God I hate people....

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I love people.

I love it when they walk too slow, taking the time to enjoy life instead of always rushing to some destination.

I love it when they talk to loud, adding to the buzz and music of a public space and creating a sort of hum composed of people telling private secrets loud enough for everyone to hear.

I love it when they don't try to control their children, letting tiny replicas of humans run amok in the streets and grow like they ought to, without a cage, and develop into even more lovely people.

People are the best. They're so much nicer than we give them credit for. I love talking to random people. Even stupid people are often really friendly and open if you're not a pretentious jerk to them.


And then they say something totally fucked up like "Oh, you're a physicist are you? Man you should totally check out WTBDWK it blew my mind! Amazing stuff."
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
AlwaysRelated
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby AlwaysRelated » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I love people.

I love it when they walk too slow, taking the time to enjoy life instead of always rushing to some destination.

I love it when they talk to loud, adding to the buzz and music of a public space and creating a sort of hum composed of people telling private secrets loud enough for everyone to hear.

I love it when they don't try to control their children, letting tiny replicas of humans run amok in the streets and grow like they ought to, without a cage, and develop into even more lovely people.

People are the best. They're so much nicer than we give them credit for. I love talking to random people. Even stupid people are often really friendly and open if you're not a pretentious jerk to them.


I don't mind when people walk slowly, unless they stop right in the middle of the hallway and make traffic slow down to one person on each side of them when you could easily fit six abreast. I was in Disneyland during spring break, and manouvering around people was one of the best things there. Finding paths through the constantly changing maze, dodging strollers, little kids running around, etc. Almost more fun than Space Mountain.

I agree that people are pretty awesome. It's the reason why I pick up every hitchhiker I can. You learn so much about things that you never would, or learn about jobs that you would think "someone does that?".

The only problem I have with people in general is when they are inconsiderate (even when they're inconsiderate by accident, even though I'm like that sometimes). For instance, the people who stop in the middle of the hall, or the lady who parked her car in the middle of the school driveway (a no stopping zone) to pick up her kids and chat to a friend. Traffic was stopped for atleast five minutes. After this, she pulled into a parking spot to continue doing whatever she was doing. Talk about win.
Image

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 am UTC

Wow, that was more of a response than I expected. First off... the general notion of 80%, or whatever, of people believe they are better than average. I quote Richard Jeni, "You know what the average person is? Average." I know I am an idiot when it comes to certain things I thank the gods that I have patient IT friends who field my idiotic questions.
My "God I hate people" thing mainly comes from people who just seem to wander with no aim or direction in public places and parents who let their children back into my shopping cart. They usually yell at me for running over their child even though I stopped my cart and the idiot failed to watch where he was going and ran into a stationary object. I consider it a learning experience for the child.

1. Move with a purpose.
2. Watch where you are going.
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Torvaun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 am UTC

I generally hate people. There are a few exceptions, but when you get right down to it, laws are pretty much the only thing keeping me from killing folks sometimes. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. Like running over a squirrel with a car, or spraying a hornet's nest.

Feel free to tell me that I'm a horrible person. I've already heard it, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over that either.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Zohar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 am UTC

goblin_subway wrote:1. Move with a purpose.
2. Watch where you are going.


OK, I agree with "watch where you are going", that's probably a good safety tip, although there are other ways to educate people (and certainly children). As for "walk with a purpose"? How about the purpose of enjoying your time, not hurrying anywhere? I refer you back to Parkaboy's post. Maybe malls in the US are more crowded than in Israel or something. I'm usually a fast walker and I never have trouble going through the mall. The only thing that slightly annoys me is when people stand on both sides of the moving escalators and even then, I lose a few seconds?

It's just not worth getting upset about.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ++$_ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:And then they say something totally fucked up like "Oh, you're a physicist are you? Man you should totally check out WTBDWK it blew my mind! Amazing stuff."
I thought it was usually, "Oh, you're a physicist? Maybe you can help then; my son has a bit of a cold...."

I don't like people.

