Supreme Commander

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael001

Supreme Commander

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:30 am UTC

I am surprised that I didn't find a thread about Supreme Commander. It is the spiritual successor to Total annihilation and was a huge deal when it released. It has huge maps, tons of units and most importantly the main view screen can be zoomed all the way out to view the whole map. This is something that you, once you use it, will wish that all RTS's had.

I have had the game for a while now, and I just got the expansion, and now I have a problem.

SupCom is a very hardware intensive game, it runs a little slow on big maps with lots of units but it is playable (on my computer). The problem is that after at least an hour (up to two hours) of playing the single player campaign my computer will shut down with no warning. This computer is a laptop, in all cases the computer was plugged in and the battery was fully charged. The computer did seem to be running hot, I let it cool down an then restarted with no errors in all cases.

I guess this can be a place to talk about the game, but if someone knows why Supreme Commander kills my computer help would be appreciated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Supreme Commander

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 am UTC

The game I dig, but at least in a lot of the buildup hype I was led to believe there was a larger difference in size scale than there actually is... basically, I was expecting superunits to be at least four times larger than what they are, if not bigger.

Ah, well....

Have you tried... and I ask though I'm sure you have... saved a game after about 45 minutes, rebooted your machine, fired it up again and see what happens?

I'm basically wondering if there's some memory leak thing, or if it's a function of the total number of units in play or something..

All patched and up to date for both the game and your video drivers, rightright?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 am UTC

supcom is really fun.. i love it. but I think it's almost too simple.. i mean, just the two resources in flux.. the fact is, it's trying to expand out of micro and macro, but it's not as huge and overarching as it could be. it's just those two things, and the major diffreence you notice in map size is travel time.

but I haven't played any truly epic games against equal skilled opponents on 81km maps... (imo the 81kms are too watery.. we need them all to be more like seton's clutch) but I think that might change my definition of the whole deal.

however, I sitll love it.
uhhhh fuck.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Have you tried... and I ask though I'm sure you have... saved a game after about 45 minutes, rebooted your machine, fired it up again and see what happens?
I'm basically wondering if there's some memory leak thing, or if it's a function of the total number of units in play or something..
All patched and up to date for both the game and your video drivers, rightright?

The only way to continue through the campaign for me is to save often and hope for the best. The game will reload and run for approximately the same amount of time regardless of what point I'm at in the game. The game is fully patched and as far as I know I have the most updated drivers for my video card (which is built in,) it is old enough now that it is hard to find on Nvidea's main site.

I personally think that I need more RAM. I have 2 gigs in 2 one gig sticks. It can also take two 2 gig sticks (I don't know enough about the hardware components to know whether or not larger RAM sticks would work).

My favorite thing to do is to build 5-10 fatboys as fast as possible, and send them into the enemy base. Once they get near, have them all stop, build five or ten sky boxers and 10 or 15 Tech Level 3 Siege bots each. This group can then walk over almost any base provided it is not defended by nukes. It is easiest to do this in one player, though the difficulty seems to ramp up after each check point based on what you have built. In one I had seven fatboys all lined up with their entourage when the next part of the map was opened. Three galactic colossus's and three Monkey Lords spawned right beside my fatboys. I had two left by the end of the fight.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

The official forums (forums.gaspowered.com) have some tools and patches/hacks created by a member called MadBoris. It might help to try a few of his things.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

I enjoyed the game but from all the pictures i thought it would be more....epic. I was expecting units that towered above the map and made enemies look insignificant. Unfortunatly because of the zoom out for miles function theres no such sense of scale. The maps are so bleak that all you have to do is keep zoomed in towards the beginging of the game then zoom further and further out when your units get bigger and its just like playing any other RTS

I wants big stuff :(
One day something wity and original will appear here

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Great game! Though I play on 2 monitors so I can be zoomed in on one and zoomed out on the other (more games should support multiple monitors) which makes it a lot more interesting/fun than playing with only one monitor.

