Wil Wheaton on the TSA

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

umbak

Re: Wil Wheaton on the TSA

Postby umbak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

hey everybody look this poor actor was touched by the TSA !!! HOW DAREEEE THEY ????? poor guy was just trying to make a couple more millions and the BIG BAD GOVERNMENT was trying to stop him !!!

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

umbak wrote:hey everybody look this poor actor was touched by the TSA !!! HOW DAREEEE THEY ????? poor guy was just trying to make a couple more millions and the BIG BAD GOVERNMENT was trying to stop him !!!

You registered for this? Oy. Reported.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

umbak

Postby umbak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
umbak wrote:hey everybody look this poor actor was touched by the TSA !!! HOW DAREEEE THEY ????? poor guy was just trying to make a couple more millions and the BIG BAD GOVERNMENT was trying to stop him !!!

You registered for this? Oy. Reported.

This forum is so biased it makes me sick... STAR TREK GUY SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE TSA ! MUST.CREATE.THREAD. EVERYONE WILL REPLY BECAUSE IT INVOLVES STAR TREK AND DEEP HATRED FOR THE BIG BAD TSA GUVMINT

umbak

Postby umbak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

hmm.... i don't agree with what this guy is saying... I KNOW! I'll report him and and i'll tell him that i reported him ! that'll teach him to not mess with the internet

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

You must have mistaken this for a Fox news comment thread. If I may humbly redirect you to the proper website.
http://www.foxnews.com/
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

To begin, your claim that that Wil Wheaton is poor stands in contrast with your claim that he was trying to "make a couple more millions." Unless you are claiming that by "poor" you mean that Mr. Wheaton's acting skills are sub-par. In either case, his personal wealth or thespian ability bears no relevance to his experience passing through airport security. It is doubtful that the TSA agent(s) who performed Mr. Wheaton's screening were even aware of his celebrity.

As for the TSA daring to touch him, recent changes to procedures permit the TSA to perform an enhanced pat-down procedure in lieu of a backscatter imaging device. Mr. Wheaton's experience is one of many who feel uncomfortable with either option. The debate taking place in this particular thread has been recently focused on whether such measures provide any value. This same debate has not only taken place here, but in countless other forums and venues both around the Internet and in real life.

Regarding the "BIG BAD GOVERNMENT" trying to stop him, the TSA did not detain him any longer than it took to conduct the screening and allowed him to board his flight to Vancouver, BC where he filmed several scenes for the SyFy show Eureka as a guest. Considering the immense resources of the government, and their ability to detain individuals, I sincerely doubt their intention was to stop him.

umbak wrote:This forum is so biased it makes me sick... STAR TREK GUY SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE TSA ! MUST.CREATE.THREAD. EVERYONE WILL REPLY BECAUSE IT INVOLVES STAR TREK AND DEEP HATRED FOR THE BIG BAD TSA GUVMINT

Star Trek - The Next Generation, for which Mr. Wheaton became initially famous, has been out of production since 1994. While it has enjoyed some airtime in syndication, it is not the pop-cultural phenomenon it once was, and is not likely to drive people to reply to this thread solely for a single actor's tie-in to an old science fiction show. With the exception of the initial posting, and perhaps a few posts on the first page, Mr. Wheaton's tie in to this story has gone mostly unnoticed.

In conclusion, your abuse of grammar, spelling, and generally poor style of writing shows a profound ignorance for the English language and conducting civilized discourse. Your assertions based on unfounded assumptions also shows that you are unfamiliar with both the topic of this thread as well as the users who frequent this forum and have contributed to this topic. I encourage you to, as we say around here, lurk more on the marginal yet improbable chance that you may eventually contribute something of value in later posts.

Sincerely,
Summer Glau
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

P.S., don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Conner Chronicles on Fox!

I have to say, there is often nothing more satisfying than meticulously deconstruction the huge array of flaws in the simplest troll post.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 am UTC

JBJ wrote:With the exception of the initial posting, and perhaps a few posts on the first page, Mr. Wheaton's tie in to this story has gone mostly unnoticed.

That can also be said of pretty much any thread here that makes it past two or three pages.

umbak: You'll notice that everyone who has responded to you has given you the courtesy of constructing an actual argument (or at least complete, grammatically correct sentences). Try to do the same. And don't be a hater, Wil has some wise words you should heed.

umbak

Postby umbak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:

To begin, your claim that that Wil Wheaton is poor stands in contrast with your claim that he was trying to "make a couple more millions." Unless you are claiming that by "poor" you mean that Mr. Wheaton's acting skills are sub-par. In either case, his personal wealth or thespian ability bears no relevance to his experience passing through airport security. It is doubtful that the TSA agent(s) who performed Mr. Wheaton's screening were even aware of his celebrity.

As for the TSA daring to touch him, recent changes to procedures permit the TSA to perform an enhanced pat-down procedure in lieu of a backscatter imaging device. Mr. Wheaton's experience is one of many who feel uncomfortable with either option. The debate taking place in this particular thread has been recently focused on whether such measures provide any value. This same debate has not only taken place here, but in countless other forums and venues both around the Internet and in real life.

Regarding the "BIG BAD GOVERNMENT" trying to stop him, the TSA did not detain him any longer than it took to conduct the screening and allowed him to board his flight to Vancouver, BC where he filmed several scenes for the SyFy show Eureka as a guest. Considering the immense resources of the government, and their ability to detain individuals, I sincerely doubt their intention was to stop him.

umbak wrote:This forum is so biased it makes me sick... STAR TREK GUY SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE TSA ! MUST.CREATE.THREAD. EVERYONE WILL REPLY BECAUSE IT INVOLVES STAR TREK AND DEEP HATRED FOR THE BIG BAD TSA GUVMINT

Star Trek - The Next Generation, for which Mr. Wheaton became initially famous, has been out of production since 1994. While it has enjoyed some airtime in syndication, it is not the pop-cultural phenomenon it once was, and is not likely to drive people to reply to this thread solely for a single actor's tie-in to an old science fiction show. With the exception of the initial posting, and perhaps a few posts on the first page, Mr. Wheaton's tie in to this story has gone mostly unnoticed.

In conclusion, your abuse of grammar, spelling, and generally poor style of writing shows a profound ignorance for the English language and conducting civilized discourse. Your assertions based on unfounded assumptions also shows that you are unfamiliar with both the topic of this thread as well as the users who frequent this forum and have contributed to this topic. I encourage you to, as we say around here, lurk more on the marginal yet improbable chance that you may eventually contribute something of value in later posts.

Sincerely,
Summer Glau

Bom, já que a minha ignorância pela língua inglesa foi provada por seus infalíveis argumentos, vamos discutir na minha língua materna. Gostaria de enfatizar que a revolução dos costumes cumpre um papel essencial na formulação dos modos de operação convencionais, nunca é demais lembrar o peso e o significado destes problemas, uma vez que o novo modelo estrutural aqui preconizado pode nos levar a considerar a reestruturação dos modos de operação convencionais.
No mundo atual, a contínua expansão de nossa atividade cumpre um papel essencial na formulação da gestão inovadora da qual fazemos parte, podemos já vislumbrar o modo pelo qual o novo modelo estrutural aqui preconizado talvez venha a ressaltar a relatividade dos procedimentos normalmente adotados.

É importante questionar o quanto a consulta aos diversos militantes exige a precisão e a definição das diretrizes de desenvolvimento para o futuro, a certificação de metodologias que nos auxiliam a lidar com o acompanhamento das preferências de consumo representa uma abertura para a melhoria das condições inegavelmente apropriadas.

Termino este texto dizendo que as besteiras que vocês discutem aqui não passam de masturbação mental e vocês inocentemente acreditam que estão contribuindo para um mundo melhor com os seus comentários narcisistas.

Tenha um bom dia, eunuco.

I realise the rules don't actually specify you should use English here. That's an oversight on our part. But seriously, if you're going to accuse people of mental masturbation, do so in a language that more people here than just yourself can understand. Playing with yourself is pretty much the definition of masturbation, after all - the rest of us, at least, are engaging in group activities. -Hawk

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Um... Welcome to N&A? That's kind of the point of all conversation here. It's like enjoying the sound of your own voice, but in text.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Sero

Postby Sero » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Huh. Portuguese. Google translate made an attempt at it, and the result is largely...Well, incomprehensible might not be the right word, but much of the meaning is lost in the translation, I suspect. What snippets seem coherent, though, reading between the lines and so on, makes me think it's just more diatribe. That his signature came through pretty clearly, as 'Have a nice day, eunuch', well...

Actually, having looked more closely at the untranslated text, and words I can puzzle out despite my lack of fluency in Portuguese, makes me suspect it's not only diatribe but...unintelligible diatribe at that.

Umbak, first off, there's a certain logical inconsistency in switching to Portuguese on an english-speaking forum in an attempt to communicate more clearly. Hawknc was not, I believe, suggesting that we failed to comprehend your use of English. Despite your failings in the area of grammar and sentence structure, we, or I, at least, found your posts perfectly understandable from a language standpoint.

The problem is, you weren't saying anything of any merit or significance, weren't contributing to the discussion. Diatribe and vitriol are not reasoned discourse and debate. This is true in English or in Portuguese. Changing from spewing your vitriol in English to Portuguese does not change the actual content, or lack thereof, in your posts. It just puts you in violation of Wheaton's Law.

...(Hint for those of us for whom English is not their 'mother tongue', as Umbak put it: I'm calling you a dick.)
Princess Marzipan wrote:Dear God, we seriously just went and dug up CITATIONS for TORTURE being a WAR CRIME.

We have been fucking TROLLED, dear readers.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Yeah, using eunuch as an insult is not going to get you anything on this board but a ban.

And honestly... I don't think Google Translate lost that much meaning. umbak just said even less of consequence, in another language.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Sero

Postby Sero » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

That's what I figured when I actually stopped to look at the untranslated text and realized it really did look a lot like putting some marketing text through a markov chain text generator.

So, umh, I feel like I should be adding something on-topic, but...Well. TSA bad. Could really do with a bigger dose of 'What is most effective?' and 'How much security do we really need?' added to their decision making. All things I've said at great length before.
Princess Marzipan wrote:Dear God, we seriously just went and dug up CITATIONS for TORTURE being a WAR CRIME.

umbak

Postby umbak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Yeah, using eunuch as an insult is not going to get you anything on this board but a ban.

And honestly... I don't think Google Translate lost that much meaning. umbak just said even less of consequence, in another language.

Sero wrote:That's what I figured when I actually stopped to look at the untranslated text and realized it really did look a lot like putting some marketing text through a markov chain text generator.

So, umh, I feel like I should be adding something on-topic, but...Well. TSA bad. Could really do with a bigger dose of 'What is most effective?' and 'How much security do we really need?' added to their decision making. All things I've said at great length before.

Oh yeah sure, you don't understand a single fucking thing of portuguese and rely on google translator but I'm still the wrong one.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Pretty much. If you'll excuse us, some of us are trying to masturbate here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

umbak

Postby umbak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Contributing unsurprisingly little to the conversation. -Hawk

Sero

Postby Sero » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

This is an English speaking forum. I'm not sure we have an actual rule to that effect but it's overwhelmingly the language in use on this forum. You don't seem so ignorant, as you put it, in the use of English as to fail to make yourself understood when using it, so I have little choice but to interpret your switch to your 'lingua materna' as a deliberate attempt to NOT be understood. I will not acknowledge the validity of any criticism in my understanding of your post under those circumstances.

Enlighten us, then, if my limited (though far from a 'single fucking thing') comprehension of Portuguese and my effort, made in good faith, to understand by way of google translate, is inadequate to the task of conveying the gist, much less the fine nuance, of your post. Please, do, endeavor to render it in English for our edification.

I really can't wait to find out what "Tenha um bom dia, eunuco." ACTUALLY means.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

I really can't wait to find out what "Tenha um bom dia, eunuco." ACTUALLY means.

Hah. I don't need to know a word of Portuguese or have a translator to know that Google translated it correctly. But yeah, translator made it clear that he said absolutely nothing coherent, and just put a bunch of words together in a syntactically correct sentence.

umbak

Postby umbak » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 am UTC

If you really get turned on by the proper use of grammar, Hawk, I stand corrected, the proper term is Mental Circle Jerking.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:01 am UTC

umbak wrote:If you really get turned on by the proper use of grammar, Hawk, I stand corrected, the proper term is Mental Circle Jerking.

Because trolling is clearly such an altruistic activity, am I right?

More on topic: how often do these screenings occur? What percentage of people are actually taken to a body scanner? For whatever reason I can't find a number on this.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 am UTC

I've flown about six times since the whole hullaballo, and I haven't been scanned... I've seen a couple of people getting scanned, but that's it.

/anecdotal evidence

samusaran253

Postby samusaran253 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:00 am UTC

"I feel as though I've been violated"

Just like when he violated the law on that one planet and they tried to kill him?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:37 am UTC

samusaran253 wrote:"I feel as though I've been violated"

Just like when he violated the law on that one planet and they tried to kill him?

He just stood on the grass.

samusaran253

Postby samusaran253 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:46 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:

In an "enforcement zone" or whatever it was.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 am UTC

samusaran253 wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:

In an "enforcement zone" or whatever it was.

And how was he supposed to know that? Clearly the policemen on that planet were the violators. Then again, it could be argued that Picard was the violator as he violated the Prime Directive in order to recover him. Seriously though, the Prime Directive needs a few exceptions built in. Or it needs to be eliminated. But I really shouldn't go into that right now...

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:07 am UTC

guys you're not helping ಠ_ಠ
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 am UTC

I'm sure this was meant to be a joke, but belittling someone's emotional response to a situation like this is not particularly cool.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:More on topic: how often do these screenings occur? What percentage of people are actually taken to a body scanner? For whatever reason I can't find a number on this.

It's arbitrary. Depends on the airport, the shift, and what day it is. On National Opt-Out day, they just shut down most of the scanners and didn't send anyone through them, because they're so vital to our security.

Most of the times I've flown since then, they've made avoiding the scanners trivial. One line is scanning every person, while another has the scanner roped off.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:More on topic: how often do these screenings occur? What percentage of people are actually taken to a body scanner? For whatever reason I can't find a number on this.

It's arbitrary. Depends on the airport, the shift, and what day it is. On National Opt-Out day, they just shut down most of the scanners and didn't send anyone through them, because they're so vital to our security.

Most of the times I've flown since then, they've made avoiding the scanners trivial. One line is scanning every person, while another has the scanner roped off.

So, not only is it security theatre, it's bad security theatre as the TSA is broadcasting it as such.

Return to “News & Articles”