The thing about 80% of college students being sure that they are above average intelligence is just another example of why I don't like people -- and of the stupidity of people. (First of all, let's get something straight -- I am among the 30+ percent of those students who are correct in their judgment, so I have the right to make the these statements.)

People walk too slowly -- I don't really care. Some people don't want to walk fast. That's okay. But do they have to walk slowly, AND four abreast so that I can't get past?
People are stupid -- I don't really care. That's okay. But do they have to be stupid, AND then perform critical tasks that demand intelligence, such as creating laws in our nation's capital, or writing computer programs on whose security my money depends?
People have children -- Okay, now I start to get annoyed. Come on, people, we have a population problem. Couldn't you stop at one or two? Especially because 50% of you are below average in intelligence, and our species could use some evolution.
People build nuclear weapons -- This is what I really hate. Especially considering that people are stupid. I mean, sure, we haven't used nuclear weapons since WWII. But have you ever considered that the entire philosophy of MAD rests upon the idea that people are intelligent? This hypothesis (and it was a very tenuous hypothesis in the first place) was refuted above.

Hermitude is obviously the only answer.

This post has been brought to you by the Quantum Random Post Generator. Random seed was: 0x8A7511DD

tylerwylie
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 am UTC
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby tylerwylie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Goblin, I agree. The average person is an idiot. It really makes me worry about the future. I won't say I hate them, but I'm certainly not fond of them.

Can anyone who's been both inside and outside North America tell me whether other countries have about the same level of stupidity? Are there more/less idiots and are people more/less intelligent on average?

Mind you, you do have to consider that everyone does something stupid once in a while, so don't be too quick to judge.

What really makes me wonder is education. Maybe the school systems here (both Alberta and Ontario) just really suck, but so many people don't know so many things that are taught in high/grade school. Algebra is grade 10 here, but show a random person a simple trinomial and they'll be completely clueless. I doubt many would even know what a trinomial is. Don't even get me started on spelling and grammar. I see so many misused apostrophes it makes me want to cry. How are people graduating and getting jobs without knowing these things?

It also bugs me how inefficient most people are. I don't hate them for it or consider it dumb (although wasting electricity, failing to recycle, etc pisses me off; stop killing the planet plz), but I can't help but wonder how people are so content with it. I guess they just don't realize they could be doing things more efficiently, or don't know how/care enough to optimize what they're doing.

Wow...just wow...

*Edit* Seriously I hope I'm just not seeing sarcasm tags, or else life will be a fun, long journey for you my friend. Can't wait for you to meet it.


ascendingPig wrote:I love people.

I love it when they walk too slow, taking the time to enjoy life instead of always rushing to some destination.

I love it when they talk to loud, adding to the buzz and music of a public space and creating a sort of hum composed of people telling private secrets loud enough for everyone to hear.

I love it when they don't try to control their children, letting tiny replicas of humans run amok in the streets and grow like they ought to, without a cage, and develop into even more lovely people.

People are the best. They're so much nicer than we give them credit for. I love talking to random people. Even stupid people are often really friendly and open if you're not a pretentious jerk to them.

Whew! Thanks for saying what needed to be said.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

peter
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby peter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Which has lead to my latest theory about planes:

First class seats are always at the front of the plane because businessmen need to get to places one second sooner than everyone else. Their time is that precious.

Or, you know, the seats are nicer, the food is better, and there are no crying children around.

I really hope you wrote that statement in jest.

tylerwylie
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 am UTC
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby tylerwylie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

peter wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:Which has lead to my latest theory about planes:

First class seats are always at the front of the plane because businessmen need to get to places one second sooner than everyone else. Their time is that precious.

Or, you know, the seats are nicer, the food is better, and there are no crying children around.

I really hope you wrote that statement in jest.

This elitism vs the elite is quite hilarious. I never thought people were so bitter.

*Edit*

I've actually been on first class because Delta's flights from Bloomington IL were canceled and I had to drive to St. Louis to get a flight to Atlanta, must say the free beer + lack of screaming kids was worth the 2.5 hour drive on no sleep from Bloomington IL to St. Louis.

