The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
gd1 wrote:

It seems they're equal opportunity then. Why isn't this in the news?

Listen to better news.

Senators Marco Rubio and Chris Smith have been making noise about China's repression of Christianity. So has Sen. Ted Cruz, but I think people can be forgiven for not paying much attention to Ted Cruz.

The New York Times reported on the repression of Christian groups back in December. That article noted that the Vatican has been pretty quiet about it due to ongoing negotiations over the Chinese government's role in the appointment of bishops there. (Full disclosure: the exiled bishop of Nanking presided over my Chinese Catholic in-laws' 1959 wedding in New York.)

[Edited to add: Then again, a lot of conservative Christian groups seem to be more focused on stamping out the freedoms of people in the US who are not conservative Christians than they are in protecting the freedoms of Christians elsewhere.]

pogrmman

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby pogrmman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:50 am UTC

I just came across this article about a massacre in Haiti. (Contains somewhat graphic images.) Apparently, it was either executed by corrupt police or by gangs dressed like police (or by ordinary, non-corrupt police). Regardless, it’s not good.

Return to “News & Articles”