For your issue, the game is really CPU limited, 2 gb of RAM is more than enough to play without issue, but if your CPU can't handle it, the game will be a slideshow no matter how many gigs of ram you have or how many years it will take for someone to develop a game that utilizes your Video Card's full potential. Since your running on a laptop, I'm going to bet the CPU is getting too hot and shutting down the game.

anyway, the stealthed monkey-lord swarm is the way to go, they may not stand up one on one with other TL4 units, but since you can build three in the same time it takes to build pretty much any other experimental that hardly matters.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:59 am UTC

fatboys can take em cause of range though.

and mavor > all. even nukes.
uhhhh fuck.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Anyone want to organize a huge deathmatch? I enjoy this game, but haven't really played much to flesh out strategies.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone want to organize a huge deathmatch?

I wouldn't mind playing one, but I imagine "Huge" means 8 players, which could potentially take a very long time, and there is no save and continue in the game.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone want to organize a huge deathmatch?

I wouldn't mind playing one, but I imagine "Huge" means 8 players, which could potentially take a very long time, and there is no save and continue in the game.

And anyone with less than a Cray will experience major slow down. Unless they have patched it significantly since last I played.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

I tried to get an 8 player game going online. All but three of the other players dropped before it was finished loading (it was taking a long time). It would be good to get a game going though.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:fatboys can take em cause of range though.

and mavor > all. even nukes.

Fatboy would only take one or two out before the monkeylords got in range, and if you let your enemy have the time and resources to actually build a Mavor then you deserve to lose.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I've got a sparkling new gaming computer (A quadcore and 4 gigs of ram - no slowdowns what so ever), and I get the sudden shutdown as well. That, and the trouble I had with patching is ruining the game for me... I'm just too annoyed with it. I'll poke around at the forum for a solution.

I also like to watch replays from great matches, but for some reason I can only open some generic ones... They're probably playing with some kind of mod, but I've got no idea how to find out which is it.

Rant aside, I'd like to participate in a game, but as I live in Europe, I'm not sure if that's possible, timezone-wise.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:33 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:And anyone with less than a Cray will experience major slow down. Unless they have patched it significantly since last I played.

Depends. Their P2P system slows it down to the speed of the slowest computer, if everyone has a half decent computer, it shouldn't slow *too* much.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:56 am UTC

What are the time zones of everyone here? I am in GMT -5.

edit: also, who has the expansion?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:17 am UTC

I'm GMT -7. I can *ahem* get access to the expansion. I've played it before and the Seraphim seem *really* unbalanced. Their TL4 Missle Launcher is more powerful than a nuke and takes less time to build, as does the nuke bomber. Though I do quite like the Aeon Resource Generator, that thing is awesome.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:22 am UTC

I've had problems similar to that before. If you have an AGP card then try turning off AGP Write and AGP Read (I used Catalyst Control Center to do that since I had an ATI card) and that stopped it from crashing for me. Otherwise the only other time it crashes is if my computer overheats (heats + dust = not good) so I just get an external fan and get it blowing on my comp and then it doesn't crash anymore.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:34 am UTC

I had forgotten that method, I used to do that on my old computer for Guild Wars.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:54 am UTC

Nobody's posted here in a while....SupCom deserves better than that peoples! Especially Forged Alliance.
Anyways, "Experimentals" is on the horizon, should be an interesting, if not small expansion pack (an irony considering the size of experimentals).
But all the same, I'm running a nice laptop, Toshiba A300M00, runs SupCom and FA quite well, however I have those crashing problems. Might need more ram for the largest maps,but since I dont like excessively watery maps its not too much of a loss till then.
All the same, you have to give Chris Taylor merit; I have lived my a lot of my life with his games; Total Annihilation and now Supreme Commander.
Despite being not quite the excessively epic size some imagined, the experimentals are still pretty huge and devastating. Making a peace deal for the major bases between two players for 3 hours plus can really make things interesting; both sides have captured all other sides technology (from players not within the deal, and sometimes even civillians), both have a paragon, both have more than 100 experimentals (mixed) etc. Then the cease fire ends. Then all manners of hell brake loose, generally ending in either game slowdowns, crashes, or if everyone is using powerful enough computers and a fast enough connection; utterly spectacular battles that are almost beyond control; grab some popcorn and spacebar.
As you can see I love the game, but rarely get the chance to play online.
Also, to be noted is the existence of some high quality mods, unit packs etc. To those who want the size differences between units bigger, I believe there is a mod for that.
Well, I'm gonna stop rambling now before the monologue gets huge (should I say supreme?)

