Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: Today You Learned

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Today I learned [or realised] that I'm in danger of becoming Marxist.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:Well, the shower one might, but you can force people to bathe. Which you totally can't do with sex.

Technically, not true. Not that I'm condoning that, or that I wouldn't end you for doing it to someone I care about, but it is possible.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Hoshi no Kabii wrote:Well, the shower one might, but you can force people to bathe. Which you totally can't do with sex.

Technically, not true. Not that I'm condoning that, or that I wouldn't end you for doing it to someone I care about, but it is possible.
I'm aware of this, which is why I worded my sentence like that. Figured I'd stay away from the issue and not risk upsetting anybody.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:
Torvaun wrote:

I'm aware of this, which is why I worded my sentence like that. Figured I'd stay away from the issue and not risk upsetting anybody.

Torvaun: Totally willing to dive head-first into volatile topics.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Today I learned it is possible to accidentally learn how to play a song on the Bass guitar. I was tuning up and just playing around with random notes after tuning, and something in my brain said "wait, that sounds familiar". So as a result I also accidentally learned how to play "Separations" by FourWayFree on my bass today.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:03 am UTC

It's more fun if you work it out when the bass isn't tuned, memorize it, and can't play it after you tune the bass and be all like 'WTF!?'
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

It's even even more more when you learn a song on guitar that's in E standard, when you are a whole step detuned. I can't play The Trooper in E standard now. My left hand instincts are all wrong.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

I learned what the ManPunch is today!

It's not nearly as awesome as it sounds, but it still made me happy.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Today I learned about the Nash equilibrium.

In practice, I really should have learnt about it....hmm, nearly 3 years ago, but I was too busy drinking and downloading albums to go to lectures, let alone pay attention to the reading list.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Today, I learned it's Thursday, which I probably should have already known but didn't.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:Today I learned about the Nash equilibrium.

In practice, I really should have learnt about it....hmm, nearly 3 years ago, but I was too busy drinking and downloading albums to go to lectures, let alone pay attention to the reading list.

Dude, you could have done what I did - drink, then download albums while you're at lectures. It's a total party. Unless it's at 8 in the morning.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:
Mercurius wrote:Today I learned about the Nash equilibrium.

Dude, you could have done what I did - drink, then download albums while you're at lectures. It's a total party. Unless it's at 8 in the morning.

Well, 11am. But it was a good half an hour walk to the theatre, which realistically meant being up at 10am...which was never, ever going to happen.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Today I learned that using a mouse a hell of a god damn lot may be a bad idea. My right index finger seems to be slightly swollen and out of alignment with my other fingers, but perfectly aligned for clicking the mouse. I'll try to do more other things tomorrow, I think.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

benjhuey wrote:Today, I learned it's Thursday, which I probably should have already known but didn't.

I did the exact same thing amount half an hour ago!

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

Today I learned that a butterfly knife is properly known as a balisong, and is not recognized as a "gravity knife" by the state of New York (most bans which are thought to apply to balisongs actually say "gravity knife").

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:
Mmmm, Pi wrote:This weekend I learnt that it's a really good idea to think about who's in the room when you decide to play I have never. There are some things it is not good to know about people you have to see pretty much every day.
I wouldn't think playing a game of I Have Never would lead to any surprising revelations. Maybe I Have Never Had Sex or I Have Never Showered, but that wouldn't cause you to think differently of people you see every day. Well, the shower one might, but you can force people to bathe. Which you totally can't do with sex.
...playing a game of "I Have" would probably be great, with varying definitions of great. I should do that during my next congregation.

I thought "I Have Never" was when you said something like "I have never masturbated to the thoughts of Karl Marx" and everyone who has actually done that has to take a shot or whatever?

Which means that someone saying "I have never thought of an octopus in an erotic fashion" and your best friend going "Ah, damnit" and taking a shot would be... a bit peculiar, yes?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

DAMN YOU SECOND TALON! YOU JUST GAVE ME THOUGHTS OF EROTIC OCTOPI AND NEXT TIME I PLAY THAT I'M GOING TO LOSE AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SHOW MY FACE IN THIS TOWN AGAIN!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 am UTC

FACT: anyone who has not seen erotic octopi is too blissfully unaware of hentai for their own good.

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 am UTC

That most hotels do not have a 13th floor.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
benjhuey wrote:Today, I learned it's Thursday, which I probably should have already known but didn't.

I did the exact same thing amount half an hour ago!

I repeated the experience about an hour ago. Now, though, it is Friday.

I spent the whole day trying to learn what day it was, but now it's a different day. :?
多么现在棕色母牛?

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Today I learned that it is harder to get a job working with my mall's security team than it is to apply for a position in my state's highway patrol. All this because a friend of mine is currently working on applying for both positions (one to pay while he's attending school/police academy to get the other). I was somewhat surprised to learn the background checks needed to work as mall security.

Edit: To correct a horrible grammatical mistake

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 am UTC

today I learned that genetic modification of bacteria is much less exciting in reality than it was in my imagination. :|

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Today, I learned, that, yet again, God is not with you when you have to wake up before seven in the morning.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:Today I learned that it is harder to get a job working with my mall's security team than it is to apply for a position in my state's highway patrol. All this because a friend of mine is currently working on applying for both positions (one to pay while he's attending school/police academy to get the other). I was somewhat surprised to learn the background checks needed to work as mall security.

Funny...you'd think it would be the other way around.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Not really.

If you're highway patrol, you can fuck around with one to twenty people before you get caught.

If you're mall security, you can fuck with corporations for a while before you get caught. Corps don't take kindly to that.

I mean, who gives a shit about people, you're costing the Corp .005% of it's profit share for this quarter!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Today I learned the meaning of a stye (which I have on the inside of my eyelid, btw), and how to treat one. It's fucking painful.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Today I learned the meaning of a stye (which I have on the inside of my eyelid, btw), and how to treat one. It's fucking painful.

I've had two over the course of this year.

Today I learned that I will only be out of town for one day rather than the usual day and a half.

Edit: Apparently my sister has not here for the past three days. I hadn't noticed she was missing. She will not be going with the rest of us on the trip mentioned above.
多么现在棕色母牛?

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Today i learned that my personal views are closer to Bahaism then Christianity.
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Today I learnt about comedy.

Well, precisely, some pretty interesting research into the sociological functions of comedy and humour.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Today i learned that there is such a thing as too much steak.
And that no amount of doorbell can wake you up after a night of boozing.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:35 am UTC

3fj wrote:Today i learned that there is such a thing as too much steak.

Did you discover Fogo de Chao? That has to be my favorite restaurant by far, but anyone, after eating a meal there, can understand the concept of too much steak. Or, at least, enough steak.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Watching "The Great Outdoors" will do that too. Old 96er. Actually, I think we've got a place around here that does that. I should try it some time.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Today I learned how Hancock ends.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:08 am UTC

Today, I learnt that putting hair greater than half your height in a ponytail does effectively nothing to keep it from getting everywhere.

That some crazy people spell it learned.

Precisely how a ballpoint pen works.

How a glass-holder emblazoned 'GOOD POINT. NOW SHUT UP!' can keep the drink cold.

That I am not capable of tying my hair up myself.

That I don't like Rock Band, or Guitar Hero. Especially Guitar Hero.

How catchy the song 'Afterlife' by A7X is.

That this computer is too pathetic to play KotOR II, and can barely manage KoTOR I.

That dried peppers are pretty much the most condiment in existence.

Just how much wires hate you.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Today I learned that the long-term dream of having long hair isn't worth the irritation of medium-length hair constantly getting in my eyes.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Gadren wrote:Today I learned that the long-term dream of having long hair isn't worth the irritation of medium-length hair constantly getting in my eyes.

this is always annoying. I don't really know whether I want to grow my hair, but it would be interesting to try. I always get annoyed at a certain length and get it cut, though.

I learned the monologue from Porcupine Tree's "Last chance to evacuate planet earth before it is recycled" is from a video left behind by the leader of some crazy cult that all committed suicide a while back.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:
3fj wrote:Today i learned that there is such a thing as too much steak.

Did you discover Fogo de Chao? That has to be my favorite restaurant by far, but anyone, after eating a meal there, can understand the concept of too much steak. Or, at least, enough steak.

Nope, I went to Tescos at midnight (as i usually do with my flatmate's, we like having races whilst avoiding the big cages they put everywhere. Alas, i digress) and they were just putting the things away to go off in the "Reduced to clear" bit in the meat section. Two huge steaks, with one day of shelf life left for £2. I couldn't resist. But i froze them, so just cooked them both. Turns out my flatmate had eaten, and i couldn't just waste it...

As for the longhair/midhair fiasco. I endured a year of high school with that awkward mid-hair stage. I kept my long hair till uni, shaved it last September, immediately regretted it and have been growing it since. I'm now half way through my mid-way stage again, and expect to have it long again for third year, where i will keep it till i have a child, so that i can tell him amusing anecdotes of how i had long hair and love metal.

I have a theory that children always rebel, so to craft my child as a replica im going to pretend i like things that i hate in the hope they grow up decently (read: my definition of decently; like me)
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Gadren wrote:Today I learned that the long-term dream of having long hair isn't worth the irritation of medium-length hair constantly getting in my eyes.

And people ask me why I don't get a haircut.

Also I came up with the hypothesis that my finger is not swollen (see earlier on this page) but is rather growing in terms of muscle mass due to large amounts of mouse clicking, typing and piano playing focusing particularly on that finger. If this is correct it would mean the slightly inflamed (and very annoyingly itchy) skin is due to it being stretched and maybe increased blood flow.

I have yet to test this scientifically though. Hmmm...

Website

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

You need to rest it a little then, to let the muscle develop properly. Maybe lessen your use of it for a couple of days, then go back to your normal routine. If it hurts less or takes longer for it to hurt, you could be onto something.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Also I came up with the hypothesis that my finger is not swollen (see earlier on this page) but is rather growing in terms of muscle mass due to large amounts of mouse clicking, typing and piano playing focusing particularly on that finger. If this is correct it would mean the slightly inflamed (and very annoyingly itchy) skin is due to it being stretched and maybe increased blood flow.

I have yet to test this scientifically though. Hmmm...

Mine are also swollen and more muscley than they should be. I luckily haven't got itching or calluses yet...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “General”