Watches

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

J the Ninja

Re: Watches

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:20 am UTC

This is my watch:
IMG_0238.JPG

My grandma gave it to me some years ago (13th birthday present, IIRC). Some googling shows this one runs somewhere in the $350 range, which is several multiples of what I'd spend on a watch. I hadn't worn in much in the past few years, but recently I've started wearing it so I don't need to twist around to check the clock or pull out my iPhone in class.

It also makes me look more badass. I'm also beginning to question why right-handed people should wear a watch on their left hand. I never really got that, and am thinking of wearing it on my right hand more. I can't see myself using a pocketwatch though. If I'm going for my pocket to check the time, I might as well just pull out my iPhone. Wristwatches are more convenient, and double as jewelry.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:I'm also beginning to question why right-handed people should wear a watch on their left hand. I never really got that, and am thinking of wearing it on my right hand more.

I think a few reasons have been given in the thread already but they don't matter much to me. I'm right-handed. I wear my watch on my right hand. It feels more natural.

I tried to wear it on my left hand for like two weeks but it just never felt right ;)
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Red_Green_Blue

Postby Red_Green_Blue » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 am UTC

I wear a simple Stainless Steel Fossil Watch, it was a graduation gift and not a day goes by I don't wear it. It has unfortunately seem some rough times, there is a scratch on the face and the band itself could be touched up (And there's a small bit of Tar wedged between the crystal and the face, too.) It still looks good as long as nobody looks at it closely and I'll wear it with whatever I'm wearing that day.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Dason wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:I'm also beginning to question why right-handed people should wear a watch on their left hand. I never really got that, and am thinking of wearing it on my right hand more.

I think a few reasons have been given in the thread already but they don't matter much to me. I'm right-handed. I wear my watch on my right hand. It feels more natural.

I tried to wear it on my left hand for like two weeks but it just never felt right ;)

I'm right-handed and go left-hand-watch because I usually check my watch whilst performing other tasks, and said tasks are usually being done with the right hand.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

loungelover

Postby loungelover » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

My watches, the big one is a limited edition that i got as a present and the small one is a swatch that i bought because the other one is a little big for day to day use. I wear them on my left hand with the big one you have to, I don't think it would be hard to break your wrist on the controls.
The swatch is cool its pretty small and you can wear it with any thing, the only problem is it counts 31 days for every month so you have to reset it.
I find that I prefer analogue watches especially for timing developing film and prints.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

This thread inspired me to go get my watch battery fixed, so technically I owe you all a thanks.

I do not have a photo of my own watch at the moment, but it is basically:
Spoiler:

But with a purple strap. I really love it. It has a bit of a learning curve, and when I first got it it did take me some time to learn how to read it. Once you have the hang of it, though, it's really easy. To me, it's a whole lot easier than reading an analogue clock, with the bonus that if people see you using it, they tend to marvel at you. It's also a great ice-breaker!

I'd also like to weigh in that I'm right-handed, but wear my watch on the right hand. It never struck me that this was an odd thing to do until an inordinate number of people started to ask if I was left-handed. It just feels more comfortable on that side, and it's easier to look at.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

So for all us out there who can't be bothered to put the thought in, what time does that watch actually read? (I'm sleepy, don't expect me to think :P )
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

5:15
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

Oh yeah, I was reading the bottom line as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 15, "something" that makes a lot more sense now and I also feel rather silly. Oh well.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

It's not the most practical timepiece (the pic reads 3:56, red is 1 hour, yellow is 5 mins, green is 1 min). Annoyingly one of the red LED's has an intermittent fault, so it's at the fixers at the moment...

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 am UTC

I always put mine on and take it off without really thinking about it. I love it though. My mom got it for me for Christmas a few years ago, after my old watch of 5+ years rusted. I only ever wear silver jewelry so it goes with everything I wear. I have been taking it for granted, I think I should start paying more attention to how wonderful it is.

LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 am UTC

I got this several years ago as a Christmas present, so it's not nearly that pretty anymore (all sortsa dinged and scratched now... and the brilliant blue has faded to a very nice sky-blue/silver), but I wear it every day, except when I'm at camp. When I'm at camp (or otherwise liable to break/lose my watch for long periods of time) I have a $10 WalMart watch I clip to a beltloop with my keys.

Spoiler:
close-up.jpg
close-up.jpg (64.2 KiB) Viewed 6733 times

I've always loved the idea of the pocket-watch, but can't think of a situation in which it wouldn't feel awkward pulling one out (I'm not quite geeky enough to pull it off :\)... but yet I've seen a bunch on here. Do you guys carry them often, or just when you're wearing a vest?
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 am UTC

I carry mine around in whatever jacket I happen to be wearing, be it a suit jacket or my scruffy travel-worn leather jacket.

My wrist watch has had to be sent back to the manufacturers to get a new clasp fitted. It's going to be 4 to 6 weeks, and I'm bracing myself for a bill in excess of £50. Still worth it for a £230 watch though.

So in the meantime, I have even more reason to use the pocket watch. If only I could remember to wind it up every day...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:15 am UTC

I've always wanted a watch, but I'm utterly unwilling to spend money on one cause I'm a lazy teenager with a phone. If I had a salaried job or something with a chunk of disposable income, I'd get a niceish one--and by that, I mean "not even close to nice in the world of watches, but still more than like, a hundred bucks."

I wonder if the used market is very good for watches. Grab a niceish one on the cheap.
uhhhh fuck.

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:I'm right-handed and go left-hand-watch because I usually check my watch whilst performing other tasks, and said tasks are usually being done with the right hand.

But if you're writing with your right hand and you want to check the time you're already looking basically right next to your wrist so it's even less effort to check the time!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:29 am UTC

No, because then I need to stop writing to turn my wrist. And what If I'm screwing in a lightbulb, or blowing people's heads off in TF2? Can't take your hand off the mouse for a second when you're playing heavy :P

Besides, even if I did change then I'd have to go through the awkward week of constantly looking at the wrong wrist for the time.

Midnight wrote:I wonder if the used market is very good for watches. Grab a niceish one on the cheap.

You can get really cheap and really nice looking ones at thrift shops and garage sales, but they're generally kind of hard to find in those places.
Last edited by BurningLed on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 am UTC

I've always been fond of the ol' digital Timex Ironman Triathlon. I've gone through a few of them over the many years; usually the buttons wear out one way or another. (The last one stopped beeping properly, probably because I was wearing it when it was -40 °C outside.) Function trumps style, I say! I'd prefer to have precision over whatever microseconds might be saved after learning how to glance at an analog face. Though I must admit the lap timer functionality is somewhat useless. Also, I'm not too fond of the way it keeps catching on my backpack straps lately when I take my backpack off.

What I find particularly unfortunate is that many years ago, Timex redesigned the computer in some subtle way so that it would instruct you to hold down the buttons when appropriate. However, in the process they removed the beep associated with the same functionality. It used to be possible to reset the chronometer without having to look at it; now, you can't quite be sure.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

I find myself terribly reliant on my watch. Sure when I'm out and about I often have my Android on me to tell me the time, or at home I can look at the bottom right hand corner of my laptop screen, but I feel especially 'naked' almost without the characteristic weighting of a watch on my left wrist (I've never gone with right, never felt natural).

For numerous years I've gone with digital, predominately Casio. The one I currently have features, among the usual timers/stopwatch/alarm, remote time synching with some sort of remote Casio server, and world clock rotating through timezones according to the three-character airport codes. Very useful on long plane journeys with stopovers and fun. Had it since my birthday last summer, having had a similar model last around 5 years before my wrist and I took a swim in a river - replacing the battery had cost it its water resistance.

Since summer '09 I've had one of the binary digital watches as existential_elevator linked above. I'd kinda stopped using it of late, but it's quite fancy to pull out and confuse friends.

It's been a long time since I've had an analogue. Over a decade ago when my dad went out to Hong Kong, this being in the time of an undying love of mine for James Bond movies, I'd requested an Omega Seamaster watch [damn Pierce Brosnan merchandising]. I got one and enjoyed it muchly, but quickly found that a) my classmates didn't believe it was legit, informing me Hong Kong watches are all fake, and b) the mechanism would shut down if my wrist stayed static for five/ten minutes or so, causing it to swiftly go out of alignment. Didn't take long for me to just put it aside out of b), but many years later had dad confirm in passing a) was correct.

As a prelude to last year's birthday when parents bought me this digital, they also wanted to organise me buying a flash 'dress' analogue to have alongside an 'everyday' digital. I may have kinda aggravated them by going through so many jewellers shops trying on watches and finding they were just far too expensive for me to comfortably want it and the rest having small quirks in design that turned me off.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Hear ye! I herby necro this thread to announce that, after 12 months at my cheap, friendly but not very speedy local watch repairers, I have my favourite watch back. It's a rare Tag, from the period when they were moving from the 2000 classic (which saved the company from going bust in the 80s) to the 2000 pro (which had the same face but a bigger, shinier case which I don't like as much). My wife bought this for me from Selfridges for our 1st Chrismas after we got married and I wore it every day for the next 10 years.

It then broke (mainspring) and I started my flirtation with Omega (I was going through brief period of having a little money). Now we're broke, it's back and I remember how much I love it. More Jason Bourne than James Bond, and none the worse for that.
photo.JPG
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

pizzazz

Postby pizzazz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Watch this: http://www.momentumwatch.com/pages/products/list-of-products/m1.php?family=M1&dial=Orange&band=Black_Hyper_Natural_Rubber

It's a dive watch, water resistant to 20 atmospheres (well over 600 feet, which is over 4 times the maximum recreational depth, so that's never going to be relevant for me, but it's cool anyway). The bezel turns to make it easier to keep track of your dive time; just turn until the glow in the dark dot is above the minute hand, and then the minute hand will point towards the number of minutes you've timed. It only rotates one way, so you can overestimate your elapsed time, but not overestimate it, as that would be a serious safety hazard when diving.

eigengirl wrote:
Which wrist do people tend to wear theirs on? Most people I know think it's odd tht I have mine on my right wrist (I'm right-handed), but that's what seems natural to me.

