Guitar Elitists Club

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aaron123

Guitar Elitists Club

Postby Aaron123 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Do you remember walking through school, seeing the kid with the acoustic strum three chords, and everyone would crowd around him?!--whereas you're busting your butt off trying to get down "Surfing with the Alien" perfectly and wailing on that six-string in a way that would make angels cry from your beautiful melodies? Look no further--this thread's for you!

Surely I can't be the only guitar "virtuoso" here! I've been playing for 4 years--and am currently honing my skill of knowing the fretboard up and down through the 7 modes. A great resource I've found for inspiration is Mr. Fastfinger (http://www.guitarshredshow.com), as well as some of Paul Gilbert's work.

Any other guitar deities here?
Last edited by Aaron123 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a webcomic too--Check it out!: Peeping Tom Comics

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Guitar Elitists Club

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am UTC

Likening oneself to a 'god' might be a bit of a strong term here, but I would regard myself as the 'ultimate cumulative supreme deity' of guitar playing.

I also play the noseflute to a similarly savant level.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Likening oneself to a 'god' might be a bit of a strong term here, but I would regard myself as the 'ultimate cumulative supreme deity' of guitar playing.

I also play the noseflute to a similarly savant level.

What a coincidence! I play a flute through a strange orifice aswell!

Well, I do like guitar alot-been playing for 2 years at Christmas-and for my standard grade I've decided to play Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold... I almost have it nailed, just 2 bars in the solo throw me off every time... damn...

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Not a diety yet. Can shread. Can double hand tap, etc etc. I play in an augmented tuning (EADGCF), because it makes more sense as I do not want to play huge chords. I play power chords and two notes simultaniously (I can't remember it's name).

I am able to play in many styles, which I prefer to be my main point rather than "Hay guys, check out this fast arpeggio!" But then again, there are times for that too :D

I'm getting there though. I would classify my playing as level 6, but my ear isn't too well developed.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Being a virtuoso != Being a guitar god in my humble opinion.

I can play rather fast (and don't get me wrong, it's useful and a lot of fun), but my interest in technique is having a solid base to do what I want, not just do SHURREDING.

Sometimes a song needs one note being repeated for 4 minutes, and sometimes it needs extreme (!) sweep (!) picking (!)
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Aaron123

Postby Aaron123 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Being a virtuoso != Being a guitar god in my humble opinion.

I can play rather fast (and don't get me wrong, it's useful and a lot of fun), but my interest in technique is having a solid base to do what I want, not just do SHURREDING.

Sometimes a song needs one note being repeated for 4 minutes, and sometimes it needs extreme (!) sweep (!) picking (!)
Of course. I believe that great music needs a delicate mixture of the two--simplicity and virtuosity. In my case, I hear so much (comparatively) simple music on mainstream sources that listening to Satriani is like a jolt of lightning to my senses.
I've got a webcomic too--Check it out!: Peeping Tom Comics

ArchAngel1024

Postby ArchAngel1024 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Guitar for four years (I think), and I almost strictly play my own material, due mostly to my inability to learn others music from pages (if I figure it out I'll remember it though). I do play bits and pieces of other players music, but that's a all for the most part.

I do very little sweeps, and most of my playing is scales and chords (power, standard, open and diatonics). I'm very good with blues-rock style playing and shredding (no arpeggios sadly, I can't get my hands to work that way for some reason). I've been working on memorizing the notes to frets while playing (changing keys and saying it out loud). I've been working on playing other genres, and mixing it (I'm a heavy prog fan).

Another thing that I've started doing to play is thinking of a theme or story (I was thinking of someone at war in the desert earlier, for example) to help tell a story.

I also play some violin and a little piano.
<Sk8t> dude, Life is the hardest MMORPG out there, but don't quit, as you won't get to make another character

In IRC I'm Ace_of_Knaves now

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

I fail at guitar, so I don't think I should be posting here.

Anyway I've been playing for about three years (methinks?). I can play basically anything really slow if given three days to practice, and I'm don't really know the names of types of scales (on guitar), I can only name notes and chords (on guitar). I fingerpick but I could probably learn how to use a pick really slowly given about two months practice. I play mostly acoustic stuff because I use an acoustic guitar (though it doesn't really matter what guitar I use or what songs I can play on the guitar, as long as the notes stay below 23 frets).