Mods worth trying; hawksmod (or something like that) and the 4th dimension mod.
For vanilla supcom; try thevoicesareover.

LP
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

ACU-LP

Re: Supreme Commander. New stuff. BLASTED TACTICAL MISSILES!

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:46 am UTC

I thought that due to the supremity of this game, the thread deserved a bump.

Things to try; 4th dimension mod (v1.91 fixed) is a very good one; it is forged alliance version (though earlier ones were for vanilla) and it not only adds units, but tweaks old ones, tweaks projectiles, explosions, etc.
It adds new, but balanced units including my favourite the Harkon; think Star Wars AT-AT (except smaller). Heavy tech 3 assault bot, can do a lot of damage and has immense health, but if you know how, can be easily destroyed. Also, for balance purposes, it cannot be transported and is really really slow.
Projectiles such as missiles move more realistically (i.e. faster, but slightly less accurate in most cases), lasers are kept as accurate, but are slightly more powerful and fired in bursts rather than constant streams.
Intead of your / your opponents units going down in a white flash, they explode (sometimes with shockwaves) and burn, sometimes with faction specific animations (i.e. green misty explosion stuff for aeon). Also, when a unit dies and explodes, the explosion can cause shrapnel damage to nearby units.
Some of the aeon point defences now become concealed when not in use (this was going to be implemented in the original game but was left out, also (though it is currently broken) when concealed, the aeon turrets etc are supposed to take reduced damage.

Also worth trying is the Sorian AI. It is a downloadable AI that is more advanced than the retail one, but also more efficient (less demanding on your processor).
If it is attacking you, but blocked by a wall, it is more intelligent at pathseeking to find the best angle of attack; i.e. if there is an angle at which it can hit your unit whilst avoiding being hit itself.
Also, a nice feature is that it names its experimental units, often quite appropriately to their use / what they are.
My favourite thing with the Sorian AI is that once it has built a paragon, its tactics instantly change to adapt to the nigh on unlimited resources. The retail AI builds a paragon, then continues as normal. The Sorian AI however will go....well....crazy; since it has next to no resource limits, excessively defends the paragon, and goes crazy on armies and experimentals. Combined with the power of engineering stations (yeah, it will actively attempt to steal your technology), you can be in for one hell of a fight. (i.e. a Czar up and running every 20 something seconds, galactic collossi spamming, etc.)
If it discovers that single experimental attacks arnt working, it will stock up experimentals and use them all at once; one particular time it had 4 megaliths, 10 spiderbots and 3 soul rippers flanking one of my positions. It will also change its assault types / tactics if the current one is not working.
Also, if the makers are informed of any particular mod/map that people would like it to be compatitble with, they release a new version that can do so. I.e. the version I have is 4th dimension compatible; it'll use the new units (to suprising efficiency) whereas the retail AI will not. If a map is not Sorian compatible, the AI will 'chat' and (in stylised phrases) ask where the map markers have gone, etc.
Also, the AI will taunt you using in game voices (the voice you hear depends on the faction you are against). Also, it will occasionally taunt when it sends experimentals at you; i.e. it says things like 'I am sending you a little friend, play nice' when it launched a soul ripper on my base.
The AI will attempt to predict unit movements when launching tactical missiles, to great efficiency / success.

