0440: "Road Rage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

eXodus

Re: "Road Rage" Discussion

Postby eXodus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:45 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:That was one lucky shot in the dark.

scarletmanuka wrote:I have to go with benjhuey with this one. It takes more than just knowing a female who's died for this one to be effective.

It's basically cold-reading, isn't it? And that seems to reach the masses quite often. Of course, maybe that's why this would work on someone who drives around with a laptop running - who would try cold-reading on someone so learned? It has to be the real thing.

dune

Postby dune » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:I have to go with benjhuey with this one. It takes more than just knowing a female who's died for this one to be effective. There has to be some connection to the target that is plausible enough for his subconscious to go for. In my case, I knew a couple of women who died prematurely, but I certainly didn't give them cancer, so it wouldn't register at all for me.

Of course it might still be a case of "What the hell are you talking about? Who do you mean? Are you sure you have the right--" *CRASH* if the question produces enough distraction. Sort of like Reverse Nerd Sniping.

I think it would work well if the victim's mother had died in childbirth, or due to post-natal complications.

Oh, and about that website idea, try juicydriver.com. It is easy to remember, contextual, and available. We can encourage people to check out if their friends are featured. Of course, that would require an image tagging feature.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Hmm... she says she's "scanning for remote exploits"... what are the chances that the exploits are of this variety?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:54 am UTC

jspenguin wrote:I had an idea for a web site, but I don't have the resources to host it.

It would be called "You are an asshole", and you could post the license plate of someone you thought was an asshole on the road and tell them exactly how you feel.

I once set up a free-host site for the "Great Parking Awards" as a birthday present for my father. I gave him a pad of "Nomination Slips" to keep in the car and then place under the windscreen wipers of the worst offenders.

The plan (which I never implemented) was to spread it by word of mouth and have the public vote weekly on who was the worst parker. I've spoilered some of the art I made for the site:

Can't find it right now, will edit it in later.

As for the "shot in the dark", once she's in his computer I'm sure that BHG/Journal/Classette/Does She Have a Name? would be able to find enough details about him to make a reasonable guess at what to ask.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:26 am UTC

I'm quite concerned by the structural rigidity of automobiles in the xkcd-world to be honest. And I don't think hearing Microsoft Sam announcing a connection to the demise of a female in the third person would freak me out completely. Still, it's good to see that Black Hat Man and The-Girlfriend-Formerly-Known-As-Black-Hat-Girl make such a great team.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:22 am UTC

You know, when people drive really really slowly in front of my I tailgate them...but it is their own fault for going 25 when the speed limit is 35. Grrrrrrrrr........

Of course now I wish I could do this, but in reverse to the stupid slow drivers in front of me.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 am UTC

Guilt-truipping in that manner is mean, many would say too harsh a punishment for tailgating.

As for the laptop on in the backseat, it could easily be done to someone without a laptop on, with volume up, with an application to test what channel the nearest active radio is recieving, then using a modified version of the Silence Broadcaster (the one that takes over any nearby radio wavelengths, and broadcasts slilence on those frequencies, to use against people playing their radios over the local legal volume?) to take over the wavelength of the station they are listening to, and apply a voice that says something distracting and either omniscient or godly, or gets them into a conversation about joining a secret government agency. (for the former, leaving the radi music on, for the latter, silencing the radio).
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

I don't think the "shot in the psychological dark" is too difficult to make. Someone who regularly tail-gates at high speed has an above average chance of having been involved in a serious accident.

There is no penalty too severe for tail-gating at high speed. It is a deliberate means of intimidation and the direct cause of multiple collision road traffic accidents.

The ba*d behind gets what's coming to him.
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.
Book: Really.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

violaj

Postby violaj » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

I came, I saw; I was conquered.

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

gosh... now imagine that you will meet BHM and BHW like that. you can eather do suicide or pray for mercy
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

sanitycheck wrote:And yes, I know that Journal Woman was the only one who really did anything here. Nonetheless, he was there, and he did not collapse into a singularity under the pressure of the mind-shattering, malignant glory radiating from his passenger seat. So he has not gone soft.

