High School Hero

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Cynical Idealist

High School Hero

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

http://mississippistate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=983337
Spoiler:
Logan Lowery
BulldogBlitz.com
Publisher
Tuesday morning began just like any other morning for football star Kaleb Eulls.

Eulls and his three younger sisters were among 22 passengers on a school bus bound for Yazoo County High School in western Mississippi until a 14-year old female student boarded the bus armed with a .380 semi-automatic handgun threatening to shoot and ordering the bus driver to pull over.

Eulls had fallen asleep at the back of the bus listening to his mp3 player and did not realize what was happening until one of his sisters woke him up.

"My sister that was in front of me woke up and told me that the girl had a gun," Eulls said. "She was pointing it back and forth at other people and the little kids that were sitting at the back. I just thought real quick and tried to grab her attention before she pointed the gun at anybody else. I wanted her to point it at me so she wouldn't point it at anybody else."

Kaleb Eulls saved the lives of 22 students Tuesday morning.
Eulls then opened up the emergency door located in the back and began evacuating as many students as he could from the rear of the bus while trying to reason with the armed female.

"I just tried to talk to her and calm her down," said the 6-foot-4, 255-pound Eulls. "She was just getting louder and louder. I guess for a quick second she looked out the window and when she did that I just sprung at her. I just knocked her down and got the gun away from her. When I got the gun I ran out the back door and disarmed it."

Eulls, who is a four-star defensive end that is verbally committed to play football at Mississippi State next year, was not concerned for his own well being at the moment. He selflessly did what he thought was the right thing to save the life of the others on board.

"I was just scared for the younger kids and my family that was on the bus," Eulls said. "I was just thinking things out step-by-step as quickly as I could. After we got to the school and watched the tape I just sat there thinking 'what in the world did I just do?' I just thought about what if this would have happened or if this would have happened? It was just crazy."

Eulls, already a hometown sports hero in the town of just over 1,300 about 30 miles north of Jackson, Miss., earned the respect of the local law enforcement.

"The (officers) who have been there for a long time told me that they have stared down many barrels before and always felt like it was a big cannon pointing at them," Eulls said. "It is one scary feeling."

Yazoo County Sheriff Tommy Vaughn was quoted in the Jackson, Miss., based The Clarion Ledger saying "If it hadn't been for this star football player, things could have been different. He didn't go overboard, but he did exactly what it took to get her on the ground.

"He made the statement to one of my deputies that if she was going to shoot anyone he would rather she shoot him. Watching him do that and him doing such a heroic act and not even caring about his own safety, that's something you don't see every day."

The female assailant was arrested on 22 counts of attempted aggravated assault, 22 counts of kidnapping and one count of possession of a firearm on school property. She was taken to the county juvenile detention facility.

As for people now calling a hero, Eulls feels he was just doing what anyone else would have done in that situation.

"I just tell them thank you and not to do anything crazy like that," Eulls said.

Eulls is rated the No. 19 defensive end in the nation and the No. 8 overall prospect in Mississippi by Rivals.com. He holds scholarship offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Southern Miss and Tennessee but has been committed to the Bulldogs since early July.

I imagine that its hard for him to walk quietly.

because of the clanking made by his big brass balls, that's why
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Spacemilk

Re: High School Hero

Postby Spacemilk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

That is amazing. I have a lot of respect for this guy.

Spoiler'd for OT - confusion from the article:
Spoiler:
He got her attention, then he opened the back door? And she didn't shoot him? And he somehow maintained her attention while shoving people out the bus? I guess it's possible she was hesitant to pull the trigger even when she saw all of her captives running away, it just sounded odd to me on the first read, although I guess it's possible it makes sense as-is.
milk from space is good for you!

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:That is amazing. I have a lot of respect for this guy.

Spoiler:
He got her attention, then he opened the back door? And she didn't shoot him? And he somehow maintained her attention while shoving people out the bus? I guess it's possible she was hesitant to pull the trigger even when she saw all of her captives running away, it just sounded odd to me on the first read, although I guess it's possible it makes sense as-is.

As I read it, he got as many people out as he could, then he got her attention. Actually...looking back at it, it looks like you're right. That is kind of strange.
1)The tone of voice
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

What he did was amazing, yeah, but is no one interested in wtf that girl was doing kidnapping a busfull of children in the first place?

Or is it just accepted now that such things happen?
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:What he did was amazing, yeah, but is no one interested in wtf that girl was doing kidnapping a busfull of children in the first place?

Or is it just accepted now that such things happen?

They probably don't know why. Also, it's a lot easier for a reporter to get information from the hero of the story than from the person held in police custody on 22 counts of assault and kidnapping.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

She probably didn't care atm, really.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:17 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Spacemilk wrote:That is amazing. I have a lot of respect for this guy.

Spoiler:

As I read it, he got as many people out as he could, then he got her attention. Actually...looking back at it, it looks like you're right. That is kind of strange.

She probably had no intention of actually shooting ever, and was hoping that the threat of a gun would be enough for... whatever she wanted... :|

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:She probably had no intention of actually shooting ever, and was hoping that the threat of a gun would be enough for... whatever she wanted... :|

It said in the article that after he got the gun away from the girl, he disarmed it. If the gun was armed and loaded she may have intended to use it as more than just a threat. Perhaps she lost her nerve when she was actually in the situation pointing it at people. It's hard to determine motivations when people do things that are so far from normal or psychologically healthy, and probably not worth trying on a message board with only one article for evidence.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Or perhaps he did what he should've: attained and maintained the gunman's attention; converse with the gunman, while assimilating yourself with him/her and showing a human side they can bond with, as they are feeling very obviously alone; place yourself between the gunman and innocents; while maintaining the gunman's attention and engaging in mild conversation about his/her intent and reasoning, reach back, open the door, and usher people out.

Cynical Idealist wrote:I imagine that its hard for him to walk quietly.

Agreed.

We need more kids like this.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 am UTC

Here's a video from Headline News about the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWCkP7cgRE
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

The female assailant was arrested on 22 counts of attempted aggravated assault, 22 counts of kidnapping and one count of possession of a firearm on school property. She was taken to the county juvenile detention facility.

Is this the normal amount you'd get charged for in this type of circumstance? Seems like it would result in some fairly hefty punishment.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

Is this the normal amount you'd get charged for in this type of circumstance? Seems like it would result in some fairly hefty punishment.
Better than 22 counts of murder in the first degree.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

what kind of firearm enables 22 counts of murder :shock: (scratch that remembered US gun laws) did anyone else dream incessantly of this type of thing in high school, pulling a big damn hero move, that kid got the world's biggest self-esteem boost ever his efficacy and worth paradigm is pretty much set for life.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

This was another near-Columbine. This girl with the gun brought it in to get back at some of her tormentors, the news cycles reported.

The sad thing is that she'll be demonized and locked away without even paying any attention into why this event happened in the first place.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:This was another near-Columbine. This girl with the gun brought it in to get back at some of her tormentors, the news cycles reported.

The sad thing is that she'll be demonized and locked away without even paying any attention into why this event happened in the first place.

No I'm sure people will be all ready to jump on violent video games, or movies or something else to explain why she did this. You're probably right about the demonized part though.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

They'll jump at the wrong issues, since speaking abstractly is better than having to come to terms with the fact that their culture has design problems, and that bullying isn't just some rite of passage.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Lucrece wrote:This was another near-Columbine. This girl with the gun brought it in to get back at some of her tormentors, the news cycles reported.

No I'm sure people will be all ready to jump on violent video games, or movies or something else to explain why she did this. You're probably right about the demonized part though.

Going ballistic over video games isn't paying attention to the underlying causes though. Sure there will be people claiming that their personal crusade to ban "X" caused it, but that doesn't mean that that was actually the underlying motivation.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

[quote="Chen"]
No I'm sure people will be all ready to jump on violent video games, or movies or something else to explain why she did this. You're probably right about the demonized part though.[/quote
No, girls don't play with videogames.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

I desperately need to know one thing— did this guy play GTA?
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Chen wrote:No I'm sure people will be all ready to jump on violent video games, or movies or something else to explain why she did this. You're probably right about the demonized part though.

No, girls don't play with videogames.
And they aren't on the interwebs either.

Seriously, though -- there are so many school shootings in this country, and I wonder: why?
Poor gun control and an oppressive school environment are my guesses, but... man. I just don't know.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Uh, gun control is pathetic in stopping people who really want a gun from getting them. See how well that has gone in violent, low income districts.

these events are frequent because American culture turns a blind eye to bullies. They see it as some part of "growing up; people will be mean to you". That kind of bullshit that leads to 11 year-olds hanging themselves.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 am UTC

kingofdreams wrote:what kind of firearm enables 22 counts of murder :shock: (scratch that remembered US gun laws) did anyone else dream incessantly of this type of thing in high school, pulling a big damn hero move, that kid got the world's biggest self-esteem boost ever his efficacy and worth paradigm is pretty much set for life.

Any firearm at all, given sufficient time and ammunition.
1)The tone of voice

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Am I the only one annoyed by the constant references to his "football" playing? We get it, he's good at sports. I don't give a flying fuck about his scholarship to University of Buttfuck, Mississippi, or that he plays the one handed weasel like a pro.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:26 am UTC

Marilyn Manson, WoW, Doom, and .. uhh.. My Little Pony. Yeah there ya go. Let's blame them!

It's cool the guy took action. Guess he realized losing his life was worth saving 20 +.

And is it wrong I giggled slightly at "Yazoo county" ? That.. doesn't even sound quite real...
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

Let's blame Canada.

Damn you, Canada.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

Their evil is spreading like maple syrup across America.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Their evil is spreading like maple syrup across America.
Sweet, sticky evil.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I heard the moose are mobilizing...

Props to this fella. I think the football thing was overplayed too. I spose it's a cultural thing, and as good a padding as anything, really. Some more investigative work in to the girl's background would have been nice- obviously a full psychological report was impossible at that point, but I think sympathy is more required than condemnation.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

just yesterday someone got stabbed at the highschool literally a block away...
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Owijad wrote:I desperately need to know one thing— did this guy play GTA?

Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God. Oh Please God.
Signatures are for chumps.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Let's blame Canada.

Damn you, Canada.

Owijad wrote:I desperately need to know one thing— did this guy play GTA?

That reminds me; they need to have Grand Theft Auto: Greater Toronto Area. Best Acronym ever.

Return to “News & Articles”