0411: "Techno"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Scaraba

Re: "Techno" Discussion

Postby Scaraba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Ooh! Ooh! I do!!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Ryoji Ikeda makes cool techno/minimal/glitch music that sounds like the inside of a processor. And here's a cool video.

Notch

Postby Notch » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 am UTC

dabigkid wrote:"Noise" haha.

Seriously, that's a real genre, and of the four artists I linked, both Venetian Snares and Autechre get dangerously close to it at points.

[edit:]

Although, I should point out that I hate using genres, because it always ends up in posts like the one I just made.
Call it what you want, I'll call it "electronic music", or "electronica".

Hanyou Hottie

Postby Hanyou Hottie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

If you wanna hear some nice ambient/minimalist glitch, while playing a very cool game, you should check out Knytt Stories. You could almost call it a casual game, except that it gets quite hard in some parts. The author, Nifflas, has a couple other similar games on his site there too.

And @Dark Ragnarok: Yeah, I've found that I've started listening to a huge range of electronic music lately. My favorite types would have to be Psytrance and Goa Trance (I love the psychedelic sound), Acid Trance (and the acid sound), Progressive Trance, some Anthem/Uplifting Trance, Jungle/D&B, Breakcore/Drill & Bass (whatever you want to call it, The Flashbulb is fucking god), Big Beat, Funky/Acid/Chemical Breaks, French House, Hardcore, and most recently, Speedcore, Old/Nu Gabber, and Hardstyle. Oddly enough I don't really like much plain old Techno, just everything else. :lol:

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

To all of you who took this opportunity to post links to good / interesting / both techno... thank you, I was hoping for that when I browsed for this thread. :mrgreen:
(Also: I'm all about electronica, but I still laughed.)
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

choginga

Postby choginga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Scaraba wrote: there is this kiwi band called Shapeshifter which really is an interesting piece of work.

Yeah, they are a bit of an institution here. They were famous for energetic live sets with a real drummer but lately their sets have been rambling reggae noodlings that make you wait for it to kick into high gear. It never happens. Electric dreams is a cool track by them tho. It sounds like 80s pop in drum and bass form. As far as genre pushing New Zealand drum and bass goes, the album Nobody's Out There by the Upbeats is intense. It has a corresponding story in the booklet which is also illustrated. One of the songs is the moon singing to a boy on a cloud. The video for Thinking Cap is on youtube if you search for it. It has some next level animation.

Kleppner

Postby Kleppner » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Don't know if anyone posted this yet but...
Daft Hands?
I bring you...

DAFT BODIES!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYD_-A_X5E

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:24 am UTC

dubsola wrote:Ryoji Ikeda makes cool techno/minimal/glitch music that sounds like the inside of a processor. And here's a cool video.

That made me think of hindustani (although, I'm not sure that they're really ever in any other type of music) tabla playing. Is that intentional, or have I just looked too much into things?
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

There are a lot of brilliant Techno albums/EPs out there. Aphex Twin, for one, is some kind of IDM God.

"Einstein On The Beach". Now THAT is repetitive. It's actually an Opera by Philip Glass. It is good, brilliant in fact, but it can go on and on seemingly forever. "Train 1" is 21 minutes long, but it seems to take even longer. It is good, but really, really repetitive.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

I'm just going to further note, that one of the **BEST** if not the **BEST** place to get all good sources of electronica and other various underground music is Soul Seek!

It's essential along with Beatport

Glad to see other people enjoy good music. Also to Hanyou Hottie, I forgot to mention the other trance styles. At least Goa, Psychedelic, and Uplifting. The various houses I have not actually delve into, although I have heard of them. When it comes to electronica in general I go by artists more so than genre. So as long as it sounds awesome, whether it's Stone in Focus by Aphex Twin, or Bad Boy by m1dy.

Ugh lately I been on a fucking crazy trance frenzy.... So much.... Eargasm...

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 am UTC

So I *finally* (I got sick) got around to tracking down the broken hard drive track. (Heh, puns.) I can't listen to it for more than a few seconds. Too many times I've heard the sound a failing hard drive, and had to deal with the consequences. Ugh. Makes me shudder. I think I've been in IT too long.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Kougaiji

Postby Kougaiji » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 am UTC

If you want to hear a damn good track, listen to John O' Callaghan - Big Sky (Agnelly & Nelson Remix). Naturally, theres an intro, but once the song gets started, it's just so euphoric. You have no idea how the people at edm clubs reacts when they hear it, everyone just releases themselves.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Awesome artist! (As I already know him).

Also I'm going to suggest too look up any song by Mike Foyle. Some of the note worthy one's are "Love Dusk Theme" and "Shipwrecked".

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Namaps wrote:
dubsola wrote:Ryoji Ikeda makes cool techno/minimal/glitch music that sounds like the inside of a processor. And here's a cool video.

That made me think of hindustani (although, I'm not sure that they're really ever in any other type of music) tabla playing. Is that intentional, or have I just looked too much into things?

I doubt it's intentional, but you never know. I've never read an interview with him, and so have no information either way.