This thread is actually quite hilarious. I'm trying my hardest not to judge people.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Zohar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

peter wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:Which has lead to my latest theory about planes:

First class seats are always at the front of the plane because businessmen need to get to places one second sooner than everyone else. Their time is that precious.

Or, you know, the seats are nicer, the food is better, and there are no crying children around.

I really hope you wrote that statement in jest.


His comment wasn't about what's going on in first class, it was about why it's always in the front and not, for example, in the back of the plane.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

recurve boy
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:48 am UTC
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby recurve boy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I love it when they don't try to control their children, letting tiny replicas of humans run amok in the streets and grow like they ought to, without a cage, and develop into even more lovely people.


Eek. Usually, I find that kids who are running amok, are doing so because they have shit house parents. Not exerting some control over your kids probably just leads to dead kids or people who grow up to be assholes. Look after your kids please!

I do generally like kids.

User avatar
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC
Location: it's turtles all the way down, even in the suburbs
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I hate people who at 6 pm are drunk, on the train, falling over and insulting other people's clothing.
One girl sporting the fuzzy boots and a jean mini sitting on her ass (and showing it to us) because he other drunk friends cannot get her to stop. Other other girl in their group (same exact style -boots min thing) is being felt up by 2 of the guys in the group, making me feel more and more uncomfortable since we are on the train... And the 3rd guy who is not feeling anyone up instead needs to be yelling (or speaking in his outside drunky voice) about how some other kid on the train has a crappy home made looking Red Sox shirt on and is obviously a fair weather fan. Then the same guy gets real beat up when some girl tells him he has way too much gell in his hair (cause he does) and he starts saying things like I would never insult how someone looks but you look like you just got out of a sewer.
Oh, and they kept chanting "lets go Bruins" clap clap clap when I am trapped in a green line train with them under ground.

I finally stopped complaining to who I was with and told them to shut up because I was tired of listening to their crap. At this point the girl being felt up (who had been trying to get gel boy to stop yelling at the girl pointing out he looks silly) was the only one who heard me and used my comment to try to stop them some more.

Then I got off the train. I need to learn to get off the train sooner or complain to the driver about them (actually breaking laws: public drunkenness, disturbing the peace, etc.)

This is why I am not armed or ever carrying projectiles. I would have hurt them everything they made another noise int he style of "say one more thing and I'll kill you". One fucking whimper and I would have put another BB in their ass. Okay, I would not but I would want to.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

The last post and the first post are going to tie in here:

The OP seems to think people are stupid, and the previous poster is confronted with likely stupid, at least loud people.

In such an instance as being surrounded by loud obnoxious individuals, the real response is to insult them BACK, but do it in a means that is not to the effect of "Being drunk makes you a loser! Go obey the law!"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Torvaun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

I'd prefer using the shotgun retort.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Considering I sincerely doubt you've ever shotgunned someone for being drunk on public transit, and I (and many others) have successfully insulted, tongue lashed, and otherwise ridiculed idiots, I'm going to say you don't actually prefer the shotgun retort.

What's with this string of violently inclined responses to humanity? Do you HONESTLY want to pour battery acid on the hobo asking you for change, or hit the jock at your highschool with a mack truck? Does the pretty girl who's flirting with people when YOU can't, bother you so much that you think of ways to murder her?

Look, violence is great and wonderful and LOADS of fun, but when I read people brooding on the internet how they want wish (something horrid) would happen to (someone they wish they could be/someone they can't deal with), I just feel sorry for the posters, and worry a little bit tat they're going to do something pretty heinous, putting them in the category of people who we as a collective humanity SHOULD in fact hate.

And yes, I am capable of reading sarcasm.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Torvaun » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Considering I sincerely doubt you've ever shotgunned someone for being drunk on public transit, and I (and many others) have successfully insulted, tongue lashed, and otherwise ridiculed idiots, I'm going to say you don't actually prefer the shotgun retort.

