0470: "The End Is Not For A While"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mothrsuperior

Re: "The End is Not for a While"

Postby mothrsuperior » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

The timing of this, (as has been noted previously) is uncanny.
If you'd like to read an awfully good reason that you should not be so content when protesting.
If you'd like to read an awfully good reason to get off your butt and protest.
Check out the Coldsnap Legal Collectives twitter feed, live from the RNC National Convention.
2 parts illegal search and siezure, 1 part inspiring activism.
http://twitter.com/coldsnaplegal

Read it.
Last edited by mothrsuperior on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mothrsuperior

Postby mothrsuperior » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

apologies for double posting, but here are some wonderful excerpts:

6 buses of riot police and two jeeps arriving at Wabasha and Kellogg. Police are going to seal off Wabasha from Kellogg to I-94.
less than 20 seconds ago from web

"vanload of female-bodied people" taken away in unmarked van from 7th & Wall 7 minutes ago from web

2 more arrests @ 5th & Minnesota, horse cops running people over @ Kellogg & Wabasha, cops surrounding ppl @ Kellogg & Sibley 17 minutes ago from web

randolph & shepard surrounded, cops saying they won't let anyone go unless they search everyone. this is illegal. Legal Observers needed there now! about 1 hour ago from web

Rubber bullets and tear gas on Exchange and St. Peter. about 2 hours ago from web

sleepykit

Postby sleepykit » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Having now survived the DNC in Colorado, I'm down with that. Someone really needed to be there with a "Everything's Going to be all Right" picket sign, especially when the (and I'm quoting the Denver Post here) "self-proclaimed anarchists" came through.
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. ~ Gene Roddenberry

le_sacre

Postby le_sacre » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
le_sacre wrote:cf. simpsons, episode 3x02, "mr. lisa goes to washington."

these are the signs carried by the crowds outside the Clinton white house. sigh... those were the days.

Looking at that image reminded me of how excellent xkcd is.

looking at that image reminded me of how excellent the simpsons used to be.

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Y'know what? Next Scientology protest, I'm taking one or both of those signs along.

ACU-LP wrote:I'm sure everyone else will be trying it out now too, but I soooooo have to.

Anyone know of any protests going on in Sydney any time soon? That wont be violent (that is something I wont get involved in)

paragon12321 wrote:Why can't there be a Scientology protest near my house right now? I can carry this signs and wear a Hamburgler mask instead of Guy Fawkes.

Joby wrote:Given what happened yesterday in preparation for the RNC, I dont really have any trouble finding things to be angry and protest about. I just don't live close enough to go.

Parodynamic wrote:I am going to go and actively hunt out a protest to do this.

somethingtoprotest.gif
somethingtoprotest.gif (6.48 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
HTTP/1.1 - 203

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

During the first day of legal gay marriages in San Francisco there was a sanctioned place outside city hall for (mostly fundamentalist) protesters and a separate space for supporters and gay-rights activists. I thought it would be fun to make a sign: "NO SEX BEFORE GAY MARRIAGE!" and see where they put me.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Splarka: We have a [url=http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22741&start=1000}thread[/url] for that stuff...cam on.

This one is awesome because it's four signs, really. LOOOOOVE the alt. text! :-D
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Legend tells of a girl who once lived in my hometown, who would strike you in an instant with her beauty, her bashful acknowledgment of the awkwardness of social situations, and her voice mail message that offered free eye patches. Her name was Ashley Robin Writz (the spelling was something weird like that. Pronounced "writes."), she was an artist of tremendous talent, and she staged the first More Good Than Bad Protest in the parking lot where anti-abortion rallies were usually held. She and her merry band of cohorts festooned themselves in layers of gaudy garb, donned roller skates, and held signs aloft emblazoned with slogans like "I BREAK FOR WHALES!" and "UP YOUR AMOUNT OF DOLPHIN!" As well as many that had nothing to do with cetaceans.

Anyway, I only met her the once, and now she's moved to Hawaii, but recently myself and a friend of mine (who was in attendance at the original MGTB Protest) set about carrying on her legacy, while our plans fell through, we did come up with some awesome mock protest slogans:

"WAKE ME UP WHEN WE GET THERE!"
"MORE DOLLARS MAKES MORE CENTS!"
"DON'T STEAL A BABY!"
"CROWDS ARE PEOPLE TOO!"
"HONK IF YOU LOVE HONKING!"
"READ THIS SIGN!"
"MORE BABY ANIMALS!"
"SAY YES TO NO!"
"KEEP YOUR HOUSES INDOORS! PORCHES!"
"STARFISH FEEL FEELINGS TOO!"
"BE FRIENDLY!"

Now that you're inspired, let's organize and spread our message to the world.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:I'm sure everyone else will be trying it out now too, but I soooooo have to.

