In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Quercus

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Quercus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am UTC

elasto wrote:
Quercus wrote:
but attention seeking is basically essential to the medium. Good art that noone gets to see is of little value at the end of the day
I disagree with this quite strongly. Unpublished and unpublicised art can nevertheless have a profound impact on the artist themselves.

I think you are taking what I said the wrong way. All I meant was that the more that good art is seen the more overall good it does. I guess for sake of clarity I should have written "attention seeking is basically essential to the medium. Good art that noone gets to see is of little value to society..."

Obviously each individual will take away what he takes away no matter whether he's one of ten to see it or one of a billion, but surely you agree that, all things being equal, a good artist whose work is seen widely is of exponentially more public good than one whose work is never seen.

Yeah, that's reasonable - I did indeed misinterpret your statement as something along the lines of "if your art isn't displayed or sold then what's the point of it"

This is like saying that therapy is of little value because no-one other than the therapist and the client gets to hear about it.

Well, to play devil's advocate, therapy that helps a person become better with his family and wider society is more beneficial than therapy that only benefits the client.

That's not to say that therapy that only improves the quality of life of a single client has no value, just that therapy that indirectly spills out to improve the quality of life of a wide circle has so much more.

This may be an unusual case but my art (principally photography) has at times been the sort of therapy that helps me become better with my family and wider society. In my case by helping me understand and process emotions in a much healthier way.

I'd contend that at lot of this discussion about the nature and purpose of art misses what is, to me, a vital component - the value of art to the artist as an expressive and explorative process, rather than the value to the consumer of art as a finished product.

The need to explore questions, externalise emotions or wrestle with problems are just as much drivers for the creation of art as the desire to say something to the world, influence people, gain recognition or make money.

As an artist myself, how could I disagree? But I still maintain if I create art that I and others enjoy it is of more value than when I create it for my enjoyment alone. But, yes, of course, I'd still create even if I were the last human being alive...

Yeah, I agree with this.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/scie ... s-win.html
Cats are useless as a solution to reducing the rat population, only removing the food supply.

Apparently the big bulky rats intimidate cats. When a group of feral cats moved into an area where researchers were studying cats, most of the rats just hid, but only 2 rats were killed in the entire time. The cats mostly ignored the rats.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 pm UTC

sardia wrote:The cats mostly ignored the rats.
This I had observed first-hand. The people at Gardeners' World were not receptive to my suggested alternative approach despite it having far less of an adverse effect on songbirds' breeding success than filling the garden with cats. Maybe if I was using potassium nitrate pellets, they'd like the idea more ...
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:22 am UTC

My old cat was not intimidated by any rats. He loved him some rat-murder!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:05 am UTC

One of our farm cats dragged in a full-grown cottontail rabbit. I seriously doubt she would have been intimidated by a large rat.
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 am UTC

I'm going to be back and forth in Maine. Do you New Yorkers need some Maine Coons? I think a Maine Coon would take down anything smaller than a corgi.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 am UTC

sardia wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/science/cats-v-rats-in-new-york-the-rats-win.html
Cats are useless as a solution to reducing the rat population, only removing the food supply.

Apparently the big bulky rats intimidate cats. When a group of feral cats moved into an area where researchers were studying cats, most of the rats just hid, but only 2 rats were killed in the entire time. The cats mostly ignored the rats.
I have experience with cats killing Birds, Lizards. Snakes...Just about anything that moves.
Then the cats ignored or watched the Rats.

Rats are mean and they fight back.
Cats are lazy, they like easy food.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:53 am UTC

I recall a TV programme about cats. Various housecats were exposed to toy mice-sized balls of fluff, most played with them (i.e. pounced and such, whether as a known game or instinct). But a bigger ball was attacked in such ways only by one cat, who had been born to a farm cat. The others were unsure about this rat-sized thing, but obviously our outlier's momma had exposed the kitten-as-was to the experience of larger rodents and demonstrated how to deal with it. It pounced on it with all four clawed paws, not just the two forward ones grappling it.

Raw felinity is one thing, but learning and experience seems to be important too.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:16 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I recall a TV programme about cats. Various housecats were exposed to toy mice-sized balls of fluff, most played with them (i.e. pounced and such, whether as a known game or instinct). But a bigger ball was attacked in such ways only by one cat, who had been born to a farm cat. The others were unsure about this rat-sized thing, but obviously our outlier's momma had exposed the kitten-as-was to the experience of larger rodents and demonstrated how to deal with it. It pounced on it with all four clawed paws, not just the two forward ones grappling it.

Raw felinity is one thing, but learning and experience seems to be important too.

So someone taught my little dude how to kill rats?

Awesome!

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:26 pm UTC

Capybara: rodents, bug bigger and not as mean:

"We're going to need a bigger cat."
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm going to be back and forth in Maine. Do you New Yorkers need some Maine Coons? I think a Maine Coon would take down anything smaller than a corgi.

My old Maine Coon once killed and dragged in a woodchuck.

One of my current cats has recently 1. terrorized a fox who was after our chickens; 2. frightened away a raccoon and 3. considers murdering rats a pleasant afternoon. And he's pretty small for a Maine Coon at 20 lb (9kg).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “News & Articles”