Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm UTC

Here's a link to the game, the game itself and the rules, are simple enough:

https://www.coolmathgames.com/0-cyber-tank

I'm well and truly stuck on level 23 - if you start playing, it shouldn't take you too long to come and join me :)

Please ..... please .... PLEASE ..... someone come and join me and more importantly, suss out how to complete it.

The following will make no sense until you get to level 23:

I can get up to the blue bar, but can't work out where to make the holes to get through.
I've sussed that you can only make 2 holes in the bar, as you need the remaining 3 blocks to get to the top .... but this isn't helping.

Someone help me PLEASE :)

SuicideJunkie
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

It would be easier and more immediate if you summarize the rules and give a map of the level. Useful for those at work too.
It would also future-proof the context.

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 pm UTC

Okay, so I got to stage 23... and I'm also stumped. I can get the upper two cubes into the water to form bridges, and I can get all the lower cubes up to it, and I can't figure out what's up from there.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm UTC

For anyone else trying, it may be worth noting
Spoiler:
that the cannons can only fire one at a time, and have a particular sequence in which they check whether you're in line of fire, so you can ride the conveyor past one close up if another one further away shoots at you first.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:It would be easier and more immediate if you summarize the rules and give a map of the level. Useful for those at work too.
It would also future-proof the context.


Image

You're the tank at the bottom of the screen and your goal is to collect the 3 crystals and get to the green cross at the top, whilst avoiding being shot by the cannons on the right.
You can move up, down, left and right, but if you're in a line of fire of a cannon, you'll be shot. You can hide behind the pink blocks and these can be moved by shooting at them.
The pink reflectors in the corners, reflect your shot, so for example, if you turn your tank to the right and shoot, your shot will hit the bottom right reflector, reflect off at 90 degrees and go up to the top right reflector, then across to the top left .... etc.
To cross through the blue bar, you need to use one of the pink blocks to punch a hole in it. When you punch a hole in it, the block disappears.
When you're facing a particular direction and want to turn to another direction, you will move 1 square in that direction.

It's really awkward to try and explain and visualise - much easier to play the game, but I hope this explanation may help??

I can get to the blue bar with 3 blocks, but cannot work out how to get through without being shot :(

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:44 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:It would be easier and more immediate if you summarize the rules and give a map of the level. Useful for those at work too.
It would also future-proof the context.

Level23.png


Drive the blue tank (bottom centre) to the green exit cross (top centre).

Pale blue squares in a bar across the level are water and your tank can't swim.

The boxes with the four-way arrows move away from you if you shoot them and can be used to make a causeway through the water.

Shots will bounce off the pink diagonal mirrors in the corners if you hit them from in front. They'll move if you hit them from behind.

The things up the right side are enemy cannons. They'll shoot you dead if you go in front of them. They can be destroyed by shooting them in the face through a white "X" thing not seen in this level or with the assistance of a mirror. They can also be tricked into shooting other things. They can be moved by shooting them from any other angle. Pushing them into water will drown them.

Grey Xs in corners are just solid walls.

Tumbly cubes are things you pick up along the way to prove you're cool.

There's also ice, along which you slide, and thin ice, which is ice that turns into water after a single use.

In some levels there are rotatable mirrors, and some have conveyor belts fast enough to take you past a cannon. Conveyor belts don't move boxes.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

Ninja'd. :roll:

If I fire to the left on the second row up, I'll knock that box from near the exit one space right. If I keep doing that then fire to the left on the bottom row, I'll knock it down one space and block the topmost cannon's line of fire. If I keep shooting along the bottom row, I'll knock that box down into the canal, forming a crossing point. Then I could shoot the other box in the upper part of the screen to move it into the second row down and repeat the process to get it across that crossing onto the lower part, where I could use it as a blocker to protect me from cannons.

By shooting the boxes in the lower half over to the right, towards the cannons, I put them where I can shoot down on the left side of the screen to knock them upwards, and then I can creep along behind them.

I think I'll need at least two in the canal to let me get across it, though. That's going to be tricky.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:53 pm UTC

Image

This is where I get to ... then I'm stumped.
I can make the bridge either 2 squares in from the left (as in the piccie), or 2 squares in from the right and the other one anywhere else I wish .... but all options seem to end up with me getting shot :(

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Sableagle wrote:Ninja'd. :roll:

If I fire to the left on the second row up, I'll knock that box from near the exit one space right. If I keep doing that then fire to the left on the bottom row, I'll knock it down one space and block the topmost cannon's line of fire. If I keep shooting along the bottom row, I'll knock that box down into the canal, forming a crossing point. Then I could shoot the other box in the upper part of the screen to move it into the second row down and repeat the process to get it across that crossing onto the lower part, where I could use it as a blocker to protect me from cannons.

By shooting the boxes in the lower half over to the right, towards the cannons, I put them where I can shoot down on the left side of the screen to knock them upwards, and then I can creep along behind them.

I think I'll need at least two in the canal to let me get across it, though. That's going to be tricky.



Yyyyyep!


Level23s.png


At that point I had them out of sync with the bridge and had to swap the blockers over to be able to stand on my bridge on the left side and shoot downwards twice to knock the blocker from a row below me to a row above me. Made it!


Level24.png
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 pm UTC

Congrats on making it - but I don't fully understand :(

I need 3 blocks to move up, so how did you do it with only 2 ??