It could just be 'percussion is percussion' and one kind (bleeps as percussion) reminds you of another (tablas).

XCKDRocks

Postby XCKDRocks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Didn't care for this comic. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the music genre, and shows the artist has never truly listened to it.

You could say the same thing about country music if one didn't know much about it.

Wow, it's the first unfunny and unintelligent xkcd i've ever read.

My sentiments exactly. Totally ignorant.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Looks like Randall hit a soft spot here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NIIIIICCCEEE

Keep em coming.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:38 am UTC

XCKDRocks wrote:Didn't care for this comic. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the music genre, and shows the artist has never truly listened to it.

Someone needs a sense of humor injection, stat!

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

michaelb

Postby michaelb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

I made an account just to spout off this rant, which makes me feel small inside...

DragonHawk wrote:
XCKDRocks wrote:Didn't care for this comic. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the music genre, and shows the artist has never truly listened to it.

Well, I hate to admit, but I didn't exactly like this comic that much either. And it's not because I don't have a sense of humor. I understand that a lot of electronic music falls prey to being repetitive (trance is a notable offender in this respect, but some genres of older house aren't particularly varied also), but I suspect that techno wasn't the genre Randall was really intending to criticize. Though, to be perfectly honest, I've left my mind-reading cap in the other room, so I can't be sure -- but referring to any music primarily composed through electronic means as techno is a common "mistake". Had it been referencing something like "trance" or pop big beat, then I would be perfectly sated. (I have "mistake" in quotes to indicate the general futility of definition because of the fluidity of language. Wow, that last sentence makes me sound even more like a douche...)

So, to quote Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:"Techno" is also commonly confused with generalized descriptors, such as electronic music and dance music.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even like the term "electronic music" very much, just because it's not very useful. The "subgenres" are too varied to make that classification worth anything, and the definition is too vague to actually distinguish anything (how much electronics is required to be involved in the production process for it to be considered a genre of electronic music? Many genres traditionally associated with electronic music contain non-sampled acoustic instruments (atmospheric Drum n Bass often contains this, for example). Also, most every genre nowadays uses electronics in at least some part of the production process.)
Last edited by michaelb on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XilDarkz

Postby XilDarkz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

For all of you freaking out about how bad the comic is, put it in a different perspective. What if the humor here is not the girl's decision, but the guy's saying that? Double entendre much?
krynd wrote:
Kleppner wrote:I...
love you.

I second that emotion!

genewitch

Postby genewitch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

For the record, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who call all "electronic music" techno.

Rap is techno? Some of Danny Elfman's scores are techno? All pop music is techno?

And on the first page i saw people saying that they liked techno, and not one person linked a techno song. I couldn't even bear to read the rest of the pages, knowing full well that this is the general consensus of the world.

Electronic Music is the Science Fiction of the Musical Genres. It can be, and has been, everything you've ever heard and will hear. (read).

I'm not really upset with the comic, just the fact i thought people on these forums would be slightly smarter than to just lump ALL electronic music into the label of "techno".

Every song with an electric guitar MUST be heavy metal. Every song with a violin MUST be Baroque. right? Every song with a whiny singer MUST be EMO!

This gives me heartburn. DI.com
Ishkur.com

Expand your knowledge a bit. I think you'll be surprised as to what is "techno" and what isn't.

For the record, the alt text alludes to a style of electronic music called "glitch"; it also could be found in "IDM" which is "intelligent dance music" which is a misnomer, because it's neither Intelligent, Danceable, nor music.

It's a pet peeve because i write various forms of electronic music, but i do not write techno. And i hate it when my music gets called techno.

Blah. whatever.
Every genre ever can be done as electronic music. And probably has been. Switched on to Bach, anyone?
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic

hagger

Postby hagger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:

I have a sense of humour, but I'm sorry to say that this joke left me cold, and not because I like "techno". I don't particularly. However, the joke itself was just so... unoriginal. I've seen it made in so many forms, so many times, and I just feel that Randall could have tried to make it sound a bit fresher.

Yes, some types of music are incredibly repetitive, and its certainly not isolated to one genre. Fine. Please, do take the piss out of it. However, just take the piss effectively and amusingly, in a way which makes people think. This just seemed like a cheap shot made in an unoriginal way.

Thats my thoughts anyway. Meh.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

hagger wrote:... the joke itself was just so... unoriginal.

Well, I think that's a more reasonable criticism. A lot of the people complaining are basically saying "That's not true! That's not true! Randall clearly doesn't know what he's talking about!" Jokes don't have to be true, they just have to be funny. That's what I was responding to. And frankly, I think the protests smack a lot of someone injured from something hitting a little too close to home.

Going back to the originality question: As the saying goes, "There is nothing new under the sun". (I think that's been said before. ;-) ) I didn't LOL at the comic, but I did smile. Certainly the "techno is repetitive" (semantic purists: bite me) joke has been done plenty of times, but the iTunes bit was new (to me, at least). And for every human, there's going to be a first time they encounter a particular joke. Maybe this was that time for somebody.

