Halloween (and Othertime) Costume Ideas

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZenBearClaw

Halloween (and Othertime) Costume Ideas

Postby ZenBearClaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 pm UTC

Alright we are all of the geeky type here and I thought I'd share the game I'm having with one of my lab mates.
We are trying to figure out the best geeky Halloween costumes. We are searching for Halloween costume ideas that will make other geeks stop, point and shout: "Ooh Ooh, I get it"

Thus far we haven't gotten too many great ideas.

1st idea:
Dress up as a matress and have "firm" stickers all over you then go around sitting and lying on different things. This would of course be a fermi surface <ouch, I know its a stretch but its the first we came up with>

2nd idea:
If your going out on halloween with a friend you can dress up as the nucleus and electron cloud.

3rd idea:
Also requires a smallish friend. Rig up some sort of harness so that you can hang your friend in front of you oriented perpandicular to you. Your friend's head would be pointing sideways. Then you could walk around the party traveling in straight lines and bouncing off of stuff until someone gets that you are the E & B fields.

4th idea:
Horribly Punny, dress up in an outfit designed to look like the on switch of a cellular tellephone. Then you could travel acoustically as a phonon.

5th idea:
Dress up as some sort of translucent package and have lights hidden in said package (best if the lights bounce around and whatnot) then go around halloween day carrying a surf board. And you would obviously be a Photon. If you wanted to add a more punnish detail you could imply that this logo was incomplete
and thus be a quanta of light

Please someone tell me some more ideas. in the last few minutes I've also thought of dressing up as a Dirac Delta Function or From the comic a Fourier transform of yourself.

It will be a fun game
Join in

Epoch

Postby Epoch » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:42 pm UTC

well a good friend of mine is doing a Shadowrun themed party.

and he's actually going to have a few of us "in character" and actually do a run (food, booze, etc.)

my lady and I are both shadowrunners, and I'm doing the costumes for both.

she is a Street Samurai and will be pumped full of cyberware (prostetics are fun)

I'll be a battle mage and I'm rigging up a contraption with flash paper that will make me look like I'm shooting fireballs out of my hand.

so basically it's a Shadowrun LARP masquerading as a halloween party.

or were you meaning a different kind of geeky?
the mind is an infinite desert in which we may wander, make piles, or dig holes.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm UTC

I do not really have any geeky costumes to contribute to your geeky costume contest (Is it a contest? It should be!), but I did want to let you know that you guys are adorable. Also, I will try to think of some geeky costumes to contribute, so I am not just taking up space here on your wonderful halloween-themed thread.

Sitnaltax

Postby Sitnaltax » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm UTC

Wear a red shirt and pants. Carry a hammer and a sickle (cut the handle off a plastic scythe). Wear a sign around your neck that says "Boo!"...

...And you're the Red Scare. My sister and I have both used this one to great effect.
I will not succumb to evil, unless she's cute.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 pm UTC

Missed the obvious: Raptors.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:16 am UTC

I just had a brilliant idea. Absolutely brilliant. Which means it's probably been done six million times before, but whatever.

Dress up as a sign (a billboard, a sandwich board sign, whatever) and spend the entire night waving at people.

Obviously, you are a sine wave. *rimshot*

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:57 am UTC

Brilliant! I must admit my idea is much more boring. So boring that I'm not going to share it.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

ZenBearClaw

Postby ZenBearClaw » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:56 am UTC

Awesome!
Sine wave and if you have a friend then together you can be co-Sine waves

Red scare is also quite cool.

As for dressing up as a theme: I always wanted to be one of the spider climbers from Bruce Sterlings short storys.

Dinnertime Suggestion:
3 people
1 dressed as a photon
1 as an unstable isotope
1 as a Box
1 cute adorable kitten away from schrodenger's cat

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:03 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Brilliant! I must admit my idea is much more boring. So boring that I'm not going to share it.

Saying that only arouses interest. I must know now!

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:19 am UTC

Having a group of friends dress up as the different Tetris peices is one of the best halloween costume ideas I've heard yet.

You could even stack in the middle of the road! And then when the long peice slipped in the middle, you'd all fall down!
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:25 am UTC

I had a birthday/halloween party last weekend. I was the phantom of the opera. I had wanted a purple latex suit, and thern claim to be the phantom of the opera, but didn't.

