Australia, represent.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aussie?

Bloody oath mate.
39%
Nah, I'm off the island.
61%

Total votes: 245

hermaj

Re: Australia, represent.

Postby hermaj » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 am UTC

timt wrote:I'm actually pretty interested in attending Macquarie Uni as i'm not too happy with what I'm doing at the moment. How is their contemporay music program?

I have absolutely no idea, I'm doing Science/Education and I don't know anyone who is doing anything like that. Sorry, hey.

timt

Postby timt » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 am UTC

ah right, i may have to organize a trip to check it out/audition. I think part of my uni's problem is it's a fairly low entry uni so you do get a lot of non-intellectual types going to it. Also doing a comp science course doesn't particularly help as their aren't too many girls to talk to.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:19 am UTC

timt wrote:ah right, i may have to organize a trip to check it out/audition. I think part of my uni's problem is it's a fairly low entry uni so you do get a lot of non-intellectual types going to it. Also doing a comp science course doesn't particularly help as their aren't too many girls to talk to.

true that... there aren't more than one or maybe 2 girls in any of my non core engineering subjects.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Maybe I was lucky, but roughly a quarter of my engineering faculty at uni was female. That number dropped slightly in the mech department and even more in the aerospace subjects (2 in about 30), but I was still kind of surprised at the number of women in engineering when I first started. (I say lucky not so much for the picking up of aforementioned females, but for having them around as a foil to the ridiculous amounts of testosterone in the engineering buildings. Girls are more interesting conversation. :P)

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Maybe I was lucky, but roughly a quarter of my engineering faculty at uni was female. That number dropped slightly in the mech department and even more in the aerospace subjects (2 in about 30), but I was still kind of surprised at the number of women in engineering when I first started. (I say lucky not so much for the picking up of aforementioned females, but for having them around as a foil to the ridiculous amounts of testosterone in the engineering buildings. Girls are more interesting conversation. :P)

I think they may also avoid my uni in general... It has been voted the ugliest building in Sydney. :D

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Re: Re:

Postby SpitValve » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

akashra wrote:
SpitValve wrote:This poll needs to have a "New Zealand" and an "Other" option

Considering that 'New Zealand' fits into the 'Other' category, and 'Other' fits into 'No'... why?

... I can't remember why I said that.

Perhaps I figured the poll options were "Yes, I'm Australian" and "No, I'm Australian but I'm not in Australia". And maybe I thought "New Zealand" didn't count as "other" because we're so special ;)

guntersmells

Postby guntersmells » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:32 am UTC

To spark up this thread again, I sure do hope we all are going to commemorate ANZAC Day by paying our respects at a service...?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Nah, but I think all my Uni friends are forcing me to wake up at like 2am or something to somehow get to this Pangea day thing down in Melbourne.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

Ooh, pick me! Pick me!
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

As you can tell from my profile, I'm from Melbourne.

It surprised me at first that there were so many Aussies on the forum (I still suffer from the 1990s belief that the internet is America-centric) but then I realised how many of my friends are geeky or otaku-types and it made a bit more sense.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

guntersmells

Postby guntersmells » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

mmmm curse that 90's trend. There are a few aussies on here though. Myself included. :D

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

Hey...someone from Ballarat! Apparently there is a lot happening here (dawn service on Res, and something at Regent) but I'm not gonna be here. I'm going home and doing my part for the diggers by serving them piss (I work at an RSL) :p

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

I think it's just mostly aussies that are awesome enough to appreciate xkcd ;)

and meowgan... don't know what I'm meant to pick you for, but every word can be verbed ;)

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:I think it's just mostly aussies that are awesome enough to appreciate xkcd ;)

and meowgan... don't know what I'm meant to pick you for, but every word can be verbed ;)
I think I might just take that as a compliment. :o

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

...I feel obligated to would like to go to one, but I fear I'll be working on an assignment feverishly.
I did go to one at school though.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Meowgan wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:I think it's just mostly aussies that are awesome enough to appreciate xkcd ;)

I think that's probably best, but I was referencing your sig...

unless you mean the first part, in which case, I'm still not sure what I should pick you for, but we can just assume that I will, though.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

If you're weird, you can construct an entire language out of nothing but verbs.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Meowgan wrote:

I think that's probably best, but I was referencing your sig...

unless you mean the first part, in which case, I'm still not sure what I should pick you for, but we can just assume that I will, though.
I dunno. I spied the wink and I winked back at the screen IRL.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

guntersmells wrote:To spark up this thread again, I sure do hope we all are going to commemorate ANZAC Day by paying our respects at a service...?

I am going to commemorate by staying up somewhere past midnight to pay respects as soon as possible on the day, and then go to sleep for a long while.

A very long while, given the lack of sleep I've had recently...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I won't be attending any public events for ANZAC day. In fact, I'll be staying as far away from the city as possible so I don't have to deal with 34738942 drunken yobs who have been on the piss since before sunrise.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I agree with cyberia on this one. It was really quite sad when I was in Canada for Australia Day... there are alot of Aussies on the ski fields over there, and it seemed like all of them were pissed and making complete asses of themselves.

Plus, I won't be getting home until quite late on saturday night.. Porcupine Tree ftw!

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:It was really quite sad when I was in Canada for Australia Day... there are alot of Aussies on the ski fields over there, and it seemed like all of them were pissed and making complete asses of themselves.

