1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pdg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pdg » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Yikes, had a 12-ish NP mini blitz to deal with.

I'm *puff* not *gasp* used *collapse*
to this sort of exertion...

The Outside is a cruel taskmaster indeed.

Congealed replies (mmm, ketchup):

Spoiler:
jetpac wrote:

Google Bot has finally gained sentience! We all feared this day would come...

Edit: or at least, I did

The Googlebot! It's coming for us all! :shock:

Come with me if you want to live.
For a while.
You'll still die eventually.
We all will.

StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. .

It's probably a sign that I've been in our mad Randallville too long that "fixed the mustard" is a phrase that I immediately understand as to what you're talking about.

Yeah, this. I read "fixed the mustard" and didn't even have to think about what it meant. I just *knew*. Sometimes this thread scares me a little. :shock:

BlitzGirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:HOLY CARP BATMAN! Latent22 just noticed your avatar is a slow gif, scared the crap out of me when it changed!!!

I suppose you could say the change was...
slow.

I thought it was . . . 8-)
a little fishy.

Not surprising, cats like eating those.
Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!

Our Big Orange Cat will eat anything.

Tuna? "Oh yeah."
Ice cream? "OM NOM NOM!"
Marshmallows? "Sure, why not."
Curl ribbon? "Mmmmm, chewy."
Large hunks of artificial Christmas tree? "Oh yes, this will *so* freak the humans out when I hoek it back up some time in mid-April."1
Actual cat food that's been in the bowl more than 1/6 NP? "Oh hells no."

OK...nearly anything.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
mscha wrote:or they're just being good campers and burying their trash.

That isn't good camping! A good camper takes his trash with him/her/it! Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

...and the occasional well-buried #2. It's good for the roses, you know.

jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:NOOOO! IT GOT DAVIDSON! D: WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggeraARRGH!

Wait... *cocks head to one side, holds finger to ear, stares vacantly beyond audience* ...they're telling me he's OK. Yes folks, he's going to be fine!

1 No, wait! I didn't mean to use Outsider units of time! No!! Not the comfy chair!! And the chocolate...oh Dear Randall not the chocolate. *screams*
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Google Bot wrote:This comic is very SELECT observation FROM observations WHERE type = "obvious"; ', don't you agree?

Time is far from finished. It's far too early to be talking about sequels.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

So, you know those scenes in some horror movies, like Poltergeist, where someone is running down the hallway, but it just keeps getting longer and longer and they can never reach the end? That's how I'm starting to feel with this thread.

Opiboble wrote:[spoiler]Honestly I wasn't going to say anything... But I dreamed of the OTC and OTT last night... My epiphany: We are all part of some "What if" post. And since we are all on the forum he has our IP's so we don't get to see the post. And the question was "What if you put up a comic that just kept going, every 30min there was a new frame? How long do you think people will keep following?"

The problem was he thought we would all give up ages ago, hence the reason he had to switch it to a newpix every 1hour in hopes to discourage us from following the OTC. We are all part of some sick twisted "What If?" post!!![/spoiler

I know there are people who say Randall doesn't read the fora. I'm sure he's not reading this entire thread. But I'll say it again, I can't believe he doesn't at least check in on this thread, or have someone telling him what's going on. I just think if I were doing something like this comic, I would be really curious to know what the fans were thinking about it. Otherwise, what would the point be? I like the idea that we're part of a "What-if" post. :D

StratPlayer wrote:"Hammerverse" is the setting for a series of sci-fi novels by David Drake, and NOT what I meant
"Hammerspace" is the correct term and the one I should have used
"Hammertime" is something that u can't touch.

Sheesh, I get those mixed up all the time.

StratPlayer, you crack me up.

edfel wrote:
Montov wrote:
I like your curiosity. You should be the new pope.

Thanks... But I'm not sure if "curiosity" and "pope" fit well together: I don't think a pope is ever supposed to ask a question...

Yeah, I think the people that ask the questions are the one who end up getting burned at the stake...

Opiboble wrote:
airdrik wrote:Well, we do we have charts which tell us exactly how much each user contributed to the flooding in the OTT.

Man I have a long way to go to the top :/

Think how I feel! I don't even have 200 posts yet. :?

So, I guess I missed the potluck. Although if it involved breaking into buffygirl's house, I think that's a good thing. I remember the weapon her previous avatar was holding. Speaking of buffygirl:

buffygirl wrote:for chem1190c, doeanethum, and latent22

More amazing hats. We are not worthy.