To quote Asimov, "When is a joke an old chestnut? When you've heard it before. And when is an old chestnut funny? When you haven't heard it before."

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

I'm going to get stoned for this, but when I read the comic, I laughed out loud when I replaced techno with Daft Punk.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Wow... I'm sorry but the level of drama present in this thread I thought was only possible in my 15 year-old cousin's Myspace bulletins.

Max Chaplin

Postby Max Chaplin » Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Quit bitching, Techno fanboys. There is no mocking in the comic. It's you who perceive Randall's notion of Techno's repetitiveness as an insult.

About the Idea - Well, I've already considered the option of releasing electronic tracks as a group of loops and one-shots to be mixed in Sony Acid, similarly to model airplanes and such, but I guess most DJ's and listeners would consider the mixing process a burden.

deathbybowtie wrote:I'm curious to hear this broken-hard-drive techno, anyone got a link?

Sure.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2007.shtml
See what's on 1st place?

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHNwQ_Y ... re=related
And here's another, with a creepy video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwdOLBJU ... re=related

theta4

Postby theta4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Don't hate me, but this is about as ignorant as saying "wait, you're buying music on iTunes? yeah. so? couldn't you just loop the 15 second sample 20 times and get the same thing?" i understand that the comic is poking fun at the repetititititive nature of electronic music, but edm changes quite a bit. It only sounds repetitive because there are no lyrics to be different throughout the whole song. Electronic music with lyrics doesn't sound as repetitive, I don't think. Look up a song by Mo-Do.

I'm willing to bet that half of the people that claim Techno isn't repetitive are anthem trancers. For an example of anthem trance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQuzeaANqM cheezy stuff :(

Pop music also has verses and choruses going for it. A "normal" song might go "Verse I > Chorus > Verse 2 > Chorus > Verse 3 > Bridge > Chorus > Chorus" or something similar. Most edm doesn't get more complicated than "Buildup > Breakdown > Anthem > Close". Also, I think the "oontz oontz oontz" nature of edm contributes to its repetitivity.

I just thought I'd point that out. Don't shoot me or anything...please. :mrgreen:

But XKCD is still funny. It will always be funny...well, I hope so.

p.s. Astral Projection FTW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBBC8j2S6M

Xyros

Postby Xyros » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:10 am UTC

I always thought schranz techno was what a dying hard drive sounded like. Repetitive and minimal. Also, one of my favourite genres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZd2ka1Wgg

Also, this is Techno. Mechanical, minimal, and androgynous. Exactally what Randell's talking about. (Though House and Trance could work to...Hmmm...)
Tantum aliquid quisnam est bardus insisto alius.

felipead

Postby felipead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:50 am UTC

I'm a really big fan of Randall. However, reading this comic showed me how ignorant he is in terms of music.

First of all, as some have already corrected, techno is *NOT* a synoum of electronic dance music. What do you think techno is? Daft Punk? David Guetta? Infected Mushroom? That awful pop dance music that plays in the radio or clubs? Well, none of this is techno. And it's far beyond it.

Randall's ignorance on the subject is evidenced when he states that techno music could been bought on iTunes. True and quality techno music would never been found there. Only that crappy mainstream dance/trance/house music.

Randall, and many of you, must know the true UNDERGROUND electronic dance music scene. Rock and metal is good, but quality electronic music is better than anything else. Unfortunately, you must dig really deep, because there's so much crap out there that makes this kind of music really difficult to find - like diamonds in the mud. But once you find those diamonds, they are definitely worth it.

Long live to the UNDERGROUND!

Note: As genewitch trully stated, "(Quality) Electronic Music is the Science Fiction of the Musical Genres."
Note: I've no problem with repetitions. If the repeated sound is really good and it doesn't stands for too long... then repetition is awesome. And I love details...
Note: SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH.

felipead

Postby felipead » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:07 am UTC

^^^
...And you must listen to quality electronic dance music in a good sound system too. You can't enjoy any instrumental music on laptop speakers or cheap headphones (which are reasonable only for the human voice and mid-range frequencies).

This is one of the reasons, I think, that makes (underground) techno so unpopular. If you play a techno track and a rock tune on a very cheap sound system, the techno track will be horrible (and terribly boring) to listen, but the rock tune will still be enjoyable (because the voices and guitars are on mid-range frequencies).

True techno is the only kind of music that really explores all frequencies of the audible spectrum.

Note: I think underground electronic music will be more popular in a distant future, where sound systems would be really good, cheap and small.

felipead

Postby felipead » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 am UTC

I would recommend for everyone the legendary Goa Mix, by Paul Oakenfold. A masterpiece made in 1994, fifteen years ago. It's not techno, it's trance (goa, acid).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Mix

Part 2 is my favorite. You can easily download it on e-mule or other P2P platform.

Monimonika

Postby Monimonika » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:51 am UTC

In case anyone is still interested:

The Odeo links to the Dying Hitachi Hard Drive tracks are back up! Downloading is possible!

http://gizmodo.com/151666/hard-drive-dy ... ack-winner

:mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”