What a did also consider but not do was to wear a business suit, halfmask, and cape and carry a briefcas and be the phantom of the office.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Well, if we're talkin' 'geeky', then there's only one solution.

It begins and ends with Bruce Schneier.

Balding hair, beard made of harder stuff than the granite of Mt. Rushmore, and a shirt that says 'Mutha of the Internet', or such.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:45 pm UTC

With a set of Mr. Spock ears and some hinges you could be a logic gate.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:49 pm UTC

Verysillyman wrote:
Ephphatha wrote:Brilliant! I must admit my idea is much more boring. So boring that I'm not going to share it.

Saying that only arouses interest. I must know now!
First idea. I can come dressed as my clone! Dismissed for being boring.

Second idea. Camo shirt. Camo pants. Camo gloves. Camo bandana. Wooden P90. Dismissed for being embarassing, and potentionally hard to pull off if I wanted to stay in character the whole night (this is planned for a costume party).

Third idea. Steal something from this thread. Si(g)ne wave sounds good so far.

starshine_Diva

Postby starshine_Diva » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:04 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Having a group of friends dress up as the different Tetris peices is one of the best halloween costume ideas I've heard yet.

You could even stack in the middle of the road! And then when the long peice slipped in the middle, you'd all fall down!

LOL!!! Love it!! :lol:

You could dress as an Erlenmeyer... or any other lab instrument, but that's probably been done.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:32 pm UTC

I can't quite form this into a proper costume idea, but something about Calvin Klein boxer shorts that have only one surface.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 pm UTC

Dress up as a photon.
Or dress up as a paddles, one of your friends as a white ball, and another friends as a paddle, play pong on the dancefloor.

I admit i stole the original concept from the tetris idea dude, that was awesome :D
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 pm UTC

Since as well as being science geeky we're also in the love with the stuff we used to watch. Goblin King from Labyrinth is something I've always wanted to dress as.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:37 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I can't quite form this into a proper costume idea, but something about Calvin Klein boxer shorts that have only one surface.
...Make a mobius strip ouy of a mini skirt.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 am UTC

ooh that miniskirt sounds good, but uncomfortable, both physically and for the sake of my already suspect manhood :P

As for goblin king, i was going to do that for my party but had a few girls complain that they didn't want me looking too scary. These are girls who don't understand that even though Jareth is scary, he's also the most incredibly sexy thing.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm UTC

If you aren't man enough to wear a skirt, you could make it out of an oversized belt, or an old t-shirt.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:21 pm UTC

Just wear a lab coat and attach 4 red balloons to yourself - instant haemoglobin.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 pm UTC

MightyMouse wrote:Just wear a lab coat and attach 4 red balloons to yourself - instant haemoglobin.

With a little added imagination, green skin and long ears (or whatever the defining goblin feature is...) you could be a haemogoblin!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

ohki

Postby ohki » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:15 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Having a group of friends dress up as the different Tetris peices is one of the best halloween costume ideas I've heard yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2nEaIHkfW6A
Sadly, they never lined up.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:42 pm UTC

not geeky, but my idea that i really want to do is to get a mirror tile and get it cut into the shape of a face with eyeholes so i can go as 'you'
slow down, you move too fast

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 pm UTC

After seeing some of the MIT videos, I want to dress up as the ghost from pac man.

shine_and_shing

Postby shine_and_shing » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:Just wear a lab coat and attach 4 red balloons to yourself - instant haemoglobin.

With a little added imagination, green skin and long ears (or whatever the defining goblin feature is...) you could be a haemogoblin!

Ahahahaha!
That's beautiful!

0. Sunglasses, big fake guns, black pants, boots, and *drum roll* Black leather/vinyl coat with numbers all over it. You'll be... A Matrix! Or get a group and go as matrices. ba dum cha
1. Same vein, "Domi-Matrix". Dominatrix costume, but with numbers... I'm so creative. ahaa.
2. Wear a shirt that says "Google", and walk with a leash attached to someone wearing a shirt that says "youtube". Same thing can be adapted to any corporate consumption that's been going on.
3. MC Hammer.
4. A nihilist. With squirrels. Only xkcd.com readers will understand. It's a great way to alienate people, yay.
5. If you have a ferret, give it airplane wings! And then go as a stick figure= White clothes with appropriate lines drawn. :) Another way to alienate non xkcd.com readers.
6. An ionic James Bond. Get creative with that. Female counterpart would be something creative and sciencey with a bond girl name. Pussygalore and Pola Ivanova... Honey Ryder and Octopussy all seem like ones that would be easy to change, I just can't think of anything.