On a last note, not relevant to mods etc, but more something that I do not like about the game, the computer is a
Spoiler:
goddamn motherfucking
tactical missile whore! It comes to a point where you assault their base with an experimental (especially with the sorian AI tactical missile targeting system) and before it is within range to attack, it has been quite frankly obliterated by going on 100 tactical missiles. :evil: Anyone know of anything I can do to stop this? PLEASE? (like a mod or something, not just blow the hell out of them)

Also, there is a thread somewhere (on another fora) that supplies instructions on how to stop the crash to desktop that occurs when the game uses more than 2 GB of ram. This fix works for some, but not others.

So yeah, feel free to talk about anything about SupCom. *BUMP*
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

If you're playing as Cybran, build lots of loyalists. Other than that, micro like crazy.

Playing against AI is fine, but there's nothing like playing online. There's always someone playing something weird (Generally I try to play reasonably normal games, although sometimes venture into no-air or phantom games [phantom can be lots of fun]). There are small groups that hang out on ventrilo channels, and the Gas Powered Games forums are usually reasonably active, so check them out, too.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Gowerly wrote:If you're playing as Cybran, build lots of loyalists. Other than that, micro like crazy.

Even if I dont play cybran, I have generally acquired their technology. But I personally find the loyalists innefective against these sorts of numbers of tactical missiles; you cant even defend against 20 tactical missiles if they're all targeting a specific point.
Also, even when you micro, the Sorian AI attempts to take into account as many different options as possible; the first time you start microing your forces to avoid the missiles, it'll attack your direct paths (ahead of time) to attempt to pre-emptively hit the target. However, the more times you do this, the more it gets used to how you do it and if you dont change the movement patterns, it'll just hit you anyway, and if you do, it'll just shell the entire area with missiles. Due to the number of missiles, even 'random shelling' can take down a monkeylord long before it can attack, and the other experimentals are just too darn slow. The slower the experimental, the less possible routes, the higher the likleyhood of it being hit.

Generally games against the computer involve me winning by spamming air experimentals and gunships.

Also, I would love to make a game (all human), where we all build massive armies and converge them on a single point, all hold fire.
Then once everything is in place (500 units each side, approx) then its time to fire at will. Its not so much about who wins, more just to watch all hell break loose, and put that strategic camera angling stuff to good use.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

I can't get SupCom to run on my laptop, otherwise I would love to get a game night going.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Also, I would love to make a game (all human), where we all build massive armies and converge them on a single point, all hold fire.
Then once everything is in place (500 units each side, approx) then its time to fire at will. Its not so much about who wins, more just to watch all hell break loose, and put that strategic camera angling stuff to good use.

There are usually 2xNR20 games up (double res 20 min no rush), and sometimes they'll be No Nuke No Air No Arty games, meaning it's just a massive land war, which can be interesting to watch (although there's ALWAYS ONE with a really crappy computer). You should try a couple of those when they're around.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

No rush is always a good rule / truce to go by, but there's always some asshole/newb out there who will attack you before the truce is over only to get pwned.
Also, very few people out there are patient enough to set up the kind of battle I'm looking at. I'm thinking, the 500 units each but min 100 experimentals, and minimum of four sides involved.

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

NR20 is enforced by the game, there's a circle round your base from which you cannot escape. You will have problems trying to get 4 sides to create that many units without attacking, yes. Most people are in it for the strategies involved early game as well as late. The game is immense fun in the 1st 10 minutes at the lower tiers. Your ACU is such a valuable asset there.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Gowerly wrote:NR20 is enforced by the game, there's a circle round your base from which you cannot escape. You will have problems trying to get 4 sides to create that many units without attacking, yes. Most people are in it for the strategies involved early game as well as late. The game is immense fun in the 1st 10 minutes at the lower tiers. Your ACU is such a valuable asset there.

Indeed in an NR20 game you cant go outside of the circle, but it also means you cant set up the epic battle
The aforementioned parameters also need most units to be within range (or close to it)
Computers may crash, but in the meantime, it'll be fun!

