Every Day Till April 30. Quest

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

tiny

Every Day Till April 30. Quest

Postby tiny » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Ok, the Easter Dance Days are over, and they contained enough fun to instantly kill a small rodent. It was so damn good to jump again and do adagios in the center... Joy! Plus I saw many girls who were stronger and more flexible than myself, which was verrrry inspiring.
So I decided, that I - after having reduced my training routine a bit since december - should exercise every day until summer semester starts (end of April). I had an every-other-day-routine for about half a year, and giving your muscles a break is always a good idea, but... well, fuck that, I want to become better!

My goals:
- better balance and turns,
- have my left leg catch up with my right flexibility- and strength wise,
- (which includes) left split,
- center split.

I'm going to make a post about my exercises every day to keep myself going, and perhaps I'll post some pics this week so I can do a bit of a before/after show off when April is over.
Last edited by tiny on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Masuri

Re: Every Day Till April 30. Quest

Postby Masuri » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

I salute your admirable goal!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

That sounds great! I like how general and reachable your goals are :mrgreen:
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Thank you, thank you :)

@lanicita: Reachable goals are the key to success :-D

But I'll be more specific:
- Turns and balance: I want to learn double turns and be able to stand in a retiré on demi pointe for at least five seconds.
- Left leg: I want developpés significantly higher than 90°, battements over 130° (<- stretching + strength in most major muscle groups) and pull it to 180°, both to the front and the side.
- Splits... that's as specific as it can get.
I didn't count the minor (and very general) goals that I'm constantly working on: More stability in the hips, better turn out, stabilized general pose, no more dropping elbows.

Today's training was good. 1.5 hours, timed by Matthew Bellamy singing and playing the guitar.
I focussed a lot on stretching because I had the intention to have my bf shoot some pics. Alas, I overdid it a bit and now my hip joints ache and that's no fun. So the pics will be made on sunday I think (my bf's got to work tomorrow).
I believe my left leg has no tendons and muscles; it has evil iron bands that don't want to elongate. My last few attempts using brute force weren't appreciated, so I'm trying a more tactical approach now. I'm tempted to say that it's promising, but I'll have to see what the next few days will bring.
For the center split I tried a new approach as well, but I can't say much about it's efficiency at the moment. We'll see.
And another new stretching technique (well, not really): Since my bar is rather low I used the ladder of my loft bed for bar stretching. The frustrating thing is, lifting the leg off the bar a few times afterwards was easier there than on the low one. So I could hold my developpés better if I'd start them higher, but then I'd have problems stretching the leg. No easy way out here. Woe!
I'm thinking about using the bed frame, too. It seems to have the right hight to brace my heel against it when my leg's pulled up. Tomorrow I can tell you if it works.

P.S: My ass muscles hurt!

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

tiny wrote:should exercise every day until summer semester starts (end of April). I had an every-other-day-routine for about half a year, and giving your muscles a break is always a good idea, but... well, fuck that, I want to become better!

I imagine you already know this, but just to be sure. Don't exercise the same muscles 2 days in a row, you need to give them a day off to heal.

I know little about stretching. Stretching the same muscles every day may be (and probably is?) fine.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:I imagine you already know this, but just to be sure. Don't exercise the same muscles 2 days in a row, you need to give them a day off to heal.
That's why I wrote that I know that muscles need a day off.
The thing is, I got considerably sore muscles during the 4 day long workshop that I mention in the original post, but I was ok on the last day. I'll see how things develop now, and adjust my exercises accordingly.

I know little about stretching. Stretching the same muscles every day may be (and probably is?) fine.
It's great, actually. I noticed significant progress during the workshop :-)

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Done. Mwah. 1.6 hours, measured by the punk sampler my brother made for me.
I didn't do that much for my muscles today, although I am not sore. I just feel a little... well... beefy between my hips and my knees. I stretched my thighs a little cause stretching is important when you don't want your muscles to look bulky; sad thing is, my thigh extensors are very flexible *and* kind of bulky. Compared to the pros and pre-professionals I drool about on youtube I have really really fat thighs. Oh well. Perhaps they'll shrink again when I really start to use the right muscles to lift my legs (those on the backside).
I flexed a *lot* again, and it was fun. No bad after effects of yesterday's exercises. It seems like it's hard to overdo stretching, als long as you don't strain something. I'm still waiting for my left leg to become smoother, though... What? Impatient? Me? Never. And it's annoying that my left knee always hurts, although I turn out the leg as far as possible.
Didn't try to use the bed frame today because I forgot.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Today's training was timed by Tori Amos. I only worked out for an hour, because I felt kind of tired, but I did a lot for my tummy and my arms.

And here come my 'before' pictures - spoilered because there are lots.

Spoiler:
Front, pulled up:
Image Image

Front, held only by the ginormous strength of my fat muscles - my bf took his time before shooting the right side, that's why I look like I want to kill:
Image Image

Side, pulled up; note the different distance from the foot to my head:
Image Image

Side, held by willpower; note the limp knees/foot:
Image Image

Right split with my humble beginnings of over stretching (the right knee is fully stretched, my leg is just... naturally curvy):

The following cake is a butt cheek sitting lie:

See the truth of my left split in the mirror:

Center split sitting/hovering:
Image Image

And now for a bit of freak show...

A sitting frog:

Yoga:

And finally my pseudo Cirque de Soleil performance:

EDIT: Damn, why does my ass look so flat in these pictures?

Invictus

Re: Every Day Till April 30. Quest - 'Before' pics posted :)

Postby Invictus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but an 'every day' workout program is terrible idea.

Every single gain made by the body is done during rest. When you're running, your heart and lungs don't improve their capacity until the break afterwards. In weights, your muscles don't get bigger or stronger until you give them time to rebuild. Flexibility, balance, agility, endurance- it's all the same. Basically by working everyday, you're going to starve your muscles of the time they need to repair and improve. The only thing it WILL do is make your muscles more susceptable to injury.

The mental side is just as bad, you've just seen all these great forms of motivation and you're starting your program on expectations that you will get quickly improve. You may make some short term improvements at first but you will quickly taper off because your muscles aren't repairing. Then you're going to crash, hard, you might not work out for months justifying it with "I worked hard for 2 months straight, now I need time off". Believe me, Every. Single. Client I've trained who insisted on daily workouts has done it.

Your best bet for a more intense yet healthier workout is 5 day splits, which are essentially:

Day 1 and 2: Split Workout
Day 3: Passive Rest.
Day 4 and 5: Split Workout
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Ligh training (limited only to flexibility and balance)

However, it's your choice, I'm just laying out the facts for you, do with them what you will.

Whatever you decide, good luck =)
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:34 am UTC

tiny wrote:EDIT: Damn, why does my ass look so flat in these pictures?

Psh, you and your insecurities, your ass looks fine :lol:
*waggles eyebrows*

tiny

Postby tiny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Invictus wrote:(...)Flexibility, balance, agility, endurance- it's all the same. Basically by working everyday, you're going to starve your muscles of the time they need to repair and improve. The only thing it WILL do is make your muscles more susceptable to injury.(...)
Your best bet for a more intense yet healthier workout is 5 day splits(...)
However, it's your choice, I'm just laying out the facts for you, do with them what you will.

Whatever you decide, good luck =)
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
My body seems to share your views on daily workout o.o' I'm tiiiiired again today. So I think I'll try your 5 day splits scheme - it's basically 3-1-2-1, right?
Working out every other day seems so futile in hindsight; flexibilitywise I achieved more in 4 days of everyday workout than in 9 month of every-other-day. It's sad but true.
I think I'll practice some turns on the 'resting' days. I found that they don't fit into my normal workout because they annoy me so I put them off till the end and then my muscles are too worn out...

Z.A.K wrote:Psh, you and your insecurities, your ass looks fine :lol:
If you say so.

Invictus

Postby Invictus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I think I'll practice some turns on the 'resting' days.

That sounds like a great idea. One of the trainers I work with never shuts up about "practise makes permanent, only perfect practise makes perfect". Practising high skill level movements while you're fresh and focused will go a long way to keeping your 'muscle memory' at a high standard of performance.

Just make sure you do those on your 'active rest' days. You should have atleast one day a week when your body get a nice long 24hr break =)

Glad I could have helped =)
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

0range

Postby 0range » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

Invictus wrote:[...]"practise makes permanent, only perfect practise makes perfect".

Truer words have never been spoken!
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

tiny

Postby tiny » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

I spent most of yesterday in bed, doing nothing because of a beginning flu. I still have a head ache, but if it gets better over the day I'll possibly do some turns and then a little stretching.
Full blown training again tomorrow.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I spent most of yesterday in bed, doing nothing because of a beginning flu. I still have a head ache, but if it gets better over the day I'll possibly do some turns and then a little stretching.
Full blown training again tomorrow.

Be careful, exercise can depress your immune system. Going back to full blown training too soon could make your flu get worse again. It sounds like you've already got a handle on taking it easy when your sick, so just keep listening to your body.
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Soooo... I am back on track. Kind of. My nose is still a bit runny, but else I'm in good shape again. Health wise, that is.
Training hurt today and my splits kind of died. Whatever. Tomorrow will be better.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Just so you know, I'm still working. Don't do much stretching at the moment, but my splits are back which is awesome.
My bi- and triceps don't seem to benefit from my training. That's frustrating. But my tummy and legs are definitely getting better. I'm not sure though if it'll be enough to see a real difference till this month is over.

Otis

Postby Otis » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

You're three days away and we haven't hear much for a couple of weeks. How are your goals coming along?

tiny

Postby tiny » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Oh, thanks for asking :-)

It's going not so well, though, actually. Which explains the lack of updates here.
I had a rather long essay to write (due on wednesday, handed it in today) so there wasn't much time and energy left for training. Plus I suspect that I've been stretching rather modest for the last two weeks (tired + stressed = squeamish).
My left split is still not quite there, but the right one is cemented and I'm slowly increasing the amount of overstretching.
Muscles... not much of a difference, legs as well as belly; although I can feel my abs becoming more distinct somewhere underneath that little pillow of fat.
My balance and double turns have improved the most. I now manage to tumble with my leg stretched ô.o No, really, that's a big step for me. I seemed to have some pretty resistant wiring saying: Bend knee after 360°. So all that stands between me and solid double turns now is my ability to spot (my eyes are really two bald, round sloths that sleep in my sockets) and that last bit of lack of balance.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 am UTC

So... April 30. has come and gone, my quest is over. The results are to be seen in the post above.
All in all this project was rather disillusioning, but meh. Whatever.
I think I'll stick to the routine, though, more or less. Perhaps I should see that as the big accomplishment? That I stuck to it? Go discipline, go me?
Sadly I'll most likely be unable to transfer this discipline into any other part of my life. Like uni. Or chores. ô.o
Oh well. Expect to hear from me again once I actually manage a left split.

Return to “Fit Club”