Electric Guitar into sound card

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KoryK

Electric Guitar into sound card

Postby KoryK » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Hello everyone,

I am going to be buying an electric guitar in the next couple of days. I have a soundblaster x-fi which can apparently support electric guitars? Im super excited. i've never played guitar before so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. A friend told me he's heard of software that can teach me to play while my guitar is plugged in. Apparently there are games somewhat like guitar hero or something to teach you real guitar? If anyone has any information on this I would love to hear it. Or any information at all regarding electric guitars being plugged into my pc. This is all fairly new to me, as I only purchased the x-fi for gaming in the first place and never had the intentions to plug in instruments. Thanks for any input!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Re: Electric Guitar into sound card

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 am UTC

you just need the proper cable and/or adapter that will go from the guitar output to the soundcard line-in.

i've never heard of any of this software, but good luck with all that.

the best way to record electric guitar if you are going to do some serious recordings eventually, is to mic an amp and go through a mixer to the soundcard. that's for later though.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 am UTC

If you've got an effects pedal, doesn't have to be a full-fledged FX processor, just a regular Boss distortion stompbox or the like, plug into it and then patch out from there into the microphone input. Leave the stompbox OFF.

The idea being that the active bypass circuitry in the stompbox will buffer the signal and present the guitar's pickups with the right (very high, IIRC) impedance, preserving the right tonal balance. If you just patch the guitar into the microphone input you'll get a really muffled sound because the much lower impedance of the microphone input will load down your pickups and act as a HF filter.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:07 am UTC

you could blow the card/speakers anyway with a straight signal from the guitar. the only instrument that should be plugged directly into a computer is a midi controller.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I thought that was an urban legend. I for one have never blown anything in over ten years of recording at home patching instruments straight into consoles/soundcards/boomboxes. Not even with a bass guitar (heck, not even with a distorted bass guitar.)

YMMV, I guess.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

5lash3r

Postby 5lash3r » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:50 am UTC

I'd like to hear more about this teaching software / Guitar Hero stuff? I've had a tricked out sound card for a little while, and would seriously consider buying a guitar/bass if I could learn this way. Not that I'm not teaching myself already... this would just be a lot easier.

On a different note, consider getting Amplitube and Guitar Rig for fiddling around fun!
I only have a signature in the hopes that, in a million years, or several, or how ever many it takes, some erstwhile wanderer of the Internet will stumble upon it, and it will give them just a moment in which to smile.

To that end: LOL BUTTS LOL

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Is this the teaching game you're talking about? I read about it recently, and it looks really cool.

http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising ... tar-heroes

"According to GameTank's CEO Jake Parks, the connection to the guitar would either work 'via a guitar-USB adapter, a microphone, or directly to the sound card.' For both Mac and PC."
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:30 am UTC

For recording and (I believe) playing through your computer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=332600

For more serious recording:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=249701

I haven't used either, but I've heard good things about them.

Return to “Music”