What's with this string of violently inclined responses to humanity? Do you HONESTLY want to pour battery acid on the hobo asking you for change, or hit the jock at your highschool with a mack truck? Does the pretty girl who's flirting with people when YOU can't, bother you so much that you think of ways to murder her?

Look, violence is great and wonderful and LOADS of fun, but when I read people brooding on the internet how they want wish (something horrid) would happen to (someone they wish they could be/someone they can't deal with), I just feel sorry for the posters, and worry a little bit tat they're going to do something pretty heinous, putting them in the category of people who we as a collective humanity SHOULD in fact hate.

And yes, I am capable of reading sarcasm.

Nope, we've got crappy public transit here that I've used once, and I was sans shotgun at the time. I'm actually sans shotgun pretty much all the time.

Now, the hobo asking me for change doesn't bother me. When I was in high school, I took my revenge on the jock by anonymously calling the cops on him for weapons in the school. Turned out he had drugs instead. My bad. And yeah, I had various murder fantasies throughout school. Again, laws prevented anything from happening, but it's not difficult for me to understand exactly how Columbine would have happened.

Just out of curiosity, is collective humanity supposed to hate us now, or wait until after we do something heinous? If they're supposed to wait, you should probably tell them that they're not doing a very good job of it, and that they're increasing the odds of heinous things happening, especially to them.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Ok, end of argument.... All people are dumb. Live with it. The ones that draw my ire are vocal and/or stationary ones.

EDIT: Like myself, vocal, but not stationary.
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
ascendingPig
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:14 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ascendingPig » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:31 am UTC

The thing about 80% of college students being sure that they are above average intelligence is just another example of why I don't like people -- and of the stupidity of people. (First of all, let's get something straight -- I am among the 30+ percent of those students who are correct in their judgment, so I have the right to make the these statements.)


Wow, I think I really dislike you. I like almost anyone who's not a pretentious jackass, but you challenge my warmth toward humanity.

People are stupid -- I don't really care. That's okay. But do they have to be stupid, AND then perform critical tasks that demand intelligence, such as creating laws in our nation's capital, or writing computer programs on whose security my money depends?


So you make the laws/write the programs/whatever! You think you can do better? People who program do it because they're interested in programming, and that's much more valuable when programming than being generally intelligent. Don't you have any positive passions in life? Or do you prefer to live in bitter solitude, cutting yourself off from knowledge, because guess where it comes from? Oh, yeah -- people.

I'm sure every time Windows crashes, you blame the programmer, but I promise you it's just not possible to create a complex program that has no bugs.

People have children -- Okay, now I start to get annoyed. Come on, people, we have a population problem. Couldn't you stop at one or two? Especially because 50% of you are below average in intelligence, and our species could use some evolution.

First, wouldn't it therefore be the responsibility of the more intelligent people to reproduce -- as much as possible? That is, if you really think your eugenic argument means people shouldn't have kids.

Also, overpopulation is bullshit. How many people are in the world? Less than 7 billion, right? Do you know how big the state of Texas is?

Just about 170,756,480 acres. You can fit a whole lot of people in Texas alone. And the world, believe it or not, is ever bigger than Texas.

If land isn't the problem, is it resources? There's more than enough land for food for everyone, especially if people eat a bit less meat. Oil? We're going to hit peak oil pretty soon no matter what, and the best way to fix things is to have MORE kids -- thus increasing the likelihood of SOMEONE fixing our problems.

People build nuclear weapons -- This is what I really hate. Especially considering that people are stupid. I mean, sure, we haven't used nuclear weapons since WWII. But have you ever considered that the entire philosophy of MAD rests upon the idea that people are intelligent? This hypothesis (and it was a very tenuous hypothesis in the first place) was refuted above.


No, it wasn't. In fact, based on the fact that, well, we really HAVEN'T used them since WWII, and we sure could have, it looks like the principals of MAD are sound. In fact, it's such a simple system that you really don't need smart people -- just sane people who don't want the world to end. That's all you have to worry about. People who are hungry for apocalypse.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Ascendingpig: Way to assault previous comments and not offer a new idea. Go team!

Edit: You offer nothing, you fail.
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:53 am UTC
Location: the other side of the other river

Re: God I hate people....

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I hate people who at 6 pm are drunk, on the train, falling over and insulting other people's clothing.


One of my biggest concerns about moving to the Boston area is that I'm going to end up flipping out at obnoxious college kids.

I genuinely like people. But I like dealing with people in small, sane, semi-predictable environments. Throw some drunken jerks on a train where they're so drunk they don't know/don't care that they're being complete assholes, and Oh me yarm STFU DIE.

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ++$_ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 am UTC

ascendingPig wrote:
The thing about 80% of college students being sure that they are above average intelligence is just another example of why I don't like people -- and of the stupidity of people. (First of all, let's get something straight -- I am among the 30+ percent of those students who are correct in their judgment, so I have the right to make the these statements.)


Wow, I think I really dislike you. I like almost anyone who's not a pretentious jackass, but you challenge my warmth toward humanity.
Wait. Are you saying I'm not a pretentious jackass? I'm offended :) Seriously, I am a pretentious jackass. Except I would prefer to omit the word "pretentious," because just "jackass" works fine.

To be honest, that statement was about 50% tongue-in-cheek, and I would have expected you to notice that. By the way, I'm also not affected by television or radio advertisements, I can't be influenced by subliminal messages, and my view of the world is guaranteed to be Correct, even though I'm basing it on exactly the same evidence that everyone else is, and yet theirs is so completely Wrong. [/sarcasm] <--- to be on the safe side

To respond briefly to your other points:

1. I sure as hell could make better laws/tax codes/war plans then the buffoons who are doing it now. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do so. Realistically, the problem is that when you put 500 people together (in Congress, for example) and tell them to make something, it comes out badly no matter how smart the people are, because there are too many of them.
2. People who do programming sometimes do it because they enjoy it, and they tend to be good at it. Others do it because they can make money that way, and they tend not to be so good.
3. Wikipedia (yes, so reliable, I know) says there are 12 million square miles of arable land. That sounds like a lot, but it leaves 500 people per square mile (at 6 billion population), or 1 per 1.25 acres (roughly). Now, at the moment that's enough to feed the world. But the population will keep growing as long as there's food available (unless people decide to stop increasing the population, and work to keep it static), and eventually expand to the point where all arable land is being used. This is not a comfortable place to be. For one thing, it means that every bit of suitable land would be used for agriculture -- no room for all the nice animals that live in grassland ecosystems. Second, it means that people would starve to death in massive numbers at every fluctuation of the food supply.
3.5. Ironic, isn't it, that I use Wikipedia when I dislike people so much?
4. What you call the "eugenic argument" was (I hoped) obviously sarcasm.
5. MAD doesn't work if you're a terrorist, because you'll be dead anyway when you set off the bomb, and the target doesn't really have anyone to react against. Alternatively, the target could react against the country you come from, thereby starting a nuclear war.
MAD doesn't work if you're the United States, when you're building up a missile defense system that you fervently believe will work so that you can nuke others without getting nuked back. (This is really what I meant by "stupidity" -- thinking that "it's okay, because we've got a missile defense system." Or building the missile defense system in the first place.)
MAD doesn't work if your nation feels like it's going to be destroyed if it doesn't act. (Israel, anyone?)
MAD doesn't work if you're Saddam Hussein v2.0 and you know you'll get hanged anyway. (You do actually have to HAVE the weapons, though.)

EDIT:
goblin_subway wrote:Ascendingpig: Way to assault previous comments and not offer a new idea. Go team!
Actually, it was just my comments.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:50 am UTC

++$_ wrote:1. I sure as hell could make better laws/tax codes/war plans then the buffoons who are doing it now.


My argument is ineffective, I admit, but I'm going to say, No. You couldn't.