We send to other countries so that we get some peice and quiet! Also, so that the rest of the world underestimates us...
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 am UTC

... underestimates a country inhabited by snakes with venom so deadly you'd die if you made direct eye contact (but they're really not much of a bother because the spiders ate most of them) as well as Drop Bears?

I think not.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Precisely. We need to do something, or our tourism industry is going to lose out big time.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 am UTC

They're fools though.

And my favourites are our stinging trees. Maybe we should ship some of PNG's poisonous birds over, too...
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:I feel your pain. Ours got rid of our Spring Fair.

Eh. Sorry to bring this up from about 6 pages ago, but no- they just decided to have it every 6 years (maybe less, maybe more) so that each grade would experience it once or something. Silly idea, but we had one two years ago.

Also- our principal has changed. She's mostly seen as a little uptight but isn't really very involved in very much. And our whole upper echelon has gone! I don't know if you remember Mr. Fugaccia, Mr. Elton, or Mr. Steigler-Peters, but they've all been replaced by 3 women. And I bought Mr. Elton's car. Which was really odd because there was a drawer full of 5 cent coins.

And last year we formed a uniform committee with members of each grade to change the hideous fluoro-green sport uniforms we had. Now they're "forest green", gold and black, but I somewhat miss the marker that made us stand out at any rec sport- it somehow grows on you :D

Edited for harshness. I'm just bitter because they're hindering my change of subjects. Damn Society and Culture.
Last edited by eternal luna on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Is there still a Mr. Lloyd there teaching science?

he used to coach my soccer team back in the day... he would have been there when hermaj started.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Not any more. Lately we seem to be losing all the really, really good teachers. Mr Drew (woodwork) left a couple of years ago, and next year both Mrs Pigram (Latin) and Mr Dennett (History) are leaving too :(
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Is my school the only one in Australia that, quite rightly, refuses to learn a dead language?

I shall not listen to your calls of "It has interesting consequences for our language" or "It forms the root of languages, makes it easier to learn" or whatever else you guys use to validate the 180+ hours you spend learning Latin.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Our school did it just for kicks, for like 3-4 weeks.
:D

I went and participated in a service, like a good loyal cadet.

Also, opinions on the laser bans?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

The only language taught at my school was French (being a marist school), which was compulsory in year 7, but almost noone did it after that.

EDIT: laser bans... to be honest I haven't heard enough to know exactly what to think, but I -have- heard they are quite silly on the basis that they are too strict, and thus it's not hard at all to get an exemption allowing you to have whatever laser you want.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

I think the laser laws are consistent with Australia's weapon laws...but unlike most weapons, high-powered lasers actually serve a purpose other than hurting or killing people and animals. I think it's a bit of an overreaction, personally, but I admit that I might be biased because I wanted to buy a high-powered laser.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

I would have much preferred to have Latin as a subject at school, but that is just the elitist in me.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

grimmace23

Postby grimmace23 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Yeah, I'm an Aussie. But what I don't understand is this stereotype that we say strewth, bloody, mate or g'day every second word. I know that I don't (either that or I don't realise that I do), and none of my friends do (unless its just second nature and I don't take huge notice of it). I'll have to listen out from now on I guess.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:55 am UTC

grimmace23 wrote:Yeah, I'm an Aussie. But what I don't understand is this stereotype that we say strewth, bloody, mate or g'day every second word. I know that I don't (either that or I don't realise that I do), and none of my friends do (unless its just second nature and I don't take huge notice of it). I'll have to listen out from now on I guess.

Mostly from movies like crocodile dundee, and steve irwin.

I really hate that we've gotten these stereotypes, because you don't meet any normal aussies who speak anything like that.

I do use the word mate, but not that much... I don't really use the others at all.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Um, I'm guessing that it's because you're from Sydney, |Erasmus|. I know plenty of people who live up to the stereotype, more or less. Hell, I even do my part when I can.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:20 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Um, I'm guessing that it's because you're from Sydney, |Erasmus|. I know plenty of people who live up to the stereotype, more or less. Hell, I even do my part when I can.

I will second this. Similar to how people take traits of certain parts of the USA and apply a stereotype to the entire country, you are seeing the same thing.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Um, I'm guessing that it's because you're from Sydney, |Erasmus|. I know plenty of people who live up to the stereotype, more or less. Hell, I even do my part when I can.

Wow seriously? I live...

<---- There

And goto Melbourne all the time and I never hear it. The only time I hear it is when people are making fun of the stereotype.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

I say 'mate' reasonably often (usually to people I don't know, ie customers) but that's about it. I've been known to say g'day, but it's rare.

Latin was neither forced upon or offered to me at any school I attended, nor any other school in my town. I don't know what happens in every school around the place but I have known people from a lot of schools and have never heard any of them say that Latin was offered. Maybe it's a NSW thing? (I'm Victorian)

As to whether it's worth it; meh. I would contend that you can get the same benefit from learning Italian or French or something; after all, most of the stuff in English that comes from Latin came via Italian/French. And with Italian/French you have some practical use you can put it to.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

No Latin at my school, and I went to a state school that thought very highly of itself. Instead we had French (like everyone else), German, Indonesian and Japanese...in retrospect I should have learned Japanese instead of tolerating French for two years then dropping it, but that's what adult short courses are for.

Return to “General”