Sleep-Stumble

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fat Tony

Sleep-Stumble

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

As described in today's comic: that's such an odd feeling. Why does it happen?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

ParanoidDrone

Re: Sleep-Stumble

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

When it happens to me, it seems like my body's reacting to what I'm dreaming about. Like I'm falling, then spasm on impact and wake up from said spasm. Or something like that.

Or someone could be hovering over your bed, invisible, making you spasm at inopportune times. :shock:
Insert witty phrase here.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

It happens to me way too often, and I hate it. So disorienting.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Well, what I've experienced isn't exactly a dream. Pay attention to the wording ("When you're falling asleep..."). I think this is what he was talking about too.
You're lying in bed, tired, and ready to to sleep. Suddenly you envision yourself walking...walking...walking...and suddenly your foot decides that instead of hitting the floor so you can keep walking, it is going to keep descending into oblivion. Then you're jolted awake and your heart's rushing.
...Or maybe that's just me =D

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Aha! Thank you, finally a name for the thing that resulted in so much falling-asleep-in-class embarrassment!

Anyone ever yell as they were jerking awake? Knock shit over?

Also, for anyone who's ever TA'd/tutored/taught, any experience with people falling asleep hilariously and then denying it when they wake up?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Wow. Sorry, off topic, but wikipedia link following showed me the best disorder ever.
Exploding head syndrome
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:hypnagogic jerk.

Who are you calling hypnagogic jerk? Jerk.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone ever yell as they were jerking awake? Knock shit over?

Also, for anyone who's ever TA'd/tutored/taught, any experience with people falling asleep hilariously and then denying it when they wake up?

There was a "sleep weirdness" thread a while back, where I think I already told this story, but I totally did this during a courtroom practice and procedure class. Mid-lecture, something startles me in my dream and I yell, flail, and backhand the person sitting next to me in the face.

The professor was not amused.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sneds

Postby Sneds » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Wow. Sorry, off topic, but wikipedia link following showed me the best disorder ever.
Exploding head syndrome

Wikipedia wrote:Note that exploding head syndrome is not an example of spontaneous human combustion, nor does it involve the head actually exploding.

Aww.

In terms of the sleep-stumble. I only ever seem to get them when I'm feeling particularly tired, but maybe I have them more often and I just don't remember.

null

Postby null » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Sneds wrote:Wow. Sorry, off topic, but wikipedia link following showed me the best disorder ever.
Exploding head syndrome

I had that a couple of times when i was a kid...It was horrible. Very scary.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Yeah I made a post which lead into this topic before - about getting jerks while sleeping on the train.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 am UTC

I yelled "Help!" into my ex's ear after I dreamt a tiger running at me down a dark alley once. And I've fallen off the bed after one before. Never broken anything though.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:27 am UTC

I had a pretty epic one. Fell asleep in the post-dirty cuddle. After about 15 minutes, the arm she was laying on fell asleep. Somehow, in my dream, this correlated with "some asshole cut off my arm!"

I leapt forward with such force that I took both of us, plus all the sheets and blankets off the far side of the bed, and punched her in the back of the head with my free hand BEFORE landing on top of her on the floor.

She was laying there, awake, calmly enjoying the afterglow when all this violence went down.

Cuddling did not resume after returning to bed.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:33 am UTC

wing wrote:

I had a pretty epic one. Fell asleep in the post-dirty cuddle. After about 15 minutes, the arm she was laying on fell asleep. Somehow, in my dream, this correlated with "some asshole cut off my arm!"

I leapt forward with such force that I took both of us, plus all the sheets and blankets off the far side of the bed, and punched her in the back of the head with my free hand BEFORE landing on top of her on the floor.

She was laying there, awake, calmly enjoying the afterglow when all this violence went down.

Cuddling did not resume after returning to bed.

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Plus hahaha (hahahaha).
I lol'd =D

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Yeah, that's right; I laughed out loud hysterically while alone in a sound-proof room, and I am proud! That is xkcd!

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Having experienced exploding head syndrome I can tell you it scared the ever living crap out of me. Happened to me during math class in my... sophmore year I think? In high school that is. Freaked me right the hell out.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Yeah, I've had the head explody as well. It mostly happens when I'm sick and can't sleep soundly. I wake up in a panic, it's really quite horrible.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:57 am UTC

I always wake up a few hours before I want to in a jolt, with a good deal of what I presume to be adrenaline. I'll vaguely remember something amazingly important happening in my dream, shrug it off, and go back to sleep.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Usually if I experience that, my response is to clutch the sheets until it goes away.

The only interesting sleep-related thing I've ever experienced is disturbingly similar to Isawwlgood's story.

I was asleep next to my fiance, and could feel both his arms around me. At some point during the night, my own arm had fallen asleep, and I managed to move in a manner that slung my now-dead-weight arm over my body. When I started waking up, I felt three arms on me. Instead of being rational and realizing that I was only peripherally aware of one arm instead of two, my only thought was "Holy shit, there's someone else in the bed!" I jolted awake, flipped the hell out and ended up knocking the poor boy out of bed with my flailing. :oops:

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:...with a good deal of what I presume to be adrenaline.

Or this is something altogether more sinister.
Have you checked for small scars after syringes? :twisted:
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:34 am UTC

I did that as well, except I didn't have anyone else in the bed with me. Also, since the arm was really cold from blod-loss/cold room I thought it was a body before i woke up completely.

Sort of related: I once fell asleep on top of both of my arms (or more likely managed to roll on top of both of them while asleep). When I woke up I couldn't feel any of them at all, and it took more than a minute until I could move them again, since I couldn't massage them to get the blood flowing seeing as I had no arms (I got the feeling back much earlier, and it was PAINFUL, but I just didn't have any oxygen to move anything at all). I paniced and leapt out of bed, running around my room for a couple of seconds with my arms just dangling from my shoulders. The experience was similar to putting your arms inside your sweater and running around with the arms loose. I then stopped and laughed for a good two minutes because I realized how incredibly silly I looked.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Berengal wrote:*snip*
I paniced and leapt out of bed, running around my room for a couple of seconds with my arms just dangling from my shoulders. The experience was similar to putting your arms inside your sweater and running around with the arms loose. I then stopped and laughed for a good two minutes because I realized how incredibly silly I looked.

That mental image was priceless beyond words. Thank you for the giggle, good sir.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Belial wrote:There was a "sleep weirdness" thread a while back, where I think I already told this story, but I totally did this during a courtroom practice and procedure class. Mid-lecture, something startles me in my dream and I yell, flail, and backhand the person sitting next to me in the face.

The professor was not amused.

Ah, but I am. And that is all that matters.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Ess

Postby Ess » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

I have never been jolted awake from sleep or almost sleep.
My dreams, no matter the content always end with a peaceful moment of nothingness before I wake up. Then I experience whatever emotion the dream provokes (I had my first sex dream (that I remember) last night. 'Twas very odd and left me with the most WTF? feeling ever.)
Even when I had a dream that I hit a bump in my driveway on a bike, was thrown off, and hit the ground, there was a moment of nothingness before I woke up (and then I couldn't move or open my eyes no matter how hard I tried for a moment. That was fricking scary).

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Ess wrote:Even when I had a dream that I hit a bump in my driveway on a bike, was thrown off, and hit the ground, there was a moment of nothingness before I woke up (and then I couldn't move or open my eyes no matter how hard I tried for a moment. That was fricking scary).

Dreams of paralysis are very common, because when your brain enters REM sleep, it disconnects from your major muscle groups, presumably to keep you from jostling yourself to wakefulness when you dream that you are moving. Sometimes when you try to move in a dream, your brain "forgets" that it has disconnected from your limbs and expects feedback from your body. When none is forthcoming, it signals that something is wrong, and you wake up struggling to move appendages that are temporarily out of order. The sensation of paralysis is very convincing because you really can't move. Often you get a "sleep-stumble" because you are trying really hard to move when suddenly everything is reconnected and the limb you are trying to move spasms.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

And sometimes you get it because your brain jumped into a dream pattern at a stage of sleep where it shouldn't, and your brain hadn't disconnected from the muscles yet.

They/them

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I did not know that happened, but it explains why people sometimes backhand other people during lectures. :P

Green Bay Hackers

Postby Green Bay Hackers » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Man, every time my girlfriend falls asleep on me, it's like, twitch central. I think she moves more in sleep than she does in waking.

Also I like how half of this thread is people saying stuff like, "Yeah, whatever, so over this. I posted on this topic like a year ago."

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Half the thread as in...one post?

They/them

Klye

Postby Klye » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Well if you take 28/2, the twos cancel out and you're left with 8. Wait, no, that still doesn't work.

This happens to me all the time when I'm really tired, but trying to stay awake. It's like, nod off, then suddenly spasm and wake up again. I've never thought too much about it.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

I think that has more to do with the fact that you are actively trying to stay awake.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Klye wrote:Well if you take 28/2, the twos cancel out and you're left with 8. Wait, no, that still doesn't work.

This happens to me all the time when I'm really tired, but trying to stay awake. It's like, nod off, then suddenly spasm and wake up again. I've never thought too much about it.

Hm...try this:
Start with 28/2
2=x
8=y
xy/x = y = 8
...Geez, still doesn't work.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

I was hoping this would be about someone using StumbleUpon while sleepwalking and waking up to find themselves at a computer, playing Nanaca Crash.

I am deeply disappointed.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 am UTC

64/16 = 64/16 = 4/1

Also, for people experiencing paralysis during sleep: Wikipedia
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 am UTC

I sort of enjoy the hypnagogic jerks I have. They always amuse me for some reason.

For a while I had a weird form of sleep apnea when I would be thinking about things as I fell asleep, and I'd get so deep in thought right before I fell asleep that I would "forget" to breathe. Then my heart would pound really hard about twice and I would gasp for breath. It was odd.

I don't have any really funny stories about sleeping. My roommate told me I giggled in my sleep once, and our foreign exchange student backhand slapped me in the face when we were sharing a hotel bed one time.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Green Bay Hackers

Postby Green Bay Hackers » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 am UTC

If you would like for me to make my own post more accurate, I'm totally down with making a whole bunch of posts about how ahead of the curve I am.

I can make this happen.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:I sort of enjoy the hypnagogic jerks I have. They always amuse me for some reason.

As do I actually, kind funny to wake up in bed when you just thought you walked off a cliff :P

I've Fallen out of my bed once, I have top bunk. And i didn't even wake up. When my brother, who had been awoken by the loud crash woke me up, I my entire side hurt like hell.
Apperently I took my pillow and cover with me in my fall, and they saved me from sustaining any worse damages. I didn't even have enough bloodflow to even bruise, really weird :P
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Another story about amusing things that happen when your limbs fall asleep while you're in bed:

Yesterday, my friend woke up late for work. He glanced at the clock, and literally leapt (Damn you Mozilla for not recognizing leapt, and making me check dictionary.com to make sure it was a real word! I'm tired, give me a break.) out of bed.

Over the course of the night, his leg had gone dead-weight asleep. So his frantic leaping resulted in him having no support on landing, and lumping into a pile on the floor to giggle until he regained feeling in his leg. It wasn't even a land-sway-stumble-fall progression. It went straight from landing to floor. The mental image still gives me the giggles.

Return to “General”