++$_ wrote:2. People who do programming sometimes do it because they enjoy it, and they tend to be good at it. Others do it because they can make money that way, and they tend not to be so good.


The world is not populated by geniuses who simply can't be bothered to make money by working. YOU are not a genius who is simply unmotivated to make money.

++$_ wrote:MAD doesn't work if your nation feels like it's going to be destroyed if it doesn't act. (Israel, anyone?)


I feel you should try reading a news source. Israel isn't the one suicide bombing. /off topic


It's amazing at how defensive people are getting in the face of being lumped with the average.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ++$_ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
++$_ wrote:2. People who do programming sometimes do it because they enjoy it, and they tend to be good at it. Others do it because they can make money that way, and they tend not to be so good.


The world is not populated by geniuses who simply can't be bothered to make money by working. YOU are not a genius who is simply unmotivated to make money.
I think you're misunderstanding my argument. I'm not asserting that wanting money and enjoying doing your job are mutually exclusive.

++$_ wrote:MAD doesn't work if your nation feels like it's going to be destroyed if it doesn't act. (Israel, anyone?)


I feel you should try reading a news source. Israel isn't the one suicide bombing. /off topic
And that's because they (fortunately) have taken the intelligent route. So far.
It's amazing at how defensive people are getting in the face of being lumped with the average.
It's amazing at how aggressive people are getting in dealing with people who think they're above average. (Tip: You are above average too. Modesty is a good thing, but don't lie to yourself. I know just about where I am on the spectrum of <various things>, and I expect that you know where you are, too. That's a lot better than saying "Gee, because 50% of people are below average, I have a 50% chance to be below average. I'd better go get my dunce cap, just in case I turn out to be in the bottom 10%.")

And oh, what the heck...
++$_ wrote:1. I sure as hell could make better laws/tax codes/war plans then the buffoons who are doing it now.


My argument is ineffective, I admit, but I'm going to say, No. You couldn't.
My argument is ineffective as well, but I'm going to say, Yes. I could. (As I said above, you could too, and so could 90+% of the people on these fora.) There are also people out there who could do a better job than I could; their chances of actually being elected to do so are near zero, even assuming they'd decide to run for office in the first place.

EDIT: I probably just killed this thread. I guess people weren't expecting any ACTUAL misanthropes to show up. Sorry about that. I apologize.

User avatar
ascendingPig
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:14 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ascendingPig » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 am UTC

++$_ wrote:
To be honest, that statement was about 50% tongue-in-cheek, and I would have expected you to notice that.


Sorry I misinterpreted it. It's hard to convey tone by text, and that comment didn't read as remotely tongue-in-cheek. :P

1. I sure as hell could make better laws/tax codes/war plans then the buffoons who are doing it now. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do so. Realistically, the problem is that when you put 500 people together (in Congress, for example) and tell them to make something, it comes out badly no matter how smart the people are, because there are too many of them.


Fair enough. And I suppose if when you accuse people of being stupid, you could be speaking of the stupidity of a mob, as opposed to the stupidity of individuals, which I believe intelligent folk who spend all their time on fora instead of going outside think is more prevalent than it is in reality. But it's not the individuals making bad decisions. It's an imprecise beaurocracy. People (individuals) are quite intelligent, even congressmen.

2. People who do programming sometimes do it because they enjoy it, and they tend to be good at it. Others do it because they can make money that way, and they tend not to be so good.

Poor coders tend not to get hired by major corporations. And few people are willing to spend most of their adult lives locked in a cubicle doing something that bores them completely so they can accumulate money. And someone who is capable of coding without any interest in it is probably pretty smart, since their attention spans are so challenged.
3. Wikipedia (yes, so reliable, I know) says there are 12 million square miles of arable land. That sounds like a lot, but it leaves 500 people per square mile (at 6 billion population), or 1 per 1.25 acres (roughly). Now, at the moment that's enough to feed the world. But the population will keep growing as long as there's food available (unless people decide to stop increasing the population, and work to keep it static), and eventually expand to the point where all arable land is being used. This is not a comfortable place to be. For one thing, it means that every bit of suitable land would be used for agriculture -- no room for all the nice animals that live in grassland ecosystems. Second, it means that people would starve to death in massive numbers at every fluctuation of the food supply.


