ACT Writing Test

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mark_Cangila

ACT Writing Test

Postby Mark_Cangila » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm UTC

I just got my ACT and I did well on the composite (35). However, I did awfully on the writing test (5/12). I think it's because of my handwriting. Do you guys think I can go into a good college thru my writing test being carried by a composite (note: I am a freshman). Also, what can I do to improve my handwriting day of? I can't write neatly in 40 minutes normally.

freezeblade

Re: ACT Writing Test

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

No thoughts on the "can I get into a good college" point, but for improving handwriting the key is to just practice. My major (Architecture) has a tendency to force all-caps block lettering into our skulls, via endless pages of mindless letter forming sheets. As much as everyone bitches about writing up 3 pages of the letter "A" It certainly seems to work, as everyone ends up with lettering that is pretty close to to the following forms
Spoiler:

Nobody likes doing lettering practice, but perhaps find a personal style that you like and can be done quickly. If your hand is getting tired, it's possible you're holding your pen too hard, or using an "incorrect" grip
Spoiler:

The "correct" grip is the dynamic tripod. Personally I can never get used to it, and am a "dynamic quadrupod" gripper. I do tire after a bit of writing though.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “School”