1309: "Infinite Scrolling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chernobyl

Re: 1309: "Infinite Scrolling"

Postby chernobyl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

HoopleDoople wrote:I wish all web pages that use infinite scrolling would do the following:

1) Include a button to convert to a paged form
2) Indicate where each new page starts and give the page number
3) Have a "jump to page" feature

4) Buy me infinite RAM.
Seriously, these pages are the only reason I get "out of memory" errors sometimes.

lazer

Postby lazer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 am UTC

On xkcd, when you click the "random" button a bunch of times and then click "back," you'll be taken back the page you were on before you clicked "random" for the first time. This is annoying, but I understand. 'Show me that thing I was looking at a moment ago' might just be too complicated an idea for the modern web.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 am UTC

lazer wrote:On xkcd, when you click the "random" button a bunch of times and then click "back," you'll be taken back the page you were on before you clicked "random" for the first time. This is annoying, but I understand. 'Show me that thing I was looking at a moment ago' might just be too complicated an idea for the modern web.

If only the random link were delivered with and embedded in the page*, then browsers wouldn't be confused and allowed you to navigate back and forth.

*or computed via javascript if necessary, or possibly even redirected via HTTP 307, just not with a HTTP 302.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:09 am UTC

lazer wrote:On xkcd, when you click the "random" button a bunch of times and then click "back," you'll be taken back the page you were on before you clicked "random" for the first time. This is annoying, but I understand. 'Show me that thing I was looking at a moment ago' might just be too complicated an idea for the modern web.

What browser are you using? Mine remembers each random page individually.

silverpie

Postby silverpie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Even worse variant: combination of infinite scroll with footer controls. Try to use said footer controls, and more content loads to push them off the screen. Yes, I have seen sites that do that.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Guys, practically every infinite-scrolling site also has a pagination option, with links to jump direct to any page. They're right there at the bottom, I don't know how you could miss them.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Darekun

Postby Darekun » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:24 pm UTC

bdag wrote:Is 'right click' -> 'open in a new tab' too cliche?

This :) The title text is right, but not as a side effect, as a fix; send all links to a new tab. (I also use a custom skin that makes the back button bright red, because if it's not greyed out, there has been an error.)

Plautdietsch wrote:As for finding the "next/last" buttons: has anybody come up with keyboard commands that would do that automatically?

NextPlease is a plugin for Firefox that does it pretty well :J The only problem I run into is at the ends, since "last" is used by some sites as "final" and by other sites as "previous".

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Guys, practically every infinite-scrolling site also has a pagination option, with links to jump direct to any page. They're right there at the bottom, I don't know how you could miss them.

But isn't the entire point that the page gets longer when you scroll down, so you can never get to things on the bottom of the page?

Darekun

Postby Darekun » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Guys, practically every infinite-scrolling site also has a pagination option, with links to jump direct to any page. They're right there at the bottom, I don't know how you could miss them.

But isn't the entire point that the page gets longer when you scroll down, so you can never get to things on the bottom of the page?

I think that's the joke :)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 am UTC

Darekun wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

I think that's the joke :)

I still miss non-verbal communication in forums, messengers, letters, articles, chats and similar things. Especially when people don't use smilies :P.

ilyatin

Postby ilyatin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

I must say I have cursed at the lack of "back" functionality in XKCD itself. I do like to sometimes just press the "random" button a few times to get some random comics, however when I pressed random, and I want to go back to the previous comic I was watching a second ago, I go back to the main page instead. I understand this is not easy to fix, I just thought it was ironic to have a comic about it :D
Maybe the main title should add irony to "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language."

This comment does not in any way diminish the awesomeness of XKCD though, I love it with a passion!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

As discussed above, it seems to be your browser's fault for how it interprets the random 'page'. Well, it's not necessarily a mistake, since you do request the same page everytime, only the page redirects to a different comic each time.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:01 am UTC

I was ranting about infinite-scroll this evening and I thought of a better analogy for it: window shades. If Web pages are supposed to be like a scroll, then infinite scrolling is like having a scroll that's spring loaded like a window shade, and snaps shut when you let go purely for the sake of pissing you off.

Cracked had an article, a few years ago, called "5 Things I Can't Believe Websites Are Still Doing" (no I'm not linking it; are you daft? It's Cracked!); I think we're overdue for a sequel.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

By the miracle of gTLDs, endless.horse is a thing.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:By the miracle of gTLDs, endless.horse is a thing.

Some jokes are only funny for a limited amount of time, but that one definitely has legs...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”