You're talking a distant-future hypothetical, considering that currently the population of the Earth could be fit comfortably into Texas. If you think one person (not one household -- one individual) per 1.25 acres is cramped, you've never been to NYC, and people are quite cozy around here.

And considering most developed countries have shrinking birth rates, we're looking at a pretty meager growth rate compared to previous generations.

4. What you call the "eugenic argument" was (I hoped) obviously sarcasm.


Sorry about that. I was trying to understand what your argument was, and you appeared to be saying that 50% of those born will be below average, and that this is a Bad Thing because "we need more evolution."

Which, now that I come to think of it, doesn't present a eugenic argument. Even eugenic arguments are generally solvent. I don't even know what you were trying to say at all.

5. MAD doesn't work if you're a terrorist, because you'll be dead anyway when you set off the bomb, and the target doesn't really have anyone to react against. Alternatively, the target could react against the country you come from, thereby starting a nuclear war.
MAD doesn't work if you're the United States, when you're building up a missile defense system that you fervently believe will work so that you can nuke others without getting nuked back. (This is really what I meant by "stupidity" -- thinking that "it's okay, because we've got a missile defense system." Or building the missile defense system in the first place.)
MAD doesn't work if your nation feels like it's going to be destroyed if it doesn't act. (Israel, anyone?)
MAD doesn't work if you're Saddam Hussein v2.0 and you know you'll get hanged anyway. (You do actually have to HAVE the weapons, though.)

First, terrorists without a national-scale budget can't really afford nukes. Ones with a national-scale budget have nations to get it from. Those nations will be the ones getting into the war. By the same token, lone nuts can't afford nukes and we needn't worry about them.

Even the US isn't stupid enough to assume their missile defense system keeps them totally safe. The global reaction against bombing a country prominent enough to be in the nuke club would probably destroy the US politically at the very least. Additionally, current nuke defense systems either don't work or barely work, and can't be relied on completely. Plus, we've got plenty of allies to work as a proxy -- England or Canada, or even our commonwealths.

Finally, the guy who's about to die even if he doesn't set off the nukes would need to be totally willing to destroy the world himself. Then he'd have to be able to launch the missiles without anyone else's help, since not EVERYONE is about to die. And if you still have control of your nukes, chances are you're not a captive, and thus not about to be hanged -- this would apply more to leaders who just found out they have terminal lung cancer, and people will be watching out for their unstable little brains.

PS. Sorry I'm being to hostile. I hate people who hate people.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

User avatar
Woxor
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Woxor » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 am UTC

I'm not exactly sure that I hate people who use "to" when they mean "too" (or possibly "so"), but it does look pretty silly. I just noticed it several times while scanning the thread.

User avatar
Nomic
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:29 pm UTC
Location: Gibbering in the corner

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Nomic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 am UTC

I'm a misanthrope and don't even attempt to hide it. I feel very uncomfortable when strangers sit next to me in a bus, altho they would feel far more uncomfortable if I would sit on an empty spot next to them. Yet I don't really hate people. I just ignore them. If they're being nice to me, I'll be nice to them, even if just to give the niceness back cause I don't need it myself. But the thruth is that most pople are, if no stupid, misinformed, and the majority seems to nearly always make the wrong choise.

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby ++$_ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 am UTC

ascendingPig wrote:PS. Sorry I'm being to hostile. I hate people who hate people.
It's fine, I really don't mind.

Just to clarify -- when I say that I don't like people, that doesn't mean I want to hurt people or anything. In case anyone was backing away slowly.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

To everyone who considers themselves misanthropic, I question what your doing on a fora discussing humanity.

Narcissisticly brain vomiting your sentiments because you strive to share?