I was going to say more but I forgot.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

ArchAngel1024 wrote:
I also play some violin and a little piano.

Yeah! Violin and piano are awesomeness! Unfortunatley, when I was playing piano before, someone from my church heard me and said that I should play for the church-that would've been alright-if they'd said it to me... so I got roped in, but it's actually quite fun.
And I have an orchestral weekend next week, so that'll be fun. (Violin for the win)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

Youtube your 'greatest hits'

And for the love of sweet Regina's fajina, switch off comments.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Jackpot wrote:Not a diety yet. Can shread. Can double hand tap, etc etc. I play in an augmented tuning (EADGCF), because it makes more sense as I do not want to play huge chords. I play power chords and two notes simultaniously (I can't remember it's name).

not sure if this has been answered but you're looking for dyads

also, elitist reporting in

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Ive been playing for a year and half but im extremely lazy
Im learning Smoke Two Joints by Sublime right now
(yea yea easy blah blah blah blah, but it sounds nice)
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Yayayay, I finally nailed it! [/jump-for-joy]

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Personally I don't find shredding to be interesting. Artist like Joe Satriani are, for the most part, extremely boring to me. People get far too caught up on technical excellence rather than writing good, enjoyable music, and so their songs come across as technical exercises more than anything else. Sometimes good music is technically complex, sometimes it isn't. Being technically proficient on the guitar is great, because it means that you can play whatever it is you want to play without your lack of skill getting in the way. But, in most songs, being able to sweep pick or play insanely fast won't improve the music at all. Much of the music that affects me most deeply is music that I could play on the guitar without much difficulty, and though I've been playing for about six years, I've never really focused on training my technique. Being a good guitarist, I think, is much more about having a strong melodic base, and the ability to play music that sounds good, not necessarily music that sounds difficult.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:04 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Personally I don't find shredding to be interesting. Artist like Joe Satriani are, for the most part, extremely boring to me. People get far too caught up on technical excellence rather than writing good, enjoyable music, and so their songs come across as technical exercises more than anything else. Sometimes good music is technically complex, sometimes it isn't. Being technically proficient on the guitar is great, because it means that you can play whatever it is you want to play without your lack of skill getting in the way. But, in most songs, being able to sweep pick or play insanely fast won't improve the music at all. Much of the music that affects me most deeply is music that I could play on the guitar without much difficulty, and though I've been playing for about six years, I've never really focused on training my technique. Being a good guitarist, I think, is much more about having a strong melodic base, and the ability to play music that sounds good, not necessarily music that sounds difficult.

That's a very true point-and is strong to me aswell. But, one of the main reasons I play guitar is because the style of music that really gets to me, just happens not to be constant shredding, but stuff like Alternative RQock/Metal, which is occasionally shredding, but mostly the artists sit and think about what they're doing-I mean, for This Song, a huge amount of thought went into is. I just think that when people think of difficult music, people instantly think of people like Dragonforce of Metallica, or people like Satriani and Vai, but to me it's not. To me a good artist is someone who can do lots of different types of music, but still keep it their own style. I mean, here is The Same Band doing Beast and the Harlot-another amazing song, but a different style-that's where complex music is great-it can be implemented in a small amount lkike this song, to make the song amazing.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I've been playing for around 8 - 10 years, I like to jam. I don't believe in the exhibitionism of it all, if you're playing by yourself, great, go wild. But there's nothing worse than an overhyped guitar player taking away from everyone else in the band just to wank out a solo that probably doesn't sound right anyway.

Mostly into jazz, blues and traditional sessions.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:30 am UTC

ive also got 10 years under my guitar-strap.. im also %100 self taught...
i play anything that sounds good... wether it be Blues, Southern Rock, Metal.... whatever i feel like when i pick up the guitar.

but when it comes to challenging my ability to play ... the money has got to go to John Petrucci... he can play fast but when he does its so clean and you can hear every note... yet he also has alot of emotion and feeling in his music too, check out Glasgow Kiss ...