On the occasion that I wear mine (not very often, as it's a bit bulky and I almost always have my phone), despite being righty, I put it on my right hand (this may have actually contributed to my not wearing it as much, as a bulky watch on your writing hand is kind of annoying. For some reason it feels weird putting or leaving my watch on the other hand.

jasc15

Postby jasc15 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Only just found this thread! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a watch geek (well, to be honest, I'm a geek in most areas). I've worn a watch every day since I was 5. I think I'd feel undressed without one. I also love mechanical watches.

I particularly like Omega thanks to their links to the NASA space programme. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go around buying new Omega watches, so I taught myself basic watch repair skills. (It would have been better if I'd developed a cheaper habit, like, say, crack cocaine).

I'm also hooked on mechanical clocks. Sad, I know...

How difficult was it to learn basic watch repair? I have a love for clocks and watches, but hadn't considered getting into watch repair.

I also love mechanical clocks. I designed and built one last year, but it remains incomplete in my garage. At least I have proof that it runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZYutRylMI

More recently, I bought a kit with precut plywood parts to see if I could learn what I am doing wrong with my clock (also so I could have something to hang on my wall.)

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

I'm left handed, wear my watch on my left hand too, it's a cheap £25 casio, which I got from argos, it's stainless steel both body and strap, and 50m water resistant, and has both analogue and digital display, which is cool.

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 am UTC

... Seems most people here love their wrist watches. I absolutely can't stand wearing things on my wrists. Doesn't feel natural/comfortable/right to me. Really bugs me. I always end up taking a pocket watch off my wrist and putting it into my pocket. I usually just check my phone/mp3 player/a clock for the time. I did have a pocket watch (unfortunately it broke after a few years and I never got around to fixing it), but blegh I hate wrist watches.

</rant>

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 am UTC

Quantum Sunshine wrote:... Seems most people here love their wrist watches. I absolutely can't stand wearing things on my wrists. Doesn't feel natural/comfortable/right to me. Really bugs me. I always end up taking a pocket watch off my wrist and putting it into my pocket. I usually just check my phone/mp3 player/a clock for the time. I did have a pocket watch (unfortunately it broke after a few years and I never got around to fixing it), but blegh I hate wrist watches.

</rant>

When I first started wearing a wrist watch I didn't really like the feeling. Over time it became part of me. When I wasn't wearing my watch I felt... wrong. I felt naked. I wasn't myself. Sadly my watch broke and I couldn't get it fixed for quite some time. I grew out of needing to have a watch on my wrist to feel whole. During that time I used my cell phone for my clock. This made my immediate family happy since before this I rarely ever had my cell phone on me so it wasn't the easiest to contact me.

Then I met the woman who was to become my wife. She gave me an amazing gift in the form of a Citizen Eco-Drive. The best watch on the market? Definitely not. But it means a lot to me and my wrist feels natural again. I don't need to worry about the battery either which is very nice.

In short - I know how you feel. Wearing a watch doesn't feel natural immediately. For some people it might never feel natural (and it sounds like you're one of those people). I, however, am burdened by a desire to have a beautiful piece of metal attached to my wrist at all times to inform me of the current hour. I love my watch.

This rant brought to you by one too many gin and tonics...

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
SlyReaper wrote:My watch.

Closed:

DSC00044.JPG

Front:

DSC00046.JPG

Back:

DSC00047.JPG

I have the same watch, except I have it in silver (I really don't like gold).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 am UTC

I got my watch for this Christmas, and so far I'm loving it. I'm right-handed and wear it on my left hand, but I know at one stage when I was a young'in I wore a watch on my right (For about 2 weeks, I'd say, since I don't remember anything about said watch). It has a tachymeter on the rim (That's the given spelling, but it doesn't seem right. Tachyometer? Dunno.) but I have no idea how to use it, and Wikikikipedia is not helping much. As you can see, I have about the skinniest wrist possible, and had to have 4! links taken out. They're not exactly small links either. Oh, and by the way, it's a Fossil watch. Has a timer on it too, but it's hard to read - I just count how many revolutions the min hand goes back as I reset it.
Spoiler:

Stupid blurry iPhone picture, but I am loath to get out the DSLR to take a picture of my wrist.

existential_elevator wrote:This thread inspired me to go get my watch battery fixed, so technically I owe you all a thanks.

I do not have a photo of my own watch at the moment, but it is basically:
Spoiler:

But with a purple strap. I really love it. It has a bit of a learning curve, and when I first got it it did take me some time to learn how to read it. Once you have the hang of it, though, it's really easy. To me, it's a whole lot easier than reading an analogue clock, with the bonus that if people see you using it, they tend to marvel at you. It's also a great ice-breaker!

I'd also like to weigh in that I'm right-handed, but wear my watch on the right hand. It never struck me that this was an odd thing to do until an inordinate number of people started to ask if I was left-handed. It just feels more comfortable on that side, and it's easier to look at.
Do want, so much. The wantitude is coursing through my veins, heating my blood. It also has the unfortunate side effect of killing me, but eh. Might have to find a non -Thinkgeek way to acquire one; the prices for postage are exorbitant, as are the prices in general.

Return to “General”