Insomnia

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Insomnia

Postby Ati » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Anyone else here have trouble sleeping?

I frequently find myself spending upwards of three to four hours tossing and turning in bed before falling asleep. On three occasions in two months, I have gone three days in a row without sleeping. A number of my geek/high-IQ friends have similar troubles, so I wanted to see if it was something universal to people who think to much. Opinions? Stories?
I can kill you with my brain.

TheAmazingRando

Re: Insomnia

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:11 am UTC

I always have trouble sleeping, spending a few hours tossing and turning, but I do eventually fall asleep (and when I don't I promptly crash after finishing whatever it is I do the next day).

I have a friend who hardly sleeps, just the other night he was over here because we were driving out to the desert early in the morning and he was up all night playing Metal Gear Solid 2, and didn't seem any less aware the next day. He's told me that he'll routinely go days without sleep and feel nothing until it suddenly hits him and he cannot stay awake. He's like a sleep camel.

Personally, my sleep patterns are just messed up. I can't sleep until 3-4 and have trouble waking up before noon if I have no pressing need to do so (driving down to school is usually that pressing need).

My sleep problems are caused by all sorts of things. Sometimes I can't stop thinking, sometimes I'm just generally restless, sometimes I'm just not tired. I know plenty of very intelligent people who have no trouble sleeping whenever they have to. During the day I'm great at taking quick naps, I can practically fall asleep on demand, but it still takes me forever to sleep at night.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I find that happens with me often. Ive tried to rectify some of the more sleepless nights with booze but it dosent help much.

Is it one of those mind racing and darting every which way before you can get a grip on it thing. Or do you just lay there in agonizing silence. I find most of the time i have problem with the former but the latter plagues me in hotel rooms.
If you want advice see a doctor, though i wont take any pills for it its your choice. Maby he can give you suggestions. I wouldent know.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Ati

Postby Ati » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Yeah, the thinking too much goes for me as well.

Honestly, I think some part of me just considers it an awful waste to spend eight perfectly good hours doing nothing in particular. I can never shut my brain down long enough to get some sleep. Music helps, since it overrides the subvocalization response, but I have to keep finding fresh music, or my brain tunes it out.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 am UTC

I spend hours doing my homework mentally. Lame, but I can't sleep cause of it
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:20 am UTC

i've been an insomniac since i was about 8... my mind races and won't calm down. alcohol makes it worse... i pass out if i drink enough, but once the alcohol has been metabolized i'm awake again immediately. i've learned many techniques that help (only doing bed related things in the bedroom, developing routines to relax my mind and body, lucid and directed dreaming) and they work okay... but it has become evident to me that i just don't need as much sleep as other people. i need about 4-5 hours a night. much more than that and i'm a waste during the day, much less and i can function but only for a day or two before i crash.

c'est la vie, ne?
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

marcas

Postby marcas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Always took a long time to fall asleep myself but will then always end up sleeping in. It didn't help that I was working a job last summer from 6 till 2 at night and would often have weeks where I would keep falling asleep later every night no matter how early I would go to bed (sort of like 25 or 26 hour days). Not quite insomnia but similarly annoying.

Back to college today and finding the change to normal sleeping hours tough as well as the loss of an hour Saturday night, hence the posting at 3am.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Insomnia and I can't sleep unless my whole Bed-Area is arranged a certain way.. (I've tried changing it, Couldn't sleep at all)
So I decided to try The Everyman's sleep Schedule! Todays my first do on it, And I'm functioning pretty fine off the 1/2 an hour of sleep I got last night :D, I Rowed as well as usual at Crew practice today too :D
Rawr!

Ati

Postby Ati » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:04 am UTC

I may have to try something like that. Unfortunately, I still have to functioning in time for school.

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:09 am UTC

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/howto.html has some general advice that may help.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 am UTC

HOLY SHIT. I was lying wide awake in bed, considering making this topic, not more than an hour ago!

My problem is that I can't sleep unless sufficiently tired. Normally this takes 20+ hours.

OH NOES. I CAN HAS ONLY FOUR HOURS SLEEP.

I like to sleep. About 8 hours does me grand. I can survive on 6 or less a night, and I have done, on and off, for the past few years. But I never feel awake afterwards. And my body still insists on not sleeping until I can't stay awake any more.

GRR.

I considered the 28-hour day option, but my college classes are out of sync with the timetable, so that's out.

