1675: "Message in a Bottle"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1675: "Message in a Bottle"

Postby Linux0s » Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

Title Text: I tried to send a message back, but I accidentally hit 'reply all' and now the ocean is clogged with message bottles.

Hey, this one is from a Nigerian Prince.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

badmartialarts

Re: 1675: "Message in a Bottle"

Postby badmartialarts » Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm UTC

Sting sings
I hope that Linkedin gets my...
I hope that Linkedin gets my...
I hope that Linkedin gets my
Message in a bottle...yeah...

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 pm UTC

I started with "Message in bottles are like" to make a witty comparison with something concerning the internet, but "broadcasting packets on a T-mobile network" and "using IP-over-AC" and "using the internet in Australia" don't even come close to the enormous delay and random destination of a message in a bottle.

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

...I KNEW my "unsubscribe" request would eventually be acted upon......

I laughed out loud on this one....Nice one Mr. Randall.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 02, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I started with "Message in bottles are like" to make a witty comparison with something concerning the internet, but "broadcasting packets on a T-mobile network" and "using IP-over-AC" and "using the internet in Australia" don't even come close to the enormous delay and random destination of a message in a bottle.

You got it wrong: the internet isn't an ocean full of currents (although the ocean is most definitely seaish ) . It's a series of tubes.

Then again, when the wind conditions are right, the ocean is totally tubular
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 02, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

...nothing to see here, now, just below...
Last edited by Soupspoon on Mon May 02, 2016 3:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Flumble wrote:I started with "Message in bottles are like" to make a witty comparison with something concerning the internet, but "broadcasting packets on a T-mobile network" and "using IP-over-AC" and "using the internet in Australia" don't even come close to the enormous delay and random destination of a message in a bottle.

Don't forget IP via Avian Carriers, as something else that's not quite so nonoptimal... ;)

That page was linked in the post you quoted :wink:

(Can I be an Avian Carrier?)
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 02, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Don't forget IP via Avian Carriers, as something else that's not quite so nonoptimal... ;)

That page was linked in the post you quoted :wink:
Darnit, I read AC as Alternating Current, thus the link either some sort of bastardised/humorous reversal of Power Over Ethernet or just the actual Powerline LAN thing. I need more sleep. And to doublecheck links... ;)

(Can I be an Avian Carrier?)
Avian Flu Carrier?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon May 02, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

Like sending a letter to "John Smith, United Kingdom"?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 02, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

I saw some documentary many years ago, I forget about what now, but in the story one academic in England corresponded with another in America in the early days of the latter country, and addressed a letter to him as simply "Dr. [whoever], America" and it was properly delivered.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 02, 2016 6:20 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

Oh, like this famous address:

Wood
John
England
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Tue May 03, 2016 4:25 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Darnit, I read AC as Alternating Current, thus the link either some sort of bastardised/humorous reversal of Power Over Ethernet or just the actual Powerline LAN thing. I need more sleep. And to doublecheck links... ;)

Internet over the AC power grid is something which has been subject to serious research: http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2013/1 ... r-line.cfm

kodiac

Postby kodiac » Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 am UTC

You shouldn't send "unsubscribe" message bottles.
They just give the message-bottle-net spammers confirmation that your shoreline address is valid, and may lead to more spam. :)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 am UTC

kodiac wrote:You shouldn't send "unsubscribe" message bottles.
They just give the message-bottle-net spammers confirmation that your shoreline address is valid, and may lead to more spam. :)

(Now that I've had sleep...) Y'all remember the days prior to The Eternal September when, aside from BBSs, mass many-to-many messaging was either automated email lists or Usenet. (Or IRC, of course, but that's a real-time beast.)

List-handling backend scripts would receive messages from subscribers (or potential ones) send on actual contributions to list-members (with varying degrees of check that it was a valid sender), but you could also send meta-messages. First of all putting SUBSCRIBE into the subject and/or as sole contents of the message would (possibly subject to verification) add you to the recipients list as the backend was redistributing non-meta incoming mails, but you could (assuming you were not just a read-only member) assign an ALIAS to your contributions, and as email headers are trivially easy to fake you could/sbould add a PASSWORD or some other authentication details, so that nobody could (trivially) mess with your own account settings or impersonate you. And of course, if you were fed up with what you were receiving, an UNSUBSCRIBE could be sent..

And it worked well, with most people on the internet at that, pre-web, time having a modicum of technical ability and far fewer Nigerian princes with penis enlargements to send to ten people you know, in return for money from Microsoft... (Although, depending upon the list-script's flexibleness, you might find an UNSUSBCRIBE message, sent either in honest but misspelt earnest or as humorous parody, being redistributed to all those concerned.)

And when list-users discovered NNTP, a system where 'subscrption' is controlled entirely at the user's (or user's aggregating system's) end of the process, there was confusion (or humour) to be seen when a newsgroup featured such a broadcast message, often from a heretofor unseen lurker but occasionally a sign (conciously missent or otherwise, depending on the individual) of what these days might be called a quit of rage [hmm, forum filters, not typo, applied to "raegquaat"...]. Or a pretend one, of course. Not that so many people (current company excepted, quite possibly) remember or even still use such off-web/pre-Smartphone App media, these days.

...anyway... It is the almost prehistoric invention of email-lists and their operation that leads, through the era of early web populism (AOL, etc) into making the UNSUBSCRIBE less a thing used to abandon a prior 'thread' of interest and more as a "yes, we're Spam, but a responsible Spam, sorry for having harvested your address", and then re-used by irresponsible Spam to look responsible (but would likely be ignored, or was only a one-time mass-mailing only, anyway, until the next one-time-only illicit use of your email), and from there retasked to first email-bombing of unrelated targets (the faked, but apparent, senders - now receiving UNSUBSCRIBEs, complaints and mail-bounces aplenty) and then the actual address-confirmation process that we have learnt to be wary of in the modern age.

Truly, the world has changed, just within my own (online) lifetime. And much of this is unknown to the younger masses too used to things like Snapchat and Vlogging and Periscope and discovering/creating new (or reinvented or revamped) unintended misapplications of the technology within which they otherwise swim as habituated fish...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 03, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

Message-in-a-bottle routing is kind of what Anycast sounds like it ought to mean. "Here's a packet: just deliver it to someone; I don't care who."
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Oh, like this famous address:

Wood
John
England

Isn't it

Wood
John
Hants.

?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”