Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Today You Learned

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Well, the idea yesterday was to not use the computer at all and stuff and it has been better, it was just really itchy whenever I was trying to get to sleep anyway, keeping me awake for ages. Anyway, I probably didn't word it in the best manner, but I think it should all be fine soon, even if it pisses me off alot in the mean time. Time for sleep.

Also I learned that a few of my friends are really quite wasted at the moment and forgot to invite me or I forgot they did or something like that. So I learned that 3 wasted people fighting over a keyboard to chat to someone on MSN is really damn funny.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

It's not my mouse finger that get sore. Instead, I feel the burn in a very, very specific part of the muscle just below my shoulder.
Also, the bits of my mouse which I rest my palm on have gotten pretty discolored... :|

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:32 am UTC

When I do more than sit on my ass all day I get really hungry.

L0LiBuNNaH

Postby L0LiBuNNaH » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:56 am UTC

dear diary,
Today I learned that some people get really grouchy when they do not eat. I learned that when said grouchy people play X-Box, they can get really mad and throw controllers. Throwing controllers can result in bodily harm of others, causing aggro.
There's no sense crying over every mistake, You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake. And the science gets done and you make a neat gun.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 am UTC

I learned that sometimes it's okay to sit on my butt and watch DVDs all day
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:01 am UTC

cyberia wrote:I learned that sometimes it's okay to sit on my butt and watch DVDs all day

I read your pizza post too. You have had a good day, my friend.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:09 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
cyberia wrote:I learned that sometimes it's okay to sit on my butt and watch DVDs all day

I read your pizza post too. You have had a good day, my friend.

haha, I guess I have. Finally embracing my inner-slob.

But now it's night-time and I feel like I've wasted my day :(
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

I've learnt that going through the really annoyingly coded old website and updating every page is going to take me all summer.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Today I learned I'm really close to 50 posts. I consider that a feat because I tend to lurk more than I post in forums.

This, by the way, is post #50 for me :D

spaceiscurved

Postby spaceiscurved » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Today, I learned that kayaking can really tire a person (i.e., me) out. It's still definately worth it though. I also learned that the movie Good Luck Chuck is pretty good. Oh, and I learned that my brother has a really hard time choosing between two bad options. He has to have at least one option that is obviously better than the others, or two good options.
Im in ur noun, verbing ur related noun.
imdb wrote:Darth Vader may frighten younger children

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Today I learned that younger siblings are really, really bad at following advice when it conflicts with their inner thoughts of "but that's not what I want to do!"

EDIT: On a related note, these same younger siblings are equally bad at following aforementioned advice even if backed up with math and statistics.
Insert witty phrase here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Gadren wrote:Today I learned that the long-term dream of having long hair isn't worth the irritation of medium-length hair constantly getting in my eyes.

this is always annoying. I don't really know whether I want to grow my hair, but it would be interesting to try. I always get annoyed at a certain length and get it cut, though.

On myself, if I let my hair grow past my eyebrows.. that's when the "shit phase" of hair starts. It does nothing but get more and more and more annoying. Probably the most annoying phase is when you can kinda tuck it behind your ears, but then it flops forward in five minutes or so.

Once you can actually pull it all back, it stops being bad.. because you've got it all pulled back. A month or two after that, even loose it's not nearly as annoying as it was during the shit phase.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:45 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Today I learned that younger siblings are really, really bad at following advice when it conflicts with their inner thoughts of "but that's not what I want to do!"

EDIT: On a related note, these same younger siblings are equally bad at following aforementioned advice even if backed up with math and statistics.

What, you just learned that today? Good heavens.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

I learned how to correctly pronounce Quixotess's name.
多么现在棕色母牛?

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Today I learned that $8.40 isn't a lot of money.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:01 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:On a related note, these same younger siblings are equally bad at following aforementioned advice even if backed up with math and statistics.

I've encountered this phenomenon numerous times over the years. However my experience has been that the more math/science/statistics backing up my advice there is, the less likely my siblings are to follow that advice.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:03 am UTC

@Benachooey: I feel positively popular.

Oh, and today I learned that I'm really used to the normal pattern of how business goes in the grocery store where I work. Even when it's busy, usually there are minutes when there are hardly any people, or at least hardly any lines. But today, from 3:30 and continuing until after my shift was over at 5:30, there was NO LET-UP. Lines five people deep for TWO HOURS. And so we couldn't spare anyone to bring in carts, so we were running out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to take the hand baskets from the checkstands to the doors, so we were completely out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to fill bags, so we were running out of those too. Disaster.

So I learned that the no-let-up thing is really exhausting and I'm not used to it at all.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Oh, and today I learned that I'm really used to the normal pattern of how business goes in the grocery store where I work. Even when it's busy, usually there are minutes when there are hardly any people, or at least hardly any lines. But today, from 3:30 and continuing until after my shift was over at 5:30, there was NO LET-UP. Lines five people deep for TWO HOURS. And so we couldn't spare anyone to bring in carts, so we were running out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to take the hand baskets from the checkstands to the doors, so we were completely out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to fill bags, so we were running out of those too. Disaster.

So I learned that the no-let-up thing is really exhausting and I'm not used to it at all.

I've seen this scenario too many times. If you're really that busy, there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. Fortunately for me, I moved into the photo department to get out of that kind of craziness.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:20 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Oh, and today I learned that I'm really used to the normal pattern of how business goes in the grocery store where I work. Even when it's busy, usually there are minutes when there are hardly any people, or at least hardly any lines. But today, from 3:30 and continuing until after my shift was over at 5:30, there was NO LET-UP. Lines five people deep for TWO HOURS. And so we couldn't spare anyone to bring in carts, so we were running out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to take the hand baskets from the checkstands to the doors, so we were completely out of those, and we couldn't spare anyone to fill bags, so we were running out of those too. Disaster.

I've seen this scenario too many times. If you're really that busy, there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. Fortunately for me, I moved into the photo department to get out of that kind of craziness.

Back when I cashiered and we had those kinds of issues, whoever was shift leader would actually make a page calling for folks from any other department to come up and give a hand out. Usually meant we had accounting people pushing carts, but y'know, it worked. And really, your invoices will still be there in ten minutes, whereas if you leave the carts and baskets empty long enough, your customers probably won't.

Today I learned that it was perfectly valid to make the assumption that I'd like John Adam's opera Nixon in China on the basis of liking his other stuff. Honestly it was just very characteristic of his other work, anyhow, so after listening to it, my opinion really hasn't changed at all.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Yeah, usually we're better staffed than that, but we had two cashiers call in sick today. Bad! Very bad!

We can call people from Grocery (stocking) up to bag usually, although they can't do the cashiering (which is the most skilled job in the store of course.) Double unfortunately, we're going through a massive four-month remodel, and today they were moving around all the items in dairy to different places, crazy busy. ALSO, today our store director decided that it was a good day for interviewing people who had been hired less than a year ago (read: all the baggers except me) about the hiring/interviewing/training process. ALSO we have Rainier cherries, and when we have those our store turns into a mosh pit of cherry lust.

Truly, many factors today conspired to screw us over.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Today I learned how to build a college class schedule. Kind of.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:37 am UTC

I learned that someone already made an offline (Copies it online quickly at will) drawball drawing program before me. Well, if I can get the positioning working, I could make a 24/7 drawing script (It automatically refreshes Ip when it gets to 0 ink currently).

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Today I learned that cooking is not a task to be performed with one hand, even when experienced.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Today I learned about linoleum and the symbol for electrical chassis ground.

I also learned that next year my school will be divided into "houses". Like Hogwarts :? (See the thread I am about to make in School)
(Firefox recognizes Hogwarts??)

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Oh! Yesterday I learned the kanji for いい (as in good) is apparently 良い Horray!

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:58 am UTC

i learned (in the process of moving) that i own enough tshirts to fill a 33 gallon bag... im not sure how to deal with that fact.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Lucky? Joyous? Willing to donate some of them to charity? Eager to make a massive tie-dye raptor out of t-shirts stuffed with packing peanuts?

kriel

Postby kriel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

L0LiBuNNaH wrote:Throwing controllers can result in bodily harm of others, causing aggro.