Also, there was an interesting case where someone (hawkeye, the mod maker I think) who attempted to make a scatter nuke. All was going well, including balancing. Then he fired it. Then he realised as the enemy base became shrouded in radiactive symbols that he must of accidentally looped the split code. Nukes infinitely splitting into two as they head toward the ground. I think it got to more than 100 before they hit the ground. Then the game stopped for 5 minutes.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

So, I like vanilla T2 combat the best. You get really interesting units, without the ridiculous power-playing of T3 and up. The size of the map still matters, and aircraft are still good against water units. You also get shields that are penetrable by less than full firepower, cloaks that aren't stopped immediately by omni-sensors, and enough fog of war that you can see what is coming, but not what is waiting for you to go over there.

What I actually want is a game where resource generation is logarithmic, so that you can't whore out your economy to T3 too fast. I wanna enjoy the whole game.
<Cheese> I love you

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 am UTC

My friends and I used to play a lot, before FA came out and before we realized we hated a lot of things about the game (the AI, the unit balancing, the AI, several other things including the AI - and yes we used a third party one). We liked to play on... crap, I can't remember the name of it now, but it is the map where you have four spots in one corner, and four in the opposite corner, and the narrow bridge in the middle, with an ocean on either side of the bridge.

Anyway, our strategy was pretty good: I would be in the first spot closest to the bridge. Basically, I was the tank. I had a knack for making nigh-invulnerable shield patterns, surrounded by guns/AA turrets/artillery, that were just damn near impossible to break. Of course, they COULD be broken, but that's where my allies come in. I would usually play with one or two friends against an equal number of AIs, and while I was tanking and building massive mass/energy farms (16 T3 energy reactors, in a 4x4 grid, with a T3 mass generator between each power plant, also surrounded by guns and shields), my friends would have barebones defense, and instead devote their time and energy to mass-producing giant armies, which would soar over/walk through/float by my base on the way to crush the bad guys into dust.

It probably helped that I liked to play as the UEF. Having a few Mavor T4 artillery cannons mean I can providing heavy fire from 80km away.

Of course, the AI would build such a massive horde of T1 units that it would bog the game down, and then we would either get frustrated and quit, or nuke the hell out of the enemy until the T1 guys popped, and then move in for the kill. And no, we never played online against human opponents - for one thing, the tanking strategy would be invalid against somebody who could think, "Okay, giant fortification. I'll go around it." And for another, I was the only one with a legal copy.

I never even played or bought Forged Alliance, it didn't look interesting enough. Is it fun?

(Edit)

Also, fun story: we were on the 8-player giant map with the eight branches coming out of the center point. The usual three people playing. The AI was nuking us to death - I mean CONSTANT nukes. They were all aimed at me at first, and then shifted fire to the next one of us when they discovered my anti-nukes were too numerous for them. So were his, so they shifted fire again to the third one of us.

"Hey, Mark, you've got a nuke defense built, right?"
"Yep."
We watch the radioactive symbol falling.
"You're sure?'
"Yeah, it's right here."
"Okay..."
We continue to watch it fall.
"Mark... did you build the actual missiles for the nuke defense?"
Silence, the symbol continues to drop at an alarming rate.
"Mark... Mark?"
"SHUT UP."
BOOM.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:22 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:So, I like vanilla T2 combat the best. You get really interesting units, without the ridiculous power-playing of T3 and up. The size of the map still matters, and aircraft are still good against water units. You also get shields that are penetrable by less than full firepower, cloaks that aren't stopped immediately by omni-sensors, and enough fog of war that you can see what is coming, but not what is waiting for you to go over there.

What I actually want is a game where resource generation is logarithmic, so that you can't whore out your economy to T3 too fast. I wanna enjoy the whole game.