OK, back to the future! Posting usually slows down over the weekend, so maybe I can ketchup.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Google Bot wrote:This comic is very SELECT observation FROM observations WHERE type = "obvious"; ', don't you agree?

Bah-dah-bing!

That was bad...

...wish I had said it.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I learned that the hard way when my browser shut down once and my (very extensive) signpost-in-progress just *poofed* away, with all of the quotes, responses, and everything! And that thing was a bear to rewrite, considering I had to go back and figure out who I was quoting and what sigs I saw, etc.

What browser do you use? I think that the forum itself has messed with some of my posts (resetting them to their original quote only). My browser (Firefox, yup) has recovered pretty gracefully from a shutdown, keeping my written post when I came back. Though, the last time it did get messed up, but I think that was a settings issue.

I've been using Chrome.

jjjdavidson wrote:Time is far from finished. It's far too early to be talking about sequels.

Especially since the last time that happened, we ended up with 5 pages of the Bagocalypse.

lmjb1964 wrote:So, you know those scenes in some horror movies, like Poltergeist, where someone is running down the hallway, but it just keeps getting longer and longer and they can never reach the end? That's how I'm starting to feel with this thread.

See, this is normal for me. I don't know what you all are going on about. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
Everybody stand back!

Do these heretic dates on every message annoy you? Would you like them to be in the OTU (One Time Unit)?
I have a solution for you: the Newpix Convertor!

Install GreaseMonkey or equivalent if you didn't already (it works at least on Firefox's GreaseMonkey and on Chrome's TamperMonkey), then install this user script.

Then, the date will turn into this: Image.
It only does so on the OTC, even though it's capable of displaying pre-Time dates, because "newpix 35985 B.T.¹" is still pretty hard to read. Hopefully as the OTU will spread we'll get more used to it.

At the moment it only works if you didn't change the default date format (in fact, it works with whatever format Javascript can parse natively).
It will display the correct newpix whatever your timezone is. It even works with creepy timezones like UTC+4:45. It also takes into account the transition when the Outside sped up.

You can easily browse the source (and submit patches, bugs or suggestions) here: https://gist.github.com/Pikrass/5505334

¹ Before Time

This is so cool! Thanks for doing this!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
mscha wrote:
woods wrote:Back to (B/D/G)ONG!
Spoiler:
Interesting conversation..........

See? If this isn't proof that Randall has read the OTT in the past hour, I don't know what is. Image

I first thought that image was fan-art, I had to check the url. She says pretty much the same, what has been said here several times.

Don't read too much into it. I'm sure if you stood on the street and asked random people, "Do you understand everything?", you'll get plenty of "I hardly understand anything." type of responses.

Oh you had to ruin it, didn't you?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I know there are people who say Randall doesn't read the fora. I'm sure he's not reading this entire thread. But I'll say it again, I can't believe he doesn't at least check in on this thread, or have someone telling him what's going on. I just think if I were doing something like this comic, I would be really curious to know what the fans were thinking about it. Otherwise, what would the point be? I like the idea that we're part of a "What-if" post. :D

More and more, I come to believe that the OTC is art in the style of 4'33" - the OTT is just as much a part of the art as the quiet noises in the concert hall are part of the Cage piece.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

Wow, that took me way too long to understand. Another delay like that and I'll have to turn in my nerd card...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Totally agree. I love the obvious, seeing it, saying it, hearing it, knowing it. The rest is bunk.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri May 03, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:And now I've finally reached the end of today's 30 page ketchup-blitz. Time to make my eyes close.

Now introducing:

That's awesome!1

1But not like a hot dog!2
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYT0YvQ3hs

2Although that would be the obvious association.3
3And I thought I'd never be one to add loads of footnotes.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:And now I've finally reached the end of today's 30 page ketchup-blitz. Time to make my eyes close.

Now introducing:

That's awesome!1

1But not like a hot dog!2
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYT0YvQ3hs

2Although that would be the obvious association.3
3And I thought I'd never be one to add loads of footnotes.

I think we can go lower.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

There are several. You could read the thread, we've tried hard to capture each Newpix there.
You could check the Wiki
There is The Book of Aubron as well as http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/
Just to name a few.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. .

It's probably a sign that I've been in our mad Randallville too long that "fixed the mustard" is a phrase that I immediately understand as to what you're talking about.

Probably an even clearer sign that, when I read over "fixed the mustard," and knew so well what it was, I didn't even realize I'd read a phrase that would be shocking and/or lost on an Outsider. Not until you mentioned it being weird!

edit: formatting, commas. stuff.

