0178: "Not Really Into Pokemon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 pm UTC

0178: "Not Really Into Pokemon"

Postby Pathway » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:31 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c178.html

Why did Firefox 2.0 leave his computer a mess? We may never know.

User avatar
Ephphatha
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:03 am UTC
Location: Bathurst, NSW, Australia

0178: "Not Really Into Pokemon"

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 am UTC

xkcd is totally into pokemon. Just ask him on IRC.

http://xkcd.com/c178.html

Edit: Well what do you know. Two for one special today.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:38 am UTC

Haha that's awesome. I love phrases that you can say that just screw people up.

wingus
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 am UTC

Postby wingus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:02 am UTC

x
Last edited by wingus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wingus
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 am UTC

Postby wingus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 am UTC

x
Last edited by wingus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wingus
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 am UTC

Postby wingus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:04 am UTC

x
Last edited by wingus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:05 am UTC

The Pokemon RPGs on Gameboy were awesome, can't say too much for pokemon itself though.

User avatar
beinsane
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Postby beinsane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 am UTC

Possibly the only time in my life when I was not embarrassed to have formerly been into Pokemon was when working on this item for the MIT Mystery Hunt puzzle thingy.

Said puzzle also required an ability to identify Shakespearean quotes. I noted at the time that the intersection of the set of people who know Shakespeare and the set of people who know Pokemon must be very small, and most of that intersection was probably participating in the MIT puzzle thingy.

User avatar
dfoxfranke
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 am UTC
Contact:

Postby dfoxfranke » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:38 am UTC

What mystery hunt team were you on?

User avatar
beinsane
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Postby beinsane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:11 am UTC

Manic Sages, remotely in '04, on-site since '05. You?

(ObOnTopic: Ubuntu is shipping "Firefox" in a break from its parent distribution Debian, who due to disagreements with Mozilla's trademark policy are shipping a browser called "Iceweasel". Now there's a Pokemon name for you.)

User avatar
dfoxfranke
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 am UTC
Contact:

Postby dfoxfranke » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:05 am UTC

Well damn! Me too. '06 was my first year and I was on-site. Spent most of my time in the War Room.

User avatar
Ephphatha
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:03 am UTC
Location: Bathurst, NSW, Australia

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:30 am UTC

I personally was going to suggest using this topic for the discussion, but people seem to be using the other one more... Guess we just need to let the mods merge them or something.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Postby Jesse » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 am UTC

Sadly, this forum has nomoderators. Every other one we can do all that crazy stuff, but not this one.

User avatar
torne
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:58 am UTC
Location: London, UK

Postby torne » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The Pokemon RPGs on Gameboy were awesome, can't say too much for pokemon itself though.

I can't believe I finally got around to registering just to respond to this (boy I am such a nerd) but the Pokemon RPGs on the Gameboy *were* pokemon itself - the anime/manga/TCG/cuddly toys/etc are all spinoffs. The game came first ;)

Now to hide my shame by pretending I'm actually registered to talk about logic puzzles.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:25 pm UTC

torne wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:The Pokemon RPGs on Gameboy were awesome, can't say too much for pokemon itself though.

I can't believe I finally got around to registering just to respond to this (boy I am such a nerd) but the Pokemon RPGs on the Gameboy *were* pokemon itself - the anime/manga/TCG/cuddly toys/etc are all spinoffs. The game came first ;)

Now to hide my shame by pretending I'm actually registered to talk about logic puzzles.


Haha, well I meant that the actual gaming in it was good and fun, but as for pokemon the storyline and everything else etc. that's another matter.

User avatar
strangequarks
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:00 pm UTC

Postby strangequarks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:41 pm UTC

[quote="beinsane"]Possibly the only time in my life when I was not embarrassed to have formerly been into Pokemon was when working on this item for the MIT Mystery Hunt puzzle thingy.
[quote]

Why are there so many typos on that page? It makes my brain hurt too much to continue reading. (And yet I attempt to claim that I'm not pedantic...)

I'm proud that I was never into pokemon. The closest I came to that was enjoying the 'Digimon Ranchers' (or something) cartoon once or twice when I accidentally turned on the TV when it happened to be on.
Last edited by strangequarks on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:48 pm UTC

How dare you blaspheme Ubuntu!!!!

In all honesty, they called it "Edgy" for a reason. It is not really supposed to be about uber-stability. If you want that, stick with Dapper LTS. :wink:

I have been embarassed for years about the fact that I enjoyed the pokemon RPGs on my totally kickass limegreen GameboyColor (that's the one with the colored shell AND the color screen, as opposed to the Color Gameboy, which just had a colored shell and totally kickass greenscale screen). Of course, that's when it was the good old days of Red and Blue versions. I am also ashamed to admit that I bought the Yellow version. I hang my head in shame.

Is there pokemon for DS? If so, I may have to lock myself in a closet and play.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
torne wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:The Pokemon RPGs on Gameboy were awesome, can't say too much for pokemon itself though.

I can't believe I finally got around to registering just to respond to this (boy I am such a nerd) but the Pokemon RPGs on the Gameboy *were* pokemon itself - the anime/manga/TCG/cuddly toys/etc are all spinoffs. The game came first ;)

Now to hide my shame by pretending I'm actually registered to talk about logic puzzles.


Haha, well I meant that the actual gaming in it was good and fun, but as for pokemon the storyline and everything else etc. that's another matter.


Here Here!:!:!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Oman612
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 pm UTC

Postby Oman612 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:46 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Is there pokemon for DS? If so, I may have to lock myself in a closet and play.

Diamond and Pearl are out in Japan, but no US release dates given yet.

strangequarks wrote:I'm proud that I was never into pokemon. The closest I came to that was enjoying the 'Digimon Ranchers' (or something) cartoon once or twice when I accidentally turned on the TV when it happened to be on.
If there was a blue wolf and a one legged eye thing and also sometimes a bunny and the opening involved some kid turning on a playstation game that coincidentally matched some people spinning some stone disk in another world, then that would be "Monster Rancher". If it involved Digimon, that would be "Digimon".


Also: If you've ever played a TCG, the chances of you having already been told "Nah, I'm not really into Pokemon" are nine million times greater than for the rest of the population. And chances are you've said it to someone who tried to get you to play Yu-Gi-Oh.

User avatar
grim4593
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:23 am UTC

Postby grim4593 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:34 pm UTC

Upgrading from Dapper to Edgy went rather smooth for me... From the forums there are a lot of people with non-working wireless drivers however. Someone forgot to explain that the new kernel doesn't contain all the wireless drivers anymore or something. :? Mine works ok... But the wireless will "time-out" after a period of inactivity so I set it to ping myself every 5 seconds to keep the connection active.

Firefox 2 was great once Tab Mix Plus was upgraded! :wink:

User avatar
beinsane
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Postby beinsane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 pm UTC

strangequarks wrote:
beinsane wrote:Possibly the only time in my life when I was not embarrassed to have formerly been into Pokemon was when working on this item for the MIT Mystery Hunt puzzle thingy.


Why are there so many typos on that page? It makes my brain hurt too much to continue reading. (And yet I attempt to claim that I'm not pedantic...)


I don't know what you're talking about. There are no typos on that page. There are misspellings, yes, but they're intentional. :P

See the "check answer" link at the top for an explanation as to why I brought it up in this thread to begin with.

dfoxfranke wrote:Well damn! Me too. '06 was my first year and I was on-site. Spent most of my time in the War Room.


Small world, huh? I floated around from place to place; we probably met at some point or another. Well, here's to coming in second again this year. ;)

User avatar
ohki
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am UTC
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Contact:

Postby ohki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:59 am UTC

"As of this writing, Ubuntu 6.10 and Firefox 2.0 have left my computer a complete mess."

/me sticks his tongue out.
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Firefox 1.5.0.7

They call it the 'bleeding edge' because of the way early adopters are prone to exploding into a fine mist :)

As for pokemon... I have at least 8 TCG league badges... from back in the day...
Last edited by ohki on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NMcCoy
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm UTC
Location: Portland, OR

Postby NMcCoy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:59 am UTC

beinsane wrote:(ObOnTopic: Ubuntu is shipping "Firefox" in a break from its parent distribution Debian, who due to disagreements with Mozilla's trademark policy are shipping a browser called "Iceweasel". Now there's a Pokemon name for you.)

Image

Edit: Also, I noticed that you corrected the accent mark.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:59 am UTC

Is that actually called an Iceweasel? I can see weasel, but it's not very icy.

NMcCoy
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm UTC
Location: Portland, OR

Postby NMcCoy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:04 am UTC

It's a Sneasel, and it is in fact an Ice/Dark type.

wingus
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 am UTC

Postby wingus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 am UTC

x
Last edited by wingus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NMcCoy
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm UTC
Location: Portland, OR

Postby NMcCoy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:56 am UTC

Yeah - the portable series is great. The rest is mostly lame marketing.
Actually, Stadium 2 was awesome as well - it's a shame they utterly screwed up the GCN games.

User avatar
ohki
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am UTC
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Contact:

Postby ohki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:35 pm UTC

Snap was actually somewhat fun, if not just for being a totally new game genre..

I'm actually amazed nintendo dropped the ball on making a MMORPG. The universe is BUILT for it :/

User avatar
theY4Kman
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:12 pm UTC
Location: Behind you.
Contact:

Postby theY4Kman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I did have fun with Snapshot...Especially throwing apples at them, just for fun ;D
...MMORPG? There was supposed to be one? Where was I?
<3 Rela82me: "I use Windows because I'm too poor for Mac and too stupid for Linux."

User avatar
ohki
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:27 am UTC
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Contact:

Postby ohki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:19 pm UTC

No, there was never supposed to be one. I just meant that MMOs are the popular thing these days. Sony pulled out one based on Final Fantasy. When you think about how well the gameboy games would lend themselves to such gameplay, it's somewhat surprising nintendo never even attempted to make one (unless its some huge secret project, heh)

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:08 pm UTC

Oman612 wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:Is there pokemon for DS? If so, I may have to lock myself in a closet and play.

Diamond and Pearl are out in Japan, but no US release dates given yet.

I was just about to say, maybe i could import one from Lik-Sang and relive the good ol' days, plus added DS sweetness. But then, my heart sank and my hatred for the evil $ony Empire grew an amazing 10 fold within milliseconds. That is pretty intense considering my level of hatred towards them ranked somewhere in between despise and loathe.

Maybe I will just take a trip to Japan. Anyone else up for it?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
strangequarks
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:00 pm UTC

Postby strangequarks » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:18 pm UTC

Oman612 wrote:
strangequarks wrote:I'm proud that I was never into pokemon. The closest I came to that was enjoying the 'Digimon Ranchers' (or something) cartoon once or twice when I accidentally turned on the TV when it happened to be on.
If there was a blue wolf and a one legged eye thing and also sometimes a bunny and the opening involved some kid turning on a playstation game that coincidentally matched some people spinning some stone disk in another world, then that would be "Monster Rancher". If it involved Digimon, that would be "Digimon".


Apologies for the mistake. Maybe it was Monster Rancher, or maybe it was Digimon. I don't remember any of those characters, but nor do I remember anything about it. I am suitably shamed.

Also, scared of the pokemon fans. I'll go hide now, and console myself with the fact that in general society it's still not considered cool to be into pokemon.

User avatar
beinsane
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 am UTC

Postby beinsane » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm UTC

And to add another layer onto the confusion, IIRC there's a fire fox Pokemon called Vulpix, which sounds like the name of a Linux distro.

My brain hurts.
Hello, this is bein, and I pronounce "bein" as "bein".

drgold
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:51 am UTC

Postby drgold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:19 am UTC

Who here admits to watching the TV series? It was awesome until they got rid of Brock... his perma-closed eyes were the best part of the show.
http://www.twonewthings.com : a webcomic of secrets and lies, and a few true stories

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Postby william » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 am UTC

drgold wrote:Who here admits to watching the TV series? It was awesome until they got rid of Brock... his perma-closed eyes were the best part of the show.

They got rid of Brock? He was the only reason that show was entertaining.

In related news, apparently they're still making episodes of some spinoff of that. Good Lord, how long can they milk that franchise to death?

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:12 pm UTC

william wrote:
drgold wrote:Who here admits to watching the TV series? It was awesome until they got rid of Brock... his perma-closed eyes were the best part of the show.

They got rid of Brock? He was the only reason that show was entertaining.


Sorry I'm not really into Pokemon.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

arecanut0
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 pm UTC
Location: MA

Postby arecanut0 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:05 am UTC

beinsane wrote:Possibly the only time in my life when I was not embarrassed to have formerly been into Pokemon


Sorry for being off-topic, but that reminds me of a high school Quiz Bowl type tournament we went to. The question was "name all four Teletubbies." I think I was the only one there who could.

It definitely wasn't one of the high points of my life.
"To me, love is a game... like Starcraft." -on some Korean drama/soap

User avatar
AwesomesauceOnCeilingfish
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:24 pm UTC
Location: land of nerds with too much money & time
Contact:

Postby AwesomesauceOnCeilingfish » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:17 pm UTC

I so used that line on my friend the other day when he started talking about WoW.
He got all offended and I just smiled blankly at him.
Brilliant.
whatwhat

User avatar
athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:37 am UTC

Postby athelas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:08 pm UTC

As you can see by the continued existence of the previous post.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:54 pm UTC

athelas wrote:As you can see by the continued existence of the previous post.


No, they have mods now
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests