There are also three unknown townie powers out there (moody,Sabrar, jimbob, somi) so I have to avoid there detection/protection to get to bessie.
A bessie lynch would be great :D

Anyway, this is fun.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Thought I'd let people know why I'm so often struggling for time currently: I got engaged last week! So lots of talking with my future wife and discussing weddings means mafia time is at a premium!

Unfortunately this lack of time has me struggling to keep the game properly in my head and I'm constantly forgetting what people have said or done. I have yet to see good use for my ability aside from the end game. It feels like Crossover all over again. The good news at least is that I don't think people will think my ability can come from scum, mostly because I can effectively use it to force a town mislynch or no lynch as scum. It also doesn't line up with the SJ's N2 results, so should clear me from that if needed. I'm debating claiming that I have a public day ability so that wam concludes I'm not scum, and more usefully uses his roleblock. A successful kill block tonight would be wonderful if we mislynch, because there aren't many people who can be BoomFrog's buddy.

I'm assuming the Apps are holding onto their kill for the end game. A premature kill could leave them facing the other scum team with no way of dealing with them.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:39 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Note to self: plytho might have the ability to swap two players (is that called a bus driver?) If he swapped moody and SJ N2, I think everything makes sense. Need to check that logic against claims though...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:23 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Hi BoomFrog! Any advice? :D

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Too bad I'm not a Mafia stump. Although most players would probably hate that role.

Anyway, since freezeblade included tracker there is probably but a full tracker. We know there isn't a full watcher since the FB kill was undetected. With somitomi getting lynched it's a safe assumption that you can claim a targeting power and not get contradicted. If you claim something passive you are stuck in a small lynch pool and will at minimum get too much suspicion.

A weak investigation claimed near the start of D5 would be ideal. But I can't think of anything you could safely claim with the knowledge you currently have. Doctor who can't save the target if someone else also targets would probably be best. You know SJ targeted freezeblade which could have "messed up" your save. You can say you are reluctant to reveal your power as it let's scum circumvent it.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
At present, Sabrar is planning on killing plytho, which will eliminate the Apps. Conceivably the game will end tonight in the event plytho decides to cross-kill Sabrar, though he was musing about killing bessie.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
At present, Sabrar is planning on killing plytho, which will eliminate the Apps. Conceivably the game will end tonight in the event plytho decides to cross-kill Sabrar, though he was musing about killing bessie.

Spoiler:
Oh boy, that's probably the worst kill target for Sabrar atm seeing as it'll sharpen everyone's focus rather dramatically.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 am UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
:(

Yeah, clearly wam has to die asap. Wam is like a doctor+cop on kill nights with how powerful his loud RB is.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:30 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Really curious how end-game will shake out. I don't think bessie can afford to kill me (or get me lynched) before D6 but a 1-1-1 (or even a 2-1-1 situation) is unpredictable.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 pm UTC

unlikely superheroes
Spoiler:
If somi was an unlikely supervillain this is going to be a really tough game for me. I only have one kill, so I'll need to lynch the other three to beat the remaining townie. Best strategy is to keep the kill until the end of the game otherwise I create a confirmed townie thanks to wam's MOO. Waiting until the end also leaves more alternate lynch options. Moody and bessie seem lynchable for now. Sabrar and Jimbob are a lot tougher. Wam is looking pretty tough as well.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm UTC

unlikely superheroes
Spoiler:
Aww dammit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Very, very, tough road ahead for Sabrar at this point.

In retrospect I think making the Supervillains lose half of their killing power if they lost a member was probably too punishing. I think for this to work out, I did need to have it that losing a member would be quite crippling for either of the mafia factions, but the way this played out, scum needs four mislynches to win. Multiball is always going to be super swingy with this few players though. If Town plays in the most suboptimal fashion, they can lose with only one mislynch.

[edit]Only good news for Sabrar is that wam decided to block plytho (which failed anyway), so nobody is cleared.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
So close to my best case scenario. If only Sabrar had shot wam! Jimbob, bessie and moody weren't good options due to their lynchability. I didn't really consider this scenario but I guess it makes a lot of sense.