If your so misanthropic, get back to work, you've got some obscure home project to solve and attempt to patent and never make a penny and continue your bitter, meager existence until some kid wanders over your lawn and your so crotchity you throw something at them and then get shipped to a ward. Go on, git!

This 'I'm so angsty and bitter and deeper then the rest of you nobs' is such an obnoxious sentiment I'm tired of seeing places. People who choose not to share with humanity are the ones missing out, not humanity.

I got over it, other people can too.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby wst » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:To everyone who considers themselves misanthropic, I question what your doing on a fora discussing humanity.

It's the fact that on the internet you're almost anonymous. You aren't forced into making small talk, you can do so of your own volition, without looking standoffish.

I'm a misanthrope, but only to my age-group/peers. I manage fine with people as intelligent as or more intelligent than me, as I don't have to slow myself down for them. So this forum is pretty good for my mind, although I could live without it, it's beneficial to me to stay as I learn so much more, despite having to do 'social'.

I get ignored anyway :lol:
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

If your unconcerned with people, and are only here for selfish reasons, why are you concerned with how many times you've been sigged?

\its part of your sig.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby wst » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If your unconcerned with people, and are only here for selfish reasons, why are you concerned with how many times you've been sigged?

\its part of your sig.

Is it selfish to want to learn stuff which may result in improvements in the world in 5, 10, 20 years time? Anyway, if I was here for selfish reasons, a sig counter is kinda.. well, selfish. >_>
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Wst:It's raining here, how is the weather where you are?
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
krikitarmy
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby krikitarmy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 am UTC

{redacted}
Last edited by krikitarmy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Ok, what to do....

krikitarmy:
You miss the point. I have issues with people that get in my way for no good reason.

EDIT: Read the previous posts.... learn. You comment on things that you have not reviewed.
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:35 am UTC

goblin_subway wrote:Ok, what to do....

krikitarmy:
You miss the point. I have issues with people that get in my way for no good reason.

EDIT: Read the previous posts.... learn. You comment on things that you have not reviewed.



Uuuh, thinking that someone is wrong and wanting to correct them is a pretty damn good reason.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
goblin_subway
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: God I hate people....

Postby goblin_subway » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 am UTC

I'm people, I'm worth hating.
I am Jack's overused quote.
...
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Torvaun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 am UTC

krikitarmy wrote:I wasn't going to say this for fear of being too hostile in a new place, but thank you for this. I couldn't agree more. At best these are immature, false displays of bravado. At worst, they are mentally unstable people that should be locked away where they can't hurt anyone.

Probably. Should we be locked away before we hurt someone, or after? Given my history of not hurting someone, are you prepared to lock me away just because I'm in a high risk category?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
krikitarmy
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Re: God I hate people....

Postby krikitarmy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:01 am UTC

{redacted}
Last edited by krikitarmy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Mo0man » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:40 am UTC

krikitarmy wrote:I have no way of knowing if you're putting up a false front or if you would actually put serious consideration into killing these people. If you really do want these people dead and think you might go through with it, you need mental help. You are a threat to society. That said, I'm willing to bet you, specifically, are not a real threat to society and are simply saying hyperboles that you don't actually mean. Like I said, it's not for me to say. I don't know anything about you other than what can be gleaned from a few comments I've read by you. I have no way of knowing if what you've said is what you really think. But I hope that you can understand that people who shoot others just for being "stupid" aren't accepted by society.

It's the way we are, in general. Hyperbole, wildly veering into fantasy, raptor rampages, zombie apocalypses and sarcastic violence are all par for the course here at the XKCD fora. Or at least, that's the way I see it. I've also been known to be completely off base in my observations.
Also, willkommen
Also, interesting to note that winsomeness is in the firefox spelling dictionary, while firefox ain't. Isn't that awesome?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: God I hate people....

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:43 am UTC

Stephen King has some great input on people

On the whole, I don't think you can pick these guys out based on their work, unless you look for violence unenlivened by any real talent.


Haha, i thought of the internet when I read this.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zyresaTes and 18 guests