Polyphasic sleep? Hah. No chance. I can barely get to sleep when I'm knackered, never mind mildly tired in the middle of the day.

Oh yeah, another thing. Some nights I go to sleep, and wake up 12 hours later, miss my alarm, and feel like shit.

Other nights I go to sleep, wake up, go to sleep, wake up, go to sleep, wake up, give in, watch television/use computer/play games/play guitar.

...I hate my body.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I think getting off the computer would help with insomnia.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Pandercolour wrote:I think getting off the computer would help with insomnia.

Nope. I regularly go, "Okay, no more computer, time for sleep."

Then I go to bed, and lie awake thinking about what I could be doing whilst I am lying here doing nothing.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I mean, like, often.

Get off the computer for a week. Go to the gym or something. I don't know what you do with your life, but a change of pace is probably needed.

Awesomium

Postby Awesomium » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

The only time I really have trouble sleeping is Sunday nights. I don't know why, but my head always seems to be just so full of stuff that I can't stop thinking. Normally I get stuck thinking about some maths or physics problem that I find really interesting, but I can't get anywhere with it because I can't concentrate due to tiredness. It's kind of self perpetuating, until I just get so tired that I just don't care anymore.
This failure does not tolerate organisation.

Kamikazee

Postby Kamikazee » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I've have then occasional problems with insomnia. Usually because I have way to much on my mind and just couldnt be fked going to bed. I break the pattern every now and then by taking 2 restavit (over the counter, contains doxylamine succinate) and read for about an hour then im out for about 8 hours - repeat everynight for about a week or 2 then its all good for a while. And go to the gym/run about 1hr everyday.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I don't sleep good at all. I don't drink a lot of caffeine but I wake up often around 2 or 3, stay awake for about an hour, then get up at like 7. It cuts majorly into my sleep time, then I'm exhausted at school.

And I go to bed at like 9:30.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

I have quite a bit of trouble with racing thoughts before sleep. Sometimes i can sort of try and distract myself by imagining a conversation or something and after about 10-20 minutes it sort of becomes a dream and im out for the night.
A Trusted Friend in Science.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I have trouble sleeping too. Like most people, it's because my sleep patterns are all off. Staying up later than I should, never going to bed at the same time, waking up early for work and sleeping in on the weekends..
I started taking melatonin to fall asleep, and it actually works great. It helps regulate your sleep cycles. I suggest picking some up at a drug store and taking some maybe 30 minutes before you go to bed. It doesn't knock you out or anything, it just makes it easier to fall asleep.
Also, I found that eating some kind of fruit like an apple a bit before going to sleep will help (don't eat anything else), or some light exercise.
Get off the computer at least 30 minutes before going to bed. Sit up and read or something, but don't go straight from the computer to your bed.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:i've been an insomniac since i was about 8... my mind races and won't calm down. alcohol makes it worse... i pass out if i drink enough, but once the alcohol has been metabolized i'm awake again immediately. i've learned many techniques that help (only doing bed related things in the bedroom, developing routines to relax my mind and body, lucid and directed dreaming) and they work okay... but it has become evident to me that i just don't need as much sleep as other people. i need about 4-5 hours a night. much more than that and i'm a waste during the day, much less and i can function but only for a day or two before i crash.

c'est la vie, ne?

QFT. Good sleep hygiene can be immensely helpful. A few tips can really improve your sleeping. Is your bed comfortable? Most dorm beds aren't if you're in college. Alcohol and caffeine both can lead to poor sleep. Caffeine is of course a stimulant, and alcohol decreases the time to sleep, but lowers the quality of sleep. You spend more or less time in REM (I think it's more...can't remember detail), but in any case, you wake up unrefreshed.

Try removing light from the room, computer screen or tv off. Music only if silence bothers you (no running TV shows in the background/winamp playlist of a season of simpsons) Turn the clocks towards the wall to remove the temptation to check. Relaxation techniques can help as well. Some people like the feeling of a melatonin tab before bed. Long term use of sleep aids such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) aren't recommended as you can feel crappy in the morning. Plus they dry you out.

There are prescription sleep aids, but Big Sleep Drugs can come with Big Side Effects. Light benzos such as diazepam or lorazepam can help for spot treatment, but they're quickly addictive as well as having a quick tolerance. Heavier ones like Ambien have their own weird side effects.

Exercise during the day, avoiding light, don't eat right before bed, All these things would make me a better sleeper too. It's hard, but you'll eventually fall asleep.

If your insomnia is to the point beyond annoyance where it is a serious problem, you should talk to a doctor. This is especially true if it bothers you to the point where you are in danger of falling asleep suddenly during the day. Many anxiety disorders can present initially as insomnia, so a consult with a psych about sleep patterns and worry may not be out of line.

There, an incredibly general approach to insomnia. Sorry, didn't mean to type this much, it just kind of comes out all at once....
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Awesomium wrote:The only time I really have trouble sleeping is Sunday nights. I don't know why, but my head always seems to be just so full of stuff that I can't stop thinking. Normally I get stuck thinking about some maths or physics problem that I find really interesting, but I can't get anywhere with it because I can't concentrate due to tiredness. It's kind of self perpetuating, until I just get so tired that I just don't care anymore.

How very XKCDian!
I mean, among regular students there was a very old saying: 'Studying is a best sleeping medicine.' Some said even that: 'If I can't sleep, I just take a study book, read it and after a page I feel soooooo sleepy....z.....z.zzzzz.zzz....'
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

One of my friends is an insomniac. He says it's great for when he needs to pull an all-nighter, but hell otherwise.

The really odd part is that he is physically incapable of sleeping for three days during each of the four main lunar phases (new, full, both halves). He calls it lunar-linked insomnia.
Insert witty phrase here.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

i think i figured out why i cant sleep, my adhd meds can cause it. my friend told me to take a unisom and i sleep like a brick, but the weird part was i was still tired when i woke up.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

When I quit smoking, imsomnia sneaks in like a bag of bricks, smoking again, sleeping again.

Freakin tobacco companies
To exist is to resist.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:47 am UTC

It usually takes me a few hours to get to sleep, but I don't feel tired when I wake up. Mostly because of this ingenious system I developed to cope with tiredness: Instead of getting up with my alarm I set it 1-1 1/2 hours ahead of when I'm meant to be up (usually ~6:15) and I allow myself to hit the snooze button until I need to get up. It feels like I'm letting myself sleep in.

Even before I implemented this however, I was still fine waking up earlier, (for more than a few years I would wake up at six in the morning to watch Saturday morning anime, even when they moved it to 7:00 I would get up and -no lie- would watch infomercials until my shows started. I was an anime purist back then and still am) the problem was when I found myself devoting one class in the middle of the day to sleep.

Ati

Postby Ati » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:15 am UTC

You probably aren't getting any REM. Be careful about that - too little, and you start to see things.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 am UTC

So of the last 4 days, I have slept 0 hours total on two of them, worst insomnia I've had for a while. Cause: Depression, Too much work, stress, food poisoning, caffeine addiction
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Pandercolour wrote:I mean, like, often.

Get off the computer for a week. Go to the gym or something. I don't know what you do with your life, but a change of pace is probably needed.

this sounds like a good idea. i'm on the computer every day, but the days i cut it short to go to the gym, or go outside, or get things done around the house, i'm always beat in a few hours, whereas normally it takes me forever to settle in for sleepytimes.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:37 am UTC

And on the other end of the scale we have narcolepsy, which is the 2nd funniest medical condition after tourettes.

Anyone else get a weird kind of drunken feeling when they haven't had enough sleep? I get this once in a while when I've been really deprived of sleep, like say, staying up til 5am and getting up at 7am - I end up feeling like I've been drinking and get all emotional and giggly. It's quite funny sometimes, though I wouldn't recommend it!

Right now, my problem isn't so much I can't sleep as I'm not getting enough of it. All I want to do is sleep, but got too much going on in my life right now. And being on-call doesn't help, when India ring you at 3am for something completely non-essential that could have waited til morning... grrr.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 am UTC

i get very grumpy and suffer loss of coordination. i'm more likely to clip my shoulder or arms against doorframes or furniture, so yeah, kind of drunk feeling i guess. headachey too.

also, i LOVE your avatar. that is genius.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am UTC

I doped myself up real good last night, as the tyranny of a head cold wrapped its stuffy claws around my sinii.

Night Nurse, a few paracetamol, two shots of 45% (85 proof?) whiskey, some echinacea tablets (for period pains, apparently), olbas oil injected into my nasal cavities, and a good hard suck on a lemon.

Knocked me out cold in minutes. And I'm an insomniac.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:also, i LOVE your avatar. that is genius.

Aw, shucks, thanks :oops:

Felstaff wrote:Night Nurse, a few paracetamol, two shots of 45% (85 proof?) whiskey, some echinacea tablets....