Good luck wriggling out of that tight spot I put you in Sabrar.

I would have loved to play me vs Sabrar vs jimbob bessie and moody. Actually, starting with a jimbob lynch would have made that a sure thing for the apps. (lynch Sabrar to eliminate the kill N6, I kill moody or bessie)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
Yeah, Sabrar's busted here. jimbob's logic is pretty ironclad and Town has just the right combination of claims that I think they can figure everything out.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:
Spoiler:
So... Sabrar is really scum? Or wam is on an epic gambit? Or bessie is Ninja (which would only work against a part-time tracker)? Or moody is Strongman (which would only be useful against an effectively one-shot roleblocker versus him)? Pretty sure it's Sabrar, but I'm doubting myself.

Hopefully the rest of town will believe my ability claim wouldn't be from scum, and it's also provable.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
I think this game has been a pretty good example of why multiball makes it significantly harder for both scum teams, the entire game has been each mafia stepping on the other's feet. Well, mainly the kill mafia stepping on ours because they didn't realize that they kinda needed us alive for a while :P.

Still baffled as to why Sabrar killed plytho instead of wam...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 am UTC

Hi George!

Can we expect you back some time for a game?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Unlikely Superheroes:

Spoiler:
I think this game has been a pretty good example of why multiball makes it significantly harder for both scum teams, the entire game has been each mafia stepping on the other's feet. Well, mainly the kill mafia stepping on ours because they didn't realize that they kinda needed us alive for a while :P.

Still baffled as to why Sabrar killed plytho instead of wam...

Spoiler:
I think Sabrar was worried plytho could protect wam with his bus driver and redirect the kill somewhere problematic.

plytho actually did swap wam/jimbob in the night so it was a legitimate concern (plytho couldn't be mooed so I guess he didn't care about wam not being killed?)

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
I think Sabrar was worried plytho could protect wam with his bus driver and redirect the kill somewhere problematic.

plytho actually did swap wam/jimbob in the night so it was a legitimate concern (plytho couldn't be mooed so I guess he didn't care about wam not being killed?)

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's kinda understandable, but between the N1 weird targeting by dimochka and the likelihood of a bus driver having a drawback to stop it being just better than a doctor, I think he'd have to go for wam. ah well.

And yeah, our team wouldn't care the slightest about wam or freezeblade realistically, only the kill mafia would. Just had to try to not get killed by the other scum team but I guess we both failed at that.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's kinda understandable, but between the N1 weird targeting by dimochka and the likelihood of a bus driver having a drawback to stop it being just better than a doctor, I think he'd have to go for wam. ah well.

And yeah, our team wouldn't care the slightest about wam or freezeblade realistically, only the kill mafia would. Just had to try to not get killed by the other scum team but I guess we both failed at that.
Spoiler:
I was trying to redirect the (unlikely in my view) kill to the other scum team or eliminate a candidate while also trying to redirect the moo back to wam to keep him from mooing everyone. Would have been nice if Sabrar shot wam. D5 lynch would be Sabrar and I'd have to lynch bessie moody or wam for the win. But yeah, failed at staying alive :(

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:46 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes
Spoiler:
good playing plytho, too bad it ended that way. I think we did as well as we could given the situation. My redirect N2 just wasn’t very well thought out. I was fairly sure that Sabrar is the other Mafia but given our team’s limited kills I played the gambit of trying to keep him alive and hoping he wouldn’t kill me for a while. Sadly that just backfired but was fun!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:23 am UTC

USHIV
Spoiler:
moody7277 wrote:At the time, I was reading SJ as so scummy, I would have been skeptical of math from him, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Given his power, he may have wanted to backstop fb who was the most obvious kill target.

SuicideJunkie wrote:(I was hoping to pull a useful reading from beyond the grave since the cop is an obvious target, or to corroborate the result if he was protected. Why no protection, people?!?)