Kate Sith

Postby Kate Sith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:08 am UTC

My original plan was to be a Snakes on a Plane victim (bites, lei, boarding pass, etc.), but since the only costume-friendly place I'm going to close to Halloween (aside from work, where I'm going to do the Potter cop-out, since I work around food) is Nekocon (Nov. 4th, for the day)...

I have a big teevee box. And some ears and a tail, floating around somewhere.

I could be Schrodinger's Catgirl.

Kate Sith

Postby Kate Sith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:09 am UTC

shine_and_shing wrote:6. An ionic James Bond. Get creative with that. Female counterpart would be something creative and sciencey with a bond girl name. Pussygalore and Pola Ivanova... Honey Ryder and Octopussy all seem like ones that would be easy to change, I just can't think of anything.

Polar Ionova?

hugh50935

Postby hugh50935 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:33 am UTC

Paint your face black, wear black, and dance around to no music as an iPod commercial?

If I could find a stick-on handlebar moustache i'd go as a 1920's cat-burglar.

It'd also be fun to wear a black sheet & mask and be the no-face-monster from Spirited Away.

If i had enough foam + fabric i'd go as a snake-on-a-plane too I spose.

A generic anime character would be fun too.

CptCitrus

Postby CptCitrus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:02 am UTC

Last halloween I wore dressed up as a doctor, stethoscope and labcoat, and sewed red chili peppers all over the labcoat. I was Dr. Pepper.

Its not as creative as some of the others here, but its a pun, and who doesnt love puns.

improbable

Postby improbable » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:04 am UTC

I'm seriously considering being Clippy.

starvingartist

Postby starvingartist » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:18 pm UTC

if i had to dress up as something geeky, i'd borrow my grandfather's spare wheelchair, tilt my head to the side and talk like a robot. voila! stephen hawking. though most people would not understand and they'd probably just feel sorry for me. but i guess that means i'll get pity candy!

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:12 pm UTC

Im going to dress up as mohammed(sp?)

I stole the idea from Diesel sweeties though, yet, controversy is always hillarious.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:24 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I can't quite form this into a proper costume idea, but something about Calvin Klein boxer shorts that have only one surface.

I have seen knitting instructions for a klein toque...

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:31 am UTC

starvingartist wrote:if i had to dress up as something geeky, i'd borrow my grandfather's spare wheelchair, tilt my head to the side and talk like a robot. voila! stephen hawking. though most people would not understand and they'd probably just feel sorry for me. but i guess that means i'll get pity candy!

With a wheelchair, a dark suit, round sunglasses, a cigarette, and a black leather glove for your right hand, you could be doctor Strangelove.

Backlash

Postby Backlash » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:13 pm UTC

dragonfrog wrote:
starvingartist wrote:if i had to dress up as something geeky, i'd borrow my grandfather's spare wheelchair, tilt my head to the side and talk like a robot. voila! stephen hawking. though most people would not understand and they'd probably just feel sorry for me. but i guess that means i'll get pity candy!

With a wheelchair, a dark suit, round sunglasses, a cigarette, and a black leather glove for your right hand, you could be doctor Strangelove.

Or paint your whole body invisible except your right arm and go as Dr Claw. Hmmm.... maybe that one needs more thought.

shine_and_shing

Postby shine_and_shing » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:37 pm UTC

Backlash wrote:
dragonfrog wrote:

Or paint your whole body invisible except your right arm and go as Dr Claw. Hmmm.... maybe that one needs more thought.

I ran out of invisible paint. Or I just can't find it =(

*insert misuse of term here*
Last edited by shine_and_shing on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:52 pm UTC

I really don't think that was a pun.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:56 pm UTC

wear nothing but black, except for a white headmask. Go as a Stickfigure!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Return to “General”