Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm UTC

Because you can't make 20 years of salary last for 60 years of adulthood even with the pension? Many cops "double dip", where they spend 20 years enlisted and 20 years as a cop to get two pensions instead of one (honestly, the ex-mil cops are probably the best ones), and it's even possible for a cop that gets a job as a mail carrier while being in the army reserve throughout can get three pensions.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 pm UTC

It’s not that cops who are fired for violence should never be hired for any job ever again—it’s that they should not be hired for jobs that involve potential violence as part of the job—e.g. law enforcement and security jobs. They should be employed in nice safe desk jobs instead where they won’t be prone to getting into violent incidents.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:54 am UTC

Nah my point was that I am entirely okay with former cops being unhirable.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:06 am UTC

I think we need a program to help rehabilitate cops so they can become productive members of society
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

This story is less about the police doing wrong and more about a large company using the police to do wrong, but this was the closest thread to that topic I could find.

Basically, many 7-11 stores are owned by private individuals who then give a large part of their income to the larger company. If a store violates the agreement, then the large company can take possession of it from the owners. Allegedly, the company is encouraging ICE to target its stores, because violation of immigration laws is also a violation of the agreement. The company also has a history of doing controversial actions in an attempt to gain control of the stores.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

idonno

Postby idonno » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm UTC

Isn't it a bad idea to shoot someone who has a gun held to a hostage because an involuntary jerk can cause the gun to discharge and shoot the hostage. Even if he had been "the bad guy", I'm pretty sure this was an awful response that could have gotten the other guy, the one who they were supposedly trying to protect, killed.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:57 pm UTC

sardia wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-11-09/7-eleven-is-at-war-with-its-own-franchisees-over-ice-raids?srnd=businessweek-v2
Actual link.

Oops. I have no idea how that happened.
-Socrates

Euphonium
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

Postby Euphonium » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm UTC

Honestly, willingness to sign up to wield a baton against your neighbors in the first place, is itself a sign of moral unfitness to do the task.

Anyone who wants to be a cop ipso facto lacks the character necessary to do so.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 am UTC

Literally, the only person who died was the one person who was doing his job. He was shot and killed by the police.

If the police had simply failed to show up, no one would have died.

I have a suspicion this is true in a lot of cases.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 am UTC

Does ICE count in here? I feel like it should.

ICE argues that they shouldn't be held liable for criminal institutional assualt because it's consensual and 'they're not a jail or prison'.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/ice-detention-center-says-its-not-responsible?fbclid=IwAR36ebnwYHe5i-0dVCqDqkaTVswOQdSorUk_X64ZqjpQbbcL793G2V2aDBo
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Does ICE count in here? I feel like it should.

ICE argues that they shouldn't be held liable for criminal institutional assualt because it's consensual and 'they're not a jail or prison'.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/ice-detention-center-says-its-not-responsible?fbclid=IwAR36ebnwYHe5i-0dVCqDqkaTVswOQdSorUk_X64ZqjpQbbcL793G2V2aDBo

I doubt the anti immigration faction thought far enough ahead to plan systemic rape into their conga line of awfulness. This is like a bug that they'll say is a feature. Using contractors to weasel out of responsibility is a time honored practice of scum everywhere.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 pm UTC

Jesus fucking Christ.

How the fuck can you work for ICE, go home at the end of the day, and tell yourself that you're a good person who did a good job?

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm UTC

The same way a diplomat for the US can. Did you know that a branch of ice brought down an immigration crime ring that was robbing illegals with fake visas?
The government is a big place.

That said, this is fucking awful as a defense. I hope they lose hard.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 pm UTC

Umm. Wow. Just... wow. I can't even.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 am UTC

Fail: Confuses "consent" and "submit."
In all fairness...

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am UTC

Bureau of Justice Statistics wrote:PREA [Prison Rape Elimination Act] applies to all correctional facilities, including prisons, jails, juvenile facilities, military and Indian country facilities, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facilities.