I did state that right up front on D3, in the post you quoted, yes.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am UTC

Unlikely superheroes
Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Thought I'd let people know why I'm so often struggling for time currently: I got engaged last week! So lots of talking with my future wife and discussing weddings means mafia time is at a premium!
Wooh! Congrats!
bessie wrote:(though I’m super curious as to whether plytho figured it out when he posted the picture of the Labrador chasing the ducks or if that was just a coincidence).
Sadly, it was a total coincidence.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:51 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
I can understand Sabrar grasping at straws here, but if anyone else seriously thinks that Boomfrog's partner has anything other than an even night kill and some kind of odd night ability at this point, I have no idea what they're doing.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
LOL, NL is happening! I just need 3 more miracles to win...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
How am I doing spectators? Is my No Lynch strategy a terrible idea? Are wam and BoomFrog just laughing at us all? Am I just complicating things and should have just accepted my lynch in exchange for Sabrar's?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:40 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
This is basically the worst possible way to use this power, it would have been so much better to take a stand...

I actually hadn't checked if it was possible, but not using my ability never really crossed my mind.
1) Town with that ability would never not use it early I think so a false claim later would be required.
2) Thought it was likely that everyone had a targeting ability so I didnt want to stand out a bunch (kill mafia has that issue anyway).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:46 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
So Sabrar passed my little test. Not sure if it was a good idea or not, and how much I should trust the results, but I'll share my thoughts on it tomorrow. If Sabrar is scum, voting himself was extremely risky, as me switching my vote would have led to his lynch and loss. He might have been gambling that I wouldn't come online again, but he could have just not posted again without risk. Was there a serious risk he'd get lynched before game end otherwise and needed to take the risk? Yes, probably. If bessie clears moody as proposed, he and I are the two most likely to get lynched. He might be hoping for a bessie/me lynch otherwise.

On a related note, bessie's attitude has been similar, though she never self-voted.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Well, the plan unfolds. It's not entirely my plan, but I feel a bit responsible for the codification of it in that one post. The last time I made a brilliant plan, it went pear-shaped. I wonder if I'll finally get to try out town at 3-person LYLO.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:44 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
Updated plan: mislynch jimbob D6, wam blocks bessie and I kill wam N6, D7 I somehow convince moody that bessie is Strongman + Ninja, or bessie that moody is Strongman Pigeon Yin. Or that Apps used their one-shot on freezeblade and N2 results don't absolve anyone. Quite a long shot.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 pm UTC

Unlikely Superheroes
Spoiler:
In another example of self-doubt, I just found myself suspecting wam. Let's assume the Supervillains are Yin and Yang. The yin yang symbol is sometimes used in philosophical and religious iconography. That would suggest a church, and who is the leader of the church? Wam. Not only that, but wam also has access to a roleblock and BoomFrog was occasionally a reflexive roleblocker. What's a possible opposite of a reflexive roleblocker? An active roleblocker... The main issue with this logic is that wam has been shown to do the Church thing every night (specifically N2 and N3 even if BoomFrog started in the Church), so it doesn't line up with the alternative night nature of BoomFrog's ability.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 am UTC

Superheroes
Spoiler:
Dammit, I'm definitely not doing that moo mechanic again. I've made so many mod errors because I keep forgetting to check who had been hit with it.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 am UTC

Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Going to be pretty sad if town just throws this game after i got lynched D1 :cry:...

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:Unlikely Superheroes

Spoiler:
Going to be pretty sad if town just throws this game after i got lynched D1 :cry:...

Spoiler:
Sabrar is knocking it out of the park with his scum game, if he wins he totally deserves it. His plan is almost good enough, he just needs to either get wam to not call his target, or on D7 he claims he was mooed when he wasn't.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:16 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Superheroes
Spoiler:
Dammit, I'm definitely not doing that moo mechanic again. I've made so many mod errors because I keep forgetting to check who had been hit with it.

SuperHeroes @ LaserGuy
Spoiler:
I made a spreadsheet so I could sort everything by player, location, and type of effect as needed. It was quite effective, but perhaps overkill for most cases.

Superheroes
Spoiler:
Sabrar: Wow, that was an impressive move. I thought town had it in the bag, but now anything could happen.

Return to “Mafia”