@theamazingrando

if you know how to use sweeps properlly and dont do them too fast or too slow... they can add a very nice smooth arp into a piece... trust me .. they can sound amazing when not overused or badly used.

@Raiku

i honestly coulden't agree more with that point ... and Avenged are one of the best artists for use as an example.
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 am UTC

I've heard sweeps used in incredible ways before, and there are definitely places where they belong, but there are plenty of genres, and certainly plenty of songs, that are better off without them.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Ahoy.

Been playing about 5 years. Fairly comfortable with most of the various tricks/techniques etc, just need to work on accuracy/cleanliness of it all.

Re the technique vs. soul debate: Used to be firmly 'shred/tapping is wank' (and i still think a good deal of what you're likely to hear/be subjected to is) but eventually mellowed on that when I discovered the guitarists who know how to do it properly. Still difficult to find decent tapping, but I find Satriani just about (just about!) manages to keep it tasteful a lot of the time.
As far as sweep picking, I didn't appreciate the technique 'till I decided to learn Hanger 18. I know it's a cliche, but it's a great song for bettering your technique 'cause it does have just about everything short of tapping, and the progression from solo to solo is on a superb learning curve. Damn near perfect practice song.
Also, anyone here a fan of Uli Jon Roth? I'll be the first to say he's a terrible singer, but he's classically trained and uses his technique only exactly when needed. He hits just the right balance of 'dizzamn! this guy's shit-hot' and his playing fitting the mood of the song. HIs arpeggio's are arpeggio's, not sweeps, if you get what I'm trying to say. Give the solos to Cast Away Your Chains a listen. Like I said, rubbish singer, so go straight ahead to 1:27-2:20 and 3:30-end. It's from Electric Sun's "Firewind" album. The self-titled also has excellent playing too.

On the other end of the scale, I'm with ya on disliking it when a guitarist just uses their band as a glorified backing track to noodle over. I'm all about the soul and mood and unity of vision. Anyone here familiar with Plankton? They're these 5 guys from Sweden who came out of nowhere and started making... bawb knows what you'd call it. They're retro in the sense that they take old recognisable classic rock 'formulas' (i dunno how best to describe what I'm getting at, hopefully you're catching my drift), but they spice it up in the most inventive, nuanced, original ways and dip into most kinds of style under the sun. They continue the Pink Floyd ethos of being the difference between 5 guys playing the same song and 5 guys being the same song. And they have the twin guitar thing going on a la Wishbone Ash, plus both guitarists are equally astonishing. (Oh, there's no 'shredding', tapping, or distracting techniques by the way. They can play fast, but it's kept to the appropriate moments).
First album was basically new takes on the formulas, done super-well. Pickadoll is a decent example. Not revolutionary, but very fun.
Second album shows more attention to song structure, more inventiveness. Give Fleetwood a listen.
Third album... is a paradigm shift in guitar playing (and 'rock' music in general). I cannot conceivably get across what the songs on this album are like. So fuck description, here's Cosmic Bridge. Oh, and this nicely demonstrates their drummer, who is utterly boblike on this track.

I know the folk on xkcd are not your usual bunch, but I'm so used to being on sites where 99% of links go unignored (btw, Raiku, Avenged Sevenfold are the type of band I usually dismiss offhand, but I'll admit the guitar in Beast & The Harlot is pretty sweet. And ShaKri, I've always found myself listening to Petrucci's hyper-tappy/shreddy stuff and found it entirely offputting. but Glasgow Kiss was fucking amazing. thanks for opening my ears to that!) that I still feel I have to pre-empt that with a disclaimer of sorts: If you don't have the time, skip Pickadoll and Fleetwood. But Cosmic Bridge really deserves a listen. It is transcendent. I can't name anything that even sounds close to this track, let alone any other tracks on that album (with the exception of a short acoustic number). In any case, I would quite happily devour some headwear (with gusto!) if you prove me wrong and introduce me to more music which sounds anything like this.

For a bunch of self-proclaimed guitar elitists, there's a distint lack of pimping of favourite, underrated, underappreciated, unsung guitar hero's in this thread. Come on, share the love!

