What is your favourite book?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Re: What is your favourite book?

Postby maninblack » Wed May 07, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Favorite books well they aren't even really books so much as series, but I love The Dark Tower by King and The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.

Beyond that I'm not really sure there's anything worth reading.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

> Beyond that I'm not really sure there's anything worth reading.
There is.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 am UTC

dbsmith wrote:> Beyond that I'm not really sure there's anything worth reading.
There is.
As to what they are, that's left as an exercise to the...
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am UTC

My favorite book is probably 1984. I dunno, it was good. Wasn't expecting the ending, really. Actually I was at first, then was all like, "nah."

a toddler

Postby a toddler » Fri May 09, 2008 10:06 am UTC

3 favourite book so far:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
i picked this book up because my brother was made to read it for school. i opened it to halfway and didnt put it down until i was finished. it was crazy-good.

World War Z by Maz Brooks
c'mon, dont tell me you've never read a zombie book and didn't enjoy it :D one of the best.

Ice Station by Matthew Reilly
as shooty books go, this was one hell of a shooty book. guns, non-stop action, evil French people - this book had it all.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

I can't really choose a favourite book, so instead, here are three favourite series/collections:

Isaac Asimov. Everything. Just everything!
The Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett.
Hitchhiker's Guide series.

Osirius

Postby Osirius » Sun May 11, 2008 4:27 am UTC

I'm re-reading Heart of Darkness-Joseph Conrad-
Probably the hardest book I've ever read. The language is just so much richer,IMO, than anything written these days. And I am quite fast when it comes to reading.

Grendel, currently, in my English AP class. Really well written, and I love the character of the dragon.

The Hobbit is probably a sentimental favorite. My father introduced me to it when I was 9, as it was one of the few books he made himself sit down and read. Reading was always difficult for him, so if he could sit through it, it must be good.

Eric Nylund's work on the Halo series is quite good too.

Brave New World-Aldous Huxley- always sucked me in. Wonderful writing ,IMO, though my English teacher disagrees. :D

David B. Coe always had a way of wrapping me around his characters.

And though I have only read Ringworld, Larry Niven can pull you in quite quickly.

eHalcyon

Postby eHalcyon » Wed May 14, 2008 2:29 am UTC

I have many favourite books. My favourite genre is Fantasy, though not so much Sci-Fi. It makes it all the stranger that four of my favourites are the books of the Otherland series by Tad Williams. It really worked for me because, although it is Sci-Fi, it actually encompasses a whole host of other genres. It's sci-fi, fantasy, suspense, drama, mystery, action, adventure, mythology, folklore, fairy tale, conspiracy and even romance, to a certain extent.

Other favourite books include any of the King's Blades novels by Dave Duncan. There are some very interesting concepts in those novels. For example, in the "Tales of the King's Blades" trilogy, the first two novels have conflicting endings. Extremely conflicting. The third book explains it.

Of course, I have to mention the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment.

I'll also throw in The Earthsea Cycle (Ursual K. Le Guin), the Dragon Throne trilogy (Alison Baird) and the Belgariad (David Eddings), although the banter in the latter series gets repetitive and tiring.

And just to show that I don't just read fantasy (though that's mostly what I read), another favourite is the Count of Monte Cristo by the incomparable Alexandre Dumas.

Mr wimmer

Postby Mr wimmer » Wed May 14, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

the house of god
hitchhikers series
and (currently reading) dune

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri May 23, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Earth Abides.

It is a book about what happens after 99% of the population dies of plague. And how earth goes on regardless. And a good description of normal people trying to live normal lives, even in the face of the complete destruction of the society they knew.

Sabine

Postby Sabine » Sat May 24, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Kushiel's Dart... I've read and reread this whole series, but it's stunning world-building and damn fun to return to even if you know the ending already, and the sex is not just there for sex (*cough*Merry Gentry*cough*) it actually is there to further the plot. I'm versed in Issac Asimov and Frank Herbert and Tolkien, but I return to Jaqueline Carey far more often.

Momo by Michael Ende ... hard to get a hold of, but well worth it. I'd honestly never heard of it before I watched My Lovely Sam-Soon and found someone selling on Ebay one of the out of print english editions. The story is more mature than The Never Ending Story and the message is something to think about.

I love George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire... but I'd love it more if he got his books out faster, I've waited so long for this last one I've given up, and that's really diminished my love for the series.

Maventree

Postby Maventree » Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton (and sequels) is probably the best book I've ever read. World War Z is a close second, and Ender's Game comes in at third (but not the sequels... how sad).

beastie

Postby beastie » Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

My favourite would probably have to be Nick Hornby's 'How to be Good' and second Vladimir Nabokov's 'Ada or Ardor'

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Ok, it's unoriginal, but my favorite is also Ender's Game.

I really like Jordan's the Wheel of Time series, even if there are valid complaints about it(length, drags, etc.). I like to flip to certain parts and reread them. They are the only series I have enjoyed that much.

The most well written book I have ever read? Nabokov's Lolita. If it wasn't for the subject matter, it would be a manual on how to write.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:14 am UTC

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 am UTC

A Scanner Darkly or Perelandra

I like journeys into the mind and visual adventures of the textual format.

Of course, nothing can truly beat the idea of a bunch of magically inclined thieves going off the rob a dragon! ...in Middle Earth!
The Hobbit, or There And Back Again (if you like), is definitely up there too.
Last edited by GyRo567 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Against the Day and Gravity's Rainbow are now both on my favourites list. Seriously, the range over which Pynchon writes, you read the equivalent of a half-dozen different authors/books in each one. And then add in the interlinking.
Many of the characters are also entirely unlike any others that I have read of in other books.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:27 am UTC

maninblack wrote:Beyond that I'm not really sure there's anything worth reading.
Infinite Jest is good. Go read that.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:31 am UTC

While I have many favorites, the one the comes to mind is Integral Trees by Larry Niven. The premise is very interesting.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Yrael

Postby Yrael » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Oooof HARD

Um
1984 is definitely my FAVORITE I have read it atleast a dozen times, it's the perfect book for any essay topic, it's just SO good. Eric Arthur Blair(George Orwell) is indeed a great writer. Animal Farm was very good too, and I've read some of his political essays, but considering a lot of them are longer then the books lol I might hold off on finishing that.

I can't lie I do love fiction, so I'd have to say Eragon and Eldest, though the movie SUCKED and I considered cutting my self because of the shit they called Eragon the movie.

The Pendragon series is very good, though I haven't read the newer ones I haven't had the time to pick them up.

C.S. Lewis isn't bad too.

But I think I'm going to have to say that Garth Nix is my favorite fiction writer. The Abhorsen series was fantastic.

I love the Hitch Hicker books too.

The most entertaining book I've read in a while has been The Zombie Survival Guide...if Zombie's attack....find me I know what to do!

I also like some of the classical writers/poets. Poe, Dickens, and so forth.

Luandy Dandy

Postby Luandy Dandy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

Yrael wrote:Oooof HARD

Um
1984 is definitely my FAVORITE I have read it atleast a dozen times, it's the perfect book for any essay topic, it's just SO good. Eric Arthur Blair(George Orwell) is indeed a great writer. Animal Farm was very good too, and I've read some of his political essays, but considering a lot of them are longer then the books lol I might hold off on finishing that.

I can't lie I do love fiction, so I'd have to say Eragon and Eldest, though the movie SUCKED and I considered cutting my self because of the shit they called Eragon the movie.

The Pendragon series is very good, though I haven't read the newer ones I haven't had the time to pick them up.

C.S. Lewis isn't bad too.

But I think I'm going to have to say that Garth Nix is my favorite fiction writer. The Abhorsen series was fantastic.

I love the Hitch Hicker books too.

The most entertaining book I've read in a while has been The Zombie Survival Guide...if Zombie's attack....find me I know what to do!

I also like some of the classical writers/poets. Poe, Dickens, and so forth.

I honestly love the Abhorsen series. One of the few series that I enjoy just as much now as when I read them years ago. I'm really looking forward to the next one (:
The Zombie Survival Guide is just a quick grab away from my bed, you know...just in case.

But my favorite book would have to be The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I cannot express how beautiful this book is.

Hrumm, Equus - Peter Shaffer, though technically a play, is my newest addition to my favorites list. I was stunned by how moving it was. A must read.

Any Paulo Coelho book is good too, The Alchemist and By The River Piedra, I Sat Down & Wept are at the top of the list.

Screwjack

Postby Screwjack » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Catch - 22 Took me three years to finish it. Started when I was in grade 10, didn't finish it until the summer after I graduated. Basically turned me into the cynical, sarcastic realist I am these days.

I love that book, none of Heller's other works really stand up, though Closing Time was a decent followup to C-22
Have you ever had breakfast with a Geologist?
It's pretty great.

Primadonna

Postby Primadonna » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Screwjack wrote:Catch - 22 Took me three years to finish it. Started when I was in grade 10, didn't finish it until the summer after I graduated. Basically turned me into the cynical, sarcastic realist I am these days.

I love that book, none of Heller's other works really stand up, though Closing Time was a decent followup to C-22

I agree, however. the book is hard to read due to his writing style. I did not finish the book, but maybe I will return to it later on.

As for me, I am a chick-lit girl, but I enjoy a lot of variety as well
I just finished: WE by Evgeny Zamyatin, and loved it, though I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi. It is somewhat similar to Brabury's Fahrenheit 452 + Orwell's 1984, as well as Brave New World by Huxley.

My favorite (male) writer is Mitch Albom (Tuesday's with Morrie, A day in life, Bo, Five People You Meet in Heaven)
My favorite (female) writer in Sophie Kinsella (The Undomestic Goddess, Can You Keep a Secret?, Shopaholic...)
I do not have a favorite book, it's very hard to choose, since I read a variety of them.

[Yes. I could not put Harry Potter away when I was 12... that's old school]

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Ubik by Philip K. Dick. I've only just started reading his works, but this is my most favorite so far.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
хлэб и Воля

HtwoOhBaby

Postby HtwoOhBaby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:35 am UTC

A book thread is as good a place as any for this noob to wander in and say, "Hello happy people, pleased to meet you all."

On topic...

Modern(ish):

Anything by Pat Barker, but especially the 'Regeneration' trilogy.
Kleinzeit, Russell Hoban.
Wonder Boys, Michael Chabon.
The Planets, James Finney Boylan. (Now Jennifer.) Not only hilarious and eccentric, but features a bunny hurtling through space on the cover and how could anyone resist a hurtling bunny?
The French Mathematician, Tom Petsinis.
Helen Garner and the Meaning of Everything, Alex Jones.
The Catastrophist, Ronan Bennett. (A 'companion piece' to Graham Greene's The End of the Affair.)
The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro.
The Bone People, Keri Hulme.
Perfume, Patrick Suskind.

'Classics':

Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov. (For the sheer brilliance of its opening paragraph. Ah.. and the fact the rest of the book rocks too.)
The Plague, Albert Camus.
The Trial, Franz Kafka.
Steppenwolf, Herman Hesse.
Animal Farm, George Orwell. (I would have said 1984 but you all got there first.)
Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen. (Shut up, I'm a girl.)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll.

Graphic Novels:

Palestine, Joe Sacco
Maus, Art Spiegelman

Non-fiction:

Chaos, James Gleick, because it sent this humanities girl on a fifteen-year journey into the wonderful world of science.
Anyting by Gitta Sereny, but especially Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth.

As a kid:

Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
The Wizard of Oz, L Frank Baum

Excuse the long post. I'm fairly sure it's broken a golden rule about virgin posters keeping their posts short, but it's books dammit and you must believe me, I left so many out!
Humpty was pushed.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:22 am UTC

my favourite book ever is 'The Chrysalids' by John Wyndham :)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Screwjack

Postby Screwjack » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Primadonna wrote:
Screwjack wrote:Catch - 22 Took me three years to finish it. Started when I was in grade 10, didn't finish it until the summer after I graduated. Basically turned me into the cynical, sarcastic realist I am these days.

I agree, however. the book is hard to read due to his writing style. I did not finish the book, but maybe I will return to it later on.

As for me, I am a chick-lit girl, but I enjoy a lot of variety as well
I just finished: WE by Evgeny Zamyatin, and loved it, though I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi. It is somewhat similar to Brabury's Fahrenheit 452 + Orwell's 1984, as well as Brave New World by Huxley.

My favorite (male) writer is Mitch Albom (Tuesday's with Morrie, A day in life, Bo, Five People You Meet in Heaven)
My favorite (female) writer in Sophie Kinsella (The Undomestic Goddess, Can You Keep a Secret?, Shopaholic...)
I do not have a favorite book, it's very hard to choose, since I read a variety of them.

[Yes. I could not put Harry Potter away when I was 12... that's old school]

I started and stopped Catch 22 probably 6 times before burning through it.

it's the first 9 chapters that are a bitch. They're analagous to character intros, and he mentions things that happen later in teh story in greater detail in very vague ways. it's frustrating, but worth it to get past them and into a coherent plotline.
Have you ever had breakfast with a Geologist?
It's pretty great.

golig1

Re:

Postby golig1 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

jfarquhar wrote:- All Matt Reilly books. Sure, he mightn't be able to develop a character but you can't beat the crazy-ass action scenes he can whip up.

Dude. Matt Reilly kicks ass.

Foundation is a good book.

From The Corner Of His Eye by Dean Koontz - read it.

Axis Trilogy / Wayfarer Redemption / Darkglass Mountain by Sara Douglass.

Lots of other stuff.

Can't pick a favourite.

bennyprofane

Postby bennyprofane » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Hm... Tough one for me, since there are SOOOOO many good books out there. Let's see...

The Sea of Fertility series by Yukio Mishima
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Our Town by Thornton Wilder
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

The Sea of Fertility is great, though long, and the ending is one of the most brilliant things ever. Leaves you stunned. Gravity's Rainbow is, if any, my favorite book ever, of all time. Waiting for Godot is my favorite play. Naked Lunch is one of the most amusing things to read imaginable. A Scanner Darkly was my first and still is my favorite PKD book, and is, perhaps, my favorite novel in all SF. The Brothers Karamazov is brilliant, Our Town is beautiful, and Hamlet is so rich it's incomparable. Whitman's poetry reminds me of my dad, so of course it's going to be big on the list as well.
"The single flower contains more brightness than a hundred flowers." - Yasunari Kawabata

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Stephen King- It.

It rocks.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

HtwoOhBaby wrote:Maus, Art Spiegelman

Oooh, Maus is beautiful. (for a given definition of beauty. :? )
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mimi

Postby Mimi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

My favorites are the much-repeated Dune by Frank Herbert, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine, which is a graphic novel, but still.

After reading this thread, I went to my local half price books and purchased Shogun, Gone With the Wind, and Foundation. I can't wait to start!

Floog

Postby Floog » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 am UTC

I have not read as much as I have wanted to and have an enormous stack of books on my to-read list sitting by my bed. It is about 2 feet high.

Ender's Game and series. Orson Scott Card
I downloaded a pirated version of Ender's Game(I am a horrible person I know) and fell in love with it so quick that I went out and bought the entire series. Actually, I think Xenocide is better than Ender's Game.

I, Robot, Isaac Asimov
I picked it up because I liked the movie, and liked it more than the movie. It's a great book in my opinion.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Catch-22, I mean, who doesn't love it. :>

Cryptonomicon, since Stephenson is brilliant and anyone who crams that much crypt and math in a book needs to be adored for all it's worth.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Primadonna

Postby Primadonna » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Mimi wrote:My favorites are the much-repeated Dune by Frank Herbert, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine, which is a graphic novel, but still.

After reading this thread, I went to my local half price books and purchased Shogun, Gone With the Wind, and Foundation. I can't wait to start!

Gone with the wind: EXCELLENT CHOICE!! xD

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Stephen King- It.

It rocks.

Yes! I thought no one else had ever heard of it! The character development was on par with that of many literary novels, and I think it's a greatly underrated book. It's like an epic horror novel, and so long (well of course, it is by King, so that's to be expected).
I compulsively edit posts.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Oh boy...

The Jungle Books. My absolute, hands-down favorite book of all time ever. The stories are great, and more importantly, they're beautifully written; Elegant language but still palatable. The rest in no particular order:
Ender's Game. Duh.
Catch-22. Hilarious with a little side of humanity/absurdity.
The Tao of Pooh & The Te of Piglet. Not novels obviously, but the two books that turned me into a Taoist. Funny, relevant, thought-provoking, all that good stuff.
The Neverending Story. Just a wonderful story, plain and simple, plus older copies of this book come with amazing illustrations at the beginning of the chapters.
The His Dark Materials trilogy. I can't put into words how much I love these books, and how infuriated I was when I saw the trailer for the Golden Compass. The Subtle Knife holds the distinction of being one of the only books that can still make me cry (Lee and Hester).
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:57 am UTC

I'll probably have to go with the first book of The Hitchiker's Guide trilogy (quadrulogy? Quintology? Am I just making up words now?)

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

poleboy wrote:I'll probably have to go with the first book of The Hitchiker's Guide trilogy (quadrulogy? Quintology? Am I just making up words now?)

I thought it was "a trilogy in four parts". ;)
I compulsively edit posts.

Return to “Books”