2057: "Internal Monologues"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Heimhenge

Re: 2057: "Internal Monologues"

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:All conifers sucked. I believe the best odds were with some type of ash.

Wow, not ever-vertical, fairly narrow birch?

Been awhile, but I think birch [edit from beech] was also up there. Thing is, we're talking about hitting through a tree ... not between them. Narrow?
Last edited by Heimhenge on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 pm UTC

Does it tell you if it is extremely easy, or maybe extremely difficult, to pass through an ironwood if you've only got a putter?

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:All conifers sucked. I believe the best odds were with some type of ash.

Wow, not ever-vertical, fairly narrow birch?

Been awhile, but I think birch [edit from beech] was also up there. Thing is, we're talking about hitting through a tree ... not between them. Narrow?

OH. I thought you meant like through a generalized region of trees that intersected the course or shot. Hitting through a treed zone as opposed to hitting through the branchington region of of single tree. 'Made me think that the narrow nature of birch trunks would make balls intersect them less.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:I've had that physics monologue. When I was a young kid I distinctly recall the first time my uncle gave me some magnets to play with, and how amazed I was that they affected each other w/o actually touching. Some time during my physics education it dawned on me that gravity does the same thing, even though I'd taken that for granted for a long time. Not like it really changed anything conceptually for me, but it somehow made gravity equally amazing and mysterious.

Magnets are weirder because the forces aren't even close to linear which is what we are used to. (Now, before everyone flames me about gravity being 1/r^2, it is nearly constant in day-to-day life here on the surface and constant is linear.)

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Architect: "Why. Why would someone put a wall there. why."
Architect's client: "Why. Why did they put a wall there. why."

True story - Boehringer Ingelheim has a large office near me which I've had occasion to be in. The hallways are along the outside, and the offices are along the inside of the building, and the hallways are lined with windows so that everyone walking around can enjoy the view of the gorgeous campus. The windows are in two parts - top and bottom, with a sash in the middle, which hits right at horizon level.

WHY?????

Jose

The architect was a very short person and hates tall people.

Hekateras

Postby Hekateras » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm UTC

I'm somewhat irritated that "plants get their biomass through photosynthesis" is considered to be this field-specific botany knowledge. Not only because "sourced from x = made of x" is incredibly flimsy logic, but because it fails to follow that flimsy logic to the entertaining conclusion. Plants are the main primary producers in any food chain (and where it's not plants, it's photosynthetic algae or the like), so any carbon atom we eat was in a plant far more recently than it was in the air. That is, if "trees are made of air", then "ALL higher life is made of air".

Anyway, some more botanist internal monologues from me:

"I can't get over the fact that the roots and leaves of some trees are so genetically distinct they may as well be separate individuals." https://www.nature.com/news/tree-s-leaves-genetically-different-from-its-roots-1.11156

"I can't get over the fact that the oldest known organism is a clonal aspen colony that's 80 million years old" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

"I can't believe plants independently developed the same broad-scale mechanism for innate immunity and non-self-recognition as animals did" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathogen-associated_molecular_pattern

"I can't believe the parasite causing malaria probably used to be a peaceful photosynthetic creature at some point" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicoplast

(Is the last one botany knowledge? The lines get really blurred once you delve into the evolutionary origin of plants and other photosynthetic organisms.)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 am UTC

Hekateras wrote:I'm somewhat irritated that "plants get their biomass through photosynthesis" is considered to be this field-specific botany knowledge.

Yes, "made of" does not mean the same as "made from", but the comic doesn't appear to be saying "this is some secret knowledge that only people in this field have" but rather "this is something that people in this field are much more likely to spend time musing about". People are aware that plants are made from air, but they don't think about it, let alone how strange it might be.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 am UTC

Hekateras wrote:"I can't get over the fact that the roots and leaves of some trees are so genetically distinct they may as well be separate individuals." https://www.nature.com/news/tree-s-leaves-genetically-different-from-its-roots-1.11156

"I can't get over the fact that the oldest known organism is a clonal aspen colony that's 80 million years old" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

The combination of these two things is especially crazy. A huge field of trees can be more clearly the same organism than parts of the same individual tree? :shock:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”