I get a feeling I know who is going to lose this case.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=20
-Socrates

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 am UTC

Bureau of Justice Statistics wrote:PREA [Prison Rape Elimination Act] applies to all correctional facilities, including prisons, jails, juvenile facilities, military and Indian country facilities, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facilities.

Seriously? Did you read that? PREA doesn't do anything about the pot boiling over, it's only about watching the pot boil over. The sexual assaults at ICE facilities will be carefully recorded in a spreadsheet.

Edit: quoted the wrong article from the thread
In all fairness...

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

I think the point of quoting PREA was to confirm that contrary to what ICE is saying, their detention centers are in fact correctional facilities just like prisons and subject to the same rules.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think the point of quoting PREA was to confirm that contrary to what ICE is saying, their detention centers are in fact correctional facilities just like prisons and subject to the same rules.

Unless of course they're fucking ballsy and refuse to categorize contracted buildings as prisons. They can do this because they're hoping nobody is going to fully challenge the bureaucracy. Same reason cops are always in danger for their lives. Just a rubber stamp lie to get away with misconduct.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm UTC

I do not even know what to say about this.

Boston Globe wrote:The previously undisclosed program, called “Quiet Skies,” specifically targets travelers who “are not under investigation by any agency and are not in the Terrorist Screening Data Base,” according to a Transportation Security Administration bulletin in March.

The internal bulletin describes the program’s goal as thwarting threats to commercial aircraft “posed by unknown or partially known terrorists,” and gives the agency broad discretion over which air travelers to focus on and how closely they are tracked.

But some air marshals, in interviews and internal communications shared with the Globe, say the program has them tasked with shadowing travelers who appear to pose no real threat — a businesswoman who happened to have traveled through a Mideast hot spot, in one case; a Southwest Airlines flight attendant, in another; a fellow federal law enforcement officer, in a third.

It is a time-consuming and costly assignment, they say, which saps their ability to do more vital law enforcement work.
-Socrates

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:49 am UTC

Well, I know exactly what to say. It rhymes with "muck" and people usually say it about "tha police." Only this time, I'm saying it about the USA PATRIOT Act and the TSA.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 am UTC

What does this even accomplish? Is this genuinely better than choosing who to follow based on rolling dice and consulting a random encounter table?

Subject exhibited Behavior Indicators. (If observed, check any that apply below)

Rubbing/wringing of hands
Strong body odor
Sweaty palms
Trembling
Cold penetrating stare
Spoiler:
stare.gif
stare.gif (851.12 KiB) Viewed 419 times

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 am UTC

So in other words, nervous people are up to no good, as opposed to being, say, afraid of flying due to phobia or fear of terrorist attacks?

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:39 am UTC

ijuin wrote:So in other words, nervous people are up to no good, as opposed to being, say, afraid of flying due to phobia or fear of terrorist attacks?

... or afraid of TSA and their 'nudity scanners'...

(Yes I know the scanners don't provide suitably wankable images (though Rule 34...), but that doesn't mean the flying public understands they're not being seen in their alltogether nudity).
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:44 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
ijuin wrote:So in other words, nervous people are up to no good, as opposed to being, say, afraid of flying due to phobia or fear of terrorist attacks?

... or afraid of TSA and their 'nudity scanners'...

(Yes I know the scanners don't provide suitably wankable images (though Rule 34...), but that doesn't mean the flying public understands they're not being seen in their alltogether nudity).

Are you sure that's not how the airport scanners work?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
Subject exhibited Behavior Indicators. (If observed, check any that apply below)

Strong body odor
Sweaty palms
So ... anyone who's making a long three-changes flight back from any remote place via airports without good air conditioning, then?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am UTC

4 year old kid spends 8 hours locked in minivan at police impound.

http://www.wsfa.com/2018/11/14/year-old ... e-impound/
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Return to “News & Articles”