Anyone know of any protests going on in Sydney any time soon? That wont be violent (that is something I wont get involved in)

I think "Anonymous" are still having their monthly pickets outside the Church of Scientology. Just remember that paranoid Scientologists may stalkkeep an eye on you if they think you're really part of the protest.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 am UTC

This has got to be the best way of trolling protesters ever.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

unitopian

Postby unitopian » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Look, the latest comics by Randall haven't exactly been my favourites either, not the same humour, but still funny. But Randall is an artist, and like all artists he's bound to go through slumps or change his direction and as an artist I can appreciate that. Still, it it brings to mind a song and If you know this you'd hvae to be an australian with a taste in 90's punk/Indie, it's called 'I like your old stuff better than you're new stuff'.

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:08 am UTC

unitopian wrote:Look, the latest comics by Randall haven't exactly been my favourites either, not the same humour, but still funny. But Randall is an artist, and like all artists he's bound to go through slumps or change his direction and as an artist I can appreciate that. Still, it it brings to mind a song and If you know this you'd hvae to be an australian with a taste in 90's punk/Indie, it's called 'I like your old stuff better than you're new stuff'.

Honestly, there's a form for this. Tch.

Regurgitator hit pretty well with the whole paradox thing; if you liked the song, you didn't agree with its lyrics, but if you agreed with its lyrics you couldn't have liked the song.

Unless, you know, you applied it in the real world, I guess.
Son of a bit!

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Thanks, Randall, I think you're cute, too.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:21 am UTC

DOWN WITH GRAVITY!
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

sock_puppet

Postby sock_puppet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Numerous reports from people being released of people inside being denied medical treatment, those needing it being separated from others about 2 hours ago from web

Arrest tally from Ramsey County Sheriff's Office as of 10:30 p.m.: 284 total; 130 felonies; 51 gross misdemeanors; 103 misdemeanors. about 4 hours ago from web

Code Pink is w/ Mothers Against the War. They're being pushed against Wabasha Bridge by 150 riot cops now. about 6 hours ago from web

Approx. 50 arrested and loaded on bus, including 5 medics on Jackson and 7th. about 9 hours ago from web

Mass arrest currently happening at Upper Landing Park. about 9 hours ago from web

Three legal observers being arrested at mass arrest at Spring & Chestnut. about 9 hours ago from web

Police in riot gear have blocked off downtown St. Paul. Bridges closed, buses shut down. about 9 hours ago from web

Cops threatening to arrest everybody @ river walk - 300+ ppl inc. medics, legal observers, journalists, concertgoers, kids. Tear gas used. about 9 hours ago from web

"vanload of female-bodied people" taken away in unmarked van from 7th & Wall 9 hours ago from web

randolph & shepard surrounded, cops saying they won't let anyone go unless they search everyone. this is illegal. Legal Observers needed there now! about 11 hour ago from web

Rubber bullets and tear gas on Exchange and St. Peter. about 12 hours ago from web

really, nothing?
the technorati would rather rally behind: "I think you're cute" than this?

I, for one, turn in my geek card. I would rather not have it apparently.

ToastyKen

Postby ToastyKen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:24 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

The funny thing is, I totally thought of Mitch Hedberg when I read the title of this comic. I came here to mention that, and I saw your comment. I can imagine his voice saying, "not for.. a WHILE." :)

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 am UTC

ConMan wrote:

I think "Anonymous" are still having their monthly pickets outside the Church of Scientology. Just remember that paranoid Scientologists may stalkkeep an eye on you if they think you're really part of the protest.

Scientologists annoy me anyway. And everyone I know. That includes dangerous Russians (not mafia, but just....well....dont let them near anything that could be considered a weapon. That it includes psychology), a lot of Goths (most are just intimidating, some actually dangerous), people who just downright hate scientologists, etc. Personally, I cant really defend myself if they went after me, so protesting on my own against them might not be a good idea, but with friends....hehehe. So....where is the church of scientology?
But all the same, I wouldnt be contented protesting there.

I just realised how wierd my social group is; nerds, goths, hippie-ish people, sporty people, old, young, etc. Cool.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

unitopian

Postby unitopian » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:22 am UTC

linguistic wrote:Regurgitator hit pretty well with the whole paradox thing; if you liked the song, you didn't agree with its lyrics, but if you agreed with its lyrics you couldn't have liked the song.

Unless, you know, you applied it in the real world, I guess.

Hehe, never said iliked the song, just that it was applicable.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 am UTC

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 am UTC

ConMan wrote:

Yes, we are. I still go along. Great fun. WEAR A MASK.

WE HAVE CAKE

THEY HAVE LIES

WE HAVE CAKE

THEY HAVE LIES
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Actually I just remember that I felt like this at some point this weekend while listening to some politician on NPR, I feel like it was McCain, but it didn't seem at all like something he would say (I was listening tangentially).

Anyway he said something along the lines of "Are you happy with the way thing are right now in this country?" and the crowd ofcourse went "NOOOOO!" and I was thinking "ACTUALLY EVERYTHINGS MOSTLY PRETTY COOL, I MEAN, I LIKE LIVING HERE AND FOR THE MOST PART IT'S PRETTY GREAT! SURE WE HAVE OUR PROBLEMS, BUT OVERALL IT'S A GREAT COUNTRY."
It just seemed like a rather odd question to me.

War = Bad,
Econnomy = dissapointing,
but in general, life is pretty cool.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

HalfWayDownTheStairs wrote:This kind of reminds me of the situation here in London, where it's been made illegal to protest within a mile of the Houses of Parliament, so people have been having tea parties on the lawn outside, waving blank signs. Basically a protest against being banned from protesting. I don't think they've got anywhere, but I they seem to be having a pleasant time.

That is AWESOME. I'd much rather have a tea party than walk around with a heavy sign for hours on end... at least with the tea party, you're still protesting something, but you get cake to go along with it! :D

There was actually a peace rally / protest thing in the town North of mine on Saturday... I didn't go because a) I didn't feel like biking that far on a Saturday morning, and b) if a tiny little protest like that actually brings about peace, I will proceed to eat my shoe.

...of course, I should have, as it turns out they were giving out free beer. Oh well. Win some, lose some.

oblivimous wrote:During the first day of legal gay marriages in San Francisco there was a sanctioned place outside city hall for (mostly fundamentalist) protesters and a separate space for supporters and gay-rights activists. I thought it would be fun to make a sign: "NO SEX BEFORE GAY MARRIAGE!" and see where they put me.

...you, sir or madam, are AWESOME. (Yes, I overuse that word with that emphasis. Blah. You still rawk.)
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

This is hilarious. I need to nab my brother and we need to do this.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I don't really consider The Watchmen series as part of reality canon.
It's more like reality fan fiction.

a reality cannon. how cool would that be? :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Pretty sure when a cannon ball comes speeding at you it's pretty darn real.

P.S. GusPatsy, that was a good story.

billiamo

Postby billiamo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

My friend and I have been planning to do something like this for Mayday every year for the past while, but stuff always got in the way. We were gonna use the X-Men classic "Mutants Go Home!" and various Discordian references, along with anything else entertaining we could think of. "Biafra for Pope!" was my personal favourite,

jspenguin

Postby jspenguin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:SOmetimes when people are talking about abortion, I say I am pro it.
Not pro-life, not pro-choice. Pro-abortion. All women should get abortions whether they want to or not.
Usually they realize I'm joking.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

veiset

Postby veiset » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Last easter, 2500 computer geeks in Norway was demonstrating against some law of some sort.
A lot of hilarious messages to the politicians :D

racoonjwoolsey

Postby racoonjwoolsey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Hey, has anyone actually seen a "The End is Near" sign?

I made one at the end of school.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

WHERE IS THE BATHROOM?

Jex

Postby Jex » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

This would be a bad day to protest in St Paul. I've just been informed that they are short legal observers at the capitol complex, I can't imagine there are enough to make sure your fake protest doesn't result in a beatdown if you are anywhere else.

harkamel

Postby harkamel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Hey, has anyone actually seen a "The End is Near" sign?

I saw one once in a parade in Disney World. He was right in the middle of it and his presence confused us. But we got the joke when another guy appeared at the end of the parade holding a 'The End' sign.

insom

Postby insom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

CECI N'EST PAS UN PANNEAU!

Not really sure on the grammar/"panneau" though, since I don't speak french.
EDIT: Fixed spelling. Thanks King Loser : )
Last edited by insom on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:15 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:08 am UTC

sock_puppet wrote:really, nothing?
the technorati would rather rally behind: "I think you're cute" than this?

I, for one, turn in my geek card. I would rather not have it apparently.

I've gotta say, I agree with this sentiment (although I wholeheartedly disapprove of the use of a sock puppet...)

Maybe I should have a sign that says:

"I DON'T ACTUALLY CARE THAT THE COUNTRY IS GOING TO THE DOGS"

just to make people think. Note that it's a subversion of the comic's principle, since it does say that the country is going to the dogs. (You may insert whatever the specific issue is instead of "going to the dogs," although some issues might start riding the line where the risks associated with making a lot of people very angry at you (because they don't get it) are greater than the benefit of making them think...)
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

insom

Postby insom » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Or what about "I WOULDN'T BE HERE WITHOUT THE MEDIA COVERAGE"
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Eh. People will look at that, maybe laugh a little, and forget about it.

(If you weren't responding to my post, just trying to make a simple joke, please disregard :))
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:59 am UTC

insom wrote:CECI N'EST PAS UN PANNEU!

Not really sure on the grammar/"panneu" though, since I don't speak french.

CECI N'EST PAS UN PANNEAU!

:D
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

S7RR

Postby S7RR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am UTC

This is PERFECT! My school district and my teachers HATE EACHOTHER WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Dear humans, this means. There is a strike, and I am attending. With my Things are pretty okay sign.)

This is EPIC!!!

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:49 am UTC

See, now I want a protest to start...
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

S7RR - pics or it won't happen.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”