Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Coyne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 am UTC

Chen wrote:Forgetting the lack of punishment for the moment (which is sadly not unexpected) what would the charge have been here? The person didnt die. There was no intent to kill. Would it have just been assault? Assault with a deadly weapon? Some sort of attempted murder?

I'm not sure. Let's have a civilian black man accidentally shoot a person instead of tasering him and see how he gets charged. No doubt that would be fair, right?
In all fairness...

idonno

Postby idonno » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 am UTC

If you completely believe their story, they accidentally shot someone who was trying to hide evidence, both left the cell so the wounded man was alone with the evidence, and he managed to dispose of it while they were gone.

Police have training for handling gunshot wounds. How is it not a major issue that they both abandoned someone in their care after accidentally shooting him (even if it was only for a bit)? How is it not a major issue that they knowingly left the guy alone with a piece of evidence that they knew he was trying to dispose of?

Without even calling into question their story or bringing up how bad accidentally shooting someone instead of tasering them is, I don't see how you can not come to the conclusion that these two officers lack the competency to do their job properly.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I think the use of these things counts as misbehaviour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dQj8N196g

...If you bring a key, you can unlock a gun? This is news?

This is a device to slow a thief or small child. Which is what it does. Of course it could be defeated by specific lockpicking devices. It is not and never was designed to stop an adult from permanently accessing the locked device.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:This is a device to slow a thief or small child. Which is what it does. Of course it could be defeated by specific lockpicking devices. It is not and never was designed to stop an adult from permanently accessing the locked device.

Surely a child being able to accidentally access one of these counts as failure though, right? The child in the video was obviously trained, but can you not imagine a child picking up and dropping something at some point, then curiously looking inside when it opens after the fall?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:46 pm UTC

Regarding the police rifle lock, it does not show a child opening the lock, it shows an adult (probably locksmith) opening it with lock-picking devises.

Regarding the gun safe video, I'm skeptical of how much editing happened. I consider it bad faith that it didn't mention training the child for the specific safes. At the extreme end, maybe the safes weren't even locked at the start of those clips? On a more moderate end, the drop-then-open clip starts in the middle of the child interacting with the safe, maybe that was the child's hundredth attempt?

Also, (to the best of my knowledge) gun safes that small are pretty rare, and should themselves be kept both out of reach of children and hidden from them.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Also, (to the best of my knowledge) gun safes that small are pretty rare, and should themselves be kept both out of reach of children and hidden from them.
Yep.
And; A safe used properly is secured to the floor joists, wall studs or ceiling joists
by hardware that is accessed from the inside of the safe.

What the Hell good is a safe you can pick up and carry away?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Regarding the police rifle lock, it does not show a child opening the lock, it shows an adult (probably locksmith) opening it with lock-picking devises.
A magnet and the key from a set of novelty handcuffs bought for $5 at the nearest branch of Ann Summers?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 pm UTC

Mea culpa, I didn't actually watch the video with sound and I said a stupid thing.

That said, police firearms being stolen isn't that much of an issue. That's not a very good lock, but it doesn't really need to be. Robbing a cop car is still a comically inefficient way of acquiring a firearm.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Return to “News & Articles”