Weather Balloon Flight

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

McBain

Weather Balloon Flight

Postby McBain » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

I know I am new here, so I hope none of you mind my insane ramblings, but I've wondered about this for a long time and just have to ask.

We've all heard rumors of people strapping helium weather balloons to a lawn chair or some other harness in order to achieve flight, and despite the nay-saying of A FEW TV personalities, simple searches on video sites seem to confirm the validity of this strange type of flight. Despite these pieces of evidence for or against, my question is this...

How plausible would it be to make a sort of helium balloon jump-harness, capable of aiding an average-sized human being to jump to greater, almost moon-like heights or distances? In order to figure this out, we obviously need to know how much upward force these helium balloons can provide, and of course, if it is plausible to have enough balloons to provide the pull without making a huge mess of things. How much upward force would you need to provide in order to make almost "low gravity" jumps? Is it even possible?

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Re: Weather Balloon Flight

Postby J Spade » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

Gravity on the moon is, I think, 1/6 that of Earth. So you need to get enough balloons to lift 5/6 of your weight. Gym weights would work for calibration. To me it sounds plausible for a short time before the balloons are hit by wind.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

I'd need about 100 cubic metres of helium to cancel my weight, so let's say about 50 to have some sweet ass hops.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Klotz wrote:I'd need about 100 cubic metres of helium to cancel my weight, so let's say about 50 to have some sweet ass-hops.

Fixed. Also, I want to point out that this is possibly one of the more awesome ideas that I have heard.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

I suppose that one would jump up faster than the balloons would rise, causing slack in the ropes. You might begin to fall before the balloons could help to lift you.

McBain

Postby McBain » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I suppose that one would jump up faster than the balloons would rise, causing slack in the ropes. You might begin to fall before the balloons could help to lift you.

I suppose this is true, but it could probably be worked around. I mean, the balloons ARE constantly pulling up, I don't know if a jump would be a jerky enough movement to screw it up. Mind you, I'm also thinking of a kind of "moon jump" effect here, so once again I don't know if it would cause too much of a problem. I'm just trying to see if this idea is viable, because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. So far, it seems like it would work, so long as there wasn't a lot of wind.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Or use the wind to your advantage, like sailing.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Maybe a giant balloon backpack?

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 am UTC

could you also use hydrogen for a slightly smaller, if mind-blowingly dangerous rig?
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

Indon

Postby Indon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Can they make useful balloons out of vacuum? Like, just a very strong shell that contains nothing in it?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

ATCG

Postby ATCG » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:03 am UTC

McBain wrote:We've all heard rumors of people strapping helium weather balloons to a lawn chair or some other harness in order to achieve flight, and despite the nay-saying of A FEW TV personalities, simple searches on video sites seem to confirm the validity of this strange type of flight.

The late. great Larry Walters was the first to pull this off in 1982. By sheer coincidence, an admirer of Walters made a 235-mile flight of his own over the weekend.
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

fishrap

Postby fishrap » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:08 am UTC

I'm thinking hydrogen filled weather balloons and a rock climbing harness. Anyone know if there's a chance of getting electrocuted if you get dragged into powerlines? I'm not worried about explosions, seeing as the hydrogen will be outside, away all type o fire and stuff. It's twice as cheap as helium, and a quarter more buoyant. But vacuum shells would be the most awesome--durable and reusable!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Vacuum does not float. (I think)

That is all.

Thisisnotausername

Postby Thisisnotausername » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Except for the part where the shell is heavier than what it would take to contain helium.

I can just picture it now: madmen running down a tarmac with goggles on, lead capsules containing vacuums being dragged along by balloon string. That would most surely make my day :D
Random832 wrote:Superman in particular probably had a chance to try those skills on farm animals first....

om617

Postby om617 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Vacuum could theoretically float, if it's container weighed less than the air it displaced. There is no known material that could produce anything like such a container, of course.
The lady on the right is CONSTITUTION running with all canvas set.

alexh123456789

Postby alexh123456789 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:Vacuum does not float. (I think)

That is all.

Theres nothing intrinsic about air that makes it float, it's just that helium displaces more weight in air then it weighs itself, kind of like metal boats floating in water. If it were possible to make, a very light balloon with a vaccum inside would have the most lift.

Return to “Science”