See, thats where banning unit types comes in handy (like no tech 3, etc.)
Also, in 4th dimension, the units have been rebalanced such that tech 1 units are still handy in the late game. There are more units in each level, making playing on any tech more fun. In vanilla and even FA, I found the tech 3 siege assault bots moved to fast, and hence meant lower tech were unnecessary, but with 4th dimension, they're slower, and some of them cant rotate their upper-body the whole way round, etc. This is very good combined with Sorian AI, because you get to observe some interesting patterns. If you have a bunch of tech one, several tech 2 and a couple tech 3 and one experimental in a large assault force, depending on its method of defense, depends on what it will target; if it has high damage defense systems, it will take out the experimentals first, but if it has spammy, low damage high rate of fire defense, it'll knock out the most units it can with that. Also, if one particular unit is causing too much damage, they will focus on it. Once this actually included my mech marines; the experimental was attracting damage, allowing the marines to rush into the base, at which point they became a higher priority target.

Xaddak wrote:We liked to play on... crap, I can't remember the name of it now, but it is the map where you have four spots in one corner, and four in the opposite corner, and the narrow bridge in the middle, with an ocean on either side of the bridge.

That map is called Setons Clutch, one of the most played maps in existance.
I agree that AI tech one hording can get annoying, but the main issue with playing against an AI is that having it there will slow the game down. If you do not have an AI in play, you can tech one spam all you like and get little lag.
Also, with an AI like Sorian's, if its tech one spamming does not work and its ready for tech two, but at its unit limit, it will 'suicide' unnecessary units. So tech 1 spamming wont last as long.

YAY, thread revival.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:17 am UTC

I played it some. Didn't care for the base micro (building lots of the same stuff over & over), or the zooming out. No sense of what was going on.

The colors were a little too cartoony and flat, too.

But then, I only played a couple terran missions. Maybe it gets better when you have access to more than one tech level.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 am UTC

Forged Alliance is what Supcom should have been. Mass fabricators are pretty much pointless, t1 is still useful late game (and in 1v1s, getting out of the t1 stage is tricky on some maps), the arcraft are useful (some a little too useful, but that's being redressed), Experimentals are cheaper and faster, but less ridiculous at the same time, you can take them down with things that AREN'T experimentals. There's less of a focus on Turtling/Porcing and more focus on being creative. I've won games on setons by hitting unit limit with t1 artillery after sneaking an engineer round the map and chruning out factories. The Seraphim are rather underpowered in the air and somewhat average on land and sea, but they're fun to play as. The game is much more fast paced and much more about capturing land, as you can't simply sit in your area and build t2 power and mass fabs any more.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

How many people can we get together for an xkcd tournament or something?

One.
<Cheese> I love you

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

I would, but my current internet blocks it...damn.
Also, I would require you all to have 4th dimension (seriously; try it)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

I went to see what 4th Dimension did and it said (paraphrased) "Balance Notes: A crapton". Did it fix the Mercy problem?
<Cheese> I love you

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I went to see what 4th Dimension did and it said (paraphrased) "Balance Notes: A crapton". Did it fix the Mercy problem?

Mercy problem?
I know that they put the mercy to pre-patch days and increased its fuel from 120 to 180....but I never patched anyway; often incompatible with mods.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:How many people can we get together for an xkcd tournament or something?

One.

two
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Big games causes the memory leak failure thingy for me. Of course, it might be better when the computer doesn't have to deal with working 3-7 AI's at the same time.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Multiplayer is much better performance-wise. Lua is a terrible scripting language. It is dynamically typed, supports reflection, first class functions, and closures. That sort of stuff does not belong in the biggest RTS in existence. Just play online, keep the temperature down near your computer, and maybe buy more ram from microcenter (iirc, $30/Gb).

To clarify on the mercy problem of before, there is a delicate balance in defining the range of the mercy. If the range is too big, AA can't shoot it down before it becomes a projectile. If the range is too small, it can fly under shields. Obviously, the first is the intended outcome, but they had the range too short and it could fly under all the UEF shields (except the T2 mobile one).
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Gaming”