2138: "Wanna see the code?"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quizatzhaderac

2138: "Wanna see the code?"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm UTC

Title text: And because if you just leave it there, it's going to start contaminating things downstream even if no one touches it directly.

I'm picturing being a 12 year-old boy and being approached b a creepy homeless guy asking if I want to see the code.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

cellocgw

Re: 2138: "Wanna see the code?"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm UTC

Followed by the movie, "Weekend at Systemd's"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:09 pm UTC

So what's really being asked is "would you mind peer-reviewing my code?"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:So what's really being asked is "would you mind peer-reviewing my code?"

Exactly.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 pm UTC

I'm struggling to understand the last line. It sounds like she's saying that everyone who isn't him creates more problems then they solve, which I guess makes them less hostile to the guy who's code is like a dead body?

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:I'm struggling to understand the last line. It sounds like she's saying that everyone who isn't him creates more problems then they solve, which I guess makes them less hostile to the guy who's code is like a dead body?
Computers: a way to take three hours to do a three minute job in three seconds.

What the last line is saying is that not everything is improved by automation, especially when the automation does not take into account the inevitable edge cases that, when ignored, create more problems than the automation solves.

And of course, bad automation is like bad typing:

"How fast can you type?"
"Fifteen mistakes per minute!"

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 pm UTC

Killing him would be creating a dead body. Fortunately for him, people understand that while it might solve some problems, it would cause even more.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:I'm struggling to understand the last line. It sounds like she's saying that everyone who isn't him creates more problems then they solve, which I guess makes them less hostile to the guy who's code is like a dead body?

I was confused about that as well, but explainxkcd cleared it up for me. The antecedent for "they" in "the people around you understand that they create more problems than they solve" is not the "the people", it is Cueball's code and dead bodies. So that line could be rewritten:

Ponytail could have wrote:And because you're lucky that the people around you understand that your code and dead bodies create more problems than they solve.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”