Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheAmazingRando

Re: Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I saw GT open for Converge. Their music seemed like it would get a bit old on CD (the electronic beats were a lot more memorable than the grindcore parts) but they put on a great live show.

EDIT: And while I'm in this thread, I have to plug Have A Nice Life. Their album is sold out, but you can download it for $5, and it is absolutely worth it. Album of the year, for sure. They're hard to describe, but they're sort of depressing-as-hell shoegaze, with a lot of other stuff thrown in there.

Listen to them on Last.fm, especially the song Bloodhail.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Certainly almost noone outside Australia would know them, and probably few people here, but:

Sleep Parade.

They were fantastic when they opened for Porcupine Tree.

AtomicLlama

Postby AtomicLlama » Wed May 21, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Salt and Samovar. They're hard for me to describe, so just go listen to We Will Break or Swallowed A Pill or Soon To Be The Dust.

Also: Uncle Tupelo. Not remotely a current band (they broke up around 1993), but I don't think that many people have heard of them. If there was any band I could time-travel to see, Uncle Tupelo is it. I did get to see Jeff Tweedy play Screen Door at one of his solo shows a couple years ago though.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Their early stuff is really insane, experimental noise. The last few releases (Cell-scape, Bambi's Dilemma) have more coherent songs, though it's still very far out there.

But they really must be experienced live.

OK, Cell-Scape is pretty great music-wise, but I see that the vocals haven't moved on! Fucking hell, what sort of speed/helium hybrid is (s)he smoking?!

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:OK, Cell-Scape is pretty great music-wise, but I see that the vocals haven't moved on! Fucking hell, what sort of speed/helium hybrid is (s)he smoking?!

Ha. I guess I'm just used to her vocals, they seem fine to me. She has a somewhat deep speaking voice, surprisingly.

kraeman

Postby kraeman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

I'm not sure if these were mentioned
Explosions in the Sky (they are getting bigger)
Fuck Yeah! (sorry for the language)
Vampire Weekend (Before they were on SNL)
LSD and the Search for God (real band, I'm telling you)
Mogwai (at least no one in my area knows them, except Steven)
The Mountain Goats
my friend Catherine is an Alien
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! (maybe you've heard of them)
!!! (that is a band name)
Sequester (Canadian guy who is making all his own metal. He plays ALL the instruments and sings)
Sieges Even (they may be popular in Germany, but not in Canada)
Chicken Feet
Crash 80's (ex local punk band)
Living Martyr (My schools hard metal band)
The Nhilest Spasm Band
Beef (awesome dutch reggae/ska band)
Eluveitie (Maybe yes if you like folk metal) this band is amazing. Myspace[url]
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=55881276[/url]
I recommend Bloodstained Ground as a first listen. If your into metal.

I'm not sure about the "under 10 000 listeners at last fm" thing for these guys. I just find the music.
However I do know that my friend Catherine is an Alien has just over 1 000 only. and Fuck Yeah has 10.

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of these bands, but their decent.
Last edited by kraeman on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Swarrrm

holy shit
holy shit

I was told to not pay attention to their later material, and I was wrong. SO WRONG. Probably tied for best current band in Japan with Syphilitic Vaginas, imo.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

fatherdaly

Postby fatherdaly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

RJD2
Royksopp
Avalanches
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Thievery Corporation
Jazzanova

They're all pretty good

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am UTC

i really want to get into some more less well known bands, the problem is finding them!

at the moment:

M. Craft
Mando Diao
Vampire Weekend (yes, i know, fairly well known, but less well known than some others)
souldelay wrote:I tried it on my campus and totally got busted for "inappropriate use of cookware"

I just want to know how the hell cakewaffles are inappropriate.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:57 am UTC

jagga jazzist?

i just recently found out about them mahself...good stufff indeed.

venetian snares have a lot of material, but no big media coverage as far as I have seen...
To exist is to resist.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

I could write a hilariously long list in answer to this thread, but I suspect that the fewer bands I list, the greater the likelihood will be of someone actually investigating them, right? After all, fewer name = greater quality.

Bearing that in mind, I give you these three names, all unutterably brilliant, and all far less known than they deserve to be:

The Microphones,

The Incredible String Band,

&

Frog Eyes

(P.S. If anyone out there calls themself a fan of rock 'n roll but is yet to discover Old Time Relijun... well... DO IT GODDAMN.)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:Frog Eyes
I just saw Frog Eyes last night in a small audience of about 30 people (a combination of the size of the venue and the fact that they didn't start until almost midnight). I'm not incredibly familiar with their studio work aside from Tears of the Valedictorian, but they're terrific live. Mercer's energy is boundless.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Awesome.

Cheeveer

Postby Cheeveer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I've always wanted to know how well known The Hellacopters are outside of Sweden. They just released their last album and they rock. Pretty much.

Bands that are really unknown though:

Dollhouse: http://www.myspace.com/rockandsoul - Their from my town, oddly enough.
The Morning Benders: http://www.myspace.com/themorningbenders

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

They've got a song in Guitar Hero III. Other than that, I haven't heard of them.

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Yer, I quite like them, however I happened on them totally by accident...
They have a song on guitar hero now? I didnt know that...I thought you had to be increadibly mainstream or really popular to get on that game..
souldelay wrote:I tried it on my campus and totally got busted for "inappropriate use of cookware"

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

I haven't played the first, but the bonus tracks in the second and third game are almost all from lesser-known bands.

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

thats a really good thing IMHO

It gets them a little more coverage, and broadens the minds of those 'I-play-guitar-hero-therefore-i-know-about-music' people. seriously, the number of people i see whos entire musical collection is entirely based off GH

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Delmieth wrote:i really want to get into some more less well known bands, the problem is finding them!

Knowing a band that's lesser known is moot is you don't enjoy the music. If you feel like what you listen ow to doesn't really do it for you, then by all means go searching. But underground =/= good.

That being said, if you want some catchy indie pop stuff, check out these albums (I'm going off of you liking Vampire Weekend - these don't sound at all like VW, but if you like one you might like the other.)

Beulah - When Your Heartstrings Break
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? & Icons, I Abstract Thee
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH

and then some other things

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Rapider Than Horsepower - Rapider Than the World

Most (or all) of this can easily be found using the Google Blog search function. Search for an album title until you find a music blog that has a download link from megaupload or mediafire or whatever.

---
leonardo da vinci

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 am UTC

TallMax wrote:
Delmieth wrote:i really want to get into some more less well known bands, the problem is finding them!

Knowing a band that's lesser known is moot is you don't enjoy the music. If you feel like what you listen ow to doesn't really do it for you, then by all means go searching. But underground =/= good.

That being said, if you want some catchy indie pop stuff, check out these albums (I'm going off of you liking Vampire Weekend - these don't sound at all like VW, but if you like one you might like the other.)

Beulah - When Your Heartstrings Break
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? & Icons, I Abstract Thee
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH

and then some other things

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Rapider Than Horsepower - Rapider Than the World

Most (or all) of this can easily be found using the Google Blog search function. Search for an album title until you find a music blog that has a download link from megaupload or mediafire or whatever.

OH no i wasnt suggesting that just because they were unknown, they were good, but rather some of the underground stuff may have a different style to that which I would come across if I only listened to mainstream/well known groups.

I am a sucker for indie pop, but I am also just getting into post rock, in particular Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and I have to say, fucking briliant!
I also just got some stuff by Alcest and am liking it as well.

Other than that, thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely check them out! :D

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Do Death From Above 1979 and The Moldy Peaches count?
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

matty

Postby matty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Sanctuary1 wrote:Do Death From Above 1979 and The Moldy Peaches count?

I would say so. I am constantly converting people to DFA on a daily basis. It's a fine shame that they split so abruptly.
For me, I would have to recommend Project, a jazz band featuring that man who played 'Inspector Gadget' on the flute. Remember him? In terms of tracks, I recommend Fables of Faubus, an exemplary tune that reminds me of shady jazz clubs and drastic romance.

On an entirely different spectrum lie Lightning Bolt, a two-piece drum and bass (not drum-and-bass) noise band that any musician should surely appreciate on some level. They also tend to rock quite thoroughly. Matt Bellamy of Muse fame is a firm fanatic. Tracks to recommend include Ride The Sky, Dracula Mountain and Assassins. Their rhythms and hooks are so different and adrenaline-fueled, I doubt it is like anything you have heard up until this date. It's like chaos bottled.

I would also recommend the grunge band Kill Kenada, a three-piece that are truly worth a good mosh. Unfortunately, I believe they are currently only available to be bought on vinyl. Their very best track is In Your Throat, in my opinion.

Happy listening!
Inexplicably and all of a sudden, I don't care.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

well there are alot of well known not so well known bands/musicians if you get what im saying...
like Don Ross... anyone who likes fingerstyle guitar will know him... but just general music lovers wont .... lol.

the ones i listen to that no-one seems to know are
Eric Mongrain (only on youtube :( ) .
The Grim Northern Social (good band.. but they split up a while ago :( ) .
Rip in Reality (local glasgow metal band... just amazing imo.)
Orkestra del Sol (really weird.. but really made the tartan heart for me the year they attended.. (tartan heart is a music festival in the north of scotland)

i have many more and will post them l8er.... all these bands are completely differant styles...

so im sure you'll like at least 1 :) .
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:12 am UTC

matty wrote:
On an entirely different spectrum lie Lightning Bolt, a two-piece drum and bass (not drum-and-bass) noise band that any musician should surely appreciate on some level. They also tend to rock quite thoroughly. Matt Bellamy of Muse fame is a firm fanatic. Tracks to recommend include Ride The Sky, Dracula Mountain and Assassins. Their rhythms and hooks are so different and adrenaline-fueled, I doubt it is like anything you have heard up until this date. It's like chaos bottled.

Yea. Particularly fun live, of course. One of the drummer's side projects was what got me interested in current underground music. (I was a snotty-nosed-little-punk in the early 80s, then went through a LONG Stooges/Sabbath/MC5/Cooper/Dolls/etc period, and finally woke up and started listening to new music again in the late 90s, thanks to Chippendale.)

He also made a guest appearance on the last Bjork album, which you'd never ever guess from listening to it. Very disappointing collaberation, unfortunately. (Bjork sitting in on a LB song would have been much better.)

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:49 am UTC

I think I like Mindflayer more than Lightning Bolt

---
leonardo da vinci

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:37 am UTC

TallMax wrote:I think I like Mindflayer more than Lightning Bolt

Around 1999 - 2001 MF were definately better.

matty

Postby matty » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Yea. Particularly fun live, of course. One of the drummer's side projects was what got me interested in current underground music. (I was a snotty-nosed-little-punk in the early 80s, then went through a LONG Stooges/Sabbath/MC5/Cooper/Dolls/etc period, and finally woke up and started listening to new music again in the late 90s, thanks to Chippendale.)

He also made a guest appearance on the last Bjork album, which you'd never ever guess from listening to it. Very disappointing collaberation, unfortunately. (Bjork sitting in on a LB song would have been much better.)

Are you serious about the Björk collaboration? That's incredible! Two of my favourite renegades in music together (even if it was a load of shit). By her last album, do you mean Volta? And you are absolutely right - Björk singing over LB would surely be the end of civilization as we know it.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

matty wrote:
Are you serious about the Björk collaboration? That's incredible! Two of my favourite renegades in music together (even if it was a load of shit). By her last album, do you mean Volta? And you are absolutely right - Björk singing over LB would surely be the end of civilization as we know it.

Yeah, she recruited two underground drummers for Volta - Brian Chippendale and Chris Corsano. She wound up using Chippendale for one song, and Corsano for the rest of the album, and for live performances. (Corsano is VERY good, if you're not familiar with him. He's on the jazzy end of the noise-rock spectrum. Has played in lots and lots of bands. He did a drums-and-noise collaberation with Jessica Rylan called "Vampire Can't" that I really like.)

My favorite Bjork album is Gling Glo.

matty

Postby matty » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Yeah, she recruited two underground drummers for Volta - Brian Chippendale and Chris Corsano. She wound up using Chippendale for one song, and Corsano for the rest of the album, and for live performances. (Corsano is VERY good, if you're not familiar with him. He's on the jazzy end of the noise-rock spectrum. Has played in lots and lots of bands. He did a drums-and-noise collaberation with Jessica Rylan called "Vampire Can't" that I really like.)

My favorite Bjork album is Gling Glo.

Thank you for the tip, I shall investigate into Corsano. I respect your choice of Gling-Gló - a superb LP. I only have it on vinyl, I was unable to find it anywhere on CD. I love how pure and untainted it is - her singing is quite immature and earthy. I love it. However, my favourite of hers would have to be Post, if only for Hyper-Ballad.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Awesome bands no one has heard of (in terms of sound) - Mount Eerie's "Black Wooden Ceiling Opening"

What the hell made this guy start a punk band, and why is it so fucking good? Seriously, it's a really unique sounding album.

---
leonardo da vinci

Akhel

Postby Akhel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Ugress is awesome! Crazy, upbeat electronic music with very nice samples. There are a lot of free tracks on the website; my favorites are Kosmonaut, Makina Fifth, Zombie Eagles and Out. :)

It's kind of like Slagsmålsklubben, which is also really fun.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Burn Halo... they haven't released an album yet.. but they will be huge..

they are on myspace and have a guest solo by Synister Gates from Avenged Sevenfold
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

Maskirovka

Postby Maskirovka » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

One Man's Opinion
http://www.onemansopinionband.com/onema ... n_home.htm
Windsor, Ontario - Canada. They get some play on local radio in the Detroit area, etc.
Not super obscure but you probably haven't heard em.
They have a myspace...try "crawl into bed with me"

oblogathon

Postby oblogathon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Stick Figure.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Soul Hooligan. They are amazing, and don't even have a wikipedia/website.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I don't know how many people here have heard of them, but The Tiger Lillies are pretty awesome. They're a three-piece band from London from 1989 that plays a sort of dark gypsy cabaret. Their lyrics are generally very... potentially offensive, as they are about topics such as beastiality, prostitution, rape, and other such things. Actually, I can't say that I have listened to too many of their songs, but what I have listened too was fairly interesting, if only because it's so unusual.[/url]
Myspace
Official Website

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Dallas Crane. I doubt anyone out of Aus has heard of them. Although if they have that's freaking sweet.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 am UTC

Lungs.

I saw them live at a local show, they're really really good.

Combination of skate punk, hardcore punk, punk, punk, more punk.

But yeah give them a listen then make up your mind:

http://www.myspace.com/howlungswork

mefista

My two suggestions

Postby mefista » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

A couple suggestions for today:

The Good lovelies: http://www.myspace.com/goodlovelies (on the very girly, light, folk side)
Saw them in Ottawa recently and they are funny, funny girls, I LMAO the whole time.

Donora: http://www.donoramusic.com/

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:32 am UTC

I'm curious to see if anyone else listen to Neutral Milk Hotel.
(didn't expect 12 million plays on last.fm)

But maybe I'm just a poser.

Return to “Music”