I really wouldn't recommend mixing paracetamol with alcohol, especially with something as potent as whiskey; you can do your liver some long term damage with that combo.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I doped myself up real good last night, as the tyranny of a head cold wrapped its stuffy claws around my sinii.

Night Nurse, a few paracetamol, two shots of 45% (85 proof?) whiskey, some echinacea tablets (for period pains, apparently), olbas oil injected into my nasal cavities, and a good hard suck on a lemon.

Knocked me out cold in minutes. And I'm an insomniac.

That sounds like a lethal cocktail.

I'm in. Sounds like trippy fun.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:And on the other end of the scale we have narcolepsy, which is the 2nd funniest medical condition after tourettes.

Anyone else get a weird kind of drunken feeling when they haven't had enough sleep? I get this once in a while when I've been really deprived of sleep, like say, staying up til 5am and getting up at 7am - I end up feeling like I've been drinking and get all emotional and giggly. It's quite funny sometimes, though I wouldn't recommend it!

Right now, my problem isn't so much I can't sleep as I'm not getting enough of it. All I want to do is sleep, but got too much going on in my life right now. And being on-call doesn't help, when India ring you at 3am for something completely non-essential that could have waited til morning... grrr.

....surely you're joking about narcolepsy being funny. *taps his sarcasm meter* As well as Tourettes being funny.....*narrows eyes*

As to the other half, yeah, a day or two without any sleep or rest is about equal to your brain as being at .08% BAC. Though not nearly as fun. Sleep deprivation can also cause other similar symptoms...GI, cardio, etc.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Ati

Postby Ati » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

I generally refer to my state after three days without sleep as a 'botched necromancy'.

The early side effects include headaches, tiredness (duh), mild manic tendencies, loss of fine motor control and balance, lack of attention, slurring of words, and impaired judgment. If it goes on much longer, I start seeing things running past me out of the corner of my eyes. That's when it's time to take a benedril and two melatonin and hit the sack.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Ati wrote:I generally refer to my state after three days without sleep as a 'botched necromancy'.

The early side effects include headaches, tiredness (duh), mild manic tendencies, loss of fine motor control and balance, lack of attention, slurring of words, and impaired judgment. If it goes on much longer, I start seeing things running past me out of the corner of my eyes. That's when it's time to take a benedril and two melatonin and hit the sack.

Do you also get the hallucination that background hum/fizz is a radio station that you can't quite make out, but you're sure you can hear people talking, and then music playing?

I get that if I've been up for a while.

Also visual hallucinations.

It's baaaad when you've been awake for nearly 3 days playing GTA:SA, and then you keep seeing cops on the corner of your vision, and you have to fight the urge to run away/shoot them.

...yeaaah.

Ati

Postby Ati » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

I don't get the radio thing, but sounds do blur quite a bit. Also, I get motion hallucinations - one time, at a friends house, at 5AM, after a full case of Bawls, I found myself levitating over his couch, as soon as I noticed it, I fell. And bounced off the couch. That was weird.

And I have a habit of seeing spiders. Yeah. Big, hairy spiders running over stuff out of the corner of my eyes. A big black shapes running past the windows when I'm not quite looking at them. When I start checking rooms for dementors, it's time to get some sleep.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Ati wrote:And I have a habit of seeing spiders. Yeah. Big, hairy spiders running over stuff out of the corner of my eyes. A big black shapes running past the windows when I'm not quite looking at them.

I get that. A lot.

Scary. :shock:

Ati

Postby Ati » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Also, when I'm really, really tired, if I blink, sometimes I'll get these really vivid flashing images, just for a second.

I distinctly remember seeing a giant green spider unfolding itself on a table once, and a pair of hands playing a piano. Not so much hallucinations, as sudden images.

Too little sleep plays games with the brain's ability to distinguish what's real.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Ati wrote:Also, when I'm really, really tired, if I blink, sometimes I'll get these really vivid flashing images, just for a second.

I distinctly remember seeing a giant green spider unfolding itself on a table once, and a pair of hands playing a piano. Not so much hallucinations, as sudden images.

Too little sleep plays games with the brain's ability to distinguish what's real.

Ugh.

Typical undersleep time:

*blink- Oh me yarm THERE'S SOME KIND OF PURPLE ZOMBIE THINGY HEADE-*

"Oh, it's gone. Maybe I should sleep..."

Return to “General”