When I have 2 blocks, the block I need to shoot up, is the last block down, so when I shoot that block, I get shot by a cannon (if that makes sense).
The only way I could get round this, would be if I could rotate my tank on a square, without it moving down 1 square.
Could you please elaborate??

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 pm UTC

This thread does not show up in New Posts or Your Posts for no obvious reason.

Click on an occupied tile, e.g. the corner mirror, to face that way without moving.

Here are 28 and 29:

Spoiler:
Level28.png


Level29.png


28: ummmmm ... oh yeah. Clickety done.

29: ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what if ... no ... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Click on an occupied tile, e.g. the corner mirror, to face that way without moving.


This is the key to completing this level - you need this trick, as every time I turned round, I kept moving.

I'm on level 29 at the mo. I've managed to get to the bottom left hand exit, but I need to pick up the 3rd crystal in the bottom right hand corner, which I can't suss out yet :(

rmsgrey
Posts: 3406
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:This thread does not show up in New Posts or Your Posts for no obvious reason.


Yeah, there's something up with Your Posts, where it only occasionally updates the list of threads you've posted in - give it a month or two and this thread should show up (possibly much sooner - I've no idea what triggers the refresh).

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

After emailing the game creators, asking for tips, they replied informing me that "as it wasn't the most obvious thing", they added the following to the game instructions:

Stuck on the later levels? You can turn your tank without moving it by clicking on a blocked-off square.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:55 am UTC

All 42 levels completed - I just need to figure out how to complete level 29 and pick up all 3 crystals ..... the one in the bottom right hand corner eludes me :(

Anyone managed it ??

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Sableagle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:03 pm UTC

I think I've got 29 sussed.

Spoiler:
Shoot your way out, shoot a box from the top into the water to the left of the lower of the two rows that make the "island" in the middle, drive across it to the conveyor belt, acquire cube, move left, shoot a box out, shoot it round via the island onto the box in the water, drive back round onto the end of the conveyor belt and shoot it once to block the cannon, repeat this on the other side so both cannons are blocked, use the remaining box to cross the RH half of the canal onto the mass of conveyors and get carried to the right. Be stopped by your box and exit conveyors onto right side of lower part of map. Drive round edge of conveyors to reach the north-south conveyor pair and go down (*) and back up them again and again to cause cannons to the right to shoot the cannons on the left over to the edge of the map ...


... but as soon as I get to the (*) the game hangs up on me with a bolt in midair.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:... but as soon as I get to the (*) the game hangs up on me with a bolt in midair.


I get exactly the same. I've emailed the game creators, so let's hope they fix it.

I use all 5 boxes to get across, so I need another blocker so I can get down to last crystal in bottom right hand corner - can you reach it, 'cos it looks like you're doing it same way as me??

Tirear
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Tirear » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:I use all 5 boxes to get across, so I need another blocker so I can get down to last crystal in bottom right hand corner - can you reach it, 'cos it looks like you're doing it same way as me??

You should only need four of the boxes to cross the river. That leaves one box and two downward facing cannons to block the three cannons near the last crystal (or you can use just the box to block the appropriate conveyer belt so that you can sneak across the bottom of the map).

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 pm UTC

Tirear wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:I use all 5 boxes to get across, so I need another blocker so I can get down to last crystal in bottom right hand corner - can you reach it, 'cos it looks like you're doing it same way as me??

You should only need four of the boxes to cross the river. That leaves one box and two downward facing cannons to block the three cannons near the last crystal (or you can use just the box to block the appropriate conveyer belt so that you can sneak across the bottom of the map).


Could you please explain how you use only 4 boxes to cross the river??

Box 1 makes a bridge on the left hand side of the river.
Box 2 goes across this bridge, onto the conveyor belt and you then go back round, above it and push it down one square, to stop the left hand cannon shooting you.
Use box 3 and 4 in the same as above, on the right hand side.
You then need another box to use as a bridge in the middle of the river.

By the way, the bug has been fixed, so it no longer crashes :)

Tirear
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Tirear » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 am UTC

Moonbeam wrote:Could you please explain how you use only 4 boxes to cross the river??

Box 1 makes a bridge on the left hand side of the river.
Box 2 goes across this bridge, onto the conveyor belt and you then go back round, above it and push it down one square, to stop the left hand cannon shooting you.
Use box 3 and 4 in the same as above, on the right hand side.
You then need another box to use as a bridge in the middle of the river.

Instead of using two boxes to block off the right turret, you can put one box at the end of the conveyer belt so that you can step exactly where your Box 2 goes. This causes the left turret to destroy the right one. Afterwords you have to push the box off to the side, either in the corner of the cubby or in the water, so that you'll have room to maneuver your Box 2 into position. One more box makes a bridge in the middle of the river, and you're left with one box to handle the bottom portion of the map.

User avatar
Moonbeam
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Cyber Tank - please help !!!!

Postby Moonbeam » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:01 am UTC

Tirear wrote:Instead of using two boxes to block off the right turret, you can put one box at the end of the conveyer belt so that you can step exactly where your Box 2 goes. This causes the left turret to destroy the right one. Afterwords you have to push the box off to the side, either in the corner of the cubby or in the water, so that you'll have room to maneuver your Box 2 into position. One more box makes a bridge in the middle of the river, and you're left with one box to handle the bottom portion of the map.


Sussed it now thanks - all levels completed with all crystals :)
I'd kinda sussed that I needed to make the turrets shoot each other, but couldn't figure out how.
Cheers for the help :)


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests