The Day the Earth Stood Still sent to Alpha Centauri

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

scrovak

Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still sent to Alpha Centauri

Postby scrovak » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:53 am UTC

icanus wrote:So it has will have going to have happened happened, but it hasn't actually happened happened yet?

edit: (to which the only appropriate response is of course: "It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that."

Buh?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 am UTC

TomBot wrote:
Luthen wrote:
TomBot wrote:Heh, if they can receive terrestrial TV broadcasts (unlikely), and can decode analog but not digital TV signals (unlikely), what will they think had happened this February when a big chunk of a continent goes dark?
Your ambiguous use of tense words confuses and infuriates me. Is this Feb 08 or Feb 09 and what's happening?
I meant this coming February (2009), when the FCC shuts down analog broadcasts in the US. I also had some trouble devising the correct verb phrase to convey a future alien's hypothesis about an event in its past but our future. ("what will they think will have had happened"?) Grammar is the biggest difficulty in time travel.

However, as the analogue television bandwidths have been/will be auctioned off for use as more powerful mobile phone systems and wireless internet, the continent isn't going to go dark. However, the aliens will find an increase in randomness in the signal.

Linkies:
Plans for Auctioning
Result of Auction
Why it may be a bad idea
Thank you New Scientist (the best tabloid science magazine).
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Except those new signals will be digital. While analog signals have obvious patterns to them, digital ones are usually compressed and often encrypted, which gives them a very low entropy, making them much more difficult to distinguish from background noise. If the aliens happened to have radios that worked similarly to ours, but used the frequencies we use for analog video, right now they'd be hearing some pretty crazy shit on any channels we were broadcasting on that they weren't. When the signals switch to digital, that crazy shit will just be replaced with static.

Linux users: try 'cat /some/file > /dev/audio'. Try it with a BMP image and check out the neat patterns. Now try it with a JPEG or PNG image.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

People, people, you are forgetting how bad space dissipates radio waves. Alpha Centauri is more than 4 light years away, normal radio/TV transmission won't last one light year in.

How far away could we detect radio transmissions?
For example, a TV picture having 5 MHz of bandwidth and 5 MWatts of power could not be detected beyond the solar system even with a radio telescope with 100 times the sensitivity of the 305 meter diameter Arecibo telescope.

It's nice of them to think of the poor aliens, but it's all wishful thinking (or blatant advertising, same thing really).
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

For all we know, they may be able to detect te patterns as a resultant form the radio-transmissions. For example, instead of trying to find a wet tennisball in a large room, instead look for the wet marks on the walls where it bounced. It'll tell you the impact, angle of impact, density, and angle of take-off, so you could tell everything about it. They may not be able to pickup the radio waves, but they may be able to discern the impact the waves had, and from that, reconstruct it.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 am UTC

I propose we send Alpha Centauri something more physical. Something that will demostrate that humans have culture, creativity, intelligence and taste, but something that we won't actually miss. Like France.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

a poor choice if you want to show military might, though. See French Military Defeats.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:50 am UTC

we. are. doomed.

Why can't we send aliens good stuff?

Didn't we send them Across the Universe a while ago? We should send them some Bach. Maybe some Rush too. Dunno about movies; the really good ones I can think of all seem to have high levels of us killing eachother.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Should have sent them the radio version of Hitch-hikers.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

better idea.

tell them not to turn our planet into a super-space-highway.

Return to “News & Articles”