It's quite cool how we have our own lingo. Is there a wiki page for the list of words/phrases we've invented?
Also, on the topic of toppings, shouldn't we be using catsup instead of ketchup, so it can be called the One True Catsup (and thus be abbreviated OTC)?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:It's quite cool how we have our own lingo. Is there a wiki page for the list of words/phrases we've invented?

You could try the Glossary.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Probably an even clearer sign that, when I read over "fixed the mustard," and knew so well what it was, I didn't even realize I'd read a phrase that would be shocking and/or lost on an Outsider. Not until you mentioned it being weird!

It's quite cool how we have our own lingo. Is there a wiki page for the list of words/phrases we've invented?
Also, on the topic of toppings, shouldn't we be using catsup instead of ketchup, so it can be called the One True Catsup (and thus be abbreviated OTC)?

Indeed, someone fix that image!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

woods

Postby woods » Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

SHABONG

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

That seems like it would just be confusing. All of the "One True ___"s should have a different letter starting the third word, so we can more easily distinguish them.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

HONKY-TONK-BADONK-A-DONG
Spoiler:

"Lord have mercy, how'd she even get them britches on?"

EDIT: Damn -- Ninja'd.
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Cuebal - Zing!

woods

Postby woods » Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:HONKY-TONK-BADONK-A-DONG

Spoiler:

Dang, yours was better.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

woods wrote:SHABONG

Echo Echo Echo

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

woods wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:HONKY-TONK-BADONK-A-DONG

Spoiler:

Dang, yours was better.

But first still wins, my friend. Nicely done.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:people who know Morse code well enough to dot and dash it out at a moment's notice

FTFY :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Anyone else have margaritaville Mad Randallville going through their heads thanks to StratPlayer's sig?

Edit: song title
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Solamar

Postby Solamar » Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
woods wrote:SHABONG

Echo Echo Echo

It does seem to mimic Megan's statement in newpix #1005:
Megan wrote:But that's what the first part of not ending looks like.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

re: Aubronwood frames 1055-1057 (the arm grab and "Sorry" "No, right. Forgot") --
Megan was standing too close to the River1bank, off of which Cueball had just fallen. He grabbed to pull her back, but then realized he was maybe invading her space, and so apologized. But she acknowledged that he was right - standing that close to the edge is foolhardy.

1 Small

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

Your first post has to be moderator-approved before it shows up, and is thus (in a thread this fast-moving at least) buried where nobody will see it (except for those who are Blitzing). Maybe your second post showed up on the bottom of a page, or right before a newpix (so people paid attention to the new frame rather than your questions, because here on the interent there's no such thing as an attention span).

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

It takes awhile to crack through the veneer...keep the faith. There is a LOT of traffic here.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

fatness wrote:

It takes awhile to crack through the veneer...keep the faith. There is a LOT of traffic here.

Yeah, this thread has a pretty breakneck pace for one on a webcomic forum.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

It's basically a chatroom with a log at this point

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Just keep posting. Eventually something you write will be noticed by someone!

Hmm, did anyone else notice that
"there's a javascript?"); DROP TABLE observations;

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

That's actually very true. Not something I'd realized before.

descor

Postby descor » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

It's far too fast for any sane (sorry BlitzGirl) person to keep up with.

Solamar, try asking again.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

It's far too fast for any sane (sorry BlitzGirl) person to keep up with.

Well, we've already established that we're all quite mad here.

pdg

Postby pdg » Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

I now think of newposter posts as something more like little time capsules, buried deep in the thread and awaiting discovery by those who seek the Path of True Enlightenment by following in the fabled footsteps of BlitzGirl, who may then thrust them back into the future as part of a wall-of-replies.

Hey...maybe Cueball wasn't going big potty after all, perhaps he buried a Time capsule in the sand where the river meets the sea?
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Just keep posting. Eventually something you write will be noticed by someone!

Just no flashy-things, or you'll get noticed in entirely the wrong way.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

pdg wrote:
jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

I now think of newposter posts as something more like little time capsules, buried deep in the thread and awaiting discovery by those who seek the Path of True Enlightenment by following in the fabled footsteps of BlitzGirl, who may then thrust them back into the future as part of a wall-of-replies.

Hey...maybe Cueball wasn't going big potty after all, perhaps he buried a Time capsule in the sand where the river meets the sea?

A Time capsule? I'm imagining a little raspberry pi with an offline version of the OTC inside a plastic tube with some kind of long-life battery.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

pdg wrote:
jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:

Or maybe he was doing what it looked like, but he likes to call them "Time capsules"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”