This may be a bit late, but...

Sigged.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Today I learned about writing daemons.

I also decided to do something about my life about 2 A.M. Later I learned I had to write a daemon in order to do so.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Moobly

Postby Moobly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Today I learned that the word "cunt" carries meaning across languages and cultures. Even though I said it in a nice way...
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -Aldous Huxley

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Moobly wrote:Today I learned that the word "cunt" carries meaning across languages and cultures. Even though I said it in a nice way...

Oooh, share the story!

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Moobly wrote:Today I learned that the word "cunt" carries meaning across languages and cultures. Even though I said it in a nice way...

Its one of the two words (along with "hysterical") that you should never, ever say on a Feminist blog either.

Today I learnt that Identity Politics are fucking retarded, and that Foucault deserves to be kicked in the balls.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:

Its one of the two words (along with "hysterical") that you should never, ever say on a Feminist blog either.

Today I learnt that Identity Politics are fucking retarded, and that Foucault deserves to be kicked in the balls.

1. Many feminists/womanists have reappropriated the word "cunt" to the point that it is not always an insult to say it in their space in their way. Melissa McEwan, of Shakesville, sometimes refers to herself as Queen Cunt of Fuck Mountain, which originated as a response to people telling her she was too foul-mouthed and aggressive, and, if it is clear that you are using it the same way, you may.

2. There are actually many words that we don't say on feminist blogs except in special circumstances. "Retarded" is one.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Surely what you type on a feminist blog is irrelevant regarding whether or not it hurts there feelings? (i mean at worst, your getting a torrent of shit coming your way. In blog comment format.) Though this isn't really the place to discuss a "So? it's the internet! Fuck 'em!" style of carrying one's self.

Today i learned that a combination of dehydration, heat and stress do fucking hilarious things to your mood/perception.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

Surely what you type on a feminist blog is irrelevant regarding whether or not it hurts there feelings?

If you're completely unconcerned with courtesy, protocol, decorum, and respecting the space, I suppose.

Are you unconcerned with those things?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Surely what you type on a feminist blog is irrelevant regarding whether or not it hurts there feelings?

If you're completely unconcerned with courtesy, protocol, decorum, and respecting the space, I suppose.

I am so sorry. I absolutely cannot take what you just said seriously, because I'm imagining your new, extremely happy raptor human avatar saying it in perfect English.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Today I learned a friend's number, and that their thing is on monday, not saturday.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Mercurius wrote:

1. Many feminists/womanists have reappropriated the word "cunt" to the point that it is not always an insult to say it in their space in their way. Melissa McEwan, of Shakesville, sometimes refers to herself as Queen Cunt of Fuck Mountain, which originated as a response to people telling her she was too foul-mouthed and aggressive, and, if it is clear that you are using it the same way, you may.

2. There are actually many words that we don't say on feminist blogs except in special circumstances. "Retarded" is one.

1. I've probably read too many linked threads from Sadly, No! to Feministe, which is hardly the poster-child for sensible, rational feminist debate, I must admit. I got the impression from Amanda Marcotte and the Pandragon crew however that, generally speaking, it was a no-no.

2. Foucault is a special case. A very special one. Its no coincidence that soon after the New Left appropriated his ideas on identity politics that the left fell into (even more) squabbling factions. At least the factions before had some decent ideological grounds for their differences.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Depends. If you were to use the word 'cunt' in a derogatory manner in the first place, surley your not too bothered about any of your mentioned concepts? Or is a well reasoned argument whilst throwing in an 'insulting' jab or two in there for measure follow courtesy, protocol, decorum and respecting space?

As with much my misinformed "just throwin' it out there" kind of posts, I probably forgot to read it that crucial third time about something i didn't read.
Last edited by 3fj on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

@Mercurius:

1. It's true that you probably shouldn't do it until you know that the way you're using it is appropriate.
2. Okay, so insult him, but there are plenty of ways to do it without using words that hurt people other than the person you are insulting.

Return to “General”