Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit(Hey this has spoilers okay guys?)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Benitosimies

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit(Hey this has spoilers okay guys?)

Postby Benitosimies » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

I got this game Saturn's day and beat it last night.

Spoiler:
I liked it a lot more toward the beginning than toward the end. I thought the whole game would be about covering up my murders and staying out of prison as long as possible. It turned out to be about Mexican superpowers. :(

Which, okay, fine, yeah. I'll get into that; it's a video game. Superpowers. From the Mayans. Even though the guy isn't Mayan and doesn't have anything to do with that. I was like 'what'. And from the government. From government experiments. I would have had a little more fun without them.

Although it was cool when he went all supersaiyan the first time. Although it came at the cost of having a 'real' feel to it, of being a fun little game where you are a crazy killer.

And the freezing only came up like three quarters through the game as a serious thing. Same with the guy that looked like a Killer Instinct character who was posing as dead Agatha. Maybe it would make more sense to me if I'd read the Tempest.

The gameplay is cool. There is no difference between the cutscenes and the action, really. And you Use The Sticks. I thought that was neat.

I don't mind the contrived mexican superpowers. They weren't that bad. What made me mad was no nipples in the sex scene. WTF. That just looked weird.

And the little kid missions. Boo to that.

The game revolves around an unfortunate mopy white guy. Except for when you're detective Miles, which is good because you need that black coolness to save you from Lucas' mopes. It's true.
хлэб и Воля

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Indigo Prophecy (Hey this has spoilers okay guys?)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

The European version (which also had a different name. Yay standardizations) is apparently Nippletastic.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

The European version is called Fahrenheit. I only played the first few... uhh... scenes. This is on my list of games to eventually go back and give a complete play-through.

The "hit these buttons in the right order really quick" parts annoyed me, though.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

I really like Fahrenheit, somehow it succeeded in moving me a lot. I guess it is because of how character-oriented the game was. I mean, there probably is not much other games where killing someone makes the main character really sick and depressed. I guess that also the way they treated violence or just the chance of violence (in most cases just the gun pointing at Lucas meant the end of the game) helped avoiding desensitization, making it easier to feel empathy towards the characters.

There is an article in Gamasutra about the game. I respect that the making a working "man goes to work, saying goodbye to his girlfriend" scene was one of the goals instead of it being just a calm part between action scenes. Also, the music is great. (Angelo Badalamenti three letter acronym!)

SomeoneElse

Re: Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit(Hey this has spoilers okay guys?)

Postby SomeoneElse » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

This was a pretty good game, but I just remember the action sequences being crazy annoying, to the point where i gave up; never completed it. A bit in particular that i remember being insanely stupid was when you had to climb over a fence, moving the mouse in kinda-half-circles. Took me fucking ages to perfect. Fucking climbing a fence. Maybe it was easier on consoles?

Apart from that, I loved the thought put into the characters, the directing, and the timed split scene sequences were pretty fun. The plot started off pretty interesting, then as Yahtzee rightly points out, went batshit loopy halfway through. Why can't a game have a normal storyline without shoehorning in needless crazy sci-fi elements?

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Wikipedia tells us that the next game by Quantic Dream will not include supernatural elements. So this time there could be a game that has two good halves, but then of course the lack of supernatural does not imply that it would be good. There is a technology demo for Heavy Rain (which is the name of the game), if you people have not seen it yet. The demo video is said not to have any relation to the actual game, but it still gives me some expectations.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
Nobody besides me cares about the necrophilia at the end? Or how she got pregnant even though he was DEAD when they had sex in the subway?

I thought it was interesting.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:06 am UTC

lowbart wrote:
Spoiler:
Nobody besides me cares about the necrophilia at the end? Or how she got pregnant even though he was DEAD when they had sex in the subway?

I thought it was interesting.

Spoiler:
It's magic.
хлэб и Воля

aeki

Postby aeki » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Benitosimies wrote:Except for when you're detective Miles, which is good because you need that black coolness to save you from Lucas' mopes. It's true.

Did you know that black people are accompanied by a funk soundtrack that plays during everything they do? It's true! Meanwhile whites and latinos are stuck with tragic violins.

The thing I noticed most about this game is how... patchwork it seems. Like, every plot point, every character has been taken from other sources and stitched together into a single narrative - I see bits of Dark City and The Matrix in there, Carla's entire character was basically lifted from Jennifer Lopez's character in Out of Sight, the creepy girl from The Ring makes an appearance, the whole Mayan/AI antagonist thing has been done to death in several other games (although it's not a REAL story until the Templars show up). I mean, it's certainly entertaining to play through, and the pacing is great, but I don't think the story by itself is a strong point here.

lowbart wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Zombie sperm. Their undead (half-undead?) child is going to enslave the universe someday, didn't you hear the epilogue? I'd play that game.

Return to “Gaming”