Zelda:Twilight Princess

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zelda:Twilight Princess, great game or greatest game?

Greatest game
14%
Great game
56%
I'm not cool enough to have the game yet. I suck!
29%

Total votes: 112

annals

Re: Zelda:Twilight Princess

Postby annals » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Indeed; you were supposed to be able to use the cage/walls to get round him, but every time I tried, he intercepted my flight path with a huge freaking spiked ball.

Technically it was possible: you had to wait until he was almost on top of you and about to throw the ball and chain, then grapple to the spot behind him, drop down as he threw the ball and chain to where you just were, and, as he was struggling to get it out of the floor, spin attack. If your timing was impeccable, or your luck incredible, you got it. Otherwise...yeah.

But, hey, the payoff was totally worth it, right? My favorite tool in the whole game.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:57 am UTC

annals wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Indeed; you were supposed to be able to use the cage/walls to get round him, but every time I tried, he intercepted my flight path with a huge freaking spiked ball.

Technically it was possible: you had to wait until he was almost on top of you and about to throw the ball and chain, then grapple to the spot behind him, drop down as he threw the ball and chain to where you just were, and, as he was struggling to get it out of the floor, spin attack. If your timing was impeccable, or your luck incredible, you got it. Otherwise...yeah.

But, hey, the payoff was totally worth it, right? My favorite tool in the whole game.

Just spin it, and with luck, they'll just keep running at it and own themselves.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:43 am UTC

I was never a big fan of the ball and chain, too slow for me. I personally prefer the bow, and the double-clawshot. Damn that's fun to use.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Damn I love the bow
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Ah, the 'target practice' to get the heart piece. I usually use the scope (i forget what its actually called) to hit the pole on top of the lookout post, but i think i fluked it and got it without the scope once. I doubt i could pull it off again though.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Thenzon wrote:Ah, the 'target practice' to get the heart piece. I usually use the scope (i forget what its actually called) to hit the pole on top of the lookout post, but i think i fluked it and got it without the scope once. I doubt i could pull it off again though.

I just spammed arrows at it till I hit it.
Not very sniperish of me.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

That wastes precious arrows, so i usually just get the scope. Its not very useful anywhere else though...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

It made killing the goblins in the little town a bit easier.
Last edited by Jebobek on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Oh yeah, i forgot about raiding that village. Those goblins on the towers, THAT's where the scope comes in handy.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Also, its just plain fun.
Also fun, but entirely useless are the crawling bombs. Not once did I use them for a serious purpose. Mostly comedy.
I sent one at a goblin thing and the goblin looked at it. Looked away. Looked back. Jumped. Looked at me. Blew up.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

Bombarrows are the best combo I've seen to date.

Gadgets are fun when used in their respective environment, but you just dont see them used in the battlefied. Out of boredom I would see how far I can get in the bonus dungeon with the ball+chain. Scepter and Spinner and terribad, basically used to get down another level. The scepter ball should act as fire damage or SOMETHING useful. Spinner should give you a powerful burst of speed when you charge it up.

They need to bring back item combos that you saw in the origional Link's Awakening. They had it right in 1993 but they got rid of it. I want to pegasus boot charge down a hallway, then at a ledge to a pit I want to use the Roc's feather to do a highjump, then use windwaker's float leaf to sail to the other side. A dungeon hard mode should demand stuff like this. You might argue that wii's controls don't allow for multigadgets, but thats because its a bad control system. OOC and Majora's Mask had it right the first time.

Note that the Roc's feather could be a passive item like the strength bracers/gloves, where when you jump off a ledge you get a couple more feet. On the other hand, using the feather actively to get height over an enemy so you can downstab sounds enticing.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Anybody else notice how on the back of the box, there is an image of link fighting a mini-boss (temple of time), but he has a green bar. What the hell is that?
Is it a magic bar they decided not to include in the game (and yet put on the box for some stupid unknown reason?)

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

That's exactly what it is. But, if you let a Yellow Chu and a Blue Chu merge, they turn into a Green Chu, which gives you a magic potion if you kill it. It doesn't do anything, but still.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Ah, Din's Fire, got me out of a bunch of tight spots back in OoT.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Why put a magic bar on the box and function it in, then decide not to use it and yet keep it on the box....?

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:24 am UTC

The usual reason: someone was lazy.
I always thought spells in OoT was pretty useless. Din's Fire was necessary to solve a bunch of puzzles, but I don't think I used Farore's Wind or Nayru's Love more than once or twice in the entire game. Spin attack and magic arrows were nice though.
Because phlogiston.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

Just had to say it.
CHICKEN MIND CONTROL

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

Wha???

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

Thenzon wrote:Wha???

Hit a chicken enough times AND YOU CONTROL IT!

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

But... that doesn't... how would you... ah... cucco... hit... no death... OoT... chases after you! Control? Pain = Control? How? ..........

*head explodes*

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Fly chicken FLY!
There are two options for this, attack it till you control it to do so, or just plain pick it up and throw it somewhere.
Am I the only person to have heve Karioko Village via holding onto a chicken and flying out of the area?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Why put a magic bar on the box and function it in, then decide not to use it and yet keep it on the box....?

