Coding for Kids

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

bradjenkins

Coding for Kids

Postby bradjenkins » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am UTC

Hi All, I have a 6 year old daughter. I hate to sound like a pushy parent, but I've heard that coding in the new skill for kids' future.
Is 6 too young to get started? What's the best way to learn at that age?

Appreciate any guidance!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: Coding for Kids

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm UTC

If you aren't being pushy (keep it fun and something the kid wants to try, not a chore-to-be-done because "you must learn how to code!") then six isn't too young.

I'd avoid anything that needs loads of typing (at least until/unless typing is mature enough to be not frustrating when needing to be accurate and free of typos, and then there's still "thinkos" like missing vital punctuation/brackets) but you might look into Scratch on (or off?) the Raspberry Pi which is quite powerful, with the ability to read/write data inputs/outputs and even (however you see it) process forking or OO:

There are other such building-block languages (literally?) and platforms (I've yet to get my hands on a BBC Micro:bit but if you can then it's maybe worth a look), but the other opportunities in a Pi seem to make it versatile enough that what little you spend on it won't go to waste if you daughter can't/won't code yet/ever, and 'forces' you to turn it into a media-server or something else for which there's various pre-prepared builds for.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 pm UTC

There are also a few board games that are pre-coding, like Robot Turtles. We don't know if they work.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

frenchdev

Postby frenchdev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:27 pm UTC

Hi, I also have a six year old child.
He liked the coding Google Doodle https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-50-years-of-kids-coding
There are several websites that offer similar things to learn the basics of coding

badaza

Postby badaza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:21 pm UTC

I'm not such a fan of Scratch: it's too free-form for me. I prefer something like Tynker where I have clear objectives that get progressively more complex.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 pm UTC

badaza wrote:I'm not such a fan of Scratch: it's too free-form for me. I prefer something like Tynker where I have clear objectives that get progressively more complex.

That site looks great!

Thanks for pointing it out :)

badaza

Postby badaza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

No problem! For older kids (or adults), Code Combat can be fun too. It requires typing the commands out, though.

Tynker has tablet apps and the iOS one works just fine on my iPad 2 (the 7-year old model, not a newer one).

Return to “Coding”