BEHOLD Phun (2d Physics sandbox)

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

olcaddy

BEHOLD Phun (2d Physics sandbox)

Postby olcaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Well I did a search and was surprised that I did not find this here. So I forward you to a very cool physics sandbox called Phun.

The site to learn all you wish and download.
http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

Its beta but very stable on my machine. Some boxes have issues getting it to run with little to no remedy. The guy making it cranks out new releases fairly regularly and seems very open to reasonable suggestions. I have seen several very good additions/upgrades. You can get a peek at it in action here.
http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/media.html

Also there are other user videos on the YouTube. Nothing all that impressive tho, mostly predictable Rube Goldberg machines. Ive been making self propelled mass throwing vehicles (you can just convert hinges to motors to make wheels but thats to easy). Heres an example of what I've got.

I didn't bother with finding out how to make a video I assume some free program will do me just fine. I look forward to see what XKCDers can create. I'm also in progress with a 2D four stroke one cylinder but classes exams HW drinking etc have been taking priority.

Be prepared for the fps do drop a great deal when you liquefy objects. He is working on making water run faster. Just zoom in and keep absolute amount of water low.

Hopefully the 2nd postness doesn't get anyone/thing angry about all the links.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: BEHOLD Phun (2d Physics sandbox)

Postby Bobber » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

olcaddy wrote:Hopefully the 2nd postness doesn't get anyone/thing angry about all the links.

Should be fine as long as you post awesome stuff :wink:

I haven't tried Phun, but I've played something that sounds very similar - Falling Sand Game, or FSG.

FSG is also a 2D physics engines, and there are tens of player created mods to it.

It's very easy to add new stuff to a text file, and there are mods specializing in biology (fungus, vira, bacteria etc), chemistry (elements, lab equipment) and pyrotechnics (C4, gasoline, black powder) just to name a few.

You can also decide how every element reacs to every other element, as probabilities for stuff, such that all NaCl won't instantly disappear into the H2O, but will dissolve over time.

But enough about that :P
I will try Phun as soon as I get home to my REAL computer, this laptop probably won't even pull of 1 FPS :)
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

I've been playing this for a few weeks now and I'm surprised at the lack of fan videos and fan websites on youtube.
It's absolutely fantastic.

I've been making vehicles using the motors and trying to create a loop, so far I've found a multi sectioned vehicle with 3 wheels to be most effective so far.

Smooth curves are very hard to do.

I bet all that water slowed it down a lot.
Ⓞⓞ◯

sgt york

Chiming in...

Postby sgt york » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Very fun game(?) sim(?), I saw it on Boingboing about a week ago. My daughter loves it, she's been studying balance in school. I made a few things for her to balance out, and she loves it. It made a nice intro to levers and torque as well, so she's now ahead of the rest of the 1st graders.

She even independently came up with the idea of a catapult from playing with some hint-laden problems to solve. Which led to her wanting to know why heavier blocks didn't fly as far as the lighter blocks, even though she dropped the same weight on the other side of the catapult....I'm so proud. Tonight I'm going to show her what happens when those blocks hit another one.

I just have to make sure she doesn't have any building materials available....

However, it does not run on all machines. Runs great on my home computer, not so good on my wife's and not at all on the laptop. It's beta and therefore buggy. Don't get too frustrated with it.

taby

Postby taby » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

If you are all into this kind of thing, the author had posted about this on Gamedev.net just before the Boingboing article.

Gamedev.net has a screenshot of the day on their main page that displays all kinds of projects (mind you, not all are of the calibre of Phun).

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

olcaddy wrote:Hopefully the 2nd postness doesn't get anyone/thing angry about all the links.

Angry? Not really, but please make some posts elsewhere in the forum and I will unlock this thread.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

Okay, cool. You're up to 7 posts, and none of them are spammy, so I'm unlocking this. It looks like a pretty cool program.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

dagothar

Postby dagothar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 am UTC

Fast sketch to visualise the treadmill vs. airplane problem(just don't kill me :) ):
http://www.phunbox.net/details/4637/

screen.png
Overview.
screen.png (98.1 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

Airplane model is powered by the two wheels above (use left and right arrows to operate). Treadmill is powered by the two bottom wheels.
Simulation shows relative motions of treadmill, airplane and the air(the background that is).

You can try adding various constrains: fixing wheels to the treadmill(that's absurd anyway), changing wheel/treadmill friction, removing treadmill motors, changing motors strength, anything.

Notice how at the very start when the treadmill runs, airplane accelerates very slowly due to its movement - that's because the only power transferred between airplane and treadmill surface can be only due to the rolling friction and it's very low if the wheels are allowed to rotate freely.

The treadmill matching wheels speed clause in the problem means actually that there is no slippage so the linear speeds of point at the wheel rim and surface it touches are always the same.

Make your observations.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:02 am UTC

This looks quite neat. I presume everyone in this thread has played bridge builder aka pontifex?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Okay, cool. You're up to 7 posts, and none of them are spammy, so I'm unlocking this. It looks like a pretty cool program.

Isn't double posting against the rules? Naughty.

Anyway, this looks pretty cool, has anyone played fantastic contraption?

paradoxeater

Postby paradoxeater » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

how can you not mention OE CAKE(which is now undownloadable due to the creators being fags and getting rid of it, so now you eaither rapidshare it or DING DING ILLEGAL TORRENT DOWNLOAD) its phun+FSG

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Resur-erecting this thread, as I've gotten back into phun (permanently in Beta it seems, as they have a professional product now called Algodoo (because phun.org is nsfw)) and I'm having a contest with some of my year 11 students to make an effective war machine, breaking as few laws of physics as possible (having a restitution > 1 is a great way to launch ammunition)

Problem is, I can't get a reloader to work nicely/reliably. Balls get jammed, or the next shot falls into the chamber before the pin has retracted (causing all sorts of problems), or any other number of issues... Was wondering if people knew of a method or design that circumvents this. My next step is a negative load (from the base, not the top), pushing up ammunition one at a time, and only when the chamber is clear.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

I like the idea of loading a piece of ammunition twice.... that should work very well. Thanks.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Return to “Science”