'cause production is a complicated process and things get dummied out of programs all the time.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

I heard recently that there is talk of a second twilight princess. Or at least another Zelda for Wii.
It isnt official yet, but apparently its as grounded as an unnannounced game can be.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:I heard recently that there is talk of a second twilight princess. Or at least another Zelda for Wii.
It isnt official yet, but apparently its as grounded as an unnannounced game can be.

Saying "there will be another Zelda game on Wii" is much like saying "fire is hot." TP was a GameCube game that they added some Wii controls to.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

But see, I remember they were at one point going to make another, and they were going to make a CGI film.
Both were abruptly cancelled.
Hence my happiness (and mentioning) of the fact that it is again in the works that they will be making a new one.

Anyone else finished cave of ordeals twice?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

Yes. The last fight got far easier when I realized I could use bombs like land mines.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:I heard recently that there is talk of a second twilight princess. Or at least another Zelda for Wii.

Saying "there will be another Zelda game on Wii" is much like saying "fire is hot." TP was a GameCube game that they added some Wii controls to.
I want to believe you, so badly. But remember till they delayed TP on gamecube (by like 3 fucking years) so that It could come out as a quazi "killer app" with Wii? Yea, I'm thinking thats what they're going to do with a TP2.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:

I want to believe you, so badly. But remember till they delayed TP on gamecube (by like 3 fucking years) so that It could come out as a quazi "killer app" with Wii? Yea, I'm thinking thats what they're going to do with a TP2.

But other than increasing its graphics power...where can they go with the nintendo; how can you improve on that console? How can you improve on such awesomeness?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:But other than increasing its graphics power...where can they go with the nintendo; how can you improve on that console? How can you improve on such awesomeness?
The big mistake would be increasing graphics and nothing else. See my minirant from earlier:
They need to bring back item combos that you saw in the origional Link's Awakening. They had it right in 1993 but they got rid of it. I want to pegasus boot charge down a hallway, then at a ledge to a pit I want to use the Roc's feather to do a highjump, then use windwaker's float leaf to sail to the other side. A dungeon hard mode should demand stuff like this. You might argue that wii's controls don't allow for multigadgets, but thats because its a bad control system. OOC and Majora's Mask had it right the first time.

Note that the Roc's feather could be a passive item like the strength bracers/gloves, where when you jump off a ledge you get a couple more feet. On the other hand, using the feather actively to get height over an enemy so you can downstab sounds enticing.
I realize that Zelda is an adventure game too, and is meant to be as such, but if you turn back to something like Zelda2, all the moves and abilities were meant to be used in conjunction on the battlefield. Links Awakening did the same thing to an extent. Wii can keep the sword/shield at the ready at all times but should also let you combo them with your items.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Eh, I never had a problem switching between items on the fly on the Wii, even items that weren't on my quick-select.

I swear, the number of times I muttered "I'm Dr. Henry Killingger, and this is my magic murder bag" as I clawshot-bombbow goblins or boomeranged bats while ball+chaining whatever else was there in the Cave of Ordeals is... stupidly high.

Of course, I think it's all best if we simply forget Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link ever existed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Well true but you have to admit that the Super Smash Bros. series used his up and down-stabs as bread and butter attacks. Especially the first game where it was completely overpowered.

I just think a quicker way of using these items would be to have then activate right when you hit the button they're stored on, or at least give you the option of doing that. In OOC I liked immediately swinging a Deku Stick at something by hitting the respective C button. Was that too clunky for others?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Of course, I think it's all best if we simply forget Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link ever existed.

Heresy! Zelda 2 was filled with glory and win!

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

If we just pretend admit that Z2 is NOT, in fact, a Zelda game, it's actually not THAT bad of a game....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Speaking of which, Super mario 2 was actually not really a mario game because they just put mario sprites over the origional characters. Thats why its so different from all the other ones. It was "Doki Doki Panic."

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Yep, characters were like Mama, Papa, and 2 kids.....but Shyguys and Birdos and stuff have appeared in future Mario games, so it's now become completely assimilated. Except for maybe Fryguy....

Damnit, now you've got me wondering what all SMB2 enemies appeared/didn't appear in later games!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

The next Zelda title should incorporate elements from the CD-i games.

Aikanaro wrote:Yep, characters were like Mama, Papa, and 2 kids.....but Shyguys and Birdos and stuff have appeared in future Mario games, so it's now become completely assimilated. Except for maybe Fryguy....

Damnit, now you've got me wondering what all SMB2 enemies appeared/didn't appear in later games!

I just want to know if they ever did anything with Wart and Mouser.
500%!

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Are we counting SMB Choose Your Own Adventure books? If not....no. Not even in spinoff games, I think....
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:00 am UTC

I liked those SMB books...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Ok, I've managed to piece my head back together. :P

So, controlling cuccos? I know you can pick them up and glide using them, but controlling them? How does that work?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

if its like OoT, then you presumably just use the control stick....except that I think you're kinda locked into a "strafe" mode with them, if that makes sense. You can move forwards, backwards, left and right, but can't turn....so make sure you're aimed right ahead of time...

(Someone feel free to correct me on this please, I haven't played this one in a while....)
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Return to “Gaming”