Blue wine??

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rflrob

Blue wine??

Postby rflrob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:41 am UTC

A food mystery: Last night, my girlfriend and I were having dinner (home-made rosemary/parsley/basil pesto and pasta, bread, and some chocolate for dessert) and wine (Charles Shaw Nouveau Valdeguie--yes, two-buck Chuck... she's a grad student). As I was washing up, I noticed that the water in the first round of rinsing the glasses was blue. Like, approximately the same hue as the dish liquid (which I hadn't used yet), but clear. I tried a few things... first off, the water itself wasn't particularly blue: into a clean glass, it came out colorless as one would expect. I don't think it was just the wine, since I put some water into the bottle, then poured it out into a glass, and it was light red.

Now, the glasses we used hadn't been washed in a while... but I don't recall having had anything blue in them. And furthermore, we'd both had several glasses of wine, so you'd think whatever trace amounts of colorants would have been washed out. Having had fairly good control over the ingredients, there shouldn't have been anything blue. The chocolate was Scharffen-Berger, and they just put in chocolate, sugar, and vanilla. So basically, can anyone think why the liquid in the glasses would be blue?
Ten is approximately infinity (It's very large)
Ten is approximately zero (It's very small)

psykx

Re: Blue wine??

Postby psykx » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

you had a few glasses of wine and forgot you had used some washing up liquid? sorry not the answer you where looking for I'm sure
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

The only thing i can think of is that there are trace amounts of sulfide in wine, and some chemical reaction turned some into sulfates while you were washing up, causing the blue colour.

Boogerman

Postby Boogerman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Sulfates are colorless, that wouldn't work.
Unless it reacted forming copper sulfate, that would give a blue color.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Ah yeah, forgot that part. Maybe rflrob lives in a house with very old copper piping?

rflrob

Postby rflrob » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Matsi wrote:Ah yeah, forgot that part. Maybe rflrob lives in a house with very old copper piping?

Actually, we were in her brand-spanking-new dorm. Immediately after dinner, I helped her move some stuff from her old one. That said, I suppose its possible, although unlikely, that there was some sort of copper residue in the glasses.
Ten is approximately infinity (It's very large)
Ten is approximately zero (It's very small)

spikegomez

Postby spikegomez » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Ah so you mean the glass is not blue? and the wine? Ok i got it... LOL....

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

Kinda off-topic but my friend gets blue lips if he drinks certain red wines. Maybe it's a chemical reaction of some sort?
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:22 am UTC

I've known grape juice on occasion to leave a strange blueish residue at times, so.. there's that?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure you had to have added soap to the glass in someway. The acidic residue left by the red wine will turn varying shades of blue upon the addition of a basic soap because it acts as litmus paper basically.

Or you may just have very basic water.

EDIT: Afterthought, if they weren't rinse properly the last time you used the glasses there may have been some soap scum on the glass that would have dissolved into the rinsing water and turned blue because of the reaction I described above. Of course the scum would have dissolved into the wine originally in a very small amount (did it taste funny at all?), but because of the high volume of acidic wine no color change would have been visible when you were drinking it.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

Return to “Food”