0489: "Going West"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

littlesuz13

Re: "Going West" Discussion

Postby littlesuz13 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

This reminds me of how Google gave us directions to go down a road that doesn't exist. Well, it existed at one point maybe 50 years ago. Check it out, search for orange ave in Cincinnati OH. It will show you the location of a supposed road. Used the satellite and take of the road markings. You will notice that no such road exists. We took an adventure one day to check it out. We hiked down through the woods and discovered that at one point a long time ago this road did exists, however that was long before Google was ever dreamed of.
"All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Related to what littlesuz said: The bike path in Somerville used to be train tacks, maybe as recently as the 80s. Google maps still has them labeled that way.

I know it's bs, but it would be nice to be with someone who occasionally believes they know something about fate that you don't know, enough to make you feel secure in something.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

Reading the commentary on "TheGoogle" (which is now corrected, I assume), I feel an urge now to pronounce it "Ze Google" for some reason.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

And in a nice reverse, google directions has Sudley Manor in Virginia perfect, but the satellite images still show just a huge field with trees for some reason.

HPDDJ

Postby HPDDJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
includemaliciousintent wrote:Btw, someone mentioned in the other thread that "Isn't Washington in the East?", if you read carefully, I say "Washington State", refering to the one near Oregon that holds the lovely city of Seattle. Just making sure no one asks that again and gets confused.

What.

There can't be two Washingtons!
Next you're going to say there's a new Mexico.

Ridiculous, and if you think anything else of it, come to Hampshire, I'll fight ye.

twmcneil

Postby twmcneil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Somehow when ever I consider TheGoogle, the phrase "Drink the Kool-Aid" comes to mind.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Reading the commentary on "TheGoogle" (which is now corrected, I assume), I feel an urge now to pronounce it "Ze Google" for some reason.

Used in a sentence: "Ze Googles, zey do nossing!"

Tjencks

Postby Tjencks » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Thegoogle: reference to both Dubya and The Onion article about Google unleashing "TheGoogle" for older people?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... the_google

On topic: I used google for that search... damnit.

RANDALL GET OUT OF MY HEAD! GOOGLE, GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

Don't we all call everything "the" this and that sometimes (often "teh" but "the" too)? I've certainly said "the wikipedeia" before. I mean, yes we're doing it intentionally and for the funnies...maybe Dubya was just tryin' to be hip?

"The secret service guys wouldn't let me wear my new skinny jeans and converse out here today, but they can't stop me putting 'the' before nouns where it doesn't belong."
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

algorerhythms

Postby algorerhythms » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Ah, Google Maps...

<south_park>Zihmah!</south_park>
The nerdy webcomic that I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Nemphael wrote:Speaking of avatars, where does yours lead?

That would be telling.

It leads to MC Esher's house. Duh!

It's a shame Escher died in 1972, because he could have done some freaking awesome duets with MC Hawking. Perhaps the beats could have been provided by archaeolinguist-turned-adventurer-turned-mixmaster D.J. Stargate.

But now I'm flying all over the map with silly references.

jkm

Postby jkm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Wonder how long it will take someone to make contact lenses that have the "we're sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level" message on them. (or some shorter version that would be readable).

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

jkm wrote:Wonder how long it will take someone to make contact lenses that have the "we're sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level" message on them. (or some shorter version that would be readable).

Hopefully, not long at all. I want to make this play out in real life.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

That's a real nice comic. I wish I could do stuff as well as that.

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Related to what littlesuz said: The bike path in Somerville used to be train tacks, maybe as recently as the 80s. Google maps still has them labeled that way.

I thought you were going to say that it used to be a bike path but was converted into a rail system... haha! Well, so much for my plan of getting run over by a train on a bike path, somehow surviving, then suing Google :P
/sarcasm

So... if there were many 'TheGoogle's, and you just wanted to generalize about one, would it be proper to say "A TheGoogle"? It's funny to say... a the a the a the!
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

GeogNerd

Postby GeogNerd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:46 am UTC

As a person who majored in Geography, and use Google Earth and Google Maps alot...THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:07 am UTC

I tried navigating to thegoogle.com. Results were unsatisfactory. This requires action.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 am UTC

So.. Has the comic been altered or am I just not seeing this TheGoogle thing?
For the longest time I thought people were assuming "The" shouldn't be there at all, but grammatically it seems finethat those working on Google Maps to be referred to as "The Google Maps Team". :?

Anyway, a neat gag. Enjoyed it.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:47 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:So.. Has the comic been altered or am I just not seeing this TheGoogle thing?

Sneaky. Looks like he's changed it and inserted a space.
You'll just have to take our word for it that there was no space in the good ol' days.

InstinctSage wrote:...grammatically it seems finethat those working...

Hehe.
Son of a bit!

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I tried navigating to thegoogle.com. Results were unsatisfactory. This requires action.

Agreed. Make the necessary inquiries.
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.

rabuzuShatsu

Postby rabuzuShatsu » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Where do stick figures without clothes hide mail when they hold hands?

irregardles, this wuld make a grat shirt! haha

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

Makes sense if you combine it with traffic light study.

iwillsavethispatient

Postby iwillsavethispatient » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Re: all this "The Google" talk - the full sentence starts "The Google Maps Team..." as in "the team", "which team?", "the google maps team".
I fear you're digging for humor that ain't there. Not that I'm stopping you calling it "The Google" from now on, natch. :)

fransisco4

Postby fransisco4 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

GyRo567 wrote:
moxmallow wrote:TheGoogle sound a little ominous, though I've never really doubted the fact that Google will someday take over the world...

Obligatory link to future history:
http://robinsloan.com/epic/

Is my brain not working well with word patterns if it didn't parse the missing space in theGoogle? (It's otherwise dead from studying, but I thought it was still reading pretty well)

That video is great. Altough the ending made me think of 1984.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 am UTC

iwillsavethispatient wrote:Re: all this "The Google" talk - the full sentence starts "The Google Maps Team..." as in "the team", "which team?", "the google maps team".
I fear you're digging for humor that ain't there. Not that I'm stopping you calling it "The Google" from now on, natch. :)

They were making fun of the fact that in the original version of the comic, the space between the two words was particularly small, making them read like a single word. Randall has a tendency to fix errors in his comic within a few hours of posting them, although it's uncertain whether that's because he reads the discussion threads here (which is possible, since he does reply very rarely - last posted in August, last visited the forums logged in in September) or because people email him the errors. One example is the comic In Popular Culture, and the associated blag post where he actually discusses the error he made.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”