Besides, he's the one slamming on the brakes.

bumpgrrl

Postby bumpgrrl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

linguistic wrote:This reminds me of a Bob the Angry Flower where he does a similar psych-out thing to a telemarketer... I can't find it right now though (at work, never enough time).

Anyone else know what I'm on about, or am I talkin' to myself?

I know what you're talking about! It's this one

I have that early book, but i'm totally out of date on the others. The mouseover makes this comic, since the concept was (to me, at least) a little bit "done".
Belial wrote:Now there is only vengeance and death.

And cookies.

PixieScarlette

Postby PixieScarlette » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

suso wrote:Does anyone here remember that newsgroup for people to complain about other drivers? It wasn't all that popular, but it had some funny posts of people thinking that their complaint would be read by the person who did whatever to them.

jspenguin wrote:I had an idea for a web site, but I don't have the resources to host it.

It would be called "You are an asshole", and you could post the license plate of someone you thought was an asshole on the road and tell them exactly how you feel.

There is already a website like this. It has been up and running for awhile now. Don't waste your time making a new one.
You can search by state, plate number, etc.

http://www.platewire.com/

Main

Postby Main » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

timt wrote:Because everyone drives round with a WAP and their laptop going in the back of their car...
Because i know i do!

Hehe this ones a little far fetched but funny none the less.

It's not far fetched at all.

If Windows can't find a preferred access point to connect to, it's idea of failure is to connect to a long random SSID, and when that fails, try again in a minute. With a tool called KARMA, when someone tries to connect to an access point that doesn't exist, it creates it and connects them. Combine these, and you can be on the same network as any Windows (2000, XP, dunno about Vista) machine in less than a minute. Then you just need a scanner, some remote exploits, a speech synth, and experience at being an asshole.

Of course, the laptop would need to be on, and have the wireless enabled, and the method above only works for Windows. But it's possible, and this could be what she means by "the wifi autoconnects".

(format t "~&~9,'0,V,3:B" #\Newline 143)

zmef

Postby zmef » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Its weird that I read this comic just before finding out George Carlin died. One of my favorite bits of his was his idea that we should have signs on top of our cars that we could type messages into so other drivers could read them: "You drive like old people fuck: slow and sloppy."
"I never lose. I just choose not to win."

szarka

Postby szarka » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Note to self: never piss Randall off. Just thinking of this strip makes him the bigger BOFH... /me kowtows

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

I once had a similar idea, but differently. When I get cut off or tailgated or something, I always want to try and get next to them, wait until they look over, put up a camera, and take a picture. I'd then host the pictures on a website called "Surprised Jackasses .com"

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

stormoftara wrote:You know, when people drive really really slowly in front of my I tailgate them...but it is their own fault for going 25 when the speed limit is 35. Grrrrrrrrr........

Of course now I wish I could do this, but in reverse to the stupid slow drivers in front of me.

It's called the maximum speed, not the required speed. Sure, it can be annoying, but it's no excuse for tailgating.

steek

Postby steek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

ELProphet wrote:
I had an idea for a web site, but I don't have the resources to host it.

All the permutations I can think of for "You are an Asshole".com I could think of were registered. However, I do have the resources to host that (at least to start off), if anyone finds a decent domain name.

Another idea is Damnmassholes.com ...anyone who has ever driven in the state of massechusets should understand

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

This comic is COLD. I'm impressed, xkcd.

I think driving too slow can be just as dangerous as too fast. Tailgating is never a good idea, though. If there's an accident you're at fault, and usually those people aren't paying enough attention to realize they're being tailgated anyways.

space-raptors current pet peeve: people who merge onto roads while driving 20 km/h slower than the speed of traffic on that road. I leave plenty of room for those dumbasses to get in if they're merging into my lane, and I still have to hit the brakes, and if I'm behind them in the merge lane, they totally fuck up the flow of my merging plan.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Chalnoth

Postby Chalnoth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

There have been times when I've decided to get back at other drivers. One was a time when I was heading east of a small city in northern California, Redding. Nearly anybody that gets on this highway ends up going in one direction for a good couple of hours. I was going to be on it for three. Oh, and it's one lane each way.

Well, anyway, shortly after we leave town, this guy manages to piss me off. I can't remember the whole of it, but cutting off an elderly couple in another car was at least part of it. So, I thought I'd have a little fun: I tailgated him for a whole hour. Freaked him the fuck out, to the point where, at one point, he actually stuck his head out the driver's side window.

Good times. Good times.

T3m3r1ty

Postby T3m3r1ty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Hmmm.... ever read Orson Scott Card's short story Freeway Games ? You might want to rethink that strategy.
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.

Book: Really.

River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

This couple reminds me of the 13 crystal skulls where if they all come together, the universe will explode. I think that if the hat dude ever impregnates his girlfriend/nemesis, she'll give birth to the nuclear baby and we'll all be living in fallout shelters and growing extra eyes between our toes.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:And I don't think hearing Microsoft Sam announcing a connection to the demise of a female in the third person would freak me out completely.

Yes, a much better message would be, "The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God." Followed, after a short pause, by "Apologies. I said, 'There was an error accessing the POP server..'"

Midna

Postby Midna » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I just want to say that this girl is my hero.

I don't think you can autoconnect to a network if the laptop is in suspend mode and closed; correct me if I'm wrong though.

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:space-raptors current pet peeve: people who merge onto roads while driving 20 km/h slower than the speed of traffic on that road. I leave plenty of room for those dumbasses to get in if they're merging into my lane, and I still have to hit the brakes, and if I'm behind them in the merge lane, they totally fuck up the flow of my merging plan.

People do that here, rather frequently, by turning right from the side street directly onto the entrance ramp and then trying to accelerate from 20 mph up to highway speed in the short distance they have left. Usually the ones who don't pay attention to the speed with which traffic is approaching.

They also do something similar here (annoyingly enough, the other end of the exact same side street) when turning onto or off of the side street from the major thoroughfare that just happens to have two relatively fast moving flows of traffic merging exactly where the intersection is. Getting through this one safely requires looking in at least three directions at once, and it's almost always when you're looking behind you at the stream of traffic that you're trying to merge with when someone decides to turn out directly in front of you from that side street or come to a very sudden stop trying to turn onto it. (This is a design that should be shown to budding traffic engineers as an example of What Not To Do. I know of entirely too many people who've been seriously injured or even killed in collisions at or near the exact center of that image.)

It should be noted that both of these problem intersections are in an area of a major city in Texas where most if not all of the drivers are severely lacking in basic driving skills, and are often driving one of two rather distinctive types of vehicles: 1) dilapidated quarter to half ton pickups that are so poorly maintained they actually pose a hazard of falling completely apart in a traffic lane, driven 20-30 mph under the speed limit by drivers who look rather unfamiliar with US roads, or 2) cheaply modified "tuner" lookalike cars driven by extremely aggressive kids whose favorite hobby seems to be either tailgating or lane splitting and who can be counted on to do the most unexpected thing possible in any situation, usually so abruptly that if you're not watching them to the exclusion of all else, you're likely to get hit when they (all too often) are a little short on situational awareness, shall we say ..

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

I should actually mention that I've actively considered the idea of wiring my vehicles for multiple covert video cameras and a multi-camera DVR, preferably with date/time imprint on the video, and emailing video of variously egregious driver behavior to the police from time to time. Most of the time I wouldn't bother, but there are times when I'd really like to be able to back up reports with some sort of record ..

TomKat

Postby TomKat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

Wow it is like Randall is totally in my head I mean I was driving the other day and I was worried I'd killed some girl!

On a separate note, Randall isn't so hot with the car-drawing, huh?

SimonBob

Postby SimonBob » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Best date ever. Get out of my car, Randall.

Probably journalgirl dipped into the documents folder and spotted a calendar or reminder file saying, "Ann's Funeral: Saturday" or somesuch? Whenever I'm hacking into an unfamiliar system, the personal files are the first place I go, just to get some practical blackmail evidence if nothing else.
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.

lmclapp68

Postby lmclapp68 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

I actually started a website like this long ago, though I didn't do anything with it. It was called idiotdarts.com, after an idea from Gallagher. (I've since let the domain lapse.) On sober examination, I had some interesting privacy and safety concerns.