Also: The Hellecasters are three guys who play the hell out of their telecasters. They were all hugely skilled session musicians, confident in an arseload of different styles, and then they formed a group. Inspector Gadget is super-cool. KInda Django-gypsy style on this.
And a shout-out to Buck Dharma of the Blue Oyster Cult who is also hugely underrated.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am UTC

I forget where I heard it, but I read somewhere that the guitarist from Avenged Sevenfold plays with a mute under his strings during solos, meaning he can play sloppily but none of the unfretted strings he hits will make any noise. The guy is pretty damn good, but he's hardly a guitar god.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:01 am UTC

I have a big problem with unwanted string noise too, and after 5 years, trying to recondition my hands to be more noise-considerate about that is tricky as hell. Frustrating too. But using a non-organic mute, that's kind of cheating. There's an unwritten law about that sort of thing isn't there?
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:I have a big problem with unwanted string noise too, and after 5 years, trying to recondition my hands to be more noise-considerate about that is tricky as hell. Frustrating too. But using a non-organic mute, that's kind of cheating. There's an unwritten law about that sort of thing isn't there?

The laws are made to be broken. :D Just once you know them before breaking them, then it's no big deal.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

I dunno that I'm that great, but I've been playing for like 4 years, and most anyone playing for a long period of time is normally alright. I can play guitar to my standards, and it serves my purposes well. I can't sweep, but I can tap quite well and solo decently. I use it more for composition than anything.
Honestly, I'm better at general music than I am at guitar. Playing in 4/4 at this point is a total bore, and pretty much all of my stuff is in 7/8, 12/8, or 15/8.
And another thing: Am I the only guitarist that doesn't like 30 gallons of distortion on my guitar? I really hate it when people are like, "I AM FANTASTIC", and they sweep or shred or something, and then they're useless on an acoustic.
So I'm not a god at guitar, just pretty good.

But man, on bass, bow down. I AM THE MASTER.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:And another thing: Am I the only guitarist that doesn't like 30 gallons of distortion on my guitar? I really hate it when people are like, "I AM FANTASTIC", and they sweep or shred or something, and then they're useless on an acoustic.

I live in a pretty tiny flat so I don't get to use my acoustic often... I miss it. I like a bit of overdrive on my electric though, not a massive fan of piles of distortion.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

@SkaBassist

i use the Boss MT-2 distortion pedal... and it gives the best sounding distortion ever... its enough to be metal as fuck... but not so that you cant hear the notes being played.

BUT... give me an acoustic and i'll hit out Elevation Music, Klimbim and Rylynn (well.. untill those tapped harmonics... i can't do them yet... but i have put my efforts to the eclec)...

im also known to hit out the Bards song by Blind Guardian... and Greensleves (although its not quite correct as i play it slightly simpler... it was the first song i ever figured out on my own ... and i didn't go out and learn how to play it properly).

but yeah... i do like my distortion pedal lol.

EDIT:
i must say tho... once you get past a skill level on bass... it stops sounding boring and starts sounding the sex... (like John Myuung or Gustavo Dalfarra
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

MisterSteve

Postby MisterSteve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 am UTC

Been playing for around 8 years now. Quite depressing really, when I started out I got pretty good pretty quickly, and got into all that Satriani/Vai stuff, pretty much nailed most of it. However, I also play drums, so I've concentrated a lot more on that, and only rarely go back to my guitar, meaning that every time I go back I just get annoyed that I'm not as good as I was, which makes me play even less. My left hand just doesn't move fast enough any more.

To listen to, I prefer well written songs and lovely music, don't listen to shredders much as it's just annoying. It's good to try to play though. If I could play like Buckethead I'd want everyone else to hear it too.

