RPG Maker MV

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

RPG Maker MV

Postby setzer777 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:21 pm UTC

I've flirted with the idea of getting RPG Maker before, and my interest has been recently re-sparked by learning that MV has scripting in JavaScript, which I am adept with (I don't know any true programming languages).

I've seen a lot of people say that its limitations mean that if you don't want to make something cookie-cutter you're better off using Unity or Game Maker, but does anyone know how true that is of the newest version? I feel like the fact that it's in a language I already know well will let me move past the basics a lot faster than teaching myself something brand new.

To clarify, I'd be making stuff purely for pleasure (and maybe sharing with some friends) - I have zero desire to try to go pro or enter the Indie market.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

commodorejohn

Re: RPG Maker MV

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

I haven't used the development toolset, but the runtime is a pig. I'd avoid it in favor of VX Ace.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

I picked up VX Ace and a bunch of others (XP, 2003, etc) in some sale about a year ago. Did some minor stuff. Never did scripting, but it's all based in Ruby.

And while I know scripting can be useful, based on a lot of what I read in /r/rpgmaker on reddit, scripts are like tile sets in that they're fonts - that is to say that yes, the perfect one can add tons to what you are making and turn it in to something memorable and unique......

But holy shit create something first. The base engine is more than capable at doing 70-90% of what you're going to do anyway. Either build your game around a handful of scripts, or don't worry about it until you're almost done making most of the game. It's way, way too easy to spend hours or even days perusing your options and then getting frustrated that you feel like you've spent a lot of time but have nothing done.

Build first. Then figure out the rest. And no, mapmaking and a vague story outline don't count as building.

I also really recommend making - in my case it was a haunted house - that has an ending. Handful of maps, handful of items, monsters, etc. something meant to be played and beaten in less than two hours, if not less than an hour.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm UTC

Yeah, any scripting would probably be focused on the combat system, which I hear is fairly generic and restrictive in most RPG Maker versions if you don't use plugins.

Definitely gonna aim for making stuff with discrete episodes or other small chunks so I can have concrete short term goals.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:13 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:I've flirted with the idea of getting RPG Maker before, and my interest has been recently re-sparked by learning that MV has scripting in JavaScript, which I am adept with (I don't know any true programming languages).

I've seen a lot of people say that its limitations mean that if you don't want to make something cookie-cutter you're better off using Unity or Game Maker, but does anyone know how true that is of the newest version? I feel like the fact that it's in a language I already know well will let me move past the basics a lot faster than teaching myself something brand new.

To clarify, I'd be making stuff purely for pleasure (and maybe sharing with some friends) - I have zero desire to try to go pro or enter the Indie market.

RPG Maker and Unity are in entirely different leagues. Unity is extremely powerful, but has a significant learning curve. It's probably not a good starting point.

RPG Maker is perfectly fine for getting a little experience. Pick nice, small bite sized chunks, and develop away. It's not about the particular goal, it's about getting some practice, and developing those skills. No substitute for hands on experience.

Return to “Gaming”