Imagine: Your husband beats you. You leave him. Somebody posts your license plate. He finds you and beats you some more and maybe kills you.

I couldn't figure out how to even begin to make it fair or safe. *shrug* Color me "conscientious". :)

RobinEJ

Postby RobinEJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Radikalskippy wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that this girl is our very own Elaine...

She can't be. "Journalgirl" and Elaine were seen ice-skating together, [url="http://xkcd.com/405/"]remember[/url]? So unless there is time-travelling involved, they can't be the same person.

If i'm wrong, you may kill me. Or better yet: you can kill Randall Munroe. You wouldn't kill him, right? Right?

Motoma

Postby Motoma » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

I saw this comic and it immediately reminded me of the CarWhisperer project. Just thought you might get a kick out of that...Anyway, funny stuff.

sanitycheck

Postby sanitycheck » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

lihan161051 wrote:
Dobblesworth wrote:Yes, a much better message would be, "The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God." Followed, after a short pause, by "Apologies. I said, 'There was an error accessing the POP server..'"

Now that one wouldn't get me at all; my immediate reaction would be "all right; who's the smartass?" The genius of Journal Girl's message is its vagueness.

In that sense it reminds me of the classic (and probably apocryphal) Victorian-era prank, attributed to Arther Conan Doyle among others: the perpetrator sends telegrams to dozens of perfect strangers, reading "All is revealed. Flee at once." According to legend, over half the recipients bolted from London, some of them never to be heard from again.

Wouldn't work today. "Hmm. That's slightly creepier than the last fifty spam messages." <DELETE>

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

This completely makes up for the last entry in the Journal series, and more.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 am UTC

stormoftara wrote:You know, when people drive really really slowly in front of my I tailgate them...but it is their own fault for going 25 when the speed limit is 35. Grrrrrrrrr........

Hey, this guy is slowing me down. Obviously the best course of action is to create a dangerous situation and risk hitting them if a kid runs into the road and they have to slam on their brakes.

Dumbass.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 am UTC

If this is BHM and Journal Girl, then why isn't it called "Journal 6"?

And what was more lucky than the shot in the dark was that he didn't change lanes before the voice synth had time to install.... :P
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:If this is BHM and Journal Girl, then why isn't it called "Journal 6"?

Because it has nothing to do with that arc, except for the characters?

Re tailgating: Whenever I'm tailgated, I'm always tempted to slow down even further... partly to reduce the risk of damage, should we crash, and partly out of spite.
There's a road at Dorrigo which is particularly bad to drive along... it's a really steep hill, so the road winds a lot, a blind turn about every 20-30 metres or so... one lane each way... definitely worth driving slowly on. One time we had a tailgater, who followed us for a while, and when we didn't speed up, they overtook us (by driving into the oncoming lane), while we were going around one of said blind turns. Madness.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

sanitycheck

Postby sanitycheck » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:45 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:\And what was more lucky than the shot in the dark was that he didn't change lanes before the voice synth had time to install.... :P

Don't forget that Journal Girl may have learned hacking from Elaine Roberts herself. When she says "Install voice synth", it's shorthand for "remind BHG and the readers that I've preemptively installed a whole suite of custom utilities on every device in the city, in case I ever feel like fucking with them."

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Ugh, I HATE tailgaters. I'm only just learning how to drive, and having people directly behind me like that makes me nervous. I realize I may be going a little below the speed limit, but I'm still learning and it's very likely I'll have to hit the brakes fast. Besides, sometimes people tailgate me when I'm going exactly the speed limit. Where's the fire, buddy?

This comic made me LAUGH. Hysterically. For several minutes. It went straight into my "Favorite xkcd comics" file. I *really* want to do that now! I sometimes have my laptop out when I'm in the passenger seat, and to be able to screw with other people like that . . . My sadistic power-hungry side is coming out again.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:42 am UTC

eXodus wrote:Yay! More BHW mind games! And if I may take a shot in the psychological dark of my own, is that the guy from Nightmares?

Until we receive word otherwise, I'm assuming this, because that's just orgasmically awesome.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”