Bass I am the daddy. I remember first listening to Primus and thinking "I will never be that good", but it is done, and frankly I am happy about this. It's fun to know your way around a bass, you cannot but look totally tits. Also, it seems that you can have a while away from bass and never forget a thing. I suppose it's because it relies less on dexterity, more on natural rhythm.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

I play the guitar but... I suck. Similarly to what other people, bass is my thing

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:28 am UTC

*Raises hand unsteadily*
I've been playing for a good number of months now, which sort of pales in comparison to some of the people in this thread, but I at least feel competent in my ability to learn something and get it down quickly. I do like to dick around with the chords and such, but i'm really interested in a nice early rock or blues-ish sound. Vague, I know, but I don't really stick to a genre. One day i'll be attempting Johnny B. Goode, the next i'll be banging through War Pigs.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:11 am UTC

ShaKri wrote:ive also got 10 years under my guitar-strap.. im also %100 self taught...
i play anything that sounds good... wether it be Blues, Southern Rock, Metal.... whatever i feel like when i pick up the guitar.

but when it comes to challenging my ability to play ... the money has got to go to John Petrucci... he can play fast but when he does its so clean and you can hear every note... yet he also has alot of emotion and feeling in his music too, check out Glasgow Kiss ...

g3 2005 is one of my guitar playing bibles.

fleahorse

Postby fleahorse » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote: I'm better at general music than I am at guitar. Playing in 4/4 at this point is a total bore, and pretty much all of my stuff is in 7/8, 12/8, or 15/8.

15/8, hmm can u give an example of a song that uses this timing, i am interested

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

fleahorse wrote:
SkaBassist wrote: I'm better at general music than I am at guitar. Playing in 4/4 at this point is a total bore, and pretty much all of my stuff is in 7/8, 12/8, or 15/8.

15/8, hmm can u give an example of a song that uses this timing, i am interested

i think there's a dream theater song that is like that. might be some parts in "the glass prison". but it's basically 15 8th notes

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

In no way do I belong to this club. The fact that I can play the Decemberists poorly after playing with a guitar for like a minute does not matter. What matters is the spread of the piano-virus the "knuckle song." As a self-proclaimed piano "virtuoso", the sound of that song not only makes me want to destroy the person's hand, but the instrument as well, such that it never again shall be cursed to bear the endless repetition of the horrible, horrible* song. All of it must die. This has led me to coin the phrase, "Pianos are like babies. If you abuse them they will be taken away." Also, anyone good at guitar makes me insanely jealous to the point where I will adamantly deny that they have any talent because I am a horrible, horrible* person.
*I am not very creative.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:21 am UTC

i'm better at bass. Need to get better at improvising but i can handle myself at slap and have pretty fast hands (plucking and traversing the neck). can't double-tap--on bass it's pretty ridiculous. i envy victor wooten so much that I almost hate him--but I can definitely hold myself up though. I have a 'band' (technically we started last friday. and didn't actually play a complete song. and it's me and three guitarists) where two of the guitars are really good, one is pretty good... I'd feel inadequate except (luckily) i'm the only one who has classical music training, plus i have a really good ear. so i can figure stuff out. and be like "errr no i think it's D-C-B-G#" and have them go "umwut." which is good.

i desperately want a 24-fret bass. Preferably a fivestring. But one of thems is like 1000$. Which means I need 998$.

edit: been playing for what, 3? 4 years?
uhhhh fuck.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:And another thing: Am I the only guitarist that doesn't like 30 gallons of distortion on my guitar? I really hate it when people are like, "I AM FANTASTIC", and they sweep or shred or something, and then they're useless on an acoustic.
I would like to point out that I don't think of acoustic and electric guitars as the same instrument. I can get by on acoustic, but I'm far better on electric (clean or distorted) because they generally play so differently.

I don't play acoustic stuff often. I'm a metal guitarist, but I diverge into blues, rock, jazz, funk and just plain bizarre.

RE: Topic

I play mostly highly technical riffs, but simplistic solos. Fast, but simple. Stick to minor, phrygian, blues, pentatonic minor and major, and a touch of dorian for blues stuff. I do dislike being overlooked because I tend not to sweep pick or whatever. I prefer string skipping arpeggios to be honest. They require a touch more skill, a more delicate touch, and if you can move fast enough with huge stretches, can sound so much better than the equivalent sweep.

But what would I know? I've only been playing 3 years.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Been playing for about ten years now, and been doing classical